• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down-smash > Footstool > Ledge-grab.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
This thread is going to explain how exactly this is done, and why it is amazing.

Now, this may seem like a terrible idea when one can spike out of a down-smash, but consider this. You can DI spikes, and you can meteor-cancel spikes. If the opponent is not killed from you down-b, you are now in a terrible position. If you are offstage, YOU are getting edgeguarded. If you are onstage, you are almost guaranteed to get hit. With downsmash > footstool, neither of these scenarios can ever occur.

Here is a video showing the downsmash > footstool, and who it works on.

Please note: The assumption when using this, is that the character has used their double jump (or in the case or Kirby/Jiggs, multiple jumps) in order to try to recover. Every character in the game survives if they keep their double jump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KojNS1UuaOo

A condensed version of the characters is here, in alphabetical order.

Bowser: Dies - Tether

Captain Falcon: Dies - Either.

Captain Olimar: Dies. - Drop down.

Diddy Kong: Put in a terrible position for edgeguarding. Almost guaranteed dair follow-up, which WILL result in death
after ~30%.

Donkey Kong: Dies. No ledge-grab needed.

Falco: Dies. - Either.

Fox: Dies. - Either

Ganondorf: Dies - Either.

Ice Climbers (together): If you footstool Nana, Popo can save her. If you footstool Popo, they die.

Ice Climbers (SoPo): Dies

Ike: Lives. (Lands on stage.) Possible edgeguard opportunity.

Jigglypuff: Dies if Jiggs has used 3 or more jumps while trying to recover.

King DeDeDe: Lives. (Lands on stage.) Possible edgeguard opportunity.

Kirby: Dies if Kirby has used all of his jumps while trying to recover.

Link: Dies. (Unless bomb is in hand, and explodes while he is high.) - Drop down.

Lucario: Lives. (Lands on stage.) Possible edgeguard opportunity.

Lucas: Lives. (Lands on stage.) Possible edgeguard opportunity. You can dair the PKT if you're god-like and still kill
Lucas.

Luigi: Dies. - Drop down.

Mario: Dies. - Drop down.

Marth: Dies. - Drop down.

MK: LIVES! (Lands on stage.) Don't even try to edgeguard. Just spike him and hope for the best.

Mr. Game and Watch: Lives. (Lands on stage.) No possible edgeguard but dair.

Ness: Dies. - Either.

Peach: Dies. - Tether.

Pikachu: Lives. (Lands on stage.) No possible edgeguard but dair.

Pit: Lives. (Lands on stage.) Possible followup to knock Pit out of his up-b.

Squirtle: Dies. - Either.

Ivysaur: Dies. - Drop down.

Charizard: Dies. - Either.

ROB: Lives. (Lands on stage.) Possible edgeguard opportunity.

Samus: Lives? (Lands on stage.)

Sheik: Dies. - Either.

Snake: Lives. (Lands on stage.) Possible edgeguard opportunity.

Sonic: Lives. (Lands on stage.) Possible follow-up in video.

Toon Link: Lives. (Lands on stage.) Possible edgeguard opportunity.

Wario: Dies if waft and bike is used. Dair followup will knock Wario out of his bike 100% of the time, which WILL kill.

Wolf: Dies. - Tether.

Yoshi: Technically cannot get hit unless he does an attack out of his DJ. If he does, he dies.

Zelda: Dies. - Either.

ZSS: Dies. Drop down.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Nice thread. I dont think ZSS would die tho, Down b in wall and DJ will prolly make her survive.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
I tend to double jump instead of footstool :( I'll have to practice I guess, cause this is pretty cool

Nice thread. I dont think ZSS would die tho, Down b in wall and DJ will prolly make her survive.
This assumes no double jump, everyone can make it back with a double jump. I think we could tether before the footstooling ZS could get in range to tether

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Okay... the list needs some modifying. I just saved the replays I need, and will have a video up by tonight.
Like... almost everybody dies. It's freaking amazing.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I haven't red it all yet,
but would it be possible make a picture of the marginal of ZSS' footstool?
At least a *pretty * accurate picture.

Sort of a footstool-hitbubble.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Wait you're going to run offstage and dair diddy after you footstool him? OMG. I think downsmash to dair is cooler :D

Dakpo

Smash Lord
i guess i might just be missing the picture but if you dair of the edge ....you die? i get it if your behind by a lot or your a stock a head and you suicide to kill them too, but the way you guys are speaking of it is if you are using it in a safe way >_>

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Video is uploading. OP will be updated when it is done. :D

Also, the dair kills both of you... most of the time.
Unless the YI ghost is really kind to you, or something.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Can we nominate that for some kinda award?
2 gud.
The space animals furry comment made my day.

Scaphist

Smash Apprentice
Have you tested it with Captain Falcon/Ganon upbing into zamus? I was showing this to my friend who plays zss and we were fooling around with it. Using Ganon I could upB into him and I'd live(to wizkick spike him no less). My friend might have just been doing it wrong though.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
He should reel-in to the ledge faster.
Also, Ganon's up-b has 0 hitstun, so it shoudl never lead to anything but Ganon getting hit.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Double post.
Also, not very important to the thread.

YouTube randomly wants to pay me for putting ads on this video... hooray?

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
I successfully used this technique in a tournement last night and it made my game so much better. Mad props on the video and the thread. Ha, it increased my game alot.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
I've actually been doing this awhile and I love it, but I had no idea it worked on Marth or that sexy set up on Falco. =o <3

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Hey Nick, have you already figured that the higher the damage when they are Dsmashed - Footstool the longer they are in footstool stun?

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Hey Nick, have you already figured that the higher the damage when they are Dsmashed - Footstool the longer they are in footstool stun?
This is not true.
The d-smash stun is canceled by the footstool.
Footstools last the same amount of time, no matter what % the opponent is.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
At higher percents, they kind of float there then go into the footstool animation. So... it doesn't really "cancel" the stun at all percents, it just forces them to go into a tumble rather than them flying up.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
At higher percents, they kind of float there then go into the footstool animation. So... it doesn't really "cancel" the stun at all percents, it just forces them to go into a tumble rather than them flying up.
It only freezes them there if they were hit into your d-smash IIRC.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Nick, as of late I've done it again. When I Dsmash(uncharged) and then footstool my opponent, they fall, while shaking from the Dsmash stun, and don't recover for until it's too late.

Charged Dsmashes to footstools will end up not taking effect, until they fall out of the Dsmash stun.

Top Bottom