• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down throw + Dsmash or Up throw + Nair

Spazzy

Smash Apprentice
Should you use down throw + dsmash when they are at low percentage then use up throw + nair for kill move? Or always jsut use uthrow nair? Just curious

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Up-throw to nair is not guaranteed at low powercents. Down-throw to Down-smash is not guaranteed unless you cover their tech.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
I made two posts that i think mostly go over how to properly use G&W's throws.

G&W has a mixup between forward and back throw where the opponent is forced to guess on there DI. If you make them guess wrong they will go straight up and the follow ups will be free. If they guess right then they will get sent far away and follow ups will be difficult (but it is possible at some percents with good DI reaction). Up-throw doesn't play into the mixup because it always sends them high and their DI will help no matter what, so Up-throw is actually a pretty weak option.

I have played enough matches that I can say with tested experience that the first level meta (playing against someone new to G&W) is for them to always DI into the stage (they don't want to get edgeguarded). A more experienced player will eventually catch on and will start to tend towards DI off the stage (they would rather take the risk of edgeguard since G&W can't dash dance over the air).

When you really want to mess with their heads you will start adding in Down-throw. In theory, it's inferior because teching means G&W can't react to your DI, he has to guess too. But teching into the edge of the stage isn't going to help you out. And if you properly tech chase them the reward is a DSmash, FSmash, FTilt or re-grab. All of which are great rewards.
I didn't go over fast fallers and low % in that post.

At low percents (0-15-ish depending on character weight) up throw is good because max DI won't save them from up tilt or short hop up air. I would always Up throw then because if they Max DI a forward/back throw you don't have a lot of time to react.

Against fast fallers G&W has a few chain throws. I wish I knew more about the exact percents they work from for each character, but I don't. What I do know is that at zero they all hit the ground before you can get the re-grab, and most of them don't last long. When chain throwing up throw and forward throw both work, but slightly differently. Up throw works just like a normal chain throw you have to read their DI whether they are going to be in front or behind you. With forward throw they will always go forward, but their DI determines how far forward. The reason back throw doesn't work is because the throw's release point. All of G&W's throws release from behind him so with forward throw they actually have to travel across G&W, which is enough distance to allow him to catch up.
As for what follow ups to go for, the two you listed are straight to the point single hit damage, but if you really want to maximize G&W's potential then what you really need to go for is longer strings. Out of Up throw it's usually effective to go for Up-Air at lower percents. They do 9 damage a piece and it's not unheard of to string 3 of them together, just pay attention to when you need to cut your losses and finish with fair or nair for 16 damage. At higher percents you can still chase them down with Up-B, but if you miss getting the follow up right don't be afraid to at least try swinging a fair. Out of Down Throw the easiest follow up is still Down Smash if you expect they will miss the tech, but once they start teching regularly it's best to start thinking of the tech chase and mostly going for regrabs.

MS DOS

Smash Rookie
As long as you mix up your throws, some people won't tech a d-throw. In that case, d-smash works. (Although d-tilt also works, and I personally think it's a bit better. It's a bit more of a reliable kill move, and a lot easier to combo with than d-smash.) Still, you shouldn't rely too heavily on d-throw since some people will know to tech it.
I usually go for up-throw -> up-b -> n-air at higher percents.

Last edited:
Top Bottom