• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down throw shenanigans practice

3chairz

Smash Cadet
So I'm probably gonna get trolled for this, but here goes:

I'm the kind of player that can't get good at something without practice. Nothing comes naturally to me but I also have very little mental blocks. Anyway, I've been told by Duck (midwest samus player) that I need get more consistent at my dthrow -> aerial followups (or as Duck likes to call it, 'the dthrow bull****').

So, is there a way to practice that without just playing another human being? Like, is there a level of CPU that does random DI after dthrow, or some other method for me to practice dthrow followups?

Thxs in advance for the help guys!

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Dthrow aerial Samos or puff they have odd trajectories when dthrown but like .... That's all I can really come with. Are you trying to land dthrow aerial or hoping to do more with it?

:phone:

3chairz

Smash Cadet
Just trying to practice landing the correct ones on reaction. For example, if I grab samus/puff, and I downthrow them, all I want to do is fair them if they di away, and then uair/fair them otherwise. I just need practice so that I can do it on reaction 100% of the time.

Currently I have bad habits like reacting to DI behind with weak bair, or reacting to no di with nair, etc. Just trying to get these weird reactions out of my game.

Mr Wizzrobe

Smash Journeyman
If they get behind you, just turn around and fair/uair. They're usually not at an appropriate angle for a bair anyway, and not many people think of simply turning around and fairing them.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You can Uair them no matter how they DI.

Anyway, for practicing, just set the CPU Puff or Samus in training mode to evade.

To make them DI into you: run up to them and grab them as they try to jump over you / through you.

To make them DI away: run up to them, stop, let them up over you, and then dash towards them and grab them before they land.

Van.

Smash Ace
So I'm probably gonna get trolled for this, but here goes:

I'm the kind of player that can't get good at something without practice. Nothing comes naturally to me but I also have very little mental blocks. Anyway, I've been told by Duck (midwest samus player) that I need get more consistent at my dthrow -> aerial followups (or as Duck likes to call it, 'the dthrow bull****').

So, is there a way to practice that without just playing another human being? Like, is there a level of CPU that does random DI after dthrow, or some other method for me to practice dthrow followups?

Thxs in advance for the help guys!
I had the same problem.

The way I overcame it is by holding away on a second melee controller with my foot to learn to recognize away DI and get the timing for it. Training mode is probably better if you don't like the c-stick tho'

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You could also use the c-stick in 1P mode hack that's now available for hacked Wiis.

I prefer this, because it tells you if you did the combo correctly with "consecutive hits".

3chairz

Smash Cadet
You can Uair them no matter how they DI.
I thought that it's impossible to uair peach and most charas after a dthrow if they DI away? Are we talking specifically about samus/puff?

I had the same problem.

The way I overcame it is by holding away on a second melee controller with my foot to learn to recognize away DI and get the timing for it. Training mode is probably better if you don't like the c-stick tho'
Hmm, interesting idea. Will try.

You could also use the c-stick in 1P mode hack that's now available for hacked Wiis.

I prefer this, because it tells you if you did the combo correctly with "consecutive hits".
I need to hack my wii... I'll see what I can do. Where can I find the c-stick 1P mode hack?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I forget but it's probably somewhere in the Melee Workshop sub-forum of Melee Discussion.

D-throw Uair combos legitimately regardless of DI on Samus, Luigi, and Puff.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
At KO percents it basically works on Peach (110%+). Not because it actually combos, but because she can't do anything about it.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think I may have seen it combo in training mode at like 120% on DI away like once but I may have also been tripping balls. So I dunno. I have tried numerous times to replicate it but to no avail. I'm pretty good at 'hard' throw stuff with her too. I can CG at 0 pretty consistently in dittos, up tilt Falcon out of it with good consistency at low percent if he doesn't DI away, and hit the D-throw Uair on Puff at low percents with good consistency but I never could get it again on Peach.

My current theory is that I was tripping balls. But 'cuz it works in practice, I believe at a sufficient percent, Peach can't legitimately airdodge in time, DJ away far enough, get Up+B invincibility in time, or beat it with Nair. So basically it's like a Brawl combo.

Top Bottom