• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down tilt and other followups?

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Hey Guys,

I'm just curious how people are using Ness's dtilt and other folllow ups. I'll often follow up a lcancelled fair into a grab, jab, or nair but rarely a dtilt. I hear a lot about how good this move is but I often don't know when to employ it. Any suggestions?

Feel free to talk about your favorite followups here.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
i like to fair> dtilt if they are blocking cause fair weakens the shield then dtilt pokes under it. The poke surprises some players and you may get a free fsmash out of it a certain percents.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
yeah shield poking is what i would generally use it for. it is also good after a DJL OOS due to how quick it is, which lends u a free grab right afterwards.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Is it just me, or is Ness' throw follow-ups on the spacies/falcon just too satisfying? Not only is it 70+%, its almost guaranteed to put them off stage, and it is guaranteed from any grab at lowish %. Too good :)

d-tilt I use as a poke, similar to you. Other times are at the edge to repeatedly poke out recoveries (until they are high enough % to guarantee a gimp or until they fall enough to edgehog) or to pop into nair to quickly push people around. its by far not Ness' best move, but it has its uses.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I notice dtilt either stuns them and pushes them back a little or it pops them up. Is it similar to jabs where past a certain percent they are popped high enough to nair? And what else can you combo it into besides nair? certainly not a fsmash, right?

GMaster171

Smash Ace
It seems to be almost exactly like Fox's jab, where it just stuns at low %s, but it pops them in the air at higher %s (say around 80/90+% on mid weights iirc).

things you can get if you know you are going to hit them are silly. You can get nair,fair, sometimes uair, but if your opponent derps badly, f-smash, reverse d-smash and even grabs are possible. Don't go for them more than like once per match, but when they do happen, its pretty good.

overall, even though it has quite a few follow ups, its not something you want to use too often for these, as its probably one of Ness' weakest moves if they can predict it. A simple CC with DI out is usually enough for a free punish of whatever option you choose, provided they have something quick to use (but really only people like Bowser dont, which he makes up for by just d-tilting through Ness' d-tilt.)

Its another one of those "use it, but never spam it" moves. You can spam it when they are forced to DI in (at the edge as I'v said before, think of how Axe uses Pikachu's jab)

The_NZA

Smash Lord
cool, thanks. Are people sitll mostly spamming fairs as the main approach, and what are all of your followups to fair? I usually go for a grab.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Well, if you don't mind me replying again lol, I do use fair a little more than I should. I feel as though if I meet anyone who knows how to CC attacks, I'm gonna get destroyed lol. While fair is by far his most solid approach, and the guaranteed grab that comes with hitting it is awesome, it seems there are a few ways for opponents to get around it. fair is still my main approach, but other ways I'm using is run->shield or RAR DJC bair to hit super low.

Also, offstage, fair leads to dair or nair very reliably out of a nair, d-throw or f-throw. Idk exactly why it does, but it does. its one easy way to finish fair/uair strings, but doing a FH fair shoving them offstage, then a full DJ dair/nair to kill. (0-death Ganon, we laughed at how silly the combo was)

The_NZA

Smash Lord
"nair very reliably out of a nair, d-throw or f-throw."

Can you explain waht you mean there?

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Coulda sworn I had responded, just realized I hadn't lol.

Basically, if you catch them near the edge with fair, DJC nair (forgot to mention, just remember this only really works if you get the hit you are expecting, if you mess it up, it can throw you off a bit) or d/f-throw, you are able to follow up with a FH nair off stage, then a full DJ dair to meteor them, or nair to hit them off further/kill.

Just for clarity's sake, when I say full DJ, I am referring to doing the DJ while holding the button, or a rising aerial. You probably already realize this, but better safe than sorry.

Top Bottom