• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Downloadable Characters = DENIED

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Sweet chiggies~ :p I was CLANDON over there. I only know a couple of people that moved from there to here or have an account here. Ryudo and Darkspidey. XD Guess I can add you to the list.
XD I was ShadowFusion over there :p

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
@ Luke Groundwalker:
Is it really necessary for you to pick fights with other members, especially over semantics?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DLC*

Is one of those acronyms "more right" than any of the others? Of course not. The key is context. And--in this context--DarkShadowRage is talking about downloadable characters in Brawl. "Downloadable characters" can just as easily be shortened to "DLC."

"Oh no, that's wrong. ***got," you cry.

No, it's not wrong. It may not be conventional, but in this context, his use of DLC is not "incorrect" in the least. To me, his implication by using said acronym was pretty clear, given the topic of this thread. Abbreviations and acronyms are created and used all the time--it's simply linguistic license. To further bolster my point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_(disambiguation)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADA

Two other notable acronyms. Multiple usages are listed. But how on earth might one know which version is being used in a given situation?

Answer: context. Conversely...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=twss&go=Go

No abbreviation / acronym for "TWSS" according to Wikipedia. But--in the proper context--I would wager that most people could infer it to mean "That's what she said." Just because it isn't "common" or "conventional" doesn't necessarily make it incorrect. If anything, the fact that so many other uses of DLC, NATO, and ADA only serves to further prove that point. Would I have ever thought NATO to mean the North African Theater of Operations? No, but the usage still stands. To me, the usage is far from common, but to others, it would be just as correct as using NATO to stand for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

Please stop trying to pick a fight with other members over generally trivial matters; it's not conducive to any sort of civil discussion. I would like to think that SWF (here, I mean Smash World Forums, for those acronym sticklers out there) can still be salvaged as a place that can at least maintain some sort of intelligent discussion, but posters like you only reinforce my fears that SWF is now hopeless.

* I was posting this before I read your own citation of the selfsame page. Regardless of your usage, my point still stands.

(As an aside, quit with the gay slurs. I don't care if you want to cuss up a storm, but your wanton use of "***got" and "***gotry" rivals that of the odious Fred Phelps. It's immature, offensive, and just plain rude. And why does DSR's (here, I mean DarkShadowRage--I hope you don't mind my breach of convention!) age make any difference at all? You're quite combative for someone of only 16 years.)

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
I had already said I was going to avoid this moron, because I know how he is...but some how I just got drawn in..and also i'm 20 years old :p.
As for age, it doesnt really make a difference in this situation, I took the fools bait and well it was really amusing to say the least. I have never met anyone like that ...haha .

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
@ Luke Groundwalker:
Is it really necessary for you to pick fights with other members, especially over semantics?
Of course.

I really don't consider it fighting. I just simply told him DLC didn't mean Downloadable characters but he denied it. That's just a fact, and with the gaming business, DLC is ALWAYS referred to as Downloadable content. Saying DLC means something else is like saying LOL stands for "Lolling Or Laughing." It just isn't correct and would be a made up definition of the person who said so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DLC

Is one of those acronyms "more right" than any of the others? Of course not. The key is context. And--in this context--DarkShadowRage is talking about downloadable characters in Brawl. "Downloadable characters" can just as easily be shortened to "DLC."
Yes, but the thing is, its his own made up meaning for the acronym of DLC. That's like me making up the word shalookazoo and giving it some stupid definition and claiming it to be a true and legit word. Unless that word and meaning becomes a common factor amongst a group of people, it isn't part of the English language even in slang.
"Oh no, that's wrong. ***got," you cry.

No, it's not wrong. It may not be conventional, but in this context, his use of DLC is not "incorrect" in the least. To me, his implication by using said acronym was pretty clear, given the topic of this thread. To further bolster my point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_(disambiguation)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADA

Two other notable acronyms. Multiple usages are listed. But how on earth might one know which version is being used in a given situation?
Yes, because all of those acronyms have multiple definitions according to their context. However, it just doesn't work when its a made-up context meaning it would be inncorrect.
Answer: context.
^^^^
Please stop trying to pick a fight with other members over generally trivial matters; it's not conducive to any sort of civil discussion. I would like to think that SWF (here, I mean Smash World Forums, for those acronym sticklers out there) can still be salvaged as a place that can at least maintain some sort of intelligent discussion, but posters like you only reinforce my fears that SWF is now hopeless.
Exactly why DarkShadowRage needs to leave.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Sigh... if you still hold on to a hope that there'll be downloadable characters, youre naive.

This is like the people that held onto the hope that Megaman would be playable after the Inafune interview.

Give it a rest people. It aint happenin'.
Please. Anything that isn't no is a yes. Sega did the same thing with "it's not on our card at the moment", and I remember a certain community considering the comment "up until now" as a deconfirmation. Your point as been slapped, beaten, and killed. Congratz! :laugh:

Don't take anything as a deconfirmation with Sakurai. You might be wrong! :laugh:

And how hard is it for Nintendo to extract the stuff that's in Brawl [characters], and add them=??? And Sakurai said there are "no characters you unlocked via WiConnect or interacting with that fashion." Playing with words, eh? More mindgames, anyways. And did Sakurai deconfirm an expansion pack? Making stuff on the disc already [fighter and music data] being useable after a certain period of time? NO! SO there are STILL LOOPHOLES! Remember "up until now", and don't jump to conclusions like fools.

And if there isn't downloadable content or anything, it proves the Wii is weaker then the N64. Ya, I said it. Hopefully Nintendo becomes the boss, and puts it in, because they legally can, and better. Because if this is the last smash game with this pitiful roster growth, I'm not going to last anything over 10 years.

And the more characters, the better, PERIOD! We don't need more scrubs, n00bs, and trolls, which is all you Roy, Mewtwo, etc. haters are doing.

If "Up until now" proves anything, it's don't trust Sakurai. He likes tricking us. Remember, a few of the "prophets" that accurately leaked Brawl's roster said there will be DLC.

B. Rock

Smash Rookie
Serebii is a HUGE prick, I know from experience. I'm sorry, but he is. Not the kind of prick like me but the type who's an actual douchebag and has terrible tastes.
You ain't gotta convince me. I used to frequent a rival Pokemon forum and it's a known fact that Serebii has flat out stolen info from them and used on his site as his own. No props, no acknowledgement, no apology after he got caught, just denials. Infact, in his chatroom on the same server as the rival forum, he openly berates them.

But still, being a douchebag is one thing. Wanting a character out of the game just to be a jerk is another and a stretch.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Uh, why would Serebii want Mewtwo cut?
Can you prove Serebii correct? Seriously, when 2 of the 4 prophets who were right (in which all Serbii said was Mewtwo was out, Lucario was in, and I think Jiggs was in) say we'll get DLC, it's definitely a distinct probablity. 2 of the other 3 CORRECT full roster leakers beg to differ with Serebii. ;)

And no need for hating on Serebii, at all.

BlueWave

Smash Apprentice
Serebii is a HUGE prick, I know from experience. I'm sorry, but he is. Not the kind of prick like me but the type who's an actual douchebag and has terrible tastes.
For once, I agree... to an extent. I wouldn't call him a huge prick, but he is one nonetheless. I also know that from experience. But anyways... what does Serebii have to do with DLC? I missed a few pages of this thread (okay, most of the pages, but whatever), so maybe there's some relevance, I don't know.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Of course.

I really don't consider it fighting. I just simply told him DLC didn't mean Downloadable characters but he denied it. That's just a fact, and with the gaming business, DLC is ALWAYS referred to as Downloadable content. Saying DLC means something else is like saying LOL stands for "Lolling Or Laughing." It just isn't correct and would be a made up definition of the person who said so.

Yes, but the thing is, its his own made up meaning for the acronym of DLC. That's like me making up the word shalookazoo and giving it some stupid definition and claiming it to be a true and legit word. Unless that word and meaning becomes a common factor amongst a group of people, it isn't part of the English language even in slang.

Yes, because all of those acronyms have multiple definitions according to their context. However, it just doesn't work when its a made-up context meaning it would be inncorrect.

^^^^

Exactly why DarkShadowRage needs to leave.
Careful, though. LOL, to follow up on your example, conventionally means "laughing out loud." But does this inherently mean that it cannot be used by someone to mean "lolling or laughing?" Not at all.

I think you're misunderstanding the concept of an acronym (as evidenced by your own example of inventing a word). An acronym is a combination of specific letters that abbreviates or stands for a phrase, the name of an organization, etc. An acronym does not have to be commonly accepted to be valid because its roots are inherently valid (in most cases). An acronym stands for, represents, or points to certain words. The words, in the case of the "DLC controversy," are valid / universally accepted words.

Say, for example, I wanted to use ICBINB as an acronym for "I can't believe it's not butter!" Am I wrong? Certainly not. All of the words that my newfound acronym implies are real words, generally accepted and defined in some way.

All in all, I think you're juxtaposing the concept of an acronym with the concept of a word. The two serve different purposes, thus validating DSR's use of DLC to stand for "downloadable characters."

Not the kind of prick like me [...]
Well, at least you acknowledge it. (For better or for worse...)

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Careful, though. LOL, to follow up on your example, conventionally means "laughing out loud." But does this inherently mean that it cannot be used by someone to mean "lolling or laughing?" Not at all.

I think you're misunderstanding the concept of an acronym (as evidenced by your own example of inventing a word). An acronym is a combination of specific letters that abbreviates or stands for a phrase, the name of an organization, etc. An acronym does not have to be commonly accepted to be valid because its roots are inherently valid (in most cases). An acronym stands for, represents, or points to certain words. The words, in the case of the "DLC controversy," are valid / universally accepted words.

Say, for example, I wanted to use ICBINB as an acronym for "I can't believe it's not butter!" Am I wrong? Certainly not. All of the words that my newfound acronym implies are real words, generally accepted and defined in some way.

All in all, I think you're juxtaposing the concept of an acronym with the concept of a word. The two serve different purposes, thus validating DSR's use of DLC to stand for "downloadable characters."

THANK YOU! ...that's what i've been trying to say for the past hour >_>

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
LOL, to follow up on your example, conventionally means "laughing out loud." But does this inherently mean that it cannot be used by someone to mean "lolling or laughing?"
Yes, because LOL has already gotten its own and set official definition. Unless an alternative definition of lolling or laughing becomes culturally used even in the smallest of communities, it isn't correct. You can make up new acronyms and be correct, but unless you can make a set definition of a past acronym that's already used and not pull it out of your ***, it isn't correct.
Me said:
You can make up new acronyms and be correct, but unless you can make a set definition of a past acronym that's already used and not pull it out of your ***, it isn't correct.
It is not happening. Besides for down loadable content the data has to be saved somewhere. A flash drive can not to that.
Wait, do you even own a Wii?

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
You ain't gotta convince me. I used to frequent a rival Pokemon forum and it's a known fact that Serebii has flat out stolen info from them and used on his site as his own. No props, no acknowledgement, no apology after he got caught, just denials. Infact, in his chatroom on the same server as the rival forum, he openly berates them.

But still, being a douchebag is one thing. Wanting a character out of the game just to be a jerk is another and a stretch.
if mewtwo had to be cut i'm hoping it was sakurai'a decision and not some other pokemon fan disliking mewtwo in brawl. that why i 'd rather hear why the mewtwo was cut.

DSR doesn't like the idea of DLC oh well,

of course more characters wouldn't make the game perfect, but when you use :chuckle: you should expect some people to misinterpret your opinions. smash is what it is there are a lot of feature i'm, looking forward to experiences such as SSE, collecting and multiplayer. Since nothing is ever perfect there always going to be some sort of flaw in each person's viewpiont.

Batchfile

Smash Apprentice
Well, if i'm correct, we still have the stage of the day. Even if it's deleted in 24 hours.. Still something new each day.

DLC would be nice. But we don't really need it. It just be a new skin of a already existing character.

The developments in conversation made in the time duration of one episode of Lost is astounding.

Speaking of which, to anybody who saw the episode,

WTF KATE

danio13

Smash Cadet
I do not stand well to people that disses Serebii:(

And people should just take this decomfirmation like taking castor oil....

WITH NO WHINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:urg:

the only thing that they should have considered was.....

DOWNLOADABLE MUSIC!!!!!

It seems more possible if you ask me:ohwell:

Other than that, I am totally satisfied with the game:chuckle:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
So we're arguing about acronyms now?

This is gold.
"TLISTTIIFCEOEDSAC"

Good luck finding out what that means! :laugh:

And ya, I'm not in the Pokémon forum scene, so I wouldn't know Serebii, though I am familiar with Serebii's website and forums! :laugh:

Anyways, it's not a total deconfirmation. Well, actually it is, "up until now", b****es!

:laugh:

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Yes, because LOL has already gotten its own and set official definition. Unless an alternative definition of lolling or laughing becomes culturally used even in the smallest of communities, it isn't correct. You can make up new acronyms and be correct, but unless you can make a set definition of a past acronym that's already used and not pull it out of your ***, it isn't correct.
You're talking in circles now. Just because DLC means "downloadable content" in one context does not mean that it is true in all cases. In point of fact:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Leadership_Council

Note that this particular DLC (the Democratic Leadership Council) predates the DLC to which you refer (downloadable content), and the former actually predates the latter by roughly 15 years or so. If I may refer back to your claim, your self-styled "law" of acronyms:

You can make up new acronyms and be correct, but unless you can make a set definition of a past acronym that's already used and not pull it out of your ***, it isn't correct.
Let me thus compare the two cases:

DLC as Downloadable Content
  • Shares its abbreviation with a past acronym (Democratic Leadership Council)
  • Set definition (Downloadable Content)
  • "Not [pulled] out of [one's] ***" (maintains a specific meaning in its respective context, e.g. Xbox Live)

DLC as Downloadable Characters
  • Shares its abbreviation with a past acronym (Downloadable Content)
  • Set definition (Downloadable Characters)
  • "Not [pulled] out of [one's] ***" (maintains a specific meaning in its respective context, e.g. this thread, and in regards to IGN's interview with Sakurai-san (which specifically mentions downloadable characters!))

Both fit the conditions that you set forth, thus validating both usages of the acronym "DLC"...if we take your conditions to be linguistic law, that is. I would hesitate to do so, however.

okiyama

Smash Ace
"up until now..." didn't mean much and Sakurai said he was a prankster.
I'll take his word on this though, also character DLC was kinda unlikely anyways.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
You're talking in circles now.
No, I'm sorry, I'm just telling the basic rules to acronyms in the English language but you keep dodging them.
Just because DLC means "downloadable content" in one context does not mean that it is true in all cases.
...Seriously, did you read anything I said? I ALREADY addressed this but you dodged it. :|
In point of fact:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Leadership_Council

Note that this particular DLC (the Democratic Leadership Council) predates the DLC to which you refer (downloadable content), and the former actually predates the latter by roughly 15 years or so.
No ****, Sherlock. Which is why I clearly said that acronyms are only accurate IF they are based off a passed acronym (like in his case, using DLC as downloadable character) IF they become culturally acceptable. DLC as downloadable character is only the ONE definition he came up with. Until DLC becomes acceptable as downloadable character, it isn't correct. Unless he makes another and new acronym for it, it won't be correct unless it becomes widely used under the definition of "downloadable character" because of its already set in stone past acronym definitions that have all went through the phase of becoming culturally acceptable and commonly used.
If I may refer back to your claim, your self-styled "law" of acronyms:

Let me thus compare the two cases:

DLC as Downloadable Content
  • Shares its abbreviation with a past acronym (Democratic Leadership Council)
  • Set definition (Downloadable Content)
  • "Not [pulled] out of [one's] ***" (maintains a specific meaning in its respective context, e.g. Xbox Live)

DLC as Downloadable Characters
  • Shares its abbreviation with a past acronym (Downloadable Content)
  • Set definition (Downloadable Characters)
  • "Not [pulled] out of [one's] ***" (maintains a specific meaning in its respective context, e.g. this thread, and in regards to IGN's interview with Sakurai-san (which specifically mentions downloadable characters!))

Both fit the conditions that you set forth, thus validating both usages of the acronym "DLC"...if we take your conditions to be linguistic law, that is. I would hesitate to do so, however.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Top Bottom