• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Mario Moveset Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Doc here has been the subject of many debates, but the thing is Doc fits Sakurai's character requirements. Doc was probably an alt for Mario and Sakurai just decided to add him back in, probably like Lucina. I hope people could realize this now and not question his inclusion.

But I know they still well.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Hey, he has the tornado! Look now as everyone being competitive selects him instead of the plumber.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Hey, he has the tornado! Look now as everyone being competitive selects him instead of the plumber.
Mario in different clothes is more unique from his source than :4lucina:. I'm still laughing/crying about that.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Mario in different clothes is more unique from his source than :4lucina:. I'm still laughing/crying about that.
The irony of this can also be said about Dark Pit.

Last edited:

BLTspirit

Smash Rookie
NNID
BLTspirit
I love FLUDD!!!

Said no one ever....

Definitely maining the Dr.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Fludd has value for driving people away from the edge. I've had him used effectively against me.

I'm still trying to figure out why they couldn't put these clones in the same character slot as their base and let you access them that way, instead of them being the roster clutter they are now.

Also, PILLS FINALE!? REALLY, SAKURAI!?!?

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Doc is in to help jaded Mario mains who have wanted this version of their character for a long time.

However, I feel like this time they're really going to emphasize raw power. His Dair looks insane with the KB(KO'd REALLY easily at 90% against Hanayama on his stream.) I want them to push this so he feels and plays significantly different, despite the shared animations.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Why? Because pills, that's it.

Nah, as said above, I'm pretty sure it's the same scenario as Lucina. Shame corner FTW :troll:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm still trying to figure out why they couldn't put these clones in the same character slot as their base and let you access them that way, instead of them being the roster clutter they are now.
Because Sakurai didn't want to mess up battle records.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Because Sakurai didn't want to mess up battle records.
You can already mix and match moves now. Having a particular costume over a particular moveset doesn't seem very messy uppy to me. Especially since we've got reports of Ness with PK Freeze.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You can already mix and match moves now. Having a particular costume over a particular moveset doesn't seem very messy uppy to me. Especially since we've got reports of Ness with PK Freeze.
Well that's his reasoning when describing Lucina, probably also partly why he doesn't allow custom moves for online play with randoms. I'm not even sure if battles with custom moves will even count in terms of your battle records. Guess I should look a bit more into that.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Well that's his reasoning when describing Lucina, probably also partly why he doesn't allow custom moves for online play with randoms. I'm not even sure if battles with custom moves will even count in terms of your battle records. Guess I should look a bit more into that.
Either way, it's stupid and annoying and shows ridiculous bias on Sakurai's part.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm not sure what real difference it would make whether or not these clones share a spot with their parent character or not. Extra time was still spend on them eitherway. But oh well, guess that's just my opinion.

Folt

Smash Ace
Dr. Mario and Mario have different dairs and Down Specials in SSB4, which makes the Doc closer to old!Mario's moveset than new!Mario's. That alone is grounds for separating.

Besides that, I don't think Dr. Mario was considered as an alt. Rather, I think he was probably going to get in as a clone from the very beginning. I'd wager that at no point does Sakurai consider him as an alt.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Dr. Mario and Mario have different dairs and Down Specials in SSB4, which makes the Doc closer to old!Mario's moveset than new!Mario's. That alone is grounds for separating.
Oh yeah, that too. Doc has a different D-air and side Smash, which you can't customize. Thanks for reminding me.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman

Besides that, I don't think Dr. Mario was considered as an alt. Rather, I think he was probably going to get in as a clone from the very beginning. I'd wager that at no point does Sakurai consider him as an alt.
I repeat, alternate B moves are a thing now. Set some formerly clone moves in the movelist aside for tourney play, make the good doctor a Mario costume, and bam!

There's really no reason for them to have their own slots now that this is a possibility.

n88

Smash Lord
If you're okay with the extra development time to come up with the moves and the model, I'm not sure why you're upset about him getting his own spot on the character selection screen. After that, it would be practically no work to generate the few little bits of fluff (Icon, trophy, classic clear screen, so on) that would let him stand on his own.

Folt

Smash Ace
I repeat, alternate B moves are a thing now. Set some formerly clone moves in the movelist aside for tourney play, make the good doctor a Mario costume, and bam!

There's really no reason for them to have their own slots now that this is a possibility.
"Alternate" B moves only changes the properties of the move: The function generally remains the same, so a projectile attack is a projectile attack and a defense move remains a defense move. They don't radically change how the move works, and even if it did, there's still a matter of different default properties.

The only ones who don't follow this pattern are Palutena and the Miis: Palutena is basically to fit in all the magical powers, while the Miis are your create-a-character option so it makes sense for their moves to be radically different from each other.

Last edited:

Foosedogg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyhater123
I avoided Mario in Brawl due to FLUDD, and I picked him up (ONLY WITH HIS DOC SKINS) in PM due to the Melee moves. Looking forward to using the Doc in HD and 3D!

Last edited:

n88

Smash Lord
Yeah, I think everybody preferred Doc even when Mario didn't have FLUDD. Getting around that is just a neat bonus.

Morbi

Scavenger
Indeed. I feel the same exact way, I cannot play Mario unless he is impersonating a doctor. Naturally, I skipped him in Brawl because of this. I am glad that he is back.

Foosedogg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyhater123
Same thing with Dark Pit. Upperdash Arm seems too punishable, so HIYAYAYA!!!!!!! being present helps me out with this problem.

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
I love seeing my my Melee main back, and his differences between him and No-Medical-Training Mario make him more than a complete clone. My only gripe with the Doc is his Final Smash, which, while looking nice aesthetically, is disappointing. Otherwise, he's a good alternative to Mario

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
I played as Mario a decent amount in Brawl, but I found FLUDD to be useless 99% of the time. Now I can main Mario again, forget Mewtwo.

Folt

Smash Ace
Dr. Mario always had the kind of something that Mario lacked. As thus, I am happy that he'll be returning.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
I didn't really want Dr. Mario back, but now that he's in, I'm happy about it! I didn't use Mario in Brawl due to the FLUDD (which should have done damage, since it did so in Sunshine), but the Mario/Doctor Tornado is 99.99% better than the FLUDD. The down aerial Mario Tornado was terrible.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825

This is literally the worst thing ever.
There was potential here i'm telling you.

Pills drop down a Tetris style and crush everybody.
Viruses appear on screen and put effects on people.
Mega Mushroom.

Seriously, They didn't even give it an electric effect.

Last edited:

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
- Final Smash is like Mario's, but themed to Dr. Mario
- Down-air is like Melee (drill)
- Down-b is like Melee (tornado)

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Admittedly his FS is a bit disappointing but I admire the return of the Tornado and the ability to play as a Mario that I wanted since FLUDD came around and hurt my cosmic bond with him.

(for the record I think the pill effect is really cool though)

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
I can't play as Mario. I just can't. I don't like Mario games that much. The plumber hat just looks really dumb to me. But Doctor Mario gives me a work around with his beautiful white coat. It's kinda silly to like a spin off character more than the original but I do. Sorry Nintendo. Thank You Sakurai.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I preferred Dr. Mario to Mario in Melee, and I avoided Mario in Brawl because he was bad in general, and lacked the Tornado. Although Mario is much better in Smash 4, yet again, Doc seems better and retains his good projectile (Megavitamins) and the Dr. Tornado.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom