• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Dr. Mario Social Thread - Witches? Dragons?...I've seen worse walk into my office.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
It's not a glitch man. Works against din's fire, dhd's exploding can, exploding megaman bomb, exploding clown cart from bjr, etc. as well.

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
It's not a glitch man. Works against din's fire, dhd's exploding can, exploding megaman bomb, exploding clown cart from bjr, etc. as well.
I know, it works against all explosives except for smart bomb. Anyway, if you want to debate this it should probably be on that forum.

Zero May Cry

Smash Cadet
I've been playing Doc a lot online lately and I gotta say- he's easily the most rewarding character to win with out of all of the characters, at least for me. He's got a lot of weaknesses and I don't think he's even mid tier in this game (but who knows, we may discover some rad technology soon) but I still find it possible to win with him against most characters and when I do it feels so damn good. Edgeguarding with back air, making an fsmash/fair read, that kinda thing. He has tools to deal with whatever but he does have to work hard. But that's ok, because when your work pays off it's great.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Btw guys, if there's any thing needing to be done around here in terms of moderator works (stickying/cleaning things up), feel free to tag me with distinct and easy to objectify commandments and they shall likely be done~

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
So, I can't wait for WiiU version to go ham with the Doc as I think I've discovered some dumb potential in his D-Throw. D-Throw to Uair Fastfalled has no lag and if you run forward and shield you've covered all of your opponent's options and you either have a free jump chase (If they jump just Uair them) or they hit your shield and you follow up. I think this works better against fastfallers.

Also yeah I agree on the notion of this character having weaknesses (He's gonna end up in the low end for sure) but he's still really rewarding to play and really tests your punish game/fundamentals. Nothing seems unwinnable with Doc so far.

Last edited:

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
Hey guys, I figured out a good combo trick with the Doc against heavy characters like Bowser and Ganondorf. Grab, D-Throw and then you can get about a quarter charged Fsmash in. Just a FYI though, this only works when they have low percent.

Ramz289

Smash Journeyman
So with the new update coming so, what changes would you like for Doc? I think it's to early for balance updates so I hope the buff/nerfs are kept at a minimum and mostly fix glitches (RIP Wario momentum glitch ._.). @ TTTTTsd TTTTTsd suggested giving him a speed boost.
Idk what else.

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
So with the new update coming so, what changes would you like for Doc? I think it's to early for balance updates so I hope the buff/nerfs are kept at a minimum and mostly fix glitches (RIP Wario momentum glitch ._.). @ TTTTTsd TTTTTsd suggested giving him a speed boost.
Idk what else.
Wario momentum glitch? Anyway, I hope they don't get rid of the bob-bom glitch I found.

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
Cape lifts you a bit? That's generally the only thing I'd like, alongside a slight damage buff to pills and Tornado. Tornado deals 8 percent while Mario's dair deals 11 percent :V

Speed boost I can somewhat agree with, since he barely runs faster than Ganondorf though the developers wanted Doc to be slower than regular Mario.

D

Deleted member

Dr. Mario should get a speed boost in the 1.0.4 update, but of course, I'm not expecting something like this.

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
Recovery buff. One of the main reasons us Doctor mains will do bad in tournaments is out boy Dr. Mario's crap recovery.

WiiFitBurger

Smash Cadet
Recovery buff. One of the main reasons us Doctor mains will do bad in tournaments is out boy Dr. Mario's crap recovery.
How tf is his recovery crap like legit. His mario tornado can recover a lot and then he has his up b also the jumps. He had a great recover better than half of the cast

Cezz624

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cezz624
3DS FC
2964-9447-5535
I've been playing Doc a lot online lately and I gotta say- he's easily the most rewarding character to win with out of all of the characters, at least for me. He's got a lot of weaknesses and I don't think he's even mid tier in this game (but who knows, we may discover some rad technology soon) but I still find it possible to win with him against most characters and when I do it feels so damn good. Edgeguarding with back air, making an fsmash/fair read, that kinda thing. He has tools to deal with whatever but he does have to work hard. But that's ok, because when your work pays off it's great.
It's all about the punishes! This is exactly how I feel when I play Dr. Mario. I'm pretty sure most of doc's combos are hard to pull off mostly due to the absent of the c-stick (Up-air fastfalls chains are hard with no c-stick, maybe it's just me.)

Cezz624

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cezz624
3DS FC
2964-9447-5535
Dr. Mario should get a speed boost in the 1.0.4 update, but of course, I'm not expecting something like this.
Well, his D-air now does only 5 hits as opposed to 7 in 1.03. And the D-air seems to recover a bit faster. His F-air was given a bit more knockback as well. (Oops double-post, sorry!)

Last edited:

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
-Wzzup dudes. I guess I'll co-main both Mario & Doctor Mario from this point on.
Hopefully I'll learn some new things about Doc and his metagame in smash 4. x9-

:pow:

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
so the first thing I'm doing is unlocking Dr. Mario and testing how much better his recovery will be with dual mashing (B and Y thanks to controller remap). I will probably double post and report back with the findings! Adios!
What I'm doing tomorrow. I will post Doc tornado findings in video footage.

Shog

Smash Ace
Why are Dr. Mario's idle animation and...actually non fighting animation(win screen etc.) so amazing?

Sorry, I have not anything else to contribute, but I just noticed that

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Because it's ****ing Dr. Mario. He's always been a badass in Smash, it just took this long for him to get more unique animations that point it out.

M@v

Subarashii!
Chalked up a Wii U tournament win already; went roughly half doc and half little mac. Ill post vids up in the video thread when our local streamer gets them online (usually monday)

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Chalked up a Wii U tournament win already; went roughly half doc and half little mac. Ill post vids up in the video thread when our local streamer gets them online (usually monday)
Doesn't he just feel SOOOO much better on wiiU? Doc, I mean. It's crazy how much the C-Stick helps.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
So, do you guys think that, in the tangible future, that there will be a Dr. Mario Amiibo? I need a go-to for side events and I want my main to be that go-to.

Last edited:

Astronut

Smash Apprentice
So, do you guys think that, in the tangible future, that there will be a Dr. Mario Amiibo? I need a go-to for side events and I want my main to be that go-to.
If they do end up making a Doc Amiibo, it's gonna be after February. (Fingers crossed, I want one too :p)

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk

I think that, eventually, every character will have an amiibo. Except maybe the Miis. But at E3 Miyamoto DID say he had a custom made amiibo of his own Mii, so maybe....

Cezz624

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cezz624
3DS FC
2964-9447-5535
Actually a while back, I remember Nintendo sending out a tweet to make sure everyone unlocks everyone in the game by February. I think they are hinting at unlockable character amiibos. Here's the tweet: "A13: The first two waves of #amiibo are already unlocked. Hopefully by February you've unlocked everyone! #amiiboQuestions -BT"
Doesn't he just feel SOOOO much better on wiiU? Doc, I mean. It's crazy how much the C-Stick helps.
I love the C-stick but I have this small problem with it in Smash 4. If I leave the C-stick to smash attacks, I can't B-air while controlling my movement. I heard it's mainly due to the problem that you can charge smash attacks with the C-Stick now. There is an easy solution to this by just setting the C-stick to tilt attacks instead of smash attacks. Now the problem here now I'm unable to perform smash attacks with a flick of the C-Stick! Meh, I think I'll stick with the latter. I love flicking smash attacks too much.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
As long as you flick the C-Stick it barely interrupts aerial momentum I think. I natively flick it but I understand the issue, it's definitely in need of fixing.

HerrAlex

Smash Cadet
NNID
HerrAlex
Is Dr. Mario's moveset actually slower than Mario's? I haven't noticed any difference.

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
I just recently got the Wii U version, and I love the HD graphics. Incoming photo dump of the good doctor:

Last edited:

Mariolol5555

Smash Rookie
NNID
GamerKid58IsBack
3DS FC
3411-3083-6609
The only reason why I chose the Doc as my main is cuz of the down B...:drmario::drmario::drmario::4drmario::4drmario::4drmario: :GCD::GCB:

Silent Assasin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-5557-9574
Merry Christmas everyone! Doctor Mario is definitely going to be a breakout character in 2015. I will make sure of that!

Top Bottom