• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Mario

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSP

Smash Legend
Doc's not coming back.

He's just too similar to Mario to be made into his own character.

I would love to see Mario adopt some of his move properties though.

BSP

Smash Legend
That depends on how floaty SSB4 is. Doc's bair worked so well in Melee because everyone fell so fast and the angle on Doc's bair was great.

In Brawl, most of the important characters would still be able to recovery if the bair was as weak as it was in Melee.

Edit: Actually, if Mario's bair became similar to MK's dair, I think I'd take that.

I would like Mario to have Doc's power. Particularly in his Fair, Dsmash, and Fsmash. Mario just doesn't hit hard enough right now.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wonder what Dr. Mario's version of FLUUD would have been if he made it into Brawl

Steelia

Smash Champion
I'd love me some separate character Doc, I like to think that he was going to be playable in SSBB with all that "Forbidden 7" character bits of him in there... It's just that not many people like clones, so that hurts him pretty badly. It's a shame, he was my main for the longest time pre-SSBB. Still love the sound of his pills, and his fair.

BSP

Smash Legend
What's the ick for? Doc was better than Mario and had the black scrub lol

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
If Doc comes back,he will be a Mario's alternative outfit.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Mario seriously needs Doc's power. He's just not that good without it in his current form. He doesn't have much to keep him from bein anything but weak.

That is, unless of course Mario goes back to being like Smash 64 Mario, whom I main and LOVE TO DEATH!!!

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Dr. Mario is a waste of a character spot, tbh. Just make him an alt costume for Mario like they did with Wario's original suit and Warioware suit.

I do think Mario needs Dr.'s power though. =P

BSP

Smash Legend
I'd be fine with the alternate costume, and I think there are better characters to take his slot.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Mario seriously needs Doc's power. He's just not that good without it in his current form. He doesn't have much to keep him from bein anything but weak.

That is, unless of course Mario goes back to being like Smash 64 Mario, whom I main and LOVE TO DEATH!!!
Yes Mario should definitely go back to how he was in Smash 64 so he can go back to being the bad*** plumber that he is! I liked him the most in smash 64.

As for Doc. The likeliest thing I can see for him is being an alt this time around.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
If Mario keeps F.L.U.D.D. this time around, then I can see Doc making a comeback, essentially giving players the choice between Mario's Brawl moveset and something with a tornado.

But I don't think that's likely, and I really hope that F.L.U.D.D. is just scrapped altogether, in which case I can only see him becoming an alt. for Mario.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'll take Dr. Mario as an alternate outfit pick for Mario, but I really don't see the reason to be making him a separate entity.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'll take Dr. Mario as an alternate outfit pick for Mario, but I really don't see the reason to be making him a separate entity.
Agreed, but if Sakurai/whoever does movesets this time around did decide to keep F.L.U.D.D. in Mario's moveset, Doc could be at the very least an "EX mode" of sorts for Mario. Kind of like what SNK did with the Kyo clones in KOF '99: giving the original character a new moveset while keeping his old moves around for people to use.

Edit: Speaking of that, would it be a good idea to implement EX modes for some characters? i.e. having altered moveset based on some button input or palette choice.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Agreed, but if Sakurai/whoever does movesets this time around did decide to keep F.L.U.D.D. in Mario's moveset, Doc could be at the very least an "EX mode" of sorts for Mario. Kind of like what SNK did with the Kyo clones in KOF '99: giving the original character a new moveset while keeping his old moves around for people to use.

Edit: Speaking of that, would it be a good idea to implement EX modes for some characters? i.e. having altered moveset based on some button input or palette choice.
maybe, to implement very similar characters. could extend to voice swaps, moveset tweaks... not sure if likely, however...
besides Mario -> Dr. Mario, we could have:
Samus -> Dark Samus
Pit -> Dark Pit
Meta Knight -> Galacta Knight

need I to go on?

Hermit=D

Smash Apprentice
If Doc comes back i'd be soo happy. Love that Fair (gangsta punch!)

Plus black coat makes me feel like im from the matrix

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
Dr. Mario.
Needs his stats ported to Mario and also needs to come back as a skin.
As for him being a skin, I would like to see Mario's Fireballs getting replaced with Megavitamins and the sound effects that they make.

Bazooka Joe

Smash Apprentice
Was doctor mario really that big of a game?
And if so why wasnt Doc an alt outfit for mario!?!
Doctor Mario had more games including (ports/copies) than Ice Climbers and R.O.B combined. Also, I think they are just lazy with costumes. I could see Doc as an alt costume along with Fire, Classic, and Tuxedo.

As said by others, Mario needs the Doc's stats. He was still C tier, so I don't know what else they could do to make him B level good . . .

D

Deleted member

No matter what anyone says, I want Doc back as a seperate character.
He was planned for Brawl, and through some research, I learned that he would've been included after Mewtwo and Roy.

People seem to have this phobia of clones and 2 of the same character, but I don't.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dr.Mario could be added, sure. But I'd rather see another new Mario character, as Toad, or Bowser Jr. Dr.Mario can be added as a last minute clone addtion, pure for fanservice, but with the possibility of "customisation" of moves, I don't see how Mario can't have a 'Dr.Mario-set' based on Dr.Mario's moves in Melee? I don't see the need to include him separately if it can be done like this cleverly. Then again if the custumisation feature isn't as big and exciting like that, perhaps he could come back. But I would still feel it being a slight waste of space.

D

Deleted member

Even as a Dr. Mario mainer and fan, I agree he was a kind of a waste. But it was a good kind of waste. ;)
After all, plenty of fighting games have alternate versions of characters seperate.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There's Toon Link and Link, who are also drastically different in Brawl. Mario and Dr.Mario are as of yet the characters with the most similarities between them in all Smash games. That's INCLUDING Mario and Luigi in the first game.

I guess it depends on wether Toon Link stays or not. Cause I could see him getting merged with regular Link. So if that happens, I see no need for Dr.Mario. Sorry.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I can see the future, and Dr. Mario is not coming...
But if another Mario-like-character is coming, I see Paper Mario.

D

Deleted member

I can see the future too. Paper Mario is not going to be in.

The future is cloudy on Dr. Mario, meaning I can't see if he's in or not, but he will be the only 2nd Mario.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It would be awesome if Mario in Smash WiiU and 3DS was a combination of Smash 64 Mario and Dr. Mario from Melee with a tad of Mario mixed in.

Brawl Mario can go die in a hole, because he was freaking garbage! People here keep saying "Dr. Mario is a waste of a character spot." Well Brawl Mario was a bigger waste of a character spot! Mario is supposed to be all-around good. Brawl Mario was all-around bad. Poor recovery, few kill moves, no spikes, weak projectiles, not that great range, etc.

@ Golden
I wouldn't mind Dr. Mario coming back... as a (very?) late add-on clone, like he was in Melee. But as anything else, original-ish moveset or GTFO! :bee:

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
It would be awesome if Mario in Smash WiiU and 3DS was a combination of Smash 64 Mario and Dr. Mario from Melee with a tad of Mario mixed in.

Brawl Mario can go die in a hole, because he was freaking garbage! People here keep saying "Dr. Mario is a waste of a character spot." Well Brawl Mario was a bigger waste of a character spot! Mario is supposed to be all-around good. Brawl Mario was all-around bad. Poor recovery, few kill moves, no spikes, weak projectiles, not that great range, etc.

@ Golden
I wouldn't mind Dr. Mario coming back... as a (very?) late add-on clone, like he was in Melee. But as anything else, original-ish moveset or GTFO! :bee:
THIS.
Seriously, if Sakurai wanted to make Dr. Mario different from Mario, he could simply give him Mario's attacks from Smash 64.
I mean, he'd still be a clone of sorts, but still, not as much he was in Melee.
And thinking again, I would definetely want to see the Doc back.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ If Doc had Mario's "dumped" attacks (based on his Brawl moveset), he could have:
1. An original back air (DAT KICK!)
2. An original front air (DAT KICK!) or perhaps a modified version of the Doc freaking electric punch OF DEATH DOOM DIE DEAD!
3. An original down air (DAT SPIN COMBO KICK) from Smash 64 (where it works kinda like Fox's Melee down air).
4. The Mario Tornado (or a new move?) as a down B.
5. The pills obviously returning with their unique trajectory.

I also have a "gut feeling" that talks amongst the Smash WiiU and 3DS developers of Mario's side B (the cape) being replaced may happen. If that were to happen, Doc could have DAT CAPE all to himself! (just like a hoarder!)

As for the rest of his moves being original... Doc could steal Smash 64 Captain Falcon's forward smash, Mewtwo's up smash animation (except make it have electricity and/or fire), and stuffs like that. :shades:

And Doc's Final Smash would be... A PRESCRIPTION OF PAIN!!! He diagnoses his opponents with "I just got knocked out" syndrome! :rotfl:

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
^^^ If Doc had Mario's "dumped" attacks (based on his Brawl moveset), he could have:
1. An original back air (DAT KICK!)
2. An original front air (DAT KICK!) or perhaps a modified version of the Doc freaking electric punch OF DEATH DOOM DIE DEAD!
3. An original down air (DAT SPIN COMBO KICK) from Smash 64 (where it works kinda like Fox's Melee down air).
4. The Mario Tornado (or a new move?) as a down B.
5. The pills obviously returning with their unique trajectory.

I also have a "gut feeling" that talks amongst the Smash WiiU and 3DS developers of Mario's side B (the cape) being replaced may happen. If that were to happen, Doc could have DAT CAPE all to himself! (just like a hoarder!)

As for the rest of his moves being original... Doc could steal Smash 64 Captain Falcon's forward smash, Mewtwo's up smash animation (except make it have electricity and/or fire), and stuffs like that. :shades:

And Doc's Final Smash would be... A PRESCRIPTION OF PAIN!!! He diagnoses his opponents with "I just got knocked out" syndrome! :rotfl:
Or we could continue to dump Mario's old moves on him :troll:
How 'bout that Mario 64 foward smash ? (DAT PAWNCH!!)
:rotfl:

shinpichu said:
Let's just give Doc Ganondorf's old moves.:troll:

Because that makes sense.
Oh, how could I forget ?! This is clearly the obvious option. :troll:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I can see the future too. Paper Mario is not going to be in.

The future is cloudy on Dr. Mario, meaning I can't see if he's in or not, but he will be the only 2nd Mario.
Maybe we both see a future that there is just a small chance that another mario-like-character will be in.

D

Deleted member

No, I see Dr. Mario having another shot.
Especially after the research I went through. I had learned that while Dr. Mario didn't have a file for his own victory like Mewtwo and Roy, there was still a spot reserved for him in the files list. Numerically, there is a victory theme file missing between Roy and Toon Link that could only be filled by another Melee veteran.

Z01-Mario
Z02-Donkey Kong
Z03-Link
Z04-Samus
Z05-Yoshi
Z06-Kirby
Z07-Fox
Z08-Pikachu
Z09-Luigi (UNUSED)
Z10-Captain Falcon
Z11-Ness
Z12-Bowser (UNUSED)
Z13-Peach (UNUSED)
Z14-Zelda (UNUSED)
Z15-Sheik (UNUSED)
Z16-Ice Climbers
Z17-Marth
Z18-Mr. Game & Watch
Z19-Falco (UNUSED)
Z20-Ganondorf (UNUSED)
Z21-Wario
Z22-Meta Knight
Z23-Pit
Z24-Zero Suit Samus (UNUSED)
Z25-Olimar
Z26-Lucas (UNUSED)
Z27-Diddy Kong (UNUSED)
Z28-Pokemon Trainer (UNUSED)
Z29-MISSING (Going by Brawl data, this would be Charizard)
Z30-MISSING (Going by Brawl data, this would be Squirtle)
Z31-MISSING (Going by Brawl data, this would be Ivysaur)
Z32-King Dedede (UNUSED)
Z33-Lucario (UNUSED)
Z34-Ike (UNUSED)
Z35-R.O.B.
Z36-MISSING (Unknown)
Z37-Jigglypuff (UNUSED)
Z38-Mewtwo (UNUSED)
Z39-Roy (UNUSED)
Z40-MISSING (Because of placement, this would Dr. Mario)
Z41-Toon Link (UNUSED)
Z42-MISSING (Because of placement, this would be Wolf)
Z43-MISSING (Unknown; possibly placeholder data for any Newcomer after Wolf)
Z44-MISSING (Unknown; possibly placeholder data for any Newcomer after Wolf)
Z45-MISSING (Unknown; possibly placeholder data for any Newcomer after Wolf)
Z46-Snake
Z47-Sonic
Z48-MISSING (Unknown; possibly placeholder data for any 3rd Party after Sonic)
Z49-MISSING (Unknown; possibly placeholder data for any 3rd Party after Sonic)

Z50-Z58 are fanfares unrelated to characters.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Not important, but I remember that the Nintendo Power Player's Guide had a name for every attack that the characters had and used in Melee. Here is Dr. Mario's.

Weak Attacks

1-2-3: Left Jab, Right Cross, Toe Kick

Strong Attacks

Upward: Uppercut
Forward: Dr. Kick
Downward: Reflex Test

SMASH ATTACKS:

Upward: Ear, Nose & Throat
Forward: Defibrillator
Downward: Surgical Sweep

Dash Attack: Slide

Aerial Attacks: