• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dragonball [2008]

courte

Smash Lord
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1098327/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonball_(film)

after so long the wheels have finally been set in motion... and yes while i'm a little WTF
[i only wanna see kid goku as KID goku not dawson's creek/Smallville goku GAD-DAMMIT!!]

and yes i'm delighted theres little[none] to do with DBZ... i wouldn't say i hated because i liked a FEW of the characters, but i sorta kinda hated
---------------------GOD FIGHT--------
Kod Goku Vs. Kid Ying??
Taking all bets now

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
WTF? Pretty boy Goku? If it's based on Dragonball, why isn't there an actual child Goku?

I have a feeling the actor playing Goku will just officially look ridiculous now. If they were going with the concept of a child Goku it would definitely be a lot less ridiculous.

courte

Smash Lord
goku will not be wearing a wig, as the director feels 'his hair looks similar enough as it is now"

IT'S OVER 9000!! crying fans

in retrospect, i'd rather they butcher DBZ than perform this rapage an the classic, even if it's the only source for real storytelling.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Also. No Oolong=Not cool.

In my opinion they should just adapt the first season of Dragonball with a talented child actor playing Goku.

I might actually go see that if they did it.

Dibs

Smash Lord
Chow yun fat as roshi.
James martsers as Piccolo

JAMIE FROM REAL WORLD SAN DIEGO as chi chi.

I hope no one actually thinks this will be good.

Cless

Smash Champion
Yeah, live action anime usually fail pretty hard. Well, only if the source anime is ridiculous. This movie would be doable if they focus upon the Dragonball before everything became beams and super speed.

kook321

Smash Apprentice
Pretty ambivalent about this. Loved drangball but with real actors. I agree that its going to be pretty gay.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Chow yun fat as roshi.
James martsers as Piccolo

JAMIE FROM REAL WORLD SAN DIEGO as chi chi.

I hope no one actually thinks this will be good.
Oh, I didn't think anyone else would've noticed that.

I always wonder if the people who are doing the movie actually think it's a good idea, as this had not seemed like one of those deals when they're in too deep.

Sandy

Smash Champion
*INFO*

Now to get started with this. The movie is based on Dragonball, not Dragon Ball Z, but Dragonball. Which means kid goku or "son goku" (whatever floats your boat) trying to collect the dragonballs, before Piccolo Daimao. So basically if you have seen the DB series, its a "summary" of the entire series. Apparently the movie began production in 2002, and is scheduled to release in August 15, 2008

TheCast
Now even before a movie with live people was mentioned (japan has actually released one, which SUCKED B***S), there have always been speculation about charachter portrayals.
Names mentioned were such as, Danni DeVito (krillin), The guy from Mortal Kombat(goku) and so on.

Heres a link to a vid which has pretty good portrayals of charachters, and theyre actor counterpart:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nms2_BNeiMM

Now to the real actors for DragonBall.

Justin Chatwin (Goku)
Who is he? You may know him as the emo kid in War of The Worlds.

Justin Chatwin

Apparently it was said that he naturally fits the part, as he already has the same hair?
I can seriously not see this on him, can you????

James Marsters (Piccolo)

Now this name is no stranger to those of the Buffy series as Spike. Yes the platnium blond demon is in as casted for Piccolo, who is the main villain of the film.

James Marsters

Now he has some similiaraties to Piccolo, yes i know hes not green but the silhouette of his chin and what not does have some reference to Piccolo.

Piccolo

I see similiarities!

Jamie Chung (Chi-Chi)

Now when i saw the name i had no idea who it was. When i looked for the picture, and found it, i thought: "Hey i've seen that girl before". Low and behold she was a castee of The Real World San Diego.
She plays goku's love interest.

Jamie Chung

Chi Chi

Emmy Rossum (Bulma)

Shes cute, she is most noted for her roles in : Phantom of the Opera, The Day After Tommorow, and Posiedon.
She plays the role of gokus aid, after her fathers dragon ball is stolen she joins the search/ fight against Piccolo.

Emmy Rossum

Bulma

Chow Yun Fat (Master Roshi)
Chow Yun Fat most noted for his roles in Asian movies, winning Hong Kong's "best actor" award 3 times, and Taiwan's 2 times. His films include: Replacement Killers, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and Bulletproof Monk ( to name a few).
Awww, the perverted old man, with incredible super human strength is portrayed by a good actor, although most argue would have been perfectly played by Pat Morita a.k.a The Karate Kid (R.I.P) but nonetheless a good actor, acting as goku's mentor.

Chow Yun Fat

Master Roshi

Joon Park (Yamcha)
Apparently the actor, has a cameo in the upcoming movie Speed Racer, he is of Korean decent and was in a "boy band" named g.o.d
Yamcha himself is a dessert rat, in that he is a thief accompanied by his shape shifting friend Puar. Nonetheless a menace to goku, but later joins as an ally.

Joon Park....raising the roof

Yamcha

i included pictures for clarity

courte

Smash Lord
man dude you should just take the OP... actually no i'm quoting you there now

courte

Smash Lord
man dude you should just take the OP... actually no i'm quoting you there now

Gedennnnn

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry if you guys didn't notice...Steven Chow is supposed to be co-producer. If you've ever seen a Steven Chow movie ( Kung-fu Hustle, Shaolin Soccer, ect.,) you'd be as excited for this as I am. His movies are so hilarious and intense.

spindash

Smash Ace
There are two paths that this movie could take. This movie will either become a incredibly huge surprise and become a good movie. Or it will be one of those movies that are classified as...oh, shall we say, so terrible that it's actually good.

I'll humor the thought. Dragonball and Dragonball Z freaking rule.

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
The actor for Yamcha...actually looks like Yamcha. :laugh:

But considering how Hollywood butchered Speed Racer, I'm expecting the same treatment for this movie as well. Tis a shame...

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Heh, I was a huge DB/DBZ fan back in the day.

I can't believe they're going to butcher that; not even Chow Yun-Fat can stop this train-wreck of a live-action movie from sucking.

S2

Smash Lord
James Marsters (Guy playing Piccolo) went on record saying that Toriyama "doesn't draw females well".

WTF... I don't know if he's talking about the literal drawings or how women are portrayed.

Either way he's wrong. Check IGN's interview if you want to see the whole thing.

Grining_Ghoul

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I didn't think anyone else would've noticed that.

I always wonder if the people who are doing the movie actually think it's a good idea, as this had not seemed like one of those deals when they're in too deep.
Oh yes this movie will bomb so hard, but I will still watch it when it comes out I need a good laugh! :chuckle:

:3

Grining_Ghoul

Smash Apprentice
Whoa, that was actually pretty **** entertaining... they really did capture the style of the show there!
I gotta give it to em' on the part where "18" elbows Gohan in the back and they cut to his face to show the pain, it's a lot like the way it happens in the show. It's just sad that they made Gohan look like a punk ***, he didn't even put a scratch on the "androids" and then in the end when he's beaten holds his hands out in front of him like he's saying "No, plz don't kill me, i've got books to read" or some crap like that.

:3

Top Bottom