• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Dragonic Reverse" -- Yoshi Can Wavedash!

Airborne

Smash Lord
That's so gross, though. I can't change my ways, as I've been playing the Smash series way too often for way too long. The only reason I was able to change R to Attack is because I've never touched the R button otherwise.
Hey, it's the easiest method to DR, as well as the best method to apply it. I've been playing with the same setup like everyone else for as long as everyone else, until I changed to Y-B-C-stick last summer. It's understandable if you're only using Yoshi for just a period of time, but we've had die-hard Yoshi mains just completely avoid the technique because it's "too hard" or "I don't see the potential in it because I'm too single-minded to think about how it should/would/could be applied." (I did have trouble seeing the potential in this technique, despite how vigilant I was at becoming consistent with it, until Scatz finally explained it to me.)

And the sad part about it is that we, the ones who use DR, mainly Scatz though, has/have attempted to throw everything out there so that people will actually pick this technique up and apply it. Alas, these boards are too stubborn and too lazy to do so. That's why I'm glad you're here to help us out.

I have to mention one thing though: several of us have turned tap jump off for the sake of us not accidentally using our double jump when we are egg tossing back to stage.

Yikarur

Smash Master
If he uses tap jump that means that he uses tap jump since years, not need to try to convince him for other controls. It's perfectly fine how he does it. (It's the easiest way to DR imo)

tarextherex

Smash Apprentice
^I'm in the same boat, though it's not really obvious to add direction to DR when you use it with tap jump, anyone got tips on doing that?

Chaco

Never Logs In
DRing is definitely easest with tap, with that being said though you compromise your offstage game for a technique that has an element of surprise, and once it wears off you've got nothing.

Yikarur

Smash Master
DRing is definitely easest with tap, with that being said though you compromise your offstage game for a technique that has an element of surprise, and once it wears off you've got nothing.

DR isn't a surprise technique, it's a movement technique which gives us more options in a lot situations.

Airborne

Smash Lord
I still think YBC is the easiest way. It makes me feel like i dont have to commit to w/e i was thinking of doing after the DR
I agree. YBC is just a simple flick of the thumb, whereas XXA and YYA require you to press the same button twice in a matter of 6 frames or so. Tap Jump could prove to work just as well, but there is still a higher possibility of screwing up your recovery with this setup than with others.

Besides, I doubt y'all could do the DR moonwalk without YBC. Respect our
pointless
shine. =P

Chaco

Never Logs In
DR isn't a surprise technique, it's a movement technique which gives us more options in a lot situations.
Be that as it may, it still has a surprise effect due to it's limited use.

bigman40

Smash Master
It makes no sense to say DR is a surprise technique alone. It's just like it's counterpart in melee: To position oneself in a placement where it places the opponent in a bad position, or to be used to bait a certain reaction.

The lack of use is the reason why it's surprising to people, and even then, it still has it's uses and is not limited in such a way as you describe it.

BTW, long time no see.

Airborne

Smash Lord
It makes no sense to say DR is a surprise technique alone. It's just like it's counterpart in melee: To position oneself in a placement where it places the opponent in a bad position, or to be used to bait a certain reaction.

The lack of use is the reason why it's surprising to people, and even then, it still has it's uses and is not limited in such a way as you describe it.

BTW, long time no see.
DR makes us the kings of footsies in Smash. : D

Also, loving how we're getting Scatz to start posting again without thinking. >: D

bigman40

Smash Master
I'm posting again because I have nothing to do. Trying to get a job to fix that though. Hearing so much incorrect information makes me rage half the time though.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
DR left, turn right, DR left, turn right, shower, rinse, repeat?

Airborne

Smash Lord
Nope. Dash one direction, cancel with DR back, but buffer a dash in same direction that you intially dashed. It basically looks like Yoshi is dashing backwards (and I think there might be a better dance move to call it, but Celes and I called it the DR Moonwalk in honor of the Melee days).

I'll probably post my whole list of DR taunts sometime down the road so y'all can be stylin'. XD

:216:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Oh then whatever I was attempting to do I utterly failed at.

seven7xenon

Smash Rookie
Everybody is talking about the Y-B-C technique but just to make sure, you hit all those buttons with you thumb right, i.e. you don't claw or anything?

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Yes, you take your thumb and slide it down from Y > B > C. Do it fast.
If you short hop Aerial you missed a jump, if you DJ aerial you did it too slow, if you Double jump you did it too slow or missed the cstick. If you just short hop uhhh idk what happened there.

seven7xenon

Smash Rookie
Thanks =), if you just short hop i'm guessing you either pressed the jump buttons too fast and missed the c - stick, or just flat out missed a jump and the c-stick. I've never done that anyway.

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
Yes, you take your thumb and slide it down from Y > B > C. Do it fast.
If you short hop Aerial you missed a jump, if you DJ aerial you did it too slow, if you Double jump you did it too slow or missed the cstick. If you just short hop uhhh idk what happened there.
So if I DJ aerial, I didn't input the aerial soon enough?

EDIT:

So I think it did it, I inputted the buttons and didn't leave the ground. Is that it? And then how do I dot he slide?

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
So if I DJ aerial, I didn't input the aerial soon enough?

EDIT:

So I think it did it, I inputted the buttons and didn't leave the ground. Is that it? And then how do I dot he slide?
Sounds like it. Does he make a quick movement, where he's starting his jump but then immediately stops and stays grounded?

To slide, just input a direction as you jump. I think it helps if you think in terms of how you input (double) jumps in a direction. To DR forward, jump forward, then immediately DJ aerial to cancel the jump, keeping only the forward momentum. Same for DRing backwards.

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
YBC is the easiest way for me to do it, but it screws with the rest of my controller

What do you use for special? Right now I'm using X, which is usually my jump button. I keep SD'ing -_-'

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
X as special is the standard when using YBC. It's a little hard at first, but once you play around with it for a while it'll just become muscle memory, and there won't be any problems. I perfected it in about a day of playing.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I have to play about 5 mins to transition back and forth between X and B. I can't change controls for melee so I have to change around.

bigman40

Smash Master
Just remember how they look physically and muscle memory brawl/melee. I can change between them fairly fluently as long as I remember what I'm playing. I still can't play the same character as much though.

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
I have another question.

I can do it with YBC some of the time, but it messes with my characters and other smash games too. I can't give up that for a (albeit important) tech for my secondary.

So I'm going to try and use tap jump (suicides here I come), and I'm trying to find a good method.

Right now I'm trying X/Y + Tap Jump + Cstick

Any other ideas?

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Yoshi's his secondary. Dude just learn to play with 2 different controller sets. Its not that hard. Just remember that its different when you pick Yoshi. I mean if you're sure that you can't do it any other way, just tapjump > Y A. Its the second easiest way.

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
Thanks

And I realize I may have sounded a bit... whiny? with that.

I didn't mean it like that, I'll try the two setups thing

Top Bottom