• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Dragonic Reverse" -- Yoshi Can Wavedash!

.Marik

is a social misfit
I know. >_< I meant in Melee and SSB.... At least I think you can do it in SSB.... O_o

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I do this in Smash64.

Pretty sure it's possible in Melee too.

Cool to see it's in Brawl, but walking is more effective.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I would search this thread to make sure this info isn't already posted, but I'm too excited.

After some more experimentation with DR, I've noticed that using the few frames of Yoshi's weight change for the jump is more useful than I'd originally expected. Not only can you pick items up with DR or just absorb regular attacks with it, you can go through lasers and other stun-based attacks, too! DRing right into Falco's face is hilarious, LOL!

I know this isn't really new information, but I've just been trying to find applications with it. Someone hurry up and find something really gamebreaking you can do with this.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Well, Shiri, I would but I've beenn so busy I haven't had time to even use Yoshi since I played with Sub and made the guide.

My brawl days are coming to a close for a while soon, I have to focus on school.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Can someone confirm this for me?

I was playing against Jigglypuff today and managed to chain jab combos across flat stages with DR up to some percent that I can't really remember (it's probably not very high, though). The thing is, I don't know if it could be jumped out of and which other characters this might work on (if it works at all), but it seems super handy, especially for characters that you can't chaingrab.

DR is getting more useful the more I play with it.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
i just decided im going to start using this tech, so i have tried it a couple times on slow motion in training and when i tried to slide i jst end up walking over where i tilted the stick instead of sliding,

also with out tap jump u just klick x and then x and a at the same time or is there an ezer way to do it

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
One of the problems for me is that I can't seem to do anything practical with it. I can do it really easily, just wavedashing in place, but if I try to move around with it or cancel it into an attack, it doesn't seem to do anything noteworthy...

Chaco

Never Logs In
Doubtful much? Just because you don't use it doesn't mean you need to down the tech.
I mean he is right, it isn't fast enough to be considered a WD, just like how the DT isn't completely considered it due to the attacking in between.

bigman40

Smash Master
I mean he is right, it isn't fast enough to be considered a WD, just like how the DT isn't completely considered it due to the attacking in between.
I don't care if people call it a wavedash or not. It's the fact about saying it's not useful >_>

Chaco

Never Logs In
It's not useless, in the slightest, there isn't alot of uses though.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I mean shining with a WD was so useful, and then ytou could actually be fast and attack in between. I don't mean to sound down but all they have to do to dodge a DR is spotdodge, then punish you. WD you could atleast go away if needed. I'm not downing it I'm being realistic.

bigman40

Smash Master
I still don't see any difference. I'm being realistic, but I'm not trying to say it's a god move. I'm saying that it's a good move to help with spacing, and mindgames. I know that people can spotdodge to punish me, I've had it done multiple times already (and mostly it was predictably on my part). WaveShine was for Fox in melee, so tell me how does that apply to Yoshi? for the most part, Yoshi used it as mindgames and spacing, which is basically the same thing that's being applied to brawl. Also, people in melee can still punish if you WD wrong.

That's the point I'm getting at, WDing with Yoshi wasn't any different. If every character could pseudo WD in brawl, some characters would have great attacks that can be used in combination as some had in melee.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
I don't care if people call it a wavedash or not. It's the fact about saying it's not useful >_>
How useful is it really? Can you do it in rapid succession like wavedashing? Can it be used for any sort of combo ability?

bigman40

Smash Master
Yes I can use it fairly close to rapid succession. Granted, I still mess up every now and then due to lack of practice (college killing my free time). I've done combos using it, and dodged other people's attacks using it. I've messed up and gotten punished for using it at wrong times (I have to learn though), but I do a good job at getting to another side quickly when they don't expect me to get on that side.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: It's really tough to use.

I think if we get out of the "wavedash" mindset and just try using it as a brand new tool, I think we can find myriad uses for it. I mean, if people ask me if Yoshi can actually wavedash in Brawl, my answer is always, "Yes." However, I think if we use it in place of the Melee wavedash, we may be pre-emptively limiting the possibilities of this move.

To anyone who says DR is bad, it's not. Even if you use it SOLELY to stop Yoshi's traction on the ground, it's got THAT much use.

To anyone who says DR is difficult, you're right. It is.

To anyone who says DR is useless, I can't convince you right now simply because the move is very novel at the moment. We don't have to have a 24/7 Yoshi Task Force investigating the move, but as long as enough people are willing to investigate it, we will find uses for it.

I've recently been coming to grips with a new control scheme to reconcile my egg camping on ground and in the air with DR, so I'm going to be actively trying to DR in tournament from now on. I expect my placings to drop lower than normal (if that's possible, ROFLLLLLLLLL!), but it happens. It happened in Melee with all the techs I tried using for the first time (wavedashing, supershielding, DJCing). I tried incorporating my new control scheme just a few hours ago and people I would normally three stock came down to last stock or even losses. It just takes some time--people who aren't bad like me will be able to see success much quicker.

So yeah, just be patient and optimistic. The move will see some use with experience and age.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
I'll call the DR useless as soon as I can find another character who can do it better. For now, it has plenty of uses. I wouldn't call it a "wavedash" though, moreso "half-dash-dance-that-can-change-direction".

Chaco

Never Logs In
My free time is getting eaten away to, I can't even get the DT down. But I did a few DR's with dtilts in a match and it worked great, expecially at lox percents, you get back at them quick enough to catch them out of the stun.

D

Deleted member

I feel so rotten, im too lazy to learn how to DR. WDing is so much easier!

Demenise, wtf. Thats like saying, since snakes ground game is the best, all other ground games are useless. Lol.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
The biggest problem with the DR is that it is too error prone and will have drastically different results when not performed perfectly. In melee, when you don't perform a wavedash perfectly, it doesn't throw you off so much. Screwing up a DR would throw you outta your game.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
:yoshi: It's really tough to use.

I think if we get out of the "wavedash" mindset and just try using it as a brand new tool, I think we can find myriad uses for it. I mean, if people ask me if Yoshi can actually wavedash in Brawl, my answer is always, "Yes." However, I think if we use it in place of the Melee wavedash, we may be pre-emptively limiting the possibilities of this move.

To anyone who says DR is bad, it's not. Even if you use it SOLELY to stop Yoshi's traction on the ground, it's got THAT much use.

To anyone who says DR is difficult, you're right. It is.

To anyone who says DR is useless, I can't convince you right now simply because the move is very novel at the moment. We don't have to have a 24/7 Yoshi Task Force investigating the move, but as long as enough people are willing to investigate it, we will find uses for it.

I've recently been coming to grips with a new control scheme to reconcile my egg camping on ground and in the air with DR, so I'm going to be actively trying to DR in tournament from now on. I expect my placings to drop lower than normal (if that's possible, ROFLLLLLLLLL!), but it happens. It happened in Melee with all the techs I tried using for the first time (wavedashing, supershielding, DJCing). I tried incorporating my new control scheme just a few hours ago and people I would normally three stock came down to last stock or even losses. It just takes some time--people who aren't bad like me will be able to see success much quicker.

So yeah, just be patient and optimistic. The move will see some use with experience and age.
So has anyone actually been using this in matches? Good results? Meh results? Hopefully vids? I'd like to get a look at how it can be applied.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Tell me about it, and welcome to the thread Snail!

But continuing, I do use it, just rarely now.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Demenise, wtf. Thats like saying, since snakes ground game is the best, all other ground games are useless. Lol.
Nope. Everyone else has a ground game, at least. No other characters have the Dragonic Reverse. Therefore, what you're saying and what I'm saying are two entirely different things.

And when I say that I'm looking for someone with a better one, I mean that the redeeming quality to this move is that only Yoshi has it. If every character could do it, and if it was as useless as everyone says it is, then there's not much of a point in doing it.

Hard to explain.

D

Deleted member

Umm thats not true. So if meta knight could do it, all of a sudden, yoshis wouldnt help for spacing? Is that what you are saying? Even if EVERY character could do it, it would still retain the same properties.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I think he's saying it wouldn't be as special if other chars could do it.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: There is merit to what both of you are saying.

I think the gist is not exactly how special the technique would be if everyone could do it, but rather, how much value it would have on its own if multiple characters could do it. For example, many people (wrongfully or not) dismiss Yoshi as a character because while he is a jack of all trades, he is a master of none. In such a person's eyes, Yoshi's character has less value than those characters who possess somewhat similar qualities, but do what they "do" better.

In the same sense, if a "better" character, or a character who could utilize the technique in a "more beneficial way" was able to use the technique, it would overshadow the DR to some degree. That's not to say that DR wouldn't have Yoshi-specific usage, though, but you can certainly see how the logic of the masses works in regards to how characters and techniques are viewed (despite whether or not you agree with said logic).

bigman40

Smash Master
ALRIGHTY GUYS! I believe I finally found the easiest way to use DR w/o Tap jump on GC. It IS weird, but I think that this might make things, as a whole, easier. Set these buttons to the following configurations:

B: Jump (Shocker, isn't it?)
X: Specials
L/R: Attack (whichever you like. I'm left handed, so I use L)

Now, You slide your thumb from Y to B, and press the L button simultaneously with the B button. You should be able to DR MUCH easier than before. Also, I tested the ETS with it, and it works quite well. Give it a try. I think it might allow some people who can't tap X X A fast enough to do the move now.

Opfer

Smash Cadet
Hmm, I just gave it a shot, and I have to say, sliding over buttons really kills my fingers, dunno what I'm doing wrong.

Maybe this sliding stuff just isn't for me though.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
ALRIGHTY GUYS! I believe I finally found the easiest way to use DR w/o Tap jump on GC. It IS weird, but I think that this might make things, as a whole, easier. Set these buttons to the following configurations:

B: Jump (Shocker, isn't it?)
X: Specials
L/R: Attack (whichever you like. I'm left handed, so I use L)

Now, You slide your thumb from Y to B, and press the L button simultaneously with the B button. You should be able to DR MUCH easier than before. Also, I tested the ETS with it, and it works quite well. Give it a try. I think it might allow some people who can't tap X X A fast enough to do the move now.
wouldnt it be ezer to just go from x to y and a then klicking y to b or x twice. also this doesnt have to do with dr but i know alot of ppl u l as attack and im a righty but i naturally but my left index finger to shield and the right on grab, should i change this or how should i put my fingers

bigman40

Smash Master
X to Y takes too long to have consistency. I'm not saying click the buttons twice. Sliding from Y to B allows enough time to have the 2 jumps register correctly (sometimes if you press it too fast, it'll give you one single jump). You can try using the R trigger as attack (assuming you have Z as grab). I just adjusted so that both of my fingers can shield if I needed to change any controls.

Top Bottom