• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Dragonic Reverse" -- Yoshi Can Wavedash!

Ultigonio

Smash Rookie
The DR is impossible for me without tap jump, but I regularly take advantage of having tap jump off (up-B > double jump FTW), so I'd rather not.

I use a wavebird; sometimes I just use a simple GC controller.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I'm a tapper, the hindrances of tap jump are kind of annoying. But tapping can easily become a great choice for Yoshi, except on recovery.

Easier ETS, means that your zoning game will be better.
Easier DR, if you want to use it. I say go tap. But that's just my opinion.

Also, just using the cancel to other things can easily freak your opponents out.

sallas09

Smash Cadet
I'm able to do this pretty well and frequently, though not quite as fluently as people like Bigman, but its a start. I also have some replays of me doing some KOs with it, and I also have a match on Youtube with a DR kill in it. Im hoping to be able to use DR to excell my game a bit more.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Unless something new and significant is discovered with DR its not really worth the trouble of mastering it. I mean its really nice to know it but its not a gamebreaking technique

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Unless something new and significant is discovered with DR its not really worth the trouble of mastering it. I mean its really nice to know it but its not a gamebreaking technique
somebody told me the same about the wavedash in melee, that it would be useless
and now? it´s used by every advanced melee player

i think the big breakthrough of the DR will come later, but i´m sure it will come ^^...

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
every character can WD and every player can pull it off. this is one difficult tech for one char o.o

this feels more like Melee Samus' SWD to me...

D

Deleted member

If people would spend a month of working on this theyd get it down..
I think it, like slice said, hasnt had a breakthrough yet.

Sharky

Smash Master
every character can WD and every player can pull it off. this is one difficult tech for one char o.o

this feels more like Melee Samus' SWD to me...
Every character can wavedash, eh? Please, enlighten me in your ways of Brawlcoughpluscough. =)

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
somebody told me the same about the wavedash in melee, that it would be useless
and now? it´s used by every advanced melee player

i think the big breakthrough of the DR will come later, but i´m sure it will come ^^...
¬_¬ i was just replying to this post

absent-minded, no?

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
It seems like you could use it as a spacing measure when you land, especially after doing an aerial, but I haven't really heard of people using it, which would imply that it's not overly useful.

SonicBlind

Smash Rookie
The DR is great for last minute situations it helps pull off chaingrabs and helps throw in smashes.

The crawl dash is good for landing (it helps) instead of using the DR from the air onto the ground ,but I could be wrong.

bang19

Smash Cadet
i know i sound n00bish but i didnt really play melee and dont know wat the use of wave dashing really is so how would learning how to dragonic trot improve my yoshi game

Chaco

Never Logs In
Honestly, It's to hard to learn and apply at this moment.

If more uses come from it, I'd recommend it.

However, I do recommend learning regular DR.

bang19

Smash Cadet
k wat are the uses 4 regular dr i didnt play meele very much so i dont really know what wave dashing is...

auroreon

Smash Ace
DR is useful for all manner of things. If you can master it, theres no lag on it so its not like its a risky move.
One of the best things about the DR is no one expects it, infact, most people I ever play don't even know about it... one person even accused me of hacking!
The most basic uses are spacing moves, when someone is far enough away from you to think they are safe you can pull a DR > Fsmash/Dsmash/Jab/Dtilt/Ftilt ect.
Just by using it and making the opponant aware that you can do it, it makes them more cautious about about how they space themselves, a smart player can use this to their advantage.

My primary use for the DR is DR>Fsmash for the kill, if they haven't seen you do it before it can easily catch them off guard for a kill.
When you master pulling it off, I suggest trying to get as much slide from it as possible, because the length of slide varies greatly, from staying in one place to a long wavedash if you get enough sideways input. Can be used to Combo also esspecially at lower percentages, if you jab them and they are knocked just out of reach you can sometimes DR to get another jab in or something.

I suggest you just learn to master it and then play around with it, find what works best and how to utilize it effectively. And most importantly... if your finding it almost impossible to learn DON'T GIVE UP!!!
I personally promise you that, as hard as it seems now, it can be mastered and if you stick with it you will be able to use it consistently far quicker than you think.

bang19

Smash Cadet
DR is useful for all manner of things. If you can master it, theres no lag on it so its not like its a risky move.
One of the best things about the DR is no one expects it, infact, most people I ever play don't even know about it... one person even accused me of hacking!
The most basic uses are spacing moves, when someone is far enough away from you to think they are safe you can pull a DR > Fsmash/Dsmash/Jab/Dtilt/Ftilt ect.
Just by using it and making the opponant aware that you can do it, it makes them more cautious about about how they space themselves, a smart player can use this to their advantage.

My primary use for the DR is DR>Fsmash for the kill, if they haven't seen you do it before it can easily catch them off guard for a kill.
When you master pulling it off, I suggest trying to get as much slide from it as possible, because the length of slide varies greatly, from staying in one place to a long wavedash if you get enough sideways input. Can be used to Combo also esspecially at lower percentages, if you jab them and they are knocked just out of reach you can sometimes DR to get another jab in or something.

I suggest you just learn to master it and then play around with it, find what works best and how to utilize it effectively. And most importantly... if your finding it almost impossible to learn DON'T GIVE UP!!!
I personally promise you that, as hard as it seems now, it can be mastered and if you stick with it you will be able to use it consistently far quicker than you think.
k thx aureon

pwiito

Banned via Warnings
i tried this for over a month, i couln't get it, it's useless, not worth training, there are many other ways to get kills done

SonicBlind

Smash Rookie
(auroreon)

I agree with you completely , if you stay with it you'll pick it up.

The effort you put in is the effort you''ll get out of it.

Back in melee I also played fox I thought I would never learn the waveshine ,but I

eventually got it.Same with DRing ,but i knew I could learn it.

If you think its impossible you'll never get it down.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
hmmm i just notice that dragonic reverse is another language (japanese or chinese some asian language...) for kusoneta. just sumthing i thought u might wanna know, cause ppl ask "why does yoshi's wavedash have such a gay name".

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
So im finally incorporating this in my game using scatz Y B c-stick method. It's alot easier than I thought it would be, I can definately see myself perfecting it in a couple of days. The part I was worried the most was readapting to crazy new controls. Not only is that no longer an issue, i feel more comfortable with the new one.

This is my new setup:

tap off
L- jump= For ETS
R-specials= I feel that i'm more accurate in egg throwing with R. Also draconic egg lay is much easier to pull off.
Z- grab= also used to charge my smashes when using the c-stick.
X-shield= shield
A-attack= attack
Y-jump= for DR, also main jumping button
B- jump= for DR
c-stick-smash= for DR, smash, aerials.

Fingerp@ss

Smash Cadet
If I could DR, I'd probably use it as an alternavtive to pivot grabbing. Example: bair > utilt > pivot grab. The pivot grab could be possibly be replaced with a DR anything.

bigman40

Smash Master
If I could DR, I'd probably use it as an alternavtive to pivot grabbing. Example: bair > utilt > pivot grab. The pivot grab could be possibly be replaced with a DR anything.
That's why I enjoy using it. It's one of the ATs that allows Yoshi to take advantage of mixing up between grabbing and attacking when he has any kind of momentum.

bigman40

Smash Master

K.Mac

Smash Lord
o_O

Okay, I have been off this section of Smashboards for WAY too long. I drop back in here because I realise aurorean lives somewhere remotely close to me, and now I read something about a Y-B-c-stick method for DR?

>_<;

If this doesn't say it; I'm STILL unable to do DR. xD. I'm too reliant on the "Melee" setup to change it and also need tapjump on for the whole egg toss pivot (or whatever it's called... x_x) thing...
Wasn't there a way to do that with tapjump off? -_-

I'll think I'll shut up with my off-topic and hope that someone can clue me in and help me to finally (finally) get DR / DT down. I REALLY want to get this down.

YOSHI POWA!

(formerly Mac Matrix)

Yokipi

Smash Cadet
Similar to above, I'm interested in the button configurations/presses people use to DR? I'm trying to do it with simple X-X-A, but my accuracy is extremely low and completely nil in practice. I'm practicing constantly but improvement seems to be slow...

Top Bottom