• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Draw With Your Power!! Currently going through a transition. HINT FOR WEEK 12!!

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Tablet category = Digital category. ;)

I'll see if I can draw a quickie tomorrow Friday after school, cause I do have some ideas.

**** school tests.
no
tablet catergory = non existent catergory
because zook refuses to add one. he says digitaly enhanced hand drawnings are unfair to normal handrawings, however digital users with the option to have full control over shape and form of all objects in their pictures are a even match for those who can only use a mouse.

if you couldnt tell i disagree

kk bomber.

Denzi

Smash Master
Just in case it hasn't been said enough: Please don't move this thread.

Moar on topic: We've got a lot of good stuff this week, nice work everyone.

Zylar

Smash Ace
HSP : How long does it take for you do recolor those things? ^^

Here is my first Hand_Drawn entry!!! For the lulz!!!!

5 min, 8 min tops. XD XD XD Yeah, I know, I know, but I'm to busy to even try to do better. So yeah... '^^

The scene is Frigate Orpheon btw.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
eh, not as long as you may think. maybe 10-15 minutes. but recoloring is easy, what's hard is fusing. Still, since I'm on a role today, I figured I'd give it a shot. though it's pretty sucky. I'll brush it up later. presenting: Ivycolo. digital.

IC3R

Smash Lord
Okay, I spent a little more time on the pencil part, and this is what I have:

Yeah for Hand-drawn (for real this time)!

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
no
tablet catergory = non existent catergory
because zook refuses to add one. he says digitaly enhanced hand drawnings are unfair to normal handrawings, however digital users with the option to have full control over shape and form of all objects in their pictures are a even match for those who can only use a mouse.

if you couldnt tell i disagree

kk bomber.
They are. There's no reason somebody using just a mouse can't download a free program like gimp to spruce up their digital image.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
eh, not as long as you may think. maybe 10-15 minutes. but recoloring is easy, what's hard is fusing. Still, since I'm on a role today, I figured I'd give it a shot. though it's pretty sucky. I'll brush it up later. presenting: Ivycolo. digital.

Cool, spriting stuff is kinda fun. However, that one looks like you used the RSE sprite of Ludicolo and put the DP foliage of Ivysaur on it, and it looks really wierd. Alas, this isn't the Pokemon Sprite Shop in the Pokemon Center, (or critique thread) so I probably shouldn't give you more advice here.

They are. There's no reason somebody using just a mouse can't download a free program like gimp to spruce up their digital image.
*Agrees*

If you are so bent on making a handrawn entry that was enhanced digitaly, just submit the original into the handrawn and the enhaced one into digital. It's two in one, and otherwise it'd be kinda cheating. There's no need for a tablet category, seeing as it's mostly digital anyway...plus not everyone uses a tablet, they may just use GIMP or something. (like me)

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
you're missing my point.

let me give you an example.

If I were to place drawings that were hand-drawn, but also digitally enhanced, in the hand-drawn category, that wouldn't be fair those without fancy-pantsy editting programs.

For example, Spire's art is definately drawn by hand, but he uses Adobe Photoshop somethingorother to enhance/color them. All I have is a pencil, paper, markers, and MS Paint. My pictures would not be able to compete if they were in the same category.
see what you did there?
you were able to identify spire's pic as hand drawn.
Why does this matter? Simple if spire felt he could do the same good job on a computer with a mouse why wouldn't he. If he had done it all with a mouse it would not be equal to the hand drawn one. What does this prove? pencil beats mouse.

Now read the rest of your quote.
See what you did there?
you admitted that someone who digitally enhaces their picture will beat out someone who doesnt.
if spire felt he could the same good zelda with a pencil and crayons wouldn't he?

Lastly lets look at one of my old post

it is digital and while we're on the subject.............
this is going to bug me until zook explains why it is digital.
i think if you draw it and scan it or draw with a tablet it should be in its own catorgory. most times when people use a tablet or scan a picture, rather than using a mouse, is because thet find it easier to capture the form. with a pencil-led or tablet, you have more control over your lines. and then they use the computer because it is easier to add color. the computer is alot more forgiving of mistakes and allows more ways to minipulate(?) your drawing. so if you were to remove either one the final artwork would be different. either the form may be off some or the color range and background may not be present , or still present but to a lesser extent. so i dont think you can apropiatly fit it into either catergory and it should have its own
TL;DR
Throught this post my message has been the same:
tablet =/= hand drawn
tablet =/= mouse
tablet = handrawn + mouse

ndayday

BRoomer
The final product is done with some sort of digital work though, which I think is the logic behind it. Also, of course a drawing with the supplies Zook has would not compete with say Spire's...because it's digital at the end while Zook's is handrawn. That's the reason there are categories.

Also, not many of the current DWYPers use a tablet. The creation of such a category would make only one or two people submitting into the category, meaning they would constantly be winning with no competition. Categories are good, too many ends up making people submitting only one or two per category. Soon you'd have people sayin, "Oh, I want a 2D category because I feel the people who use 3D drawings are completely different then 2D drawings." When in fact it's a combanation of 2D and other 3D elements of adrawing. It makes no sense.

IC3R

Smash Lord
Everyone better get their stuff in soon or it's gonna be too late! =X

You all have less than twelve hours!!! GET MOVING!!!!!! >:O

Raspberry

Smash Journeyman

Just for the lulz as Ivysaur simply refuses to be drawn by me.
Anyway,hope I'm not to late,and here's an idea.Maybe every Friday Zook should post a riddle about the next character?That way people will get excited about next week.Finally,I must say that I really luv this week's pictures.And late happy B-Day IC3R!!

Energy Whip

Smash Cadet
Oh, Time for my drawing skills to the text but It maybe I might not have time because of Homework but I will doodle about In my lessons on Monday. :)

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
@ nakededede
you and zook are looking at this from one point of view. Try to think about the whole situation, not just that its not drawing so it must be digital.

the begininng is done with some sort of hand drawn work though, which i think causes a dissent with the logic behind it. In what world can you finish your product without starting it. Also a digital image with only the mouse being used would not compete with say Spire's....because it started as a good hand drawing while the aforementioned person is done with the mouse. Thats the reason there needs to be another category.

'Not many DWYPers use a tablet'
i think that if you add the number of people who use a tablet tot the number of people who hand draw it then scan it and color it digitally it will be enough people. Not only that but this thread is constantly drawing in more people. in regards to the same people winning lets look at some past winners.

Spire: he easily won the first and second competion. 2 out of the three he participated in. the one he lost, when he first posted hhis pic he had this to say 'Well, I wasn't going to submit anything initially'
If spire intended to enter the jiggly one he would have spent more time on it and probably would have done something amazing as usual. Since he did not a new person won, Zylar.

Zylar: he took spires place as best digital and since then all his on-time pics have held that spot. Winnig the vote of many, his jiggly and luigi stood out. no doubt if his lucas would have been on time he would have a good amount of votes. he won 2/2 contest he entered

matt won the two competitions he entered in on time.
when matt stopped after yoshi yagimadark took over until he stopped.
Basically the same people already when.

about the other categories, the 2d, 3d one does make sense depending on how you look at it but i digress.

all i am saying is that tablet drawings are too different to compare in either current category. im running out of ways to explain this one very simple point.

think of a liger, a lion tiger. why isnt it just called a lion or just called a tiger.
easy it is too different to compare it to the same species.

Also send any other comment on this to me throuh pm or visitor message so we dont fill up this thread with this

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I already submited my pic. and an unofficial extra. I'm done until the next contest. I think for now on I'm just gona draw my toons as the characters for now on since the chances of the other 2 pokemon or Pokemon Trainer himself being next is slim. Besides, I think I do moderatly well, integrating a character with my cartoon. I did a whole bunch of Naruto-Toon integrates just to see how they would come out. Out of 15 only 2 came out bad, shikamaru and Ino. Ino was just plain impossible to draw and shika just accidentally has a too big of a head. My favorite is Chouji though vuz my cat character is fat and so is Chouji so it really complimented him there and turned out great.

Ange

Smash Lord
I had serious trouble drawing on Friday, so I desided to skip the Ivysaur week. Also, I was kind of stressed.

I'll go around and vote instead! :D

Bitter Romantic

Smash Journeyman
Southern California [Anaheim/Fullerton, San Diego]
if it really becomes an issue, why not vote or see how many people even use a tablet? if enough people use it to warrant a category, then put it in?
really, the categories are for the medium of the work, not the technique/form used to get the piece :/

Rasberry: XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
lolsaur :3

Bomber7: your cartoon is silly/cute :3
we call it cute because it is :O
I hope that you will stay with us and continue to contribute to our thread :3
[continued practice = better :D
really XD
:3]

Zylar: XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Sakurai :3

handsockpuppet: ooooh, sprite edits :O
though, will have to agree with Naked on how stark the contrast is between the parts used for the ludicolo/ivysaur mix. It's a rather harsh mix of pastels with bright dark colors :O
I hope you continue to stay and contribute with us :D

toondiddy:
Also a digital image with only the mouse being used would not compete with say Spire's....because it started as a good hand drawing while the aforementioned person is done with the mouse.
I beg to differ. Just because no one in this thread had posted something by mouse in this thread that would compete doesn't mean it doesn't compete. Several of my friends have many amazing pieces drawn by mouse, but it 'can't compete' because it was done by mouse and not a 'good hand drawing'?

and for the 'tablet = hand drawn>scan>color' argument, if they're doing the same thing, then should those people also go into the 'tablet' category?

or is drawing on a tablet better/scanning somehow inferior?
It's 'different,' but a new category just for using one? :/

does 'drawing' it to begin with warrant a new category?
then why argue for a tablet category. It would go under hand drawn regardless
except there are digital manipulations on those pieces, but that doesn't count, do they?
does the tools/means warrant a new category?
then we should have a MS Paint, PhoShop, Illustrator, etc etc category.

if I have a picture I draw with by hand with a pencil, does my finished oil painting go under the 'hand drawn sketch/pencil' category?

the categories are set by not the style [2d? 3d? REALLY? I added some shading, so put it in a different category?] or the means, but the medium of finished piece

my guess why? due to the tools available for each medium. There is no ctl+z for real life. There are a LOT more options as well for digital, etc, etc. Going into styles would just make it WAY too complicated for a competition [my piece is abstract, so it should go in the abstract category?], as the category listings would then be inconsistent, fluctuating and large :O]

ndayday

BRoomer
Huh, looks like I didn't have time to make my Ivysaur today. Scratch that, I tried but it seriously looks nothing like Ivysaur. It looks like some kind of fat dog/frog and it scares me. So, no handrawn from me this week...I might try to make something else digital though.

And wow Raspberry, that thing is positively creepy and I like it...his eyes somewhat remind me of Llamacario. :urg:

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I'm gona stay. I also find myself at an advantage seeing that we have more than 35 characters to draw (keeping PT seperately into 4 parts not to mention Zelda/Sheik and ZZS and PSS), so I might as well get some publicity for my cartoons somewhere, even though this is online. It'l give me something to do. I'll stay subscribed to this thread until the contest ends.

Expect toonified characteres for no on =D

Zylar

Smash Ace
That's great Bomber! :D Cute Nice pics. XD

Raspberry, you should have put "In in your fridge, eating your rare candies!" 8o

BitRom, lol "Silly Sakurai, trips are for kids!"

D: No Ange, that sucks. Oh well there is allways next week.

EnergyWhip, welcome to Draw With Your Power!!! :D I hope to see your works of art in the near future.

Naked, last time I checked something that scared everyone won.
Alex3's Jiggly

Archive fully updated, and the link works for sure. ;D

Zoon ve vill begin da voting!!! >:D :3

Edit : IITTTTTT'SSSSSS VOTING TIME!!!!!

Mit

Smash Ace
I may start entering this. I've got a tablet, I like to draw, I like Smash Bros, what reason do I have not to?

Also, on the whole "separate tablet category" argument, I'd say that's taking things too far.

Complaining because the people using tablets are winning the digital category over scanned/edited images? Personally, if Spire or the other winning tablet artists were to have used traditional media for their lineart and then colored with a mouse, I think they would still win. In the end, most people's votes depend on talent, and how much they enjoy the picture.

I think it's fine how it is. Digital and traditional. You can't think about it as one making a better outcome than the other. The reason they're separated is because they're two different mediums that are hard to compare to one another in something like a contest. Mediums, that's all.

Also, who's next? >.>

Zylar

Smash Ace
Mit, welcome to Draw With Your Power!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Although I appreciate your participation and opinion, I ask that you take this discussion to the DWYP Discussion group next time. :D Link : http://www.smashboards.com/group.php?groupid=815

Also, Zook, this contest's creator, has yet to reveal the next week's character. Be patient. :3 (^-^)

It's time to vote! As many people have submitted more than one entry, make sure you be specific as to which piece you're voting for.

Here is my vote!!! :

Hand_Drawn : IC3R (Seedling Pic). It was cute! :3

Digital : MASTRLINKX .I liked that cute pic alot too! :3

Most Creative : Bomber7's (Marti Gra, forgive me if I misspelled.) I totally forgot that it was happening. ^^'

Overall : Dragonoise. Well done, and cool style.

Man this week was hard for me. I loved so many of the works. We really have a lot of work submitted, and the ideas were awesome.

Denzi

Smash Master
Guys! Legretta's comp broke down so she had to give me her entry to scan. I hope for her sake that it's not too late:

Hand Drawn btw. I don't know exactly what materials she used, I'll ask her and update this post when I can.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
@ bitter romantic
i said pm me but whatever
im sorry ic3r and others who are tired of seeing this.

in this post i will attemp to cover my argument fully as well as explain why i think im right and disagree with you all. in other words this will be a long post.

When i said a digital mouse image diesnt compete with a tablet image i didnt mean that exactly. what i meant was the mouse user (ill be referring to them as mousers for short) has to work harder to compete with the tableter. Now before you think im implying i dont want to work hard and im lazy or any other mousers is that way listen to/read this.

Any medium can compete with another medium
Yes i do believe this. Look at these to pictures and tell me which one is better:
VS.

If i am correct i think most people will choose the one on the left, i know i did.
Wait a minute?!?!?! this doesnt compute!!! a drawing beating a digital?!?!!? zOMGWTFBBQ

Lets look at another example
VS.

Again imo the handrawn beat the digital, but wait! there is a twist, the digital would go in the 'tablet category. it was hand drawn and scanned, colored in photoshop. (bitter romantic if you read any of my previous post you would have seen i said that this does go in the tablet category seeing as how it is the same thing)

Something doesnt add up though. did a hand drawn just compete and beat a tablet??? Wow. i guess zook and nakededede were waaaaaaaaay off.

Lets look at one more example

VS.

In this case i would have to call the right picture a winner. But does this mean.....
Yes it does! it means that a mouser beat a tableter!
Wow. i must have been waaaaaaaaay off too!

this can only mean one thing. noone was right and any picture can be better then another one.

'Just because no one in this thread had posted something by mouse in this thread that would compete doesn't mean it doesn't compete.'

according to what i said above, bitter romantic you are absolutley right!

but wait a minute, according to what i said above a hand drawing can also compete with a tableter.
However there is a hole in this logic. the hand drawing was obviusly worked very hard on and took alot of time, patience, and well work. the tableter was just a sketch done in math class and colored later when the tableter got home.
So basically the only way a hand drawing can top the tableter is if a the hand drawer were to put in a substantial amount of more work right?
If that is the case then does not the same apply to the mouser vs. tableter argument. the mouser top the tableter but alot more work was put into the mouser's work.

If you want to bring up the 'well the tableter's work is more like the mouser's work in the end' argument i have this to say:
If you go by that logic then why are there multiple categories in the first place? They can all start off different but aren't they the sam in the end? are they not art a form of art when the product is done? Why not just have the overall category and get rid of digital/hand drawn?
Ill tell you why I think zook did it.

Iits not fair to make someone work really hard on a hand drawn piece lose to someone who spent 10 minutes shooping something. Also sometimes pictures in different media are too different to compare.

While i agree with this i think its not fair to make someone work really hard on a digital image lose to someone who spent 10 minues coloring in a picture.

For example
VS.

Is this fair?

Why i think tablet should be a category (specificly)
Both hand drawn images colored in computer programs and digital pictures would go here.

I think that a new tablet category will open up oppurtunities for others to win. If you notice like i said in my last pose people who win will continue to win until they 'resign'. Another category will help people/ give them more encouragement

I keep saying this but tablet take the advantage of both current categories but dont keep the disadvantages. think about it, why would you really go out of your way to do something different when you can do purely hand drawn or purely mouser. the answer is you cant

those are my two main reasons i could go on but i wont.

As soon as we make this category many other stupid ones will want to be made

Nakededede started this with the whole 2-d, 3-d thing and bitter romantic continued.
If you read my post i said they could be justified but i didnt justify them for a reason, I was not trying to make these categories as well. but seeing how this concept confused bitter romantic ill explain.

VS.

The creator of the second picture stands little chance against the creator of the first picture, Why?
1) its more realistic. that particulalry catches some peoples eye.
2)The shading adds more depth and as a result makes the picture that more interseting.
3)Because of the shading the picture is darker, darker drawings usually are better at grabbing attention

basucally shading is just all around better at making you looka at the picture.
Feeling he has no chance the creator of picture B could protest for a 'draft' category.

In regards to the different categories for editing programs. You could but i would say no to this one. They all do the same thing--allow you to make an image digitally instead of traditionally.
The thing about the tablet is it is neither pure digital or pure traditonal which is why i say it gets its own category.

You can say
Digital
_______
paint
photoshop
gimp
etc.

however you can truthfully put tablet under there.

Style vs. Medium
I agree that there are to many styles to be put into seperat categories but no the difference between style and medium.

My definitions:

Style: An artists own spin on an artowk to make it 'unique'

Medium: the tool(s) an artist uses to make his/her work

@ Mit
im not trying to be mean but you're dead wrong. I am actually saying that scanned images as well as images done with a tablet should be in their own category.

Closing/tl;dr
if you say tablets are too similar to digital i can say tablets are too similar to hand drawn since tablets take parts froom both and both have potential to beat it

Lesson learned
Disagree with me and ill debate with you til
1) you give up
2) we die
maybe i should be a debater

IC3R

Smash Lord
@ Denzi: Aww...that's so cute! =3

Hmm, if Legretta had no other way of getting this pic up, maybe Zook would allow it; however, the first votes have already been cast, so......

I dunno. Zook will have to decide...

Denzi

Smash Master
@ Denzi: Aww...that's so cute! =3

Hmm, if Legretta had no other way of getting this pic up, maybe Zook would allow it; however, the first votes have already been cast, so......

I dunno. Zook will have to decide...
What do you mean first votes? There's only been one vote so far, and so what, he doesn't have to re-vote or anything. It just won't count towards Legretta's (and he wasn't necessarily going to vote for hers anyway). I'd think that since It doesn't affect most of the people here (because only one person has actually voted) it should be counted. But you're right in saying that it is, ultimately, Zook's decision. So leave it to him so as to not send mixed messages to the DWYP community (which seems to have a decent number of people now:)0

Bitter Romantic

Smash Journeyman
no, late work D:
late work makes me sad D:
Zook, is the work a yay or nay?

toondiddy: I've replied to your argument in the appropriate chat/discussion group
http://www.smashboards.com/group.php?groupid=815

Votes:
Hand drawn: IC3R - action ivysaur
Digital: Dragonoise
Other: -
Creative: Flying Dutchman
Overall: Dragonoise

IC3R: if you had colored in your seedling ivysaur more [on digital] to go with the sepia toned theme and didn't sharpen the seedling so much (I didn't know that it was a seedling until Zylar[?] brought it up/saw the hand drawn D: ), that would have totally gotten my digital/Overall vote :O

good work everyone and special thanks to all the newcomers here :D
hope you continue to stay and contribute :3

awaiting new character ;D

Ange

Smash Lord
Bitter Romantic said:
Just because no one in this thread had posted something by mouse in this thread that would compete doesn't mean it doesn't compete.
Wrong.

I have entered 2 pictures thats 100% made with a mouse. :)

Or did you mean the Ivysaur week? If so, no I dont think anyone have.

Ange

Smash Lord
Hehe, thanks. :laugh: I dont have a tablet, so I draw every piece on the computer with a mouse, which I LOVE to do. <:

And honestly I think thats a pretty interesting idea, like "Funniest Image" category or something, since alot of entries are humourous and maybe wouldnt fit into any of the existing categories.

Bitter Romantic

Smash Journeyman
I don't have the ability to draw on the computer :3 [I fail when I try]
my hand's rather unsteady too D:
so I can't draw anything other than horizontal or vertical lines [with the help of shift >_____>;;]

and I wish I knew how to use the programs like phoshop D:

idea proposed in the discussion group :3

Ange

Smash Lord
I can pretty much work in Photoshop, tho not really professionaly, I only really use it for making backgrounds and effects to my pictures.

But it kinda sucks when you use a mouse if you want to lineart something, cause then you cant use the option "Pen Pressure", which is a really handy feature, but it only works if you have a tablet. :/

I'll go check it out. [:

Bomber7

Smash Hero
My votes:
Hand drawn: Icer's first pic that was scetched and not colored.
Digital: Dragonoise's really cool Ivysaur that reminds me of a Shogun
Creative: this is hard cuz I wanted this for handdrawn too, but I like legretta's Ivy Girl, It's too cool.

Edit: It's Mardi Gras, don't worry about the spelling. I wouldntexpect anone who hasnt experienced it to know how to spell it, so theres no worry, not to mention my spelling is horrible so it's not like I will get onto people for misspelling something when I myyself am not the best speller in the world lol.

Top Bottom