• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Draw With Your Power!! Currently going through a transition. HINT FOR WEEK 12!!

Dan_X

Smash Lord
You are very good at drawing. But I won't vote for it, since it doesn't even resemble Zelda.
I figured as much, cuz it's not done. Oh well.

This picture, in it's actual size, is larger than a poster. It's also drawn at 300dpi, which is high-res, I can't wait to get this thing printed somewhere when it's done!! :)

EDIT: Actually, you know what, I don't find this a valid reason not to vote for it. I mean, I just went and looked at multiple entries, and some of them don't resemble Zelda any more than mine does-- and mine's not done and theirs is. I think this resembles Zelda in that she'd like like this in real life. If you need her dress to do that then I'm sorry. I'm not finished. About the dress... I won't even be adding it, I'd add some sort of lace lingerie with Zelda-esque style. I'd also aim to add some other Zelda likenesses.

Thanks though, but have you looked at the other entries? Most of them, even if not resembling Zelda, were perfectly accepted and no one said-- "it doesn't resemble her."

hmm. Sorry, it's just aggravating that 15hours of work is just pushed aside on a whim. If I did win, I'd still continue to update the drawing so that the final would show the final drawing. Oh well, we'll have to see what happens.

Thanks guys.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
hand drawn: n9ne
digital: firecrack
overall: frown
creativity: orca
most humourous: NakeDeDeDe

FireCrack

Smash Journeyman
^Looks like you forgot the "Most Creative" vote

Anyways, I guess this marks the start of voting, it's already past midnight PST, which is preety much the last timezone.... maybe not hawii, but err.... So I'l lay down mine.

Digital
Spire III
It captures her motion well, I've always liked a picture that looks "alive" rather than "static". Conceptual too, the idea of a "dark Zelda" is interesting.

Orca's is a close second, but being incomplete hurts it in this regard, I don't really like to vote for something that hasn't been fully realized (lolpun) by the one who has created it. keep going though, your first change has already made significant improvements, I can't wait to see the finished image.

Hand Drawn
Flying Dutchman
As said before, the hand is a little off. But overall the posing looks natural and the attention to detail is great!

Other
Unfortunately nobody seems to have submitted anything for this category, so the vote is null. :(

Most Creative
YagamiDark
Dunno, but the images of Zelda as a 1980's comic book superhero is really... well cool.

Best Overall
YagamiDark
While the face does seem a bit miffed (maybe it's just the camera?) I think that overall this of all submissions best blended a very nice-shnazzy sketching job with a very interesting concept.

:034:

Smash Hero
i can has votes? :3

Handdrawn: YagamiDark's impressed me the most.
Digital: I would vote for Orca's... But honestly, it only resembles Zelda in face, and then not even that much. There's just not much to recognize Zelda in it, so I'm going for Spire III's work. Which, granted, is very far from Zelda but at least still recognizable.
Creative: Frown's entry. It's just THAT good.
Best Overall: I couldn't decide, so I threw up a coin, and Spire III gets it.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
For the hand drawn, I was torn between Flying dutchman and Yagami Dark, but looking at the amount of pencil work that went into it My vote goes to Yagami Dark

Now for Digital. Orca, that's an amazing piece of work you got there, but all I see in that picture is a sorta generic pretty woman in underwear.XD There's nothing on the one that you wanted to count for the contest that makes it recognizable as the Hyrulian Princess in any way. Not even a triforce on her stomach like the one you had before had. :(

So I vote for Spire III in digital Great job with the coloring and shading. It's a very interesting take on Zelda.

I vote for SpireIII for creativity.

Firecracks Zelda was also pretty cool.

It was hard to decide the best overall so like the poster 2 up I flipped a coinXD

Between Yagami and Spire,Spire won the toss XD

Spire for overall

Zylar

Smash Ace
Handdrawn : Supersonic's is pretty and looks like her.
Digital : Spire's. Same reason as Dutchman surprisingly.
Creative : N9NE's. It's not stick drawings or involves magic. ^^'
Overall : Orca. Without a doubt.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Handdrawn : Supersonic's is pretty and looks like her.
Digital : Spire's. Same reason as Dutchman surprisingly.
Creative : N9NE's. It's not stick drawings or involves magic. ^^'
Overall : Orca. Without a doubt.
My God, thank you so much! It means so much that someone has actually voted for me! Thanks!!! I've been working on it for hours more today...

I'm speechless! Thanks!

YagamiDark

Smash Journeyman
Hand Drawn:
I'd have to say that Flying Dutchman's entry won me over. Lot's of detail put into it, and it seems very well done indeed. It was tough deciding this over super sonics', but I felt that Flying Dutchman's just had a slight edge.

Digital:
Orca here. It's so... realistic. Photolike almost. Your sense of lighting is quite amazing indeed. I had trouble deciding whether SpireIII or You deserved the spot, so I decided to settle for a little compromise (Spire for overall).

Creative:
Zook's is the most creative. I can't lie here.

Best Overall:
SpireIII. I put this here because it has more creativity involved and more color. Those are both very important factors, so overall SpireIII wins this IMO.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
READ THIS POST-- Reality check everyone...

i voted for you first, i feel ignored:(:(:(:(:(
Sorry man! I guess I overlooked it!! Sorry!! Thanks very much for your vote, I appreciate the appreciation! Haha.

Ok everyone...
Disclaimer: Don't take what I say offensively, art is ALL ABOUT CRITIQUING-- My work is critiqued all the time, as is it should be. Critiquing forces the artist to more closely examine his work, and improve, it's essential. Some people simply can't take the fact that there are negative things to be said about their drawing, and consider it a personal attack, and it's not. Thank you for your understanding, and welcome to the world of art.

Some of you mentioned you'd vote for me, if my drawing was finished. I outright admitted in my submission post that I wasn't done, so, I can almost understand and agree with this train of thought. Then reality strikes, are you guys ready for this? Probably not, but I digress. 95% of the other entries aren't finished either. Yes, only 2 out of the selection of entries can be considered "finished." For an artist to say he's done working on something and submit it, and for a picture to actually be finished are two very different things.

With that said, Spire's picture is not finished. It's a character floating in a void of nothing. Yes, there's no background, so this isn't a finished piece. Just because he's done working on it doesn't mean the picture has matured to a finished state.

Would you guys like to know which pictures can be considered finished?

FireCrack's Vector art for one...
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6277771&postcount=216
It is colored, has a background, and is otherwise fully complete. Obviously said artist could continue to work on this, but all-in-all it's worthy of being considered finished.

Let's take one of the many "line-art" entries, you know, those drawings that have no depth whatsoever. By no depth, I mean no value, no shading. This is not meant to attack the artists, but point out the truth, shading, and a background make the picture complete.

Check out this entry for example.
Flying Dutchman's Zelda
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6256105&postcount=171
Though I agree that this is a good start, that's all it is. A start. I've pointed out the minute changes that could be made, but all-in-all, it's a solid drawing. This is the point at which the next step can and should be taken. This is when color, be it color or black and white should be applied. Shading is also essential.

Now I understand why many of you don't color, or shade. Moreover, I understand why you guys don't shade, because I've been there. You like what you've drawn, and you don't want to hurt it by shading it. You're afraid to apply something that's new to you. I must however insist that you take a chance, and work on shading. It's the single most important element to any finished piece--that and structure.

Spire:
With that said, Spire, no offense, but, I have some comments about your piece. For one, the anatomical structure of your drawing is very weak. Your style worked well for Yoshi, but then he's an imaginative creature from which we have nothing to compare. Once we enter the realm of realism, or drawing something that is to resemble the human figure, problems arise. Anyone can identify issues with someone's drawing of a human being, simply because they can immediately see what's wrong, what's out of proportion, or what doesn't look right.

In addition, I think I know why you drew the hair the way you did. Drawing that mass of hair in front of Zelda made it easier in that you didn't have to worry about the chest region. Whether you did this subconsciously or purposely doesn't matter, it's just what someone looking at this peice wonders. The hair tends to look funny as it seems to clumpy, almost as if it's one unified bundle of hair.

I guarantee that this is going to be taken the wrong way by people, heck, even Spire, and I'm sorry. Here's the important point of critiquing. Here's where I make suggestions to the artist. Spire, I think you're a good artist, who had a hard time with this past entry. The human figure is a difficult one to draw. You should ALWAYS use a reference. There's NO SHAME in looking at something. If you did look at a reference, take more time to diligently layout the base figure. Coloring a poorly designed figure (anatomically) is masking the problem, and I think you're better than that. A background would also make this picture "pop" and seeing as how you were going for an action pose, something action in the background would have been nice. Heck, you could have made it a simple backdrop, just something interesting. It's important. I think one of your strongest points is color, you seem to have a pretty good grasp on that. It'd be great if you applied that skill to a drawing with a better base. Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to seeing your future works!

Anyways, please guys, let;s be realistic. Mine is no more "unfinished" then almost all of the other entries. So, please, be fair? Don't just disregard my 15+hours of effort on a whim, then pick someone elses who is also unfinished. It doesn't seem right.

Thanks

YagamiDark

Smash Journeyman
Actually it's finished unless the artist says otherwise.
There's no iron rule that states that unless an image has a background, is shaded, and is colored it's finished. That's at the artist's discretion.
You stated yourself that you weren't finished - therefore, your work is incomplete.
I think that my drawing is complete, I feel there is no need for further tweaks or adjustments.
But yes, I do agree that artwork "not being complete" is not a valid reason not to vote for it. I think Orca's unfinished work is more detailed than anything else submitted.

EDIT:
Is there really any difference between an artist being done with the picture (done as in they feel that they have completed it and the image needs no further additions) and an image being "finished"? The definition of finish is to complete or bring to an end. You could argue that completing it means that all aspects must be attended to (color, etc). But there is no fixed definition of finish in reality. If you say that you have to attend to all aspects for it to be "finished", then it could stretch as far as things like texture or material, or time put into it. Finished and done are the same thing considering the artists perspective. It may not look complete to viewers, but it's the artists opinion that matters.

FireCrack

Smash Journeyman
I just want to clarify taht i did not choose to vote for spire becasue Orca's work was unfinished, that was simply an added note I put in there. mainly I voted for spire becasue i liked the creative direction I'm fond of dark/evil stuff. mainly I wrote waht I did ebcasue I wanted a technical excuse for myself, to um.. justify the decision.

Rest asuured, incompleteness was not a big factor at all in making my choice, I have no idea why i wrote so much about it.

At least, i presumed the "best digital" and "best hand drawn" articles were supposed to take into account both the concept and the drawing itself, if I am correct, on pure technical aspects, I would vote for Orca's.

Maybe a best technique category should have existed....

Denzi

Smash Master
Handdrawn:
YagamiDark

Digital:
Spire III

most creative:
Frown

Best Overall:
It was really tough to decide between the two, I'm going with YagamiDark.

Leo Daza

Smash Cadet
Allright, I finally decided to start using my computer again (Guitar Hero World Tour got the best of me). Too bad I'm late on this drawing, but I don't think I would have thought of something for Zelda anyways. There are VERY good drawings, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to comment on all of them.

Hand-Drawn

Frown: PERFECT DETAIL!!! Too bad only the writing was actually drawn by you :p

YagamiDark: Amazing drawing, seriously. Superhero Zelda was definitely a good idea.

Zook: SOOOOOO original. It was actually because of your Yoshi that I specifically stated a creativity vote. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this, keep up the good work!

Yuna: great start, seeing as how this only took you a few minutes. However, I think you definitely should have continued with this, if you didn't want to shade, then at least put some solid lines, and next time, you could have a really awesome picture.

~N9NE~: The horse is really great. The Zelda dress is pretty cool too, though something just doesn't seem right with her... Something you should work on is the upper body, I happen to have trouble with it too, since the measurements are kind of tricky.

Super Sonic8677: Amazing detail, very well done, though the right arm looks a bit weird, should have probably put the shoulder a bit to the right, so most of it would not be seen, would have been more realistic, but great job on the detail!

Flying Dutchman: You too used really good detail. This picture reminds me of something that my friend would draw, great detail, perfect lines, not shaded or coloured or anything. I like the style, usually produces some good stuff, as seen in your picture.

NAKEDEDEDE: OMG!!!! I LAUGHED at this. It is sooooo funny. I think that a "funny" category would be good as well, or something of the sort. This could invite others that are not so artistic into the contest, and we'd all get a good laugh out of it. Then again, it could also go in original, so who knows?

iRjON: You drew this very good, it reminds me of Gaara from Naruto from some reason as well, probably the eyes, although I think if you had shaded it a bit, It would have looked better.

Digital

Likwid-Flash: Great outline, though it does look kind of stale. Color would have definitely livened it up a bit, I recomend at least using the bucket tool to fill it in for next time.

Spire III: Great picture, very colourful, very lively, very creative. Awesome eye and magic effect on her hand. Only thing is: the background. you definitely need a background. It doesn't have to be complex, and something that can probably be done within 5 minutes. The background would be even more essential to this picture since it is an action shot. A blurry background with a couple of colours would have definitely done it, and given this picture the "umph" it needs for it to be perfect. Great job though, I definitely want to see more of your pictures.

Kevin: lol? I like how you made her dress out of the triforce, pretty cool, though extremely simple. I happen to like stick figures, so stick figures FTW!!!!

FireCrack: Very awesome, Zelda casting two spells at once! AShe seems kind of sad, but if your casting not one, but TWO spells, it must mean trouble is comming, and who isn't when they're in some sort of toruble? Anyways, I think colors were your best point, and the shading was placed well. The shoulders have a good amount of detail, but not too much so that it doesn't over crowd it. An excellent piece indeed.

Orca: Very detailed, excellent, and I definitely want to see it finished. Perfect body proportions, looks so real, and has amazing shading (I'm a bit of a perfectionist too, and HATE it when it doesn't turn up right). Well, can't really say much more about it, since It's a very realistic person. Good luck finishing it, and hope you do more pictures this good. Also, while I do think that shading, color and backgrounds are great, not EVERY picture needs them. I have seem many great pictures, in which I know that if color or shading were added, it would most definitely ruin the picture, regardless of how good it was used, for example: comic books and anime. You just wouldn't want to see someone like spiderman be drawn with perfect shading, as some pictures are just meant to be cartoony. But anyways, great job on your picture again, and I know it sucks when you fail to meet a deadline for something you've been working on so hard, as it has happened to me before too.

toondiddy: I actually like the dress, but the neck... it's just so... long... and the head should definitely be smaller and more to the right. If you took a bit more time, it could have looked pretty dece, even without adding much more detail in it.

Well, that about sums it up for me, I mostly put more comments if there was more to say about a picture. And as for my votes, they are as follows:

Hand-Drawn: YagamiDark
Digital: SpireIII
Other: N/A
Overall: Orca
Creativity: Zook

I think I've said enough about them, and it was really hard for me to choose. I wish you all best of luck, and I will definitely be participating next week, hopefully I'll have a good amount of time so I can add more detail than I did with Yoshi, and I definitely want to see a skinny DDD :) so anyways, see you all around, and I can't wait to see what you guys (and newcomers) will create for the following weeks!

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Sorry man! I guess I overlooked it!! Sorry!! Thanks very much for your vote, I appreciate the appreciation! Haha.
np, it was really good.

NAKEDEDEDE: OMG!!!! I LAUGHED at this. It is sooooo funny. I think that a "funny" category would be good as well, or something of the sort.

toondiddy: I actually like the dress, but the neck... it's just so... long... and the head should definitely be smaller and more to the right. If you took a bit more time, it could have looked pretty dece, even without adding much more detail in it.
look up at my vote, i made my own funny catorgory
and about my pic, thats what procrastination does. i spent on and off 20 minutes on it an hour before the deadline. but still thanks for the advice

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Hand Drawn: NakedDeDeDe
Digital: NakedDeDeDe
Overall: NakedDeDeDe

Uh, just whatever ones I can vote for him in.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Orca: Very detailed, excellent, and I definitely want to see it finished. Perfect body proportions, looks so real, and has amazing shading (I'm a bit of a perfectionist too, and HATE it when it doesn't turn up right). Well, can't really say much more about it, since It's a very realistic person. Good luck finishing it, and hope you do more pictures this good. Also, while I do think that shading, color and backgrounds are great, not EVERY picture needs them. I have seem many great pictures, in which I know that if color or shading were added, it would most definitely ruin the picture, regardless of how good it was used, for example: comic books and anime. You just wouldn't want to see someone like spiderman be drawn with perfect shading, as some pictures are just meant to be cartoony. But anyways, great job on your picture again, and I know it sucks when you fail to meet a deadline for something you've been working on so hard, as it has happened to me before too.
Thanks, for your kind words. I do recognize that now all forms of art require shading, or backgrounds, but generally speaking, it's something inherent to the completed form of most pictures. Vector art for example, doesn't use traditional shading in that it deals only in flat colors. Some forms of anime, and so on also deviate from this. Personally, I think that shading and a background are always a must because they make the picture far more appealing. Though, you're right, it depends on the style and direction of the picture. I'd have to say though that many of the entries in this competition weren't drawn in a style that does well without some form of shading / background. Most of them need it badly.

Thanks for the comment, I also appreciate the effort you've put into your post talking about each person's artwork individually!! That was kind of you, as I don't think I've seen anyone do that yet. I'm looking forward to your art work in future drawings!!

In addition, thanks for your vote, I appreciate it!

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I have a quesiton:

WHY ARE PEOPLE EVEN VOTING FOR OCRA.

Nothing against his art. It's amazing. Sure better than I could do. But the only thing that even looks like Zelda is the triforce tattoo, and even then, that's something a fangirl would have, not the princess.

Ocra's drawing IS NOT ZELDA. If I was Zook, I wouldn't have allowed it in the contest. It doesn't even resemble the subject matter. It would be like if I entered a horror writing competition and instead wrote a story titled 'Daisy's magical rose land'.

With Spire's drawing, you guys are failing to see that he wasn't going for realism. His drawing was STYLIZED. It doesn't have to be anatomically correct.

This voting round has made me lol so far.

Hand-drawn: Flying Dutchman
Digital: Spire III
Overall: Spire III
Creative: FireCrack
Misunderstanding another Artists intentions award: Ocra (WTF REALISM?! SPIRE?!)

EDIT: Upon looking at Ocra's picture, I think that he wasn't even going to draw Zelda. Look at the shading in the hair. It looks as if it was meant to be an extremely dark brown, possibly even black. Zelda has NEVER had a hair color even close to that shade. Even if he was trying to draw Zelda, I hold by my opinion that he should be disqualified for drawing a picture that looks nothing like the subject matter.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Firstly, thank you all for voting for my piece. I greatly appreciate the support!

1) Hand Drawn: YagamiDark
- I loved your "Sheik-like" rendition of Zelda, crossing the two evenly, yet presenting the design in [like you said] a superhero-like fashion. It brought Zelda into the light of being an actual protagonist, and for that, I salute you.
2) Digital: FireCrack
- I just couldn't bypass the "toon" TP Zelda. The somewhat dreary, yet focused face, despite very cartoonish, provides a load of emotion in a simple drawing, without the extra muscle-constrictions. You've accomplished something brilliant here.
3) Creative/Conceptual: Zook
- Praying mantis Zelda is simply the most creative. Can't say much more.
4) Overall: FireCrack
- I'm going to have to give this one to FireCrack again, as I find this piece to be the most inviting, and overall successful. It is incredibly stylized, unlike any of the other submitted pieces, and I have found myself from time to time returning to this thread just to look at it. Using vectors was a brilliant move, as it gave the feel that the piece should be animated, despite being a static image, so upon viewing it, one can easily visualize it moving. A piece like my own must rely on brush strokes and form to convey movement, while your approach is very alien to my own. I honor your piece and artistic direction. Really looking forward to your future entries :)

Now, to respond to Orca.

On the contrary to what you spoke of in regards to the "hair in front of chest" issue, I actually began this drawing with loose, light brushstrokes, drawn with no real direction aside from what I felt for Zelda in my mind, sort of like Japanese calligraphy - it's drawn very kinetically, focusing on the feeling rather than the form. The hair just so happened to end up in front of her. Hell, even after both it and her chest were developed, I considered doing some operation to move it behind, but my concept pervaded my thoughts and prevented the change. My concept you ask?

I wanted to reveal a slightly feral, Sheikah-Zelda (as an homage to both Sheik and the sylvan nature of Link). Covering both the lower face, neck, and part of her chest with her hair just kind of happened, and while it may have been a subconscious decision, it was not because I feared drawing her full chest, as it is apparent that I drew quite a large portion of her chest, including her right breast. Now, as to why the hair is so clumped together. I questioned this myself during the process, and looked at other artwork, seeing peoples' hair much more strenuous and disparate. With my "feral" approach, I wanted to ensure that this hair was sharper, edgier, and matted in some ways, actually physically clumping together. I've drawn more realistic hair before, but this drawing was not to aim for realism at all. Inspired slightly by the anatomically incorrect paintings of women from the Renaissance, I aimed to portray Zelda in my own design, and with "feral" and "sylvan" in mind, I also took into consideration the childlike anatomy of an impish creature, with slightly enlarged hands, and a thin physique. I did not want to portray a royal Zelda at all.

As for a background, yeah, I could have used something, but I didn't. I'm not afraid of backgrounds at all, no no no, and I've proof of that in my painting thread in the AE. I simply didn't put a background in this, maybe because I wanted to carry on the feel that Yoshi presented as a means of establishing a series? Who knows. I definitely will in the next submission, whoever it may be.

I very much appreciate the critique, and I totally understand that you weren't out to criticize me.

As for your piece, however, I saw it, and if I hadn't known this were a Zelda contest, I would never have assumed it to be Zelda. As you said, you used a reference for the drawing, and as it always works, drawing from a photograph always looks much more refined than drawing from life or your imagination. Photographs pick up real shadows and highlights, so using that to your advantage is great, but if you're going to portray Zelda, do something that actually looks like Zelda. From what you've said and from how your drawing looks, it appears you drew a woman out of an underwear ad or something of the like, then gave her a Triforce tattoo. I'm not criticizing your skill of course, as it is very well refined. Your sense of replicating values is incredible, and I salute you for that, but there is an extreme lack of Zelda and creativity as a whole. That's why I couldn't find a reason to vote for you in any of the categories.

But like you said previously, I too look forward to your future works. Just make sure they fit the criteria.

Take care :)

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
Thanks so much to everyone who voted for me. :D
Really I didn't expect any votes for the section I entered once Yagami Dark put his upXD

Orca, your work is beautifull, and I can't wait to see the finished result. But as it stands now, I can't see any resemblance to Zelda at all :/

Her face and her hair which was all I can go by since she isn't wearing all that much lol was not any shape or form "Zelda". As a drawing of a woman, it's simply aw-inspiring how realistic it is and how much work you must have put into it. Shading and proportions and how things are positioned are nothing short of amazing. It sucks when you can't get things done and stuff doesn't work out like you want. It's happened to me too and I feel for you. But I can't vote for something that isn't what it's supposed to be. :(

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Firstly, thank you all for voting for my piece. I greatly appreciate the support!

1) Hand Drawn: YagamiDark
- I loved your "Sheik-like" rendition of Zelda, crossing the two evenly, yet presenting the design in [like you said] a superhero-like fashion. It brought Zelda into the light of being an actual protagonist, and for that, I salute you.
2) Digital: FireCrack
- I just couldn't bypass the "toon" TP Zelda. The somewhat dreary, yet focused face, despite very cartoonish, provides a load of emotion in a simple drawing, without the extra muscle-constrictions. You've accomplished something brilliant here.
3) Creative/Conceptual: Zook
- Praying mantis Zelda is simply the most creative. Can't say much more.
4) Overall: FireCrack
- I'm going to have to give this one to FireCrack again, as I find this piece to be the most inviting, and overall successful. It is incredibly stylized, unlike any of the other submitted pieces, and I have found myself from time to time returning to this thread just to look at it. Using vectors was a brilliant move, as it gave the feel that the piece should be animated, despite being a static image, so upon viewing it, one can easily visualize it moving. A piece like my own must rely on brush strokes and form to convey movement, while your approach is very alien to my own. I honor your piece and artistic direction. Really looking forward to your future entries :)

Now, to respond to Orca.

On the contrary to what you spoke of in regards to the "hair in front of chest" issue, I actually began this drawing with loose, light brushstrokes, drawn with no real direction aside from what I felt for Zelda in my mind, sort of like Japanese calligraphy - it's drawn very kinetically, focusing on the feeling rather than the form. The hair just so happened to end up in front of her. Hell, even after both it and her chest were developed, I considered doing some operation to move it behind, but my concept pervaded my thoughts and prevented the change. My concept you ask?

I wanted to reveal a slightly feral, Sheikah-Zelda (as an homage to both Sheik and the sylvan nature of Link). Covering both the lower face, neck, and part of her chest with her hair just kind of happened, and while it may have been a subconscious decision, it was not because I feared drawing her full chest, as it is apparent that I drew quite a large portion of her chest, including her right breast. Now, as to why the hair is so clumped together. I questioned this myself during the process, and looked at other artwork, seeing peoples' hair much more strenuous and disparate. With my "feral" approach, I wanted to ensure that this hair was sharper, edgier, and matted in some ways, actually physically clumping together. I've drawn more realistic hair before, but this drawing was not to aim for realism at all. Inspired slightly by the anatomically incorrect paintings of women from the Renaissance, I aimed to portray Zelda in my own design, and with "feral" and "sylvan" in mind, I also took into consideration the childlike anatomy of an impish creature, with slightly enlarged hands, and a thin physique. I did not want to portray a royal Zelda at all.

As for a background, yeah, I could have used something, but I didn't. I'm not afraid of backgrounds at all, no no no, and I've proof of that in my painting thread in the AE. I simply didn't put a background in this, maybe because I wanted to carry on the feel that Yoshi presented as a means of establishing a series? Who knows. I definitely will in the next submission, whoever it may be.

I very much appreciate the critique, and I totally understand that you weren't out to criticize me.

As for your piece, however, I saw it, and if I hadn't known this were a Zelda contest, I would never have assumed it to be Zelda. As you said, you used a reference for the drawing, and as it always works, drawing from a photograph always looks much more refined than drawing from life or your imagination. Photographs pick up real shadows and highlights, so using that to your advantage is great, but if you're going to portray Zelda, do something that actually looks like Zelda. From what you've said and from how your drawing looks, it appears you drew a woman out of an underwear ad or something of the like, then gave her a Triforce tattoo. I'm not criticizing your skill of course, as it is very well refined. Your sense of replicating values is incredible, and I salute you for that, but there is an extreme lack of Zelda and creativity as a whole. That's why I couldn't find a reason to vote for you in any of the categories.

But like you said previously, I too look forward to your future works. Just make sure they fit the criteria.

Take care :)
It's good to hear more about the thought process that carried into your Zelda. Even if your aim wasn't realism, to most viewers, poor anatomy feels out of place. This of course is nullified as you said you were inspired by imaginative creatures and what not, even still the anatomy could be a slight bit more solid. For example, you could exaggerate the anatomy, make the features longer, or shorter, so long as it all works together. I'll stop here, as I don't want to go on about this and make it out to be that I'm being unfair in my critiquing, sorry if I've come across that way.

As for your comments on my drawing, I do see your point. That is evident to me, and is entirely because of a lack of time. Lack of time however isn't a worthy excuse. In her current form, my drawing wouldn't make one think of Zelda, they'd think... hot chick. Even still, the thought was there. Here's the problem though... So if I go along with my intentions and breath more Zelda into her people will not accept it. Someone previously pointed out in another post that the only thing Zelda related was the triforce tatoo, sure, this is true. The thing is, say in the finished version of the drawing I have a much better tattoo, lingerie based off of her dress, and other Zelda related relics, will people say, "heh that's Zelda?" Sure some people will, but as that last person pointed out, because my drawing is identifiable so much that you can say "wow, that girl is real, and she is hot," they nullify the Zelda aspect. Such a person, again, like that poster (who's name I don't feel like looking up) would say "that's just some model with a tri-force tattoo and Zelda relics." It's funny though, if you think about it.

Why can this picture, by the Flying Dutchman be considered Zelda any more than my drawing? Of course I could take multiple other entries and say the same thing. Though, the only way one can say.. "hmm, that's Zelda, " is the triforce insignia on her head/hair. How is this any different than what I plan? Oh wait, it's a cartoon, and mine's done with a far more realistic undertone.

When I drew this picture, I read the requirements and thought, okay, so we can depict the characters any way we want.... interesting. Obviously you recognized this too, as you drew Yoshi in a very different light than most people had. For Zelda I thought, okay. So if Zelda was a real being on this earth, if she just appeared in my room, what would she look like? Better yet, what would I want her to look like!? This is how I envision her looking, even without those relics. This to me is a Zelda worth saving. haha.

Again, I do agree that my picture hasn't matured to the point where you'd say "oh, that's Zelda." Though, I wanted to draw what I visualize Zelda looking like if she just materialized before me. I will work to give her more of a Zelda feel-- for sure-- even if just for my friend who I'm giving a copy to because he loves Zelda.

Oh yeah, another thing at the very least, as I've said, I'm very happy for this thread. Even if I don't win anything, which I'm not expecting to given the comments I've received, It's gotten me back into my thing-- drawing. So, that's great! :)

/wall-of-text

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Upon looking at Ocra's picture, I think that he wasn't even going to draw Zelda. Look at the shading in the hair. It looks as if it was meant to be an extremely dark brown, possibly even black. Zelda has NEVER had a hair color even close to that shade. Even if he was trying to draw Zelda, I hold by my opinion that he should be disqualified for drawing a picture that looks nothing like the subject matter.
You have yet to answer this, Ocra.

FlyingDutchman's drawing still can pass as Zelda, mainly because of the pointed ears, a correct hair color, and you can see a beginning of a dress, which looks like Zelda's (thought not exactly the same).

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
um orca if you wanted your drawing to be zelda, why did you render the hell out of it before putting on her dress? :p
it honestly just looks like a very well referenced drawing of a photo.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
I really don't think of Flying Dutchman's second entry as very zelda-like either :/ And I can't vote for something based on what the artist wanted to do. Only on what he or she actually did.

All the Yoshi was recognizable because there was at least one trait in each one that made it undeniably a Yoshi. (except for that one near the begining that looks like godzilla XD)

If you're piece's face was recognizable as Zelda's : the right hair color, ear shape, slightly out ward extending nose instead of down hanging. (the nose is kinda hard to explainXD) Even orienting her hair like how Zelda typically has hers would have made your picture much more believable. I've never seen Zelda in anything other than a ninja outfit and a dress so if she is portrayed differently I look at the face. Zook's is a non human but it's still Zelda because everything else is recognizable.

When people portray things, the first thing people look for is familiarity. And then comment on whatever unique direction someone has taken with whatever was portrayed. At least, that's how I and the people around me look at things.

I find nothing familiar in your picture and therefore to me, it's not Zelda. It might be Zelda by the time you're done, but sadly there just wasn't enough time. Please show us the end result when you're done. ^^ and it's awsome that you're this is getting you back into drawing. I really do look forward to what you enter next.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
You have yet to answer this, Ocra.

"Upon looking at Ocra's picture, I think that he wasn't even going to draw Zelda. Look at the shading in the hair. It looks as if it was meant to be an extremely dark brown, possibly even black. Zelda has NEVER had a hair color even close to that shade. Even if he was trying to draw Zelda, I hold by my opinion that he should be disqualified for drawing a picture that looks nothing like the subject matter."

FlyingDutchman's drawing still can pass as Zelda, mainly because of the pointed ears, a correct hair color, and you can see a beginning of a dress, which looks like Zelda's (thought not exactly the same).
Sorry, somehow I missed this. Unfortunately, you are wrong. The only reason I drew this picture was for this assignment. I immediately grew excited because I knew how I wanted to go about doing it. As I said, I scoured the internet for a model that I felt would make a good Zelda, and I drew her. No, her hair is not black. You may have recognized that I pointed out the fact that I will be coloring this... right? Well, what I did, to make my shading as ACCURATE as possible, was turn the picture I was using as reference to black and white. Then, to get more glorified black and white tones I increased the levels. I did all of this on a layer outside of the original reference so that I could then look at the original version. She has more of a beautiful brownish red color--- far from a dark brown or black.

Again, it doesn't even matter what color the model's hair is, as I can change it as I see fit.

You've got a lot to say, huh Skyler? Where's your drawing? I'd like to see it.

People like you humor me, really.

WHY ARE PEOPLE EVEN VOTING FOR OCRA.

Nothing against his art. It's amazing. Sure better than I could do. But the only thing that even looks like Zelda is the triforce tattoo, and even then, that's something a fangirl would have, not the princess.

Ocra's drawing IS NOT ZELDA. If I was Zook, I wouldn't have allowed it in the contest. It doesn't even resemble the subject matter. It would be like if I entered a horror writing competition and instead wrote a story titled 'Daisy's magical rose land'.

With Spire's drawing, you guys are failing to see that he wasn't going for realism. His drawing was STYLIZED. It doesn't have to be anatomically correct.
Btw, before I even go on to deal with you, my alias is "Orca" as in the killer whale, ever heard of such a thing? Ocra though... I don't know who, or what that is.

Seeing as how you are posting on this thread, I assume then that you read the rules. Correct?

Zook said:
I will submit a Smash character for you to draw... In your own rendition. That's right, your own style. Ever thought that Mewtwo should have had his Robot armor as an alternate costume? Make it. Did you hope that Luigi would get a chef outfit in Brawl? Give him one. Love the idea of an 8-bit Link? Do it! Be as creative as possible. At the end of each week, the SWF community will vote on which rendition is the best.
This means we can portray the character in any fashion we see fit. If I want to depict Zelda as some beautiful babe why can't I? I already stated that it's not done, but I believe this is a **** good example of what's to come in the finished version. So you can't argue about it just because I'm not done, I've stated that. You argue that my character is not Zelda. No, certainly not, no way. You then said that even with a new tattoo, even a glorified one, she'd just be some model with a tattoo-- surely not the Princess herself. This is your opinion. Sorry, but I must ask you, how are you accepting half of the entries made is this thread yet you condemn mine? Are you so lost in your thought that you fail to recognize how you're singling me out? Here, let me help you through the thought process. I'll provide for you different entries within this competition and show you why you're being foolish.

YagamiDark His drawing of Zelda most certainly looks as though she has very dark hair, probably a dark brown, or black. You condemn mine for this, yet this is perfectly acceptable to you. Hypocritical? I think so. What about her leg, do you see that thing on it? Wait, is that... yes, it looks to be a tri-force tattoo. Wait... that's not enough for mine right? It'd just be some girl with a tattoo-- again, surely not the princess, right? Sure Yagami's drawing has a more combative look, with the armored shoulder pads and all, but what if my goal wasn't combative? What if my goal was sensuality, and sexuality? Are these terms foreign to you? If so, I'm truly sorry.

Zook's drawing looks about as much as Zelda as a dog does a monkey, but that's fine because that's the point of this thread, fun, creativity: art. By your standards, why isn't this picture an immediate red flag? Surely a mantis doesn't resemble Zelda, does it? Wait, does the fact that the picture has two, yes two triforce insignias make that Zelda connection complete for you? If I put these exact two in my own would it suddenly be acceptable in your eyes? Exactly, you're not thinking about things clearly, you're just pointing the finger because you can... especially because you have no drawing of your own. I'm surprised you haven't tried to ban Zook's entry... Really, I am.

The Flying Dutchman's
entry is also okay with you on the basis that it has... a single triforce? Other than that, why is this acceptable to you and not my own?

NakeDeDeDe's entry
is another definitive example of an entry that looks NOTHING like Zelda. Have you condemned this one too? Or is it simply the fact that it has two triforces? One of which is tiny, and is latched to the necklace. Sure there's a fairy there, but beyond that, looking at his depiction of Zelda alone, how can you possibly accept this, and not mine as well?

Likwid Flash's depiction of Zelda also looks NOTHING LIKE ZELDA. This time there's not a single triforce, yet you accept it. The only reasonable resemblance are the pointed ears. Even then, I'd never assume this was Zelda.

If you don't see where you're going wrong with this thought process then you shouldn't even be allowed to vote because you're clearly not competent. I've pointed out many entries that really don't look a thing like Zelda, but all have one thing in common. They have a triforce or two in each, even if it's the tiniest thing. In addition, the ladder that I showed had pointed ears.

I think it's funny that you can justify condemning my extensive efforts. As if you have some wherewithal, when you're being incredibly hypocritical on the matter. You quite ignorantly overlooked all of the other entries and attacked mine, for some misplaced reason, yet many of the other drawings have the same "problems" that you say mine has. Really man, come on, be realistic.

I approached this differently than others, I wanted to draw Zelda as if she were a real person, I wanted to depict how I'd like her to look as a REAL person, and a darn beautiful woman at that. If my style wasn't for you, fine, don't vote for me-- heck, I don't even want your vote. In the end your vision, your thought process is a flawed one. You're willing to make exceptions for numerous entries but my own.

BTW, I noticed a correlation between the drawings you accepted over mine... They are all cartoon based. Yet mine is based in realism. Why is this wrong? Why should mine be disqualified for carrying out my style? Seriously man, hilarious.

*sigh* I digress..

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Sorry, somehow I missed this. Unfortunately, you are wrong. The only reason I drew this picture was for this assignment. I immediately grew excited because I knew how I wanted to go about doing it. As I said, I scoured the internet for a model that I felt would make a good Zelda, and I drew her. No, her hair is not black. You may have recognized that I pointed out the fact that I will be coloring this... right? Well, what I did, to make my shading as ACCURATE as possible, was turn the picture I was using as reference to black and white. Then, to get more glorified black and white tones I increased the levels. I did all of this on a layer outside of the original reference so that I could then look at the original version. She has more of a beautiful brownish red color--- far from a dark brown or black.
The current shading you have makes Zelda's hair appear to have a color not even resembling her normal hair color. You are capable of light shading -- I can tell this by looking at Zelda's face. Why didn't you do it for the hair? I'm not saying that you didn't draw it for this contest (Remember, I said that I could've been wrong), but even then, this still is NOT Zelda.

Again, it doesn't even matter what color the model's hair is, as I can change it as I see fit.
Go right ahead. As long as you still make the picture identifiable as Zelda, then this would be okay. Even if your current picture had lighter hair coloring, I still wouldn't think Zelda when I saw it.

You've got a lot to say, huh Skyler? Where's your drawing? I'd like to see it.

People like you humor me, really.
Why should I need a drawing to call people out on not following the most basic rules of a contest? In this case, it would be drawing Zelda.

Btw, before I even go on to deal with you, my alias is "Orca" as in the killer whale, ever heard of such a thing? Ocra though... I don't know who, or what that is.
My mistake. I must've read your name wrong.

Seeing as how you are posting on this thread, I assume then that you read the rules. Correct?
I will submit a Smash character for you to draw... In your own rendition. That's right, your own style. Ever thought that Mewtwo should have had his Robot armor as an alternate costume? Make it. Did you hope that Luigi would get a chef outfit in Brawl? Give him one. Love the idea of an 8-bit Link? Do it! Be as creative as possible. At the end of each week, the SWF community will vote on which rendition is the best.
Sure, you can have your own style, but you still have to draw the character. Your picture looks nothing like Zelda. Many people in the thread have already said this. It doesn't matter how pretty it looks (it really is an amazing picture), but it still has to be Zelda. Your picture is not Zelda.

This means we can portray the character in any fashion we see fit. If I want to depict Zelda as some beautiful babe why can't I?
Go right ahead. That 'beautiful babe' you already drew, wasn't Zelda though.

I already stated that it's not done, but I believe this is a **** good example of what's to come in the finished version. So you can't argue about it just because I'm not done, I've stated that. You argue that my character is not Zelda. No, certainly not, no way. You then said that even with a new tattoo, even a glorified one, she'd just be some model with a tattoo-- surely not the Princess herself. This is your opinion.
Many people in this thread have shared similar feelings, included your two biggest competitors for best overall (Or at least, I think super_sonic has gotten the third most votes). This is clearly not just my opinion, but the opinion of people who are also artists.

Sorry, but I must ask you, how are you accepting half of the entries made is this thread yet you condemn mine? Are you so lost in your thought that you fail to recognize how you're singling me out? Here, let me help you through the thought process. I'll provide for you different entries within this competition and show you why you're being foolish.

YagamiDark His drawing of Zelda most certainly looks as though she has very dark hair, probably a dark brown, or black. You condemn mine for this, yet this is perfectly acceptable to you. Hypocritical? I think so. What about her leg, do you see that thing on it? Wait, is that... yes, it looks to be a tri-force tattoo. Wait... that's not enough for mine right? It'd just be some girl with a tattoo-- again, surely not the princess, right? Sure Yagami's drawing has a more combative look, with the armored shoulder pads and all, but what if my goal wasn't combative? What if my goal was sensuality, and sexuality? Are these terms foreign to you? If so, I'm truly sorry.
YagamiDark's picture was recognizeable as Zelda, whereas yours was not. You can make it as sexual as you want (well, no nudes according to the OP), but I still have to recognize it as Zelda.

Your picture could not recognize it as Zelda. I could probably save your picture, send it to a few friends, and get screenshots of them saying that it does not look like Zelda at all. Should I do that? It will probably only take about a day or two.

Just posting this up as for what I have right now because my internet screws up a lot... I'll reply to the rest of it in about five minutes.

Zook's drawing looks about as much as Zelda as a dog does a monkey, but that's fine because that's the point of this thread, fun, creativity: art. By your standards, why isn't this picture an immediate red flag. Surely a mantis doesn't resemble Zelda, does it? Wait, does the fact that the picture has two, yes two triforce insignias make that Zelda connection complete for you? If I put these exact two in my own would it suddenly be acceptable in your eyes? Exactly, you're not thinking about things clearly, you're just pointing the finger because you can... especially because you have no drawing of your own. I'm surprised you haven't tried to ban Zook's entry... Really, I am.
Zook's entry carries recognizable signs of Zelda -- namely the dress and the crown. My point is that if I were to look at your picture outside of here, I would not think 'Zelda'.

The Flying Dutchman's
entry is also okay with you on the basis that it has... a single triforce? Other than that, why is this acceptable to you and not my own?
I have already explained my reasoning as to why his is okay in a previous post, so you can check back there.

NakeDeDeDe's entry
is another definitive example of an entry that looks NOTHING like Zelda. Have you condemned this one too? Or is it simply the fact that it has two triforces? One of which is tiny, and is latched to the necklace. Sure there's a fairy there, but beyond that, looking at his depiction of Zelda alone, how can you possibly accept this, and not mine as well?
I would agree to this being disqualified. It passed under my radar due to it not having a chance of winning, when it clearly should not due to not following the subject matter.

Likwid Flash's depiction of Zelda also looks NOTHING LIKE ZELDA. This time there's not a single triforce, yet you accept it. The only reasonable resemblance are the pointed ears. Even then, I'd never assume this was Zelda.
I wouldn't assume this would be Zelda either. Again, this passed under my radar because yours might have won.

If you don't see where you're going wrong with this thought process then you shouldn't even be allowed to vote because you're clearly not competent. I've pointed out many entries that really don't look a thing like Zelda, but all have one thing in common. They have a triforce or two in each, even if it's the tiniest thing. In addition, the ladder that I showed had pointed ears.
I give a lot of leniency to these pictures. Just look at Flying Dutchman's. Yours, however, looks nothing like Zelda. Dutchman's barely looks enough like Zelda for it to be at least somewhat recognizable.

I think it's funny that you can justify condemning my extensive efforts. As if you have some wherewithal, when you're being incredibly hypocritical on the matter. You quite ignorantly overlooked all of the other entries and attacked mine, for some misplaced reason, yet many of the other drawings have the same "problems" that you say mine has. Really man, come on, be realistic.
I attacked yours because you might have had a chance to win, when you should not have. The other entries went below my radar entirely.

I approached this differently than others, I wanted to draw Zelda as if she were a real person, I wanted to depict how I'd like her to look as a REAL person, and a darn beautiful woman at that. If my style wasn't for you, fine, don't vote for me-- heck, I don't even want your vote. In the end you're vision, your thought process is a flawed one. You're willing to make exceptions for numerous entries but my own.
Go ahead and make her look like a real per-- Wait a second, I think I've seen this before? Ever played a game called Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess?

Seriously though, I've explained this many times in this post. I don't think there's a need to post it again. :p

Nothing personal, man. Just that your drawing isn't Zelda. At all.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
The current shading you have makes Zelda's hair appear to have a color not even resembling her normal hair color. You are capable of light shading -- I can tell this by looking at Zelda's face. Why didn't you do it for the hair? I'm not saying that you didn't draw it for this contest (Remember, I said that I could've been wrong), but even then, this still is NOT Zelda.

Go right ahead. As long as you still make the picture identifiable as Zelda, then this would be okay. Even if your current picture had lighter hair coloring, I still wouldn't think Zelda when I saw it.

Why should I need a drawing to call people out on not following the most basic rules of a contest? In this case, it would be drawing Zelda.

My mistake. I must've read your name wrong.

Sure, you can have your own style, but you still have to draw the character. Your picture looks nothing like Zelda. Many people in the thread have already said this. It doesn't matter how pretty it looks (it really is an amazing picture), but it still has to be Zelda. Your picture is not Zelda.

Go right ahead. That 'beautiful babe' you already drew, wasn't Zelda though.

Many people in this thread have shared similar feelings, included your two biggest competitors for best overall (Or at least, I think super_sonic has gotten the third most votes). This is clearly not just my opinion, but the opinion of people who are also artists.

YagamiDark's picture was recognizeable as Zelda, whereas yours was not. You can make it as sexual as you want (well, no nudes according to the OP), but I still have to recognize it as Zelda.

Your picture could not recognize it as Zelda. I could probably save your picture, send it to a few friends, and get screenshots of them saying that it does not look like Zelda at all. Should I do that? It will probably only take about a day or two.

Just posting this up as for what I have right now because my internet screws up a lot... I'll reply to the rest of it in about five minutes.

Zook's entry carries recognizable signs of Zelda -- namely the dress and the crown. My point is that if I were to look at your picture outside of here, I would not think 'Zelda'.

I have already explained my reasoning as to why his is okay in a previous post, so you can check back there.

I would agree to this being disqualified. It passed under my radar due to it not having a chance of winning, when it clearly should not due to not following the subject matter.

I wouldn't assume this would be Zelda either. Again, this passed under my radar because yours might have won.

I give a lot of leniency to these pictures. Just look at Flying Dutchman's. Yours, however, looks nothing like Zelda. Dutchman's barely looks enough like Zelda for it to be at least somewhat recognizable.

I attacked yours because you might have had a chance to win, when you should not have. The other entries went below my radar entirely.

Go ahead and make her look like a real per-- Wait a second, I think I've seen this before? Ever played a game called Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess?

Seriously though, I've explained this many times in this post. I don't think there's a need to post it again. :p

Nothing personal, man. Just that your drawing isn't Zelda. At all.
Nothing you've said has clarified a thing. I suspected you'd take that route. All in all, your problem lies in the fact that my Zelda is drawn realistically. How can an imaginative character such as Zelda be drawn at this level of realism without my seeking out the real Zelda, and having her pose for me? If I had done some cartoon, even a quick one, it'd be perfectly fine. I could much more easily make her look like Zelda... and you'd have nothing to complain over. I'm taking an ACTUAL being on this planet, and using her as my basis for how I think Zelda should look, if you don't see it that way that's fine. Nothing I say or do will change that. I've already pointed out your flaws, which you've passed off because you said the other drawings didn't have a chance. That doesn't justify you condemning my work.

To give this model more of a Zelda-esque appeal, I planned on glorifying a triforce tattoo, regardless of your opinion. I also considered adding some sort of shoulder related padding, though, I was most certainly going to craft some sort of lingerie to connect from her bra, and panties, which would be modified to suit the lingerie. Said lingerie would be inspired by her dress. If this was completed as I envision, which I clearly stated I was unable to do by the deadline, would it be acceptable to you? If not, you're just outright rediculous. Seriously.

I think it's amazing how adamant you are on me not winning. I think it's extremely cruel of you, and otherwise just a lame thing to do. I worked very hard on this picture, it's definately my best drawing to date, and to me, this is Zelda, in real life. Once finished, that point will be driven home.

Why is it you simply can't understand what I've said? You mentioned showing it to people and asking them if it looks like Zelda. LoL. okay, fine do it. They'll say it doesn't and I've already acknowledged this, why haven't you? I'm not far enough along in the image for it to be immediately identifiable as Zelda. I'm sorry, I really am, but come on. My argument was that the others I made example of don't look like Zelda either. With that said, showing those around likely won't yield comments such as, "whoa man, that Mantis is definately Zelda!"

Arguing on the internet, heck even defending oneself on the internet is an utterly fruitless effort. If you really can't appreciate a single bit of my now 16hour effort, not even enough to allow people to vote me in any category then... all I can say is you're an amazingly despicable person.

Thanks for your time, I've spent too much time with this rediculous crap. So much time has been lost responding to you, so much time that I had wished to spend working on my drawing. Thanks. No, really, thank you.

:034:

Smash Hero
Check out this entry for example.
Flying Dutchman's Zelda
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6256105&postcount=171
Though I agree that this is a good start, that's all it is. A start. I've pointed out the minute changes that could be made, but all-in-all, it's a solid drawing. This is the point at which the next step can and should be taken. This is when color, be it color or black and white should be applied. Shading is also essential.

Now I understand why many of you don't color, or shade. Moreover, I understand why you guys don't shade, because I've been there. You like what you've drawn, and you don't want to hurt it by shading it. You're afraid to apply something that's new to you. I must however insist that you take a chance, and work on shading. It's the single most important element to any finished piece--that and structure.
Ah.

Thank you for the comments, but... It was a bit unnecessary. This picture was made four months ago, and it was more of a sketch than anything else. I do work a LOT with color and shading, as exampled here, here and here.

But I guess you didn't know that, so thank you for the comments. Much appreciated, any help is always appreciated. Next week when (or if) I make a better entry for this, I'd like to hear your comments on it again. (:

EDIT: Don't fight over my pictures, guys. D: And thanks to everyone who voted for me!

Top Bottom