• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Drill rest problem!

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
Idkwtf...

I used to be able to do it perfect but now people just powershield the Rest :mad: !

WTF am I doing wrong?

Is it better to slide my thumb from Y to A in order to Vertkill the Dair as fast as possible, or just C-Stick the Dair? Also, does Jigglypuffs posistion matter ( as in should she DI toward the enemy to center herself during the Dair ) ?

WHY IT NO WERK?! :(

Tyser

Smash Champion
If they shield first then youre not doing it fast enough or you didnt connect enough of the Dair or something.

Excellence

Smash Champion
Idkwtf...

I used to be able to do it perfect but now people just powershield the Rest :mad: !

WTF am I doing wrong?

Is it better to slide my thumb from Y to A in order to Vertkill the Dair as fast as possible, or just C-Stick the Dair? Also, does Jigglypuffs posistion matter ( as in should she DI toward the enemy to center herself during the Dair ) ?

WHY IT NO WERK?! :(
I perfer to use the C-Stick to Dair and I DI from left to right (or right to left) and hope that they trip. If they trip then I use Rest and send them into a hellish world of pain. If they don't trip, I grab or pivot grab. What's nice about this is that grabbing encourages the opponent to stop shielding and thus become vulnerable to the Rest after they trip. It's a bit of a stretch but it does have some consistency.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Oh, didnt know that. Thanks :-D.
Yeah, be truly careful about this. It may appear to work well on Wifi sometimes but against smart players they will perfect shield you. However, the trip stops this and it makes DIing the only way to avoid this. The trick to making your opponent trip is to hit them right above the knees at higher percentages. This essentially makes drill resting a true combo.

TheStig

Smash Lord
This is a true combo. Done right, it says 9 hits in training mode. I do realize that it is much harder to drill rest good players.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
This is a true combo. Done right, it says 9 hits in training mode. I do realize that it is much harder to drill rest good players.
Not if you don't get them to trip. And it doesn't matter if you never play on Wifi, it still can be perfect shielded unless you get really lucky. I used to have a trick where you could hit them with the first 7 kicks, miss the last and hit the rest, but thats fairly hard to do even if it appears as a true combo. And you really have to get them to trip for it to be a true combo.

I perfer to use the C-Stick to Dair and I DI from left to right (or right to left) and hope that they trip. If they trip then I use Rest and send them into a hellish world of pain. If they don't trip, I grab or pivot grab. What's nice about this is that grabbing encourages the opponent to stop shielding and thus become vulnerable to the Rest after they trip. It's a bit of a stretch but it does have some consistency.
Thats exactly how you get them to trip, I couldn't have summarized it better. I love doing an F-smash, F-tilt, grab, or rest after a SHed dair. The F-tilt is simply a safe rest because it comes out fast and does like 12 damage. The F-smash is if they shield for only a second so it hits them unsuspectingly. The grab really punishes them for shielding. I find rotating all of these really screws with the opponents gameplay.

PND

Smash Champion
Occasionally if I trip them I'll predict a techroll and short charge a rollout. I like it because if the techroll behind you instead you can just shoot out of punishment range, or turn it around and try to go offensive. However, as with any tech chasing if you rely on one strategy you will become predictable, and a get up attack with >> roll out in that scenario.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Occasionally if I trip them I'll predict a techroll and short charge a rollout. I like it because if the techroll behind you instead you can just shoot out of punishment range, or turn it around and try to go offensive. However, as with any tech chasing if you rely on one strategy you will become predictable, and a get up attack with >> roll out in that scenario.
Yeah, rollouts use is mainly for tech rolls. I also like boost smashes and dash attacks then.

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
Wow! Thanks fellow puff warriors!

I Prefer Dtilt/JabJab > Rollrest but I didnt know I had to DI back and forth to get them to trip.

Thanks ^_^

Paxz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xyxura
If you do it correctly it is a combo even if they dont trip, I{ve been doing this for a while and it is really a combo.

Glick

Smash Lord
I miss drill rests a lot. Makes me feel like I suck. It works 100% if they trip but I find myself missing them when I need them the most.

PND

Smash Champion
I have the same dilemma. Basically, I don't rely on them, ever. I get my kills the old fashioned way. (Tech chasing Fsmashes or rollouts, or sweetspotted fair off stage)

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I miss drill rests a lot. Makes me feel like I suck. It works 100% if they trip but I find myself missing them when I need them the most.
Learn to make them trip. I rarely drill rest now but when I do, it hits. This is because I make them trip by hitting them above the knees, and to make sure I hit them there, I move across the body and back again.

I have the same dilemma. Basically, I don't rely on them, ever. I get my kills the old fashioned way. (Tech chasing Fsmashes or rollouts, or sweetspotted fair off stage)
I don't like a tech chase F-smash because its too easy to block. Sweetspotted fair looks pimp but my favorites are boost smash, dash attack (its insanely safe at high percentages and is a kill move) and rollout.

Top Bottom