• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

dsmash uses

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
I've been trying to find a good reliable use for the dsmash but it's not that easy since there r better options for rollers(utilt) and edge gaurding(dsmash stilt fair etc). it is faster than the dsmash but less range. I fly think there has to be more potential for it than just every now and then on rare ocasions. any ideas?

right now all I can think of is for a roller at high percent and edgegaurdin someone who is holding on too long

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
I use it when I feel stupid. Seriously, not a lot of uses. Except for killing at high percents and your opponent is non-stop rolling.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
****. I want it to be more usefull. guess back to the drawing board. I think I figured out another edgegaurd technique but I'll wait till I use it more in regular matches to see if it's worth even posting

Trela

Smash Lord
Well, I use it when people tend to roll behind me a lot. I get them all the time ^ ^

It can help with edgeguarding games a little..

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
i use it for when my enemy is trying to pull himself/herself up from the edge(if they ever get to it), i seem to hit them alot when they do. though i use usmash more then that...
also i use it for a speed game when im trying to get my smash to hit before theirs does... dsmash is decently fast...

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
I use downsmash to provide spacing. Personally though I seldom use it because of it's afterlag and how pretty easy it is to punish.

Landsmeer (near Amsterdam, the Netherlands)
yeah it seems like there's not much left to do than just accept that it's just not luc's best move...
and the mentioned above contains pretty much most of it's uses.maybe you can try use it after force palm grab, or aura charge on someone's shield... or roll-spotdodge-roll-dsmash, that seems to work for me whenever i want to use it. however it is not reliable and dsmash is not my fav move because of the afterlag...

Timbers

check me out
Honestly the only time I use it is when they're in some sort of fall special or I just perfect shielded a terribly laggy move.

Even then there's usually better options.

Browny

Smash Hater
spotdodge a ledge get-up attack into a dsmash = win

its hardly ever stale since its rarely used and has awesome low-angle knockback for easy edgeguarding

Timbers

check me out
spotdodge a ledge get-up attack into a dsmash = win

its hardly ever stale since its rarely used and has awesome low-angle knockback for easy edgeguarding
To emphasize on this, dsmashing someone who's on the edge is probably the only time you should ever use it. If it's shielded, they still get knocked away and you go unpunished.

Still gay and hard to land though.

gregWHO

Smash Cadet
I'll be generic like everyone else. Punishing rollers in general is up to the utilt. But punishing rollers near the edge, I use the dsmash. I guess it's about timing. Just as my opponent's character goes through mine in their roll animation, that's when I let out an uncharged downsmash, and 90% of the time it hits if they're within range. The applications are obviously limited though.

I do have to admit. If you can EVER charge a dsmash and KO with it, it... looks... so badass.

gregWHO

Smash Cadet
FP looks better....
Yeah. Actually, I think I somehow let almost fully charged dmash in a 4-player match and killed a G+W and a Pika. Ever since, dsmash is my preferred method of a badass kill especially if sandbagging. lol

Tomkraven

Smash Journeyman
i use it when while people are DI back and forth while in helpless state... or when they come running towards me...

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
i found out yesterday you can hit D3 through his dsmash with our Dsmash, it has deceptive range it seems...

nice to know, just gotta manage to pull it off at the right time ha

Ballistaboy

Smash Journeyman
I use it when someone tries to get back on stage from the ledge, its funny. just when their invincibility frames are about to end, charge it up and they will either try to attack or jump or drop, if they do one of these release the charge... but if they just stay there keep charging it and you'll probably ko them at a pretty low percent because of being the edge of the stage.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
I use it when surrounded by ninja's.
"RAAA!!!" (pew Dsmash, *ninjas go flying*)
Victory
-t2

Just noticed/remembered, my sig WAS lucario doing a Dsmash, you just cant see the ninjas, cause they've been blown away.

*edit
its a new sig now, so...yea...

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Wow. We went from saying Dsmash was the best thing since buttered toast, to giving it the "awkward smash" award. I remember in the older days when they hyped about it being "M2's dsmash on steriods", although I do like it as a killer at mid-high percents. I like it when fsmash seems too linear in certain situations, although most of the time, I usually prefer utilt for a safer move.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Wow, I totally forgot I posted in this thread. o.0
didn't expect to see my name at all.

So, I have now decided, that I will find a new use for Dsmash, glitch or not.
Its a new mission! Ill get back to you on that later. (And ill film it too)
-t2

Kevvviiinnn

Smash Lord
I never really used his dsmash all that much, it's a bit slow and the reach isn't as great is his fsmash's. It does seem to be stronger than the fsmash, so I tend to use it when I'm trying to get the kill but my fsmash has been all watered down from repeated use.

Nurotasama

Smash Journeyman
I tend to use dsmash if someone is rolling toward you of course as it hits them no matter what side of you they stop on.

I also sometimes will hit someone into the air and try to uair them the first few times I do this. After a few times like that I'll stop and let them come down and dsmash if I expect them to try to dodge to the sides to avoid a usmash. The fact that dsmash KOs from center of FD on a Level 9 CPU Mario at 185% uncharged when Lucario is at 0% while Usmash doesn't until 236% also makes it more lethal, and even if it doesn't KO it is more likely to get them off the side of the stage for a gimp/edgehog/edgeguard attempt.

Dsmash also seems less pronounced in its starting of the move and so should be a possible attack alternative if your opponent knows exactly what fsmash looks like at the beginning of the startup.

XavantTheEnigma

Smash Journeyman
*steals a great majority of Azen's stars*

Observe... my new attack! I've increased to Lv. 9 to be able to use my new downsmash technique! ALL ROLLERS SHALT BE PUNISHED FOR ROLLING BEHIND ME. Oh what the hell, I'll kill you in front of me too =_=

HUUUUAHHHHH ULTIMATE NINJA SHUIRKEN DOWNSMASH ATTACK

*throws the stars at different lucarios*

AAHAHAHAHAHA!

Top Bottom