• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Duck Hunt as a revival of the character?

Homsar3

Smash Apprentice
Have we actually stopped to consider Sakurai's genius here. By making a character that can have similar attributes to Banjo, and Kazooie, couldn't Nintendo easily try to recreate Banjo-Kazooie as a new 3D platformer based on Duck Hunt?
Might be a little off topic, but hopefully this is OK.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
It'd be a neat "mini-game" for the 3DS and perhaps for phones if Nintendo ever decides to do anything with phones. So, kind of like the Dr. Luigi game or a Captain Toad game. Just a game to mess around, have fun, and kill time (and the smug dog). :p

I don't see it becoming a platforming, but everything's possible right? It would work as a spin-off, but not a revival since it's Duck Hunt, not the Wacky Adventures of a Dog and Duck.

Homsar3

Smash Apprentice
It'd be a neat "mini-game" for the 3DS and perhaps for phones if Nintendo ever decides to do anything with phones. So, kind of like the Dr. Luigi game or a Captain Toad game. Just a game to mess around, have fun, and kill time (and the smug dog). :p

I don't see it becoming a platforming, but everything's possible right? It would work as a spin-off, but not a revival since it's Duck Hunt, not the Wacky Adventures of a Dog and Duck.
I meant as the character, but, yeah, for the idea of it being a remake of Duck Hunt, it would all most certainly be an e-shop game, or something of the sort.

What I had meant was, since the new design is clearly based off of Banjo, and Kazooie, wouldn't it make sense to use that to Nintendo's advantage, as people have waited a long time for a new ACTUAL Banjo-Kazooie game, and I think it'd make sense to make a 3D platforming Duck Hunt game... this may also just be me wanting to see more of these characters.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I meant as the character, but, yeah, for the idea of it being a remake of Duck Hunt, it would all most certainly be an e-shop game, or something of the sort.

What I had meant was, since the new design is clearly based off of Banjo, and Kazooie, wouldn't it make sense to use that to Nintendo's advantage, as people have waited a long time for a new ACTUAL Banjo-Kazooie game, and I think it'd make sense to make a 3D platforming Duck Hunt game... this may also just be me wanting to see more of these characters.
I don't think that wouldd be a great idea since some people might think it'd be a replacement rather then trying to find a way to get Banjo & Kazooie back as impossible or possible as it may be.

Homsar3

Smash Apprentice
I don't think that wouldd be a great idea since some people might think it'd be a replacement rather then trying to find a way to get Banjo & Kazooie back as impossible or possible as it may be.
True... but, hey, you never know. These characters actually seem dynamic enough just from their facial expressions throughout the fights, with the Dog being an unintelligent, silly, cartoonish character, while the Duck stays serious, is attempting to keep the dog in line, and doesn't have the comical expressions of the dog... either way, if they do make a game, the laugh has to be an attack somehow. Don't care how, just do it. It's already perfect that it's part of his final smash.

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
Considering the Kid Icarus reboot went from 2D platformer to 3rd person shooter, I don't think anything is out of the realm of possibilities. I'd love to see a revival of the Collectathon genre with Duck Hunt.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Considering the Kid Icarus reboot went from 2D platformer to 3rd person shooter, I don't think anything is out of the realm of possibilities. I'd love to see a revival of the Collectathon genre with Duck Hunt.
But that made sense since Kid Icarus involved the use of a bow & arrow. One thing that could happen is a Warioware-like game where it's based on shooting stuff besides ducks like trick shots or those carnival games.

Homsar3

Smash Apprentice
But that made sense since Kid Icarus involved the use of a bow & arrow. One thing that could happen is a Warioware-like game where it's based on shooting stuff besides ducks like trick shots or those carnival games.
Or, if Nintendo is absolutely insane, a shooter involving the 2.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
This thread made me realize that DHD (and ROB) are the only two characters without a single non-cameo game on the eShop.

Prince Lolz

Smash Apprentice
I dont see a game like it was. Peta would be riding their ass before the game was even released. But thats okay, I like the idea of the duck being the dogs friend ^_^ Just make a shooting gallery game. Like links crossbow training but way cuter!

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
I don't think so, given the fact that the Ice Climber series was never revived. Either way, I love their new design. :grin:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Duck Hunt: Uprising. Coming to the Wii U in 2016.
I'd love it if it's like the Banjo-Kazooie games. Man, I miss collectathon games... I still prefer Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine over Super Mario Galaxy games for this reason.

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately, they're not Platinum Games, but wait! Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 are on the Wii U!
A Duck Hunt reboot made by Platinum Games? Where do I go to throw my money frantically out of my wallet?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Didn't Platinum Games make Okami? I think Kamiya was involved in Okami. I really liked Okami and Okamiden.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I really like how I've been slapping the subtitle "Uprising" to everything and they all still make sense.
Maybe they can make an arena shooter type game where it's Dogs vs Ducks.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I don't think so, given the fact that the Ice Climber series was never revived. Either way, I love their new design. :grin:
The fact that we'll never get that Ice Climbers reboot I've been wanting is probably why I'm the most upset that they're gone -_-

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
It is the year 20XX. Ducks are nearing extinction. One duck and and an ex-hunter associate set out to save the race from an evil bowl of spaghetti.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I wouldn't mind seeing a revival of sorts for Duck Hunt, especially with that adorable new design they have. I think there's a fair amount of potential for something like that.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
This is getting better and better. lmfao
*Level 3 Hypercommbo initiates*

Dog (Barking with subtitlez): "GO!"

*Dog starts with paw swipes, and horse-kicks the giant slab of ravioli to the duck*

Dog: "Duck! Now!"

Duck( #quackinitup): "My retro revenge!"

*starts doing his rapid beak pecking jab and finisher, launching the ravioli into the sky*

Both: "HUNTEEERR!!"

*the Hunter starts shooting from the fourth wall, going higher and higher into space*

*Dog jumps into space holding an NES Zapper, along with Duck having one too on his back, both taking turns shooting Zero Lasers, finishing off with a bunch of ducks joining in to reenact Mega Man's Final Smash, the ravioli Star KOing, the other ducks suffocating, and the dog and main duck laughing*

:awesome:

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Ultimate Duck Hunting should cater to your needs. :troll: (I actually like the game)
In all seriousness, I doubt it, as we didn't get an Ice Climber revival.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Ultimate Duck Hunting should cater to your needs. :troll: (I actually like the game)
In all seriousness, I doubt it, as we didn't get an Ice Climber revival.
On the other hand, we did get a Kid Icarus revival.

So basically, it could happen, and it could not happen.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I feel like there's a very strong purposeful design with the Dog and Duck here. It's very cutesy and appeals easily to the eye.

It's very clearly designed to be a popular character.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I feel like there's a very strong purposeful design with the Dog and Duck here. It's very cutesy and appeals easily to the eye.

It's very clearly designed to be a popular character.
So much for the detractors saying DHD is not a popular character and everyone hates him for laughing at them and that's why DHD won't ever be playable in Smash, amirite? :troll:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Unless the duck and the dog are physically abusing each other I'm not interested. I see where you're getting at though, if Duck Hunt came back as sort of a Banjo Kazooie clone I'd play it though I think the Mario Galaxy dev team should be the ones making it with some help from Retro Studios.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I strangely doubt them changing genres. If anything, I think a traditional Duck Hunt sequel would make a nice eShop title. Either system would be fine, though I imagine it being on the Wii U would make since the Wii Remote is more reminiscent of the Zapper.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I strangely doubt them changing genres. If anything, I think a traditional Duck Hunt sequel would make a nice eShop title. Either system would be fine, though I imagine it being on the Wii U would make sense it the Wii Remote is more reminiscent of the Zapper.
I'd be fine with this, it'd give me a reason to buy one of those Wii Super Scopes that came out with Link's Crossbow Training.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
The fact that we'll never get that Ice Climbers reboot I've been wanting is probably why I'm the most upset that they're gone -_-
Ice Climber: Uphiking. See as our two heroes struggle with the dangers of climbing a mountain to reach the submit and mug some fruit or veggie from a poor crow.

Also, they should make a new Duck Hunt 3rd person shooter game called Duck Hunt Downfall. A hound dog refuses to keep killing ducks for his human master just for fun, because of this the dog is exiled and persecuted by his previous owners. On the way he meets a lonely duck and the two become fast friends. Together, they join forces to shoot down the ones after them while uncovering the dark secrets that lie behind the society they used to call home.
It would be like a third person shooter version of Banjo-Kazooie!

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'd be fine with this, it'd give me a reason to buy one of those Wii Super Scopes that came out with Link's Crossbow Training.
I HAVE one of those Wii Super Scopes, and so far my only uses for it have been a novelty but impractical alt control option for Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3. And occasionally for Brawl (R.I.P Snake...).

So yeah, I'd appreciate them giving me something else to do with it.

Last edited:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Wii Play was a disappointing Duck Hunt sequel. They could've added him at least ONCE!

If they did Banjo-Kazooie styled collectathon, it'd be weird. The two don't feel like Banjo-Kazooie rip-offs in the first place, if they were put in a similar location with a similar purpose, you'd have a reskin with so many similarities to the original that it could be possible to sue. Even if the characters are older, you're still putting a creature in with a bird that helps him attack, and they have to go through an expansive world collect-a-thon.

It'd be like Dillon suddenly got a reboot to act like the Genesis Sonic games.

However, as a Wii U/3DS game, I'd certainly see appeal as a E-shop download, but not as a full-fledged title. If they REALLY are interested, and create a game that still has the feeling of Duck Hunt, I'd enjoy it. But there's only so much you can do with the story "A dog and duck work together". Who are the villains? Other ducks?

Personally, a full-fledged game featuring forgotten characters working together (Ice Climbers, R.O.B., Duck Hunt, Mike Jones, Lip, Balloon Fighter) to fight an evil force would be amazing. I might just reboot that old project I had with a very similar idea.

PKNinja95

Smash Ace
NNID
AKninja95
3DS FC
3351-4567-0361
It is the year 20XX. Ducks are nearing extinction. One duck and and an ex-hunter associate set out to save the race from an evil bowl of spaghetti.
That would be ****ing hilarious lmao.

What about "The Walking Duck"?

Duck Hunt Dog kills Zombie Ducks with the NES Zapper

Homsar3

Smash Apprentice
Y'know, I just realized how ridiculously funny it would be to have a scrolling shoot-em-up with the duck carrying the dog, and the dog goes from using the Zapper to the Super Scope to the Power Glove, or any other silly old Nintendo accessory.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You know, with these DHD recolors in Smash... we could easily have a multiplayer Duck Hunt game... maybe make it like an arcade first person shooter with auto scrolling stages. Players shoot down ducks, cans, wild gunmen, cardboard cutouts, etc.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
You know, with these DHD recolors in Smash... we could easily have a multiplayer Duck Hunt game... maybe make it like an arcade first person shooter with auto scrolling stages. Players shoot down ducks, cans, wild gunmen, cardboard cutouts, etc.
Welcome to Big Duck Hunter Pro!

I would want a Duck Hunt cartoon in the style of Tom and Jerry.

Top Bottom