• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E-Canceling?

xDarkElement

Smash Journeyman
I know brawl has only been out for a few months, but has anyone gotten a E-Cancel by accident? Its where you cancel the edge grab. For example i firefox onto the edge of smashville, but for somereason it doesnt hit the edge, and i can immediately firefox again with no lag at all. If it can be done, there should be a way to purposely do it. Anyone else up for the challenge to find out how to E-Cancel? Ill start testing a few things in the next few days.

Andrew Ott

Smash Journeyman
Not always, it can either be random like tripping or it can be extremely hard to do, either one would make it difficult to do consistantly.

Why is it now called "E-cancelling"? >.>;

heroboy

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure what you mean. If you don't grab the edge, how can you firefox again?

R3v3nant

Smash Cadet
I remember I saw this in this one youtube video I saw where Marth dolphin slashed twice in a row on battlefield. I'll try to find it again.

MyRevenge.

Smash Journeyman
There were questions about this in the falco thread as well, just with the phantasm move...
It's happened to me a couple of times... but I thought it was just because of wi-fi...

VietGeek

Smash Hero
No, Marth can do it too. Thing is, it's so hard to do constantly it gets annoying since you're vulnerable at the time it's edge-canceled, and your opponent can retaliate accordingly. It happens when you try to sweetspot a ledge and end up going slightly above and stay in "free fall" at the ledge instead of onto the ground or back to the ledge.

Sigh, this game has so many random glitches.

Coselm

Smash Ace
Yeah this one time my friend was using marth and he did a B-up, went past the ledge, and imediately did another B-up. It basically just looked like 2 B-ups with no pause whatsoever between them.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Well I haven't done any edge cancelling or whatever but I've got a good idea of what's causing all of the nonsense around edges. Slightly above any edge that you can grab on to there is a secondary invisible ledge that has very strange effects on different characters. With Ness and Lucas if you hit the secondary edge with PKT2 on the right side of some stages you can reflect it, keeping the hitboxes and just sending him in weird directions. It also can cause PKT2 to go straight through platforms you can go through the bottom of (like on delfino) and completely go through the sweetspot on the left side of regular stages. The secondary edge juts out from the stage just slightly. I don't know exactly how it's causing this edge canceling thing but I'm almost positive its the same thing causing it as the weird PK Thunder behaviour.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
It's most likely edge-cancelling, as shown in Jeepy Sol's video.

It's been known for a while that the spacies could edge-cancel their Side+B's and that Lucario could edge-cancel his Up+B. I was not aware the spacies could edge-cancel their Up+B personally, but it may also have been common knowledge. I also did not realize Marth could.

In any event, this is almost certainly what is occurring. You're edge-canceling your Up+B, which cancels all lag, and then doing another Up+B in that space. Edge-canceling is a handy quirk, and the ability to perform it on command would be a great skill. I haven't made any attempt to try it too much myself, but I imagine it's not particularly easy to do it consistently. There are a lot of options out of an edge cancel. Another Up+B is one, but the fact is, an edge cancel is usually going to take your opponent by surprise, so there's a wealth of possibilities you can perform on a stunned opponent from here.

If you can pull it off consistently, experiment with different aerials and others specials and really work your opponents failure-to-predict to the fullest potential.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Yes I have done this in the past a few times and left me in awe for a moment. Since others are now noticing I'll try to help out.

Ok, so I've been at this for about 45 minutes now with my MK's up-B on Final Destination. I've gotten it about 20-25 times approx. It seems to be a spacing thing from my observations. I'm not pressing any other buttons or moving my control stick through the animation after I activate it, so I really don't think that's the case.

I'll start recording and analyze anymore that I can. Maybe I can get up on youtube soon. Ill have more later. Peace.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
I've done it once or twice with Samus before. I'm pretty sure it just depends on timing, since I really don't press anything else other than R to ledge tech (as a habit from melee), after I B-up.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
U press down when ur supposed to grab the edge.

Edit: I heard this. Haven't tested it out yet.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Not the case. Well not with mk at least.
At some points I got it consistently to a point, and others I was at a drought.
If it is completely about spacing (which is what it seems) I'm not sure how big of an effect this'll have on the majority of the smash community.

It does seem very interesting though. A couple of facts I noticed were:
There isn't a single lag frame present. I pulled off my 2nd upb so fast after it, I actually missed the startup because i blinked. xD
All jumps minus one for which it takes to jump off the ledge are restored. (ie. Metaknight gets 5 of his 6 jumps back. Pit gets 3 of his 4. etc.)

Very interesting "glitch" if you will. I hope somebody else finds more to this. I'll be keeping an eye here.
=]

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Intriguing--if this can be put to good use, and can be used consistently, it will become a great part of playing, very useful.

Unfortunately, after some testing, I still have not been able to pull it off, trying with Lucario (since the only video I've seen is of him, I figure that will be the easiest one to try to replicate). I'll keep trying though, and I'll try with some other characters as well. If you guys have any tips for me on what you're doing when you get it (even if not consistently), I'd really appreciate it.

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
Intriguing--if this can be put to good use, and can be used consistently, it will become a great part of playing, very useful.

Unfortunately, after some testing, I still have not been able to pull it off, trying with Lucario (since the only video I've seen is of him, I figure that will be the easiest one to try to replicate). I'll keep trying though, and I'll try with some other characters as well. If you guys have any tips for me on what you're doing when you get it (even if not consistently), I'd really appreciate it.
Yeah, it's really hard to do consistantly. I can do it about 2/5 times.

What you got to do is aim slightly above the edge. Start out by hanging from the ledge and jumping up and doing it.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yeah, it's really hard to do consistantly. I can do it about 2/5 times.

What you got to do is aim slightly above the edge. Start out by hanging from the ledge and jumping up and doing it.
Thanks for the tips, I'll try that.:)

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
U press down when ur supposed to grab the edge.

Edit: I heard this. Haven't tested it out yet.
I think you're talking about something else. Holding down as you pass the edge will stop you from auto-sweetspotting, so you can do your Up+B past the stage if you want. With this edge-cancelling thing, you return to a standing/free fall position if you hit the correct spot, so you're free to act again. With the hold-down thing, you don't get to do another move, you just don't autosweetspot.

Dojo Sam

Smash Cadet
Well, I just did this three times in a row with Lucario, but I definitely can't get it down consistently yet. It pretty much looks like this is just going to take a lot of practice. You have to aim basically at the very tip of the ledge, and then you have to barely nick the ledge just enough so you don't actually land on the stage. It's like Lucario's ankles just barely skim and/or hit the tip of the ledge, but it looks like the momentum from his up-B pushes him over. (I haven't tried this with Marth, so it's very possible this "momentum" idea is bunk.)

So, the good news... it looks like this is entirely possible to replicate consistently. The bad news... it's freakin' hard to get it down.

spinseffingcool

Smash Rookie
I'm not new, but I'm no pro I can see how this can be used... cant do it yet... but would really like to see how this is taken advantage of.

Top Bottom