• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E3 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
You can't say that's the problem with fans when so many people are saying Microsoft and Sony had good conferences, or when everyone liked the previous Nintendo ones (not last year previous). I think the problem is that people are angry at Nintendo, and disappointing in the Wii, and needed something amazing to pull them back in. The conference was actually fine, overall, but not to people who were already angry at the system. Personally I gave my Wii away, it has nothing for me. I bet most of the people that didn't like the conference aren't happy with the Wii, and those who are already happy with it liked the conference.

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
Q and A time: first question is about Mircosofts and sony's motion controls, he says he can't judge until it's full done

Puddin

Smash Lord
This is the result of every Nintendo fanboy trembling in their chairs as they pray to their lord and savor, Shigeru Miyamoto. Well done gentlemen. Actually, I don't know why everyone is so suprised it's not like they decided to just stop making Zelda games and this is their sudden change of mind.

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
Roundtable update

Miyamoto san is vague..

I'm expecting Kojima san to come out of nowhere announcing the new stealth Zelda game

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
oh god halloween captain, your such a fanboy its ridiculous

When you look at the quality of games being released by nintendo, it doesnt match up to the competition. Their points arent that no new first party games are coming out, its that no new QUALITY games are coming out for nintendo. Im sorry but Mario Galaxy and Metroid dont match up to games like the Final Fantasy series or Mass Effect 2 (havent finished Sony press conference and havent started the microsoft one). Not saying Mario Galaxy and Metroid arent good, but they dont stack up to the competition. Red Steel 1 was very very mediocre, so part 2 isnt appealing, even with wii motion plus. Wii fit 2? Cool idea, but not a game.

You act like nintendo is the only one innovating gaming. Microsoft revealed project Natal and Sony showed an FPS with 256 online players at a time. I hate sony but I cant deny that 256 online multiplayer is a tremendous achievement. Nintendo is showing us the motion plus (which makes the wiimote do everything it should have been doing from the start). Its cool to be honest, but again, what games does it feature? Red steel 2 and wii resort. Im sorry but I cant get hype about those games.

That being said, Nintendo did far better this year than previous years, but they still havent beat Sony or Microsoft yet

You can't say that's the problem with fans when so many people are saying Microsoft and Sony had good conferences, or when everyone liked the previous Nintendo ones (not last year previous). I think the problem is that people are angry at Nintendo, and disappointing in the Wii, and needed something amazing to pull them back in. The conference was actually fine, overall, but not to people who were already angry at the system. Personally I gave my Wii away, it has nothing for me. I bet most of the people that didn't like the conference aren't happy with the Wii, and those who are already happy with it liked the conference.
another good point

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
What I learned about fans I learned from Yatzhee.

Maybe the "fans" just got older?

Lets face it: Nintendo doesn't do edgy games. It has never made a Twilight Princess before, and I wouldn't be surprised if they never did it again. People who were happy with the Microsoft conference like Xbox games, and people who were happy with the Nintendo conference like Nintendo games.

To be honest though, they were both a disappointment in the same way. We want old IP's to reinvent themselves, and we didn't get much of that, did we? Metroid M was a success in that manner though.

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
7:15 p.m.: Q: Question about making New Super Mario Bros. Wii hard in the same way that the Japanese build of SMB2 was hard.

A: "We really want these games to be enjoyed by such a wide variety of people so that's really a tough challenge for us." That being said, for the people who do require that kind of challenge, Miyamoto and team do have some things in store with regard to the game. "There will be areas that I hope are difficult enough for everyone," he says.

Ugh, this obviously means not difficult

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master

When you look at the quality of games being released by nintendo, it doesnt match up to the competition. Their points arent that no new first party games are coming out, its that no new QUALITY games are coming out for nintendo. Im sorry but Mario Galaxy and Metroid dont match up to games like the Final Fantasy series or Mass Effect 2 (havent finished Sony press conference and havent started the microsoft one). Not saying Mario Galaxy and Metroid arent good, but they dont stack up to the competition. Red Steel 1 was very very mediocre, so part 2 isnt appealing, even with wii motion plus. Wii fit 2? Cool idea, but not a game.

You act like nintendo is the only one innovating gaming. Microsoft revealed project Natal and Sony showed an FPS with 256 online players at a time. I hate sony but I cant deny that 256 online multiplayer is a great achievement. Nintendo is showing us the motion plus (which makes the wiimote do everything it should have been doing from the start). Its cool to be honest, but again, what games does it feature? Red steel 2 and wii resort. Im sorry but I cant get hype about those games.

That being said, Nintendo did far better this year than previous years, but they still havent beat Sony or Microsoft yet
Here's my problem: I can't play those games.

I've said many times that I haven't finished Final Fantasy VII. I'm just not interested in a JRPG with that type of turn-based combat.

I also can't play the new FPS's on either the Sony system (because PS3 is too expensive) nor the microsoft system (because the controls are too troublesome and not fun for me). Halo was the only online FPS I could get good at; I tried CoD4, but just wasn't able to pick up the controls well enough for the online. I didn't like Bioshock or Fallout either, because I just wasn't having fun, in spite of my ability to recognize how awesome they were.

However, I have to ask why you can't get hyped about red steel 2. All the previews are positive, the premise is excellent, and it promises the same level of control customization as The Conduit.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
What I learned about fans I learned from Yatzhee.

Maybe the "fans" just got older?

Lets face it: Nintendo doesn't do edgy games. It has never made a Twilight Princess before, and I wouldn't be surprised if they never did it again. People who were happy with the Microsoft conference like Xbox games, and people who were happy with the Nintendo conference like Nintendo games.

To be honest though, they were both a disappointment in the same way. We want old IP's to reinvent themselves, and we didn't get much of that, did we? Metroid M was a success in that manner though.
It has nothing to do with "edgy" games. I stopped playing the Wii because the games, frankly, sucked. I don't buy a lot of games. For my Xbox 360, I own GTA4, Dead Rising, and Mass Effect, and that's it. I only buy games if I know or believe they're going to be amazing and (hopefully) make me want to play them again. Wii hasn't given me anything like that, at all, outside of Twilight Princess which was a gamecube port.

Puddin

Smash Lord
7:22 p.m.: Unfortunately, no online mode in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, by the way.

That sucks, I don't have any friends that would actually risk going out into the sun just to come play this with me.

Edit: **** Brawler beat me to the point, I guess that makes up for the Zelda announcement. Not really, Zelda is bigger than that.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
It has nothing to do with "edgy" games. I stopped playing the Wii because the games, frankly, sucked. I don't buy a lot of games. For my Xbox 360, I own GTA4, Dead Rising, and Mass Effect, and that's it. I only buy games if I know or believe they're going to be amazing and (hopefully) make me want to play them again. Wii hasn't given me anything like that, at all, outside of Twilight Princess which was a gamecube port.
The weird thing is I still don't get GTA4.

Sure it was awesome, but GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas were both more fun.

Ridley22

Smash Ace
It's over?

That was a let down. Reggie=liar. There were no suprises, for everyone knew they were making a new zelda. They could've at least showed something of it besides a picture.

EDIT: Also, YAY stick it too em' Miyamoto, achievements suck!!

Puddin

Smash Lord
Aaannnd it's over. Wow. I don't mean to be ungrateful, a picture is a lot better than "Pikmin 3 is coming," but that felt a little bit disappointing.

It didn't help that every journalist covering the event thought it's readers gave a **** about any of the questions they asked Miyamoto, but still new Zelda game, everyone is happy now.

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
Did anyone else laugh when they saw Sony do the archery thing with their motion controller and think:"didn't I see this earlier today?"

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
Here's my problem: I can't play those games.

I've said many times that I haven't finished Final Fantasy VII. I'm just not interested in a JRPG with that type of turn-based combat.

I also can't play the new FPS's on either the Sony system (because PS3 is too expensive) nor the microsoft system (because the controls are too troublesome and not fun for me). Halo was the only online FPS I could get good at; I tried CoD4, but just wasn't able to pick up the controls well enough for the online. I didn't like Bioshock or Fallout either, because I just wasn't having fun, in spite of my ability to recognize how awesome they were.

However, I have to ask why you can't get hyped about red steel 2. All the previews are positive, the premise is excellent, and it promises the same level of control customization as The Conduit.
IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW. Your not a fanboy, your just a casual! I take back everything I said. The wii is a perfect fit for you. I on the other hand, enjoy playing ALL sorts of games SO much, that I have a broad scope of what quality means to a specific genre. I am not interested in casual games that are easy to pick up but have no real substance underneath the surface. Believe me, Ive played my games (not as many in recent years, but thats not by my choice :( ), and the quality of games nintendo releases doesnt match up. Nintendo is recently barely trying to reach into the RPG market (odd saying that since they once dominated it), and the Conduit is the one FPS for the wii that doesnt look horrible (we still dont know yet do we?). What else does nintendo have? Fighting games? (Guilty gear is the only good, and by good I mean competitive/fun, one I can think of. But TvC is coming out) Racing Games? (Mario Kart is their best, since it obviously cant compete in the realistic driving environment) Sports Games? When you look at the wii genre by genre, it gets ANNIHILATED by the competition (except for casual gaming and fitness, which isnt really a game genre)

As for you not getting used to CoD4s controls enough to play online, it may be that the online players are just better? Thats the thing about good games, there IS a difference between good and bad people. It gives people a motivation to get better, and have more and more fun as they improve. Gaming should be something people have to improve at as they play, or else whats the point playing? This is another reason why the wii doesnt match up to the competition. Their philosophy is that everybody should be good at a game as soon as they pick it up, which is different than saying controls should be fluid and easy to use. Doing that takes away the best part about gaming.

As to why I cant get hyped about red steel 2, the same things could be said for red steel 1, except the control customization. I unfortunately was one of the many blinded by nintendo's lies about how good Red Steel's gameplay would be, so Nintendo has to REALLY surprise me with something in Red Steel 2 to get my hyped about it. And control customization is a nice feature that doesnt mean jack unless the game is good

So Im sorry if it seems like I hate on the wii, but I love games so much that I hold them to a higher standard, and dont appreciate when companys release subpar products to appeal to the masses who dont play games in the first place.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Geez, Nintendo seems to be sucking really badly... The only have 1st party games, literally. There's nothing at all besides Nintendo games and/or franchises...

Edit: Besides the DS lol.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I think everyone needs to stop correcting each other on how disappointing/not disappointing E3 was. Everyone has different tastes, everyone's satisfied by something different. If someone converted because of E3, it's their taste. No one is at fault in any way here.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW. Your not a fanboy, your just a casual! I take back everything I said. The wii is a perfect fit for you. I on the other hand, enjoy playing ALL sorts of games SO much, that I have a broad scope of what quality means to a specific genre. Believe me, Ive played my games (not in recent years, but thats not by my choice :( ), and the quality of games nintendo releases doesnt match up. Nintendo is recently barely trying to reach into the RPG market (odd saying that since they once dominated it), and the Conduit is the one FPS for the wii that doesnt look horrible (we still dont know yet do we?)

As for you not getting used to CoD4s controls enough to play online, it may be that the online players are just better? Thats the thing about good games, there IS a difference between good and bad people. It gives people a motivation to get better, and have more and more fun as they improve.

As to why I cant get hyped about red steel 2, the same things could be said for red steel 1, except the control customization. I unfortunately was one of the many blinded by nintendo's lies about how good Red Steel's gameplay would be, so Nintendo has to REALLY surprise me with something in Red Steel 2 to get my hyped about it. And control customization is a nice feature that doesnt mean jack unless the game is good
I guess if you want to put it simply, yes, I'm casualish. Doesn't mean I like Wii sports, Carnival Games, or Mario and Sonic at the Olympics though.

Geez, Nintendo seems to be sucking really badly... The only have 1st party games, literally. There's nothing at all besides Nintendo games and/or franchises...

Edit: Besides the DS lol.
Well, their press conference pretty much only displayed first party games. However, they actually have a ton of interesting third party titles that they didn't mention. The ones that seem to have potential to me is The Conduit, coming out June 26, and Red Steel 2. Maybe No More Heroes, but I'm not a huge fan of the art style. And Rabbids Go Home looks like it will have it's own unique charm.

However, the first rule of wii games is that controls have to be a big issue for you. If you don't care about the controls, you won't be all that interested.

§leepy God

Smash Master
I totally agree with Firus. Some people wanted to see the games, some people judge how the presentation went. Because of that, it's different options.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
roundtable talk with Shigeru Miyamoto. Here are some of the things he's said:

-New Super Mario Bros. Wii will have roughly 80 or so stages.
-One of Miyamoto's favorite stages is a snow level where you dawn a penguin suit.
-Super Mario Galaxy 2 will contain roughly 90 to 95% new content. Not sure if he's referring to stages or suits, but still don't let that number discourage you - that's a heck of a lot of new content.
-Galaxy 2 is very far along in development, but decided to release it next year due to New Super Mario Bros. Wii.
-Miyamoto says that the island in Wii Sports Resort is sort of like a character of its own since it's already appeared in Wii Fit, will appear in this game, and will also appear in Wii Fit Plus.
-Miyamoto says The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks will have quite a lot of train travel in it.
-Miyamoto shows off an illustration for The Legend of Zelda Wii. The new Link will be grown up. Won't be a teenager apparently, like he was in the previous games. It'll also be realistic.
-Miyamoto says that it's a possibility that the new Zelda game will make exclusive Wii MotionPlus use. He's not confirming anything though.
-Miyamoto says that game will try to appeal to those who view Zelda as an RPG and those who think otherwise.
-When playing the archery game and the sword fighting game in Wii Sports Resort, Miyamoto says to think that this might be how Zelda will work.
-Spirit Tracks will have four player multiplayer mode. No specifics were given.
-Miyamoto hopes to fully reveal Wii Zelda at next year's E3. Fine by me, I can wait.
-Once source is saying that bowling will be in Wii Sports Resort. I wouldn't be surprised - it's a favorite with the elderly people, not to mention my entire family played the game!
-Well, some disappointing news: New Super Mario Bros. Wii won't have any online play. Oh well, I don't care much about that, anyway.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
It's over?

That was a let down. Reggie=liar. There were no suprises, for everyone knew they were making a new zelda.
Pretty sure Reggie said maybe. I mean how would it have looked if they just went:

so any more surprises from miyamoto'

'no, that's it''

Deception

Smash Ace
so...if the next zelda is motion plus, does that mean there will be no nunchuck?
Of course there will be a nunchuck. There's a slot of some sort that let's you plug it into the remote even with motion plus attached.

Odd how Miyamoto didn't really do much this E3, especially with it being a great improvement over last year's.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
TvC is also getting 5 additional characters (although they are removing one).

Nintendo is finally starting to **** again.

THE HELL?

Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo?

HOLY CRAP I WANT THAT.

GAWD, I love the original DragonBall.

Before all the Ultra-super-mega-hyper-uber-saiyan-over-9000-monkey-form ****.

I think everyone needs to stop correcting each other on how disappointing/not disappointing E3 was. Everyone has different tastes, everyone's satisfied by something different. If someone converted because of E3, it's their taste. No one is at fault in any way here.
Welcome to the internetz, you want your trolling for here or to go?

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
You complain about the Wii's line-up while only buying three Xbox360 games. Not necessarily defending the Wii here, but those three games alone amount to probably less than one-fifth of the 360's AAAE lineup. Of course you might have rented a lot of 360 games and experienced the other AAAE's as you neither proved or disproved that in this post.

You can say the Wii sucks, I am not debating that particular opinion, but you really cannot praise the competition for being that much better than it if you only bought three of their games (even if you played a lot of other 360, they really could not have been that compelling if you didn't bother to buy them afterwards.).

Unrelated note entirely, the online aspect (and graphics, but videogames will never beat the real world in that aspect) of the 360's or PS3's game libraries is the ONLY thing that can be even legitimize the notion that their games are massively better than the Wii's in my opinion. Part of me still beleives that the Wii is better in the single-player department if you include its AAE and A games.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Does anyone have the "picture" shown of Pikmin 3?
E3 2009: Miyamoto Apologizes For Pikmin 3 Not Appearing At E3
Tony Miller 6/2/2009, 11:06pm Eastern Time

Miyamoto held a private round table discussion today during the show and was asked about Pikmin 3. Here was his response:

“I’m sorry. Unfortunately we haven’t been able to expand the team size very much, because we’ve been working on so many different games that we’ve shown off at the show. So the team is working very hard, but it’s a bit of a small team…The basic work that they’ve been doing quite nicely….my basic idea is that the sense of the depth of the game and the simplicity of the control will all be there.”
With the amount of games Nintendo is working on I would expect to hear about this game later this year or early 2010.

Source: Nintendo

HylianBoy

Smash Apprentice

Actually, weather or not there are ones better than the others is quite opinionated considering they are all of different genre.

Mario = Great
Metroid = Great
Final Fantasy = Great
Mass Effect = Great

Everyone knows those games that have those titles on it will be grand but everyone also has their own views and opinions on them. It's the same case even with pro video game reviewers.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
That was a let down. Reggie=liar. There were no suprises, for everyone knew they were making a new zelda.
No, everyone assumed they were. They never said anything about making a new Zelda until that roundtable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom