• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 E3 2014 Rumor/Leak Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
I think the whole mess is fake. And that's coming from someone who believes the Sal leak.

My reasons for this are multiple.

- The shape of the roster just seems off to me. 17x3? I know we live in a widescreen era now, but that would make all those icons super tiny on the screen, and I don't like that.
- To me, stuff looks pixelated. I'm not saying that automatically disproves it. I'm just saying that a professional game like Smash 4 hasn't looked pixelated anywhere else. Why in the character select screen?
- Not showing Ridley initially immediately raised my suspicions. If you're a leaker and you want to prove it's real, get some hard-hitting evidence to prove that. You're TWO INCHES from the monitor. Angle that camera like 10 degrees to the left AND SHOW RIDLEY
- The water/stain marks on the monitor reek of home computer to me.
- So far nothing is conclusive proof that these are real. Sure there's the possibility, but it's also completely possible someone is good with Photoshop, made a mock-up character select screen, and is trolling everyone.
- I like the locks idea, but I do think it looks odd like that. Sakurai doesn't give us exact numbers to figure out. From these images, we can say "hey there are 50 characters total!" "Hey, there are five Zelda characters." Sakurai has never in the past done that. He may show question marks, like Melee, but even then things shift around and move, almost as if Sakurai was planning it the whole time and saying "aaaah! fooled you! hah!"

I don't have any concrete evidence against these leaks, but you just get that gut feeling, you know? As much as I want to believe these, there's just something about them that screams fake to me. They look professional to a degree, but break it down to a professional level like Nintendo and it falls flat.

This is literally everything I had to say. This is the very mature outlook on it and very plausible. More people should like your post to be honest.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Well this isn't a thread about this leak specifically, it is a general E3 leak thread so they can't lock it.
Oh. Well, I hope this speculation stops until we get a new "leak".

The only positive thing was that it helped kill my evening.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I hate to beat a dead horse, but what exactly has proven that the first two pictures were fake? I can understand the others, but what about the original ones?

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I hate to beat a dead horse, but what exactly has proven that the first two pictures were fake? I can understand the others, but what about the original ones?
Apparently the font is a font that's easily available, but not the same one that has been used in the direct, which would be harder to obtain. It's close, but not exact.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Just for good measure:

Type nerd in the house.

So the "e" in the real screenshot has a tiny counterspace compared to the leak "e".

The space between the legs of the "n" in the real screenshot is larger than that of the leak.

the "e" and "o" in the real screenshot are taller than they are wide, while in the leaks, the "e" and "o" are wider.

The "r in "For Fun" or "for glory" has a longer shoulder than the one in "Free For All"

The "A" in Anyone has equal thickness for both legs, whereas the "All" in "Free For All" has a thicker right leg.

The "i" in "With Anyone" has a circular dot, and the dot rises higher than the ascender height of the lowercase "t" in "With"
The real "i" also has a stem that stops shy of the stem of the "n" in online," whereas the height of the stems in the "i" and "n" in "Options" are equal in height.

The tail of the "t" in "With Anyone" is thicker than the vertical stroke, whereas in "Options," the T's tail is thinner than the vertical stroke.

The drop shadow behind the "e" is perfectly round in the "Anyone," but not so in "Free For All."

In short, the font used in the leaks has characteristics of Franklin Gothic that the font used in the real screenshot does not have.

Oh, and this is comparing to the original 2 photos.
Addendum: the proportions of all the shared letters are different.

Qualifications: I have a BFA in graphic design (forgive me if I sound pretentious by saying that).

Last edited:

plrichard

Smash Cadet
Just for good measure:

Addendum: the proportions of all the shared letters are different.

Qualifications: I have a BFA in graphic design (forgive me if I sound pretentious by saying that).
Only a little ;) but seriously, good work. Don't know if this kills it but it's definitely more than a flesh wound. I think we can all agree we'd love to see 50 characters though. What a way for me to get thrust into this community haha.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I believe it was how the text used in that screen was ripped from the Direct. I don't know exactly though, but go back about two pages and that should provide the answer.

Edit: The guy who proved the leak false posted already.

Last edited:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Only a little ;) but seriously, good work. Don't know if this kills it but it's definitely more than a flesh wound. I think we can all agree we'd love to see 50 characters though. What a way for me to get thrust into this community haha.
Believe me, bro, I want 50 characters too. XD

Sebagomez

Smash Journeyman
wow 1 night took
took, show that it is false (maybe)
Good photoshop, 10\10 is really good

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Really disappointed this is false. Why couldn't the Gematsu leak been debunked instead? :p

Oh well, it was fun to analyse this, here's hoping another convincing "leak" comes around soon.

Scoob

Smash Apprentice
If Mew2King doesn't get invited to the E3 invitational tournament, then I'm scared to see who the Big N considers "pro players". Apparently there was that one youtuber guy. That's a bad sign.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
If Mew2King doesn't get invited to the E3 invitational tournament, then I'm scared to see who the Big N considers "pro players". Apparently there was that one youtuber guy. That's a bad sign.
I wouldn't worry about that. Nintendo wants actual professionals at this game, not annoying Youtube "sensationalists".

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
To think, it ends with a cheaper font. Kind of a let down really. Well, bring on the next leak!

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Not to dwell on the topic, but just for fun, I did a little digging to find out what typeface they use in the game. I looks like they're using this guy:

http://www.linotype.com/661737/DFGothicJapanese-family.html

I used "For Fun For Glory With Anyone" to test it out.

It's pretty close with some minor differences that could be attributed to the variant of the typeface that the foundry has the rights to, or different editions of the same font. For example, "Helvetica" and "Helvetica Neue" for all intents and purposes, the same typeface, but comparing the two, you'd find very minute differences in letter spacing, proportions of some of the letters, etc. Helvetica Neue was a revision of the original Helvetica, which was made in the 50s.

Anybody have $500 to spend on a font for a hoax? XD

EDIT: I realize that you can just type out some sample text and then copy/paste or screen cap the result for a hoax.

For comparison, here's Franklin Gothic, which upon closer inspection, might not be exactly what the leaker used, but it's pretty dang close. There are a lot of fonts that are really similar to Franklin Gothic. Old typefaces have had a lot of knockoffs over the years. Arial is a knockoff of Helvetica. =P

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/urw/franklin-gothic/webfont_preview.html

I used "Free For All Options Colors" to test it out.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Not to dwell on the topic, but just for fun, I did a little digging to find out what typeface they use in the game. I looks like they're using this guy:

http://www.linotype.com/661737/DFGothicJapanese-family.html

I used "For Fun For Glory With Anyone" to test it out.

It's pretty close with some minor differences that could be attributed to the variant of the typeface that the foundry has the rights to, or different editions of the same font. For example, "Helvetica" and "Helvetica Neue" for all intents and purposes, the same typeface, but comparing the two, you'd find very minute differences in letter spacing, proportions of some of the letters, etc. Helvetica Neue was a revision of the original Helvetica, which was made in the 50s.

Anybody have $500 to spend on a font for a hoax? XD

For comparison, here's Franklin Gothic, which upon closer inspection, might not be exactly what the leaker used, but it's pretty dang close.

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/urw/franklin-gothic/webfont_preview.html

I used "Free For All Options Colors" to test it out.
That is sweet, but now that you have spilled some info, the "leakers" will try to use this to their advantage.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
That is sweet, but now that you have spilled some info, the "leakers" will try to use this to their advantage.
Meh, oh well. If they post new shots of the character select screen using that font suddenly, we'll know it's fake for sure. =P

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher

Type nerd in the house.

So the "e" in the real screenshot has a tiny counterspace compared to the leak "e".

The space between the legs of the "n" in the real screenshot is larger than that of the leak.

the "e" and "o" in the real screenshot are taller than they are wide, while in the leaks, the "e" and "o" are wider.

The "r in "For Fun" or "for glory" has a longer shoulder than the one in "Free For All"

The "A" in Anyone has equal thickness for both legs, whereas the "All" in "Free For All" has a thicker right leg.

The "i" in "With Anyone" has a circular dot, and the dot rises higher than the ascender height of the lowercase "t" in "With"
The real "i" also has a stem that stops shy of the stem of the "n" in online," whereas the height of the stems in the "i" and "n" in "Options" are equal in height.

The tail of the "t" in "With Anyone" is thicker than the vertical stroke, whereas in "Options," the T's tail is thinner than the vertical stroke.

The drop shadow behind the "e" is perfectly round in the "Anyone," but not so in "Free For All."

In short, the font used in the leaks has characteristics of Franklin Gothic that the font used in the real screenshot does not have.

Oh, and this is comparing to the original 2 photos.

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
I wonder, does this board like disproving rumors because they don't like the conditions in them, or they just don't think they're real?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I wonder, does this board like disproving rumors because they don't like the conditions in them, or they just don't think they're real?
Not real to be honest. I really care what is in a "leaked" photo, I just have fun trying to disprove them. It is sort of a Where's Waldo thing for me.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
You were having fun until you saw the Ridley pixel, then it got personal.
yeah it was but I like so much logic that I tend to be VERY upset when I'm arguing with someone that imo don't make any sense (that was before I knew what you could do with photoshop).

Edit: Seriously I got a legit warning by spamming on the ridley thread I was so upset.

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I think it's more just situational. We WANT to believe in leaks, but at the same time, we want to be mostly certain they're true. So we break things down to see whether they stand more true or false, and go based off that. No one likes false hope, but at the same time, we love it when something can't be disproven. *coughpalutenacough*

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
What "fun"? Watching people going crazy over a "leak"? The best thing this "leak" did was help kill many people's afternoons.
Eh, it's the most exciting thing that's happened on these forums since the Palutena leak at least.

plrichard

Smash Cadet
Obviously I just got here due to this leak, but people seemed much more willing to let it go after the terrible looking Ridley.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Yeah, I'm still holding out hope for Palutena, as well as that one dude who guessed Wii Fit Trainer. I haven't tried debunking those yet. =P

Obviously I just got here due to this leak, but people seemed much more willing to let it go after the terrible looking Ridley.
After seeing Ridley, I was even more motivated to disprove it. =P

Last edited:

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
And at least we had a reason to resurrect this thread after "The Mod Who's Name Escapes Me" locked it.

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
Jeez, I lose wifi for two hours and come back to see that everyone has decided the leak is fake. Sheesh. I don't really care whether the leak is real or not, but I'm surprised by everyone's passion to disprove it.

I'm sure that the font argument is a good one, but I don't really see it. I'm trying, but I just can't find any differences between the fonts shown in the image from the Direct and the fonts shown in the image from the leak. However, I'm sure that HextupleyooDOT is probably right about the minor changes and I'm just the only one who can't see them for whatever reason.

However, I would like to say that while I do not outright believe in this leak, I still have a feeling that the leak could be real (specifically the original two pics). I remember when the full Brawl roster was leaked, minus Wolf and Puff, and it just felt genuine, and it was. I get that same feeling from this leak. Maybe it's because I've played a lot of Bamco fighters and I get that Bamco vibe from these pictures, idk. I'm just not sure either way, but it just feels right to me. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom