• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Eager and Willing #2: The egg roll is awesome and i wanna know why so many disagree?

OK who needs combos, priority, or any skill at all when you can eggroll for the k.o.. Im OK with the KO at under 100% against the light characters like toon link or metaknight( though metaknight has such an easy time stopping the egg when not at high speeds) I could argue some bummed out argument that this move is definitely a top three in yoshi's inventory, since it cancels attacks, juggles opponents, and ko. i could argue but i know that someone out there already has stated what i know.

So here it is brawlers i just want to know why this move is usually tagged as trash by yoshi mainers and why does my noob mind think it is so useful?

I am only a casual player even though i have attended tournaments and placed in all, but i want to understand the separation between us casuals and the hardcore brawlers, and especially the
difference between my big rewards fighting style and most competives no mistake style.

Carouselambra

Smash Rookie
the biggest problem with the egg roll is that you can be grabbed out of it. as for defending against attacks, if you're good at it go for it. i use it a decent amount but only when i see the enemy as vulnerable and i can get to them before they recover. it also is amazing when they are at low percents cause they are easy to hit multiple times.

point is. even if other's don't use it, if you can use it effectively, do so.

i'm still working on making the neutral b effective and i highly doubt many competetive players use it.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
the biggest problem with the egg roll is that you can be grabbed out of it. as for defending against attacks, if you're good at it go for it. i use it a decent amount but only when i see the enemy as vulnerable and i can get to them before they recover. it also is amazing when they are at low percents cause they are easy to hit multiple times.

i'm still working on making the neutral b effective and i highly doubt many competetive players use it.
The egg roll is a great move if it's not grabbed. I'm new to Yoshi as well and I'm also finding it harder to get the egg roll off as my friends are getting aclimated to it. Like stated above it's best to use at times when the opponent is vulnerable and at a distance so they don't break it open with something weak at close range. A good damaging move when pulled off though.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
Why the egg roll isn't that great

1. The potential for suicide. I don't know why the devs decided Yoshi should go into free-fall if he exits the move in the air.

2. Easy to see coming so it's easy to dodge.

3. Too many characters have a counter to it. Anyone with a sword will hit you out of it. DK can downB you out of it. If they don't have a counter, they can either grab or dodge it entirely.

4. It doesn't kill until higher percentages (killing under 100%? I've never seen it do that...ever...)

5. You're open while turning around.

6. Useless for recovery and in fact will gimp your recovery if you try.

Why it's good

1. Cancels out a lot of projectiles and strong moves due to high priority

2. Blows through most of Olimar's ground moves.

3. Gives you an option to approach against some characters.

4. Can be used for some mindgames against some characters.

Grunge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J-wiggity
3DS FC
2938-8119-7719
Ducky said everything needed to be said..

Eddosan

Smash Cadet
I like using Egg Roll to just get closer to Zelda when I anticipate Din's Fire. If I get hit, it clings and Yoshi recovers instantly. If she misses, I hit her with Egg Roll. ^^

Egg Roll can be useful if you're anticipating a back roll, as you can hit them as they're recovering from it. It's also great on Wifi Anyone, since NOBODY knows what to do against it. The lag can cause you to fall off the edge though, so use with caution.

That said, I'm utterly disappointed that PK Fire always hits Yoshi out of Egg Roll. ;___;

TheFast

Smash Lord

i can use nuetral b very well against big characters suck as DDD, DK and Bowser and i can do it well on characters about the size of yoshi and up and its kind of useless on little characters but the thing is on big characters u can normaly lead it into an Uair but on medium if u try to run up to the egg u will get hit in return becuz they get out a little quicker for some reason (less bounce time coming out of it) and the only time i have ever seen it kill was against a Captain falcon enless u take the time to learn the pull distance with no egg. the only time i do that is by accident :(
hint on using it though, if u got out for a spike and they are about to catch you 1st enstead of runing away hit b and grab them i have found this to be one of the greatest uses for it

well ducky summed it up for me. Thanks everyone for the input.
This move still mystifies me though, it has been my favorite since ive touched yoshi even when it was the main reason for my losses. I realized at most this move can give me the upper hand in certain matches but very few. I guess when i go to some serious tourneys i will see if this move is even any use against some pros.

Meta Dude

Smash Rookie
lag free eggrolls (depster's thread) are great and should be used. i'm surprised how many good smash players have trouble with his eggroll online.

but yeah, don't get grabbed or they can place a well timed smash on you, never fun.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
lag free eggrolls (depster's thread) are great and should be used. i'm surprised how many good smash players have trouble with his eggroll online.
The online lag makes counterattacks or defensive maneuvers slow as hell coming out, often leading to you getting pounded when you should have blocked the attack.

Also, grabbing is by far the best universal counter but it only works if you grab Yoshi right before he's about to hit you. That's pretty hard to time when your controller input lags like hell.

S4k3

Smash Rookie
I find that one of the best ways to hit, and hit multiple times with the eggroll is to initiate it right above them and fall on em. If they don't hit you right away, in the air, they'll probably dodge it when you come down, then just keep moving the stick back and forth so that you pretty much stay in the same spot. It really screws with em, and after a few hits, they'll be knocked back, chase em and smoke them again.

Top Bottom