• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Easier way to do a JC grab?

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
I just noticed that you can cancel a running grab by pressing down instead of up/x/y.

Isn't this a safer way to JC grab, since it eliminates the risk of jumping. Especially for characters with quick jumps like Fox and Samus. Except Samus doesn't really benefit from it, hehe :p

Forgive me if anyone has posted this. On a sidenote, referring to ROM 5:

Don't want to start a huge discussion on that topic, but shouldn't there be some sort of referee overlooking all matches, or at least the finals? That way it would be certain that nobody would make mistakes related to the rules. Referee is an exaggerated term, but someone should be officially responsible that the match goes by the rules.

Again, sorry if anyone has said that.

Peace!

- Kikki

Edit: Just realized that you cannot cancel by pressing down until after the dash animation is done. Forgive me for being this stupid, but at least it's true if you're already running. And I guess it's pretty useful for characters with short dash animations.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well you will suffer from great DI if you get hit so I wouldn't do it. Personally I just press up+z to do this. I get automatic kinda good DI from it as well.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
Well you will suffer from great DI if you get hit so I wouldn't do it. Personally I just press up+z to do this. I get automatic kinda good DI from it as well.
True but down DI can be helpful at times. Also you might crouch cancel if you're doing it.
But ultimately using jump is propably the best idea.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
True but down DI can be helpful at times. Also you might crouch cancel if you're doing it.
But ultimately using jump is propably the best idea.
You cannot crouchcancel while you are JC grabbing.

Ken_Y`

Smash Lord
Just press X and Z at the same time
or Y and Z at the same time

that's what I do.

(technically you have to press X or Y at least 1 frame before Z, but you should be attempting to press them at the same time; that's the mindset you should use).
this

i dont do at the sametime tho

jus kinda press x before z.. its wierd

Bones0

Smash Legend
You cannot crouchcancel while you are JC grabbing.
That's not what he's talking about. He is talking about run cancelling with a crouch which does indeed CC up to the point where you begin the crouch. The reason you can't replace JCing with run cancelling is that you can't run cancel out of the initial dash animation. DD in place and try to crouch grab, and you'll still do a running grab. Run cancelling also takes longer than JCing, which activates on frame 1. There's also no risk in jumping, so idk what about that you think is risky. You are grabbing before you even leave the ground.

NNID
dansalvato
I think the other issue with this crouch-grab method is that it's slower. If you're holding down on the stick while you press Z, then you'll perform a dtilt. So, you have to push down and release the stick before grabbing, which takes an extra couple frames. The other thing is that crouching effectively cancels your run momentum, giving you a little less distance.

Overall, this technically works but I would still recommend getting JC grabbing down, as it's advantageous.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
you could use crouch grab to maybe buffer cc in case your grab whiffs

but you can do that for normal jc grabs already

just learn jc grab its sooo good

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
That's not what he's talking about. He is talking about run cancelling with a crouch which does indeed CC up to the point where you begin the crouch. The reason you can't replace JCing with run cancelling is that you can't run cancel out of the initial dash animation. DD in place and try to crouch grab, and you'll still do a running grab. Run cancelling also takes longer than JCing, which activates on frame 1. There's also no risk in jumping, so idk what about that you think is risky. You are grabbing before you even leave the ground.
I was referring to if you mess up the JC and do an aerial instead. But reading all of these replies really makes sense now. I always go for the JC, but while I was fooling around with marth and doing alot of running fsmashes/dtilts it just occured to me. :p

Bones0

Smash Legend
Is every char's JC timing the same? Ive not noticed
No, not necessarily. All characters have an equally fast JC in the sense that your character will go into jumpsquat on frame 1 after pressing jump, but some characters' jumpsquat animations last longer than others, meaning some JC methods are easier than others.

For instance, Bowser spends 8 frames in jumpsquat, meaning it is very easy to time a grab or usmash out of the JC. Fox only spends 3 frames in jumpsquat, meaning you have a smaller window to press grab/usmash before you leave the ground. The frame data for other characters' jump squat is below, but M2K included the first airborne frame as part of a character's jumping speed, so if you want to know how many frames of jumpsquat a character has, just subtract 1.

Mew2King's "SSBM Statistics List" said:
4 frames - Fox / Ice Climbers / Kirby / Pichu / Pikachu / Samus / Sheik

5 frames - Captain Falcon / Dr. Mario / Luigi / Mario / Marth / Mr. Game & Watch / Ness / Young Link

6 frames - DK / Falco / Jigglypuff / Mewtwo / Peach / Roy / Yoshi

7 frames - Ganondorf / Link / Zelda

-

9 frames - Bowser
REFERENCE (CTRL+F "Jumping Speed")

For the most part, this won't matter. You almost always want to grab/usmash asap, and it is certainly feasible to JC consistently no matter what character you use.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
absolutely cannot believe that it took 3-4 hours for someone to mention that you can't crouch out of the initial dash

unbelievable

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Another method you could use is to shield out of dash and grab with A. It's good to learn to use shield out of dash

JC Grabbing is the best option though. I suck at it myself and I've been playing for years

You options are:

x + z

y + z

up + z

x + L/R+A

y+ L/R+A

up+ L/R+A

Pick the one that you can do the fastest and feels most comfortable

It's me Q

Smash Apprentice
No, not necessarily. All characters have an equally fast JC in the sense that your character will go into jumpsquat on frame 1 after pressing jump, but some characters' jumpsquat animations last longer than others, meaning some JC methods are easier than others.

For instance, Bowser spends 8 frames in jumpsquat, meaning it is very easy to time a grab or usmash out of the JC. Fox only spends 3 frames in jumpsquat, meaning you have a smaller window to press grab/usmash before you leave the ground. The frame data for other characters' jump squat is below, but M2K included the first airborne frame as part of a character's jumping speed, so if you want to know how many frames of jumpsquat a character has, just subtract 1.

REFERENCE (CTRL+F "Jumping Speed")

For the most part, this won't matter. You almost always want to grab/usmash asap, and it is certainly feasible to JC consistently no matter what character you use.
Interesting, thanks

Top Bottom