• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

East Midlands Social Thread

K.Mac

Smash Lord
brawls poor but if I need to i can toss in a few hours practice and take Em down. im just thinking its about time u guys stuck your necks out and made it to a real tournaments. a mans tournament. getting 20th at coeys event is better than 2nd at any of your own events ( i only say 2nd not 1st cos i know ant turns up)

ps not everyones in london
My bad.

Like I said... I lack moneys. Getting to Yen's place on a monthly basis is a pain in the neck for me.

I also suck quite badly at Melee (I main Yoshi go figure xD)... unless I go against Fox/Falco, whereas I can just crouch-cancel d-tilt gimp them (hint - calzum ^^)

i did play there that was an exeption

i sd 4 times in 2 matchs vs KYLE
:laugh:

edit

Kone, you don't realise that EM has the (probably...) best Brawl player in the UK (and maybe Europe) ... we have Calzorz. :D Nobody can beat him.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Not at all, ff4 was such an immense game for it's time. correct me if i'm wrong but its amongst, if not the 1 final fantasy with the most remakes (ps1, gba, ds) whereas i believe others from that era were only remade for ps1 and gba. Plus it has it's sequal 'The after years' (anyone know if that's on wii ware yet?)

I realise the amount of remakes doesn't testify to the greatness of the game, but i just think ff4 had something extra special about itself that lifted it above others. ff8 has the bigger storyline, also has a lot of features i love (it is close behind ff4 in my list of best ff afterall) such as limits and the junctioning system.

when i say ff4>ff8 its kinda like saying 10,000,001>10,000,000. theyre both epic and theres basicly nothing in it, just about preference

(but at least 4 doesnt have that stupid long cut scene where everyone realised theyve met before on that basketball court. that took the mick)
no but you have the stupid long tellah's post-meteor crying scene, the LONG GOLBEZ FLASHBACK, and that dumb cutscene right after the moon where you find out that everyone is magically OK.

Then there's stuff like how much time they had to stop kain taking that last crystal or that stupidly slow golbez's hand scene was when he grabbed the crystal, are you telling me no one could have stopped him then? lol

Also I dont think nostalgia is really a good reason lol as far as facts go I dont think you can say ff4 is better, unless you count the ff4ds remake which actually had mild difficulty.

K.Mac

Smash Lord
true:laugh:
IMO we got the worst melee in the UK but best brawl
I'm ranked 5th in EM at Melee, what does that say? :dizzy:
xD

We have a **** Brawl crew though... Kone just has to visit us some time and see that, instead of trying to make us all go to Coey's place. ;) Smash isn't just about tournaments, it's about having fun as well... I like that aspect of fun in my ranbats. :D

Kone

Smash Master
Kmac - i think youll find that if you ask around im very much the promoter of having fun at tournaments, its one of the reasons i go. My point was to try get you guys to go to a national tournament, not just a ranbat. There bigger events, with more people and therefore are more social. Housing is always provided and its the best way to learn from others/ get better at smash and enjoy the company of new faces.

Ima too good to have to go to your place ;).

K.Mac

Smash Lord
Kmac - i think youll find that if you ask around im very much the promoter of having fun at tournaments, its one of the reasons i go. My point was to try get you guys to go to a national tournament, not just a ranbat. There bigger events, with more people and therefore are more social. Housing is always provided and its the best way to learn from others/ get better at smash and enjoy the company of new faces.

Ima too good to have to go to your place ;).
No, you just don't want to get ***** by Calz. ;)

I'm gonna stop joking for a moment - I do plan in the future on trying to attend more regional ranbats and tournaments, as I get better at Smash - for now I'm sticking to the most local ranbat/meetups I can get to mostly because of monetary issues.
I do plan at some point to start attending the Manchester Gamerbase tournaments and hopefully some London meetups though, and if Bolton isn't a particularly difficult place to get to from where I live (huzzah for scuntthorpe... -.-) then you might begin to see me there regularly. I do like playing new people and I do understand that playing better people helps me to improve.

I didn't mean to sound like I was saying the Bolton national tournament is pointless or that nobody there has fun. If I did then I apologise.

And... just as you want us EM smashers to come to your tournaments, equally you should come along to ours, even if they are only general local meetups and not anything major - like you said, it helps to meet new people and could potentially get a few of us persuaded to come along to your tournaments. ;)

I just wish I was better at Melee, because I find it more fun than Brawl at most points. My L-cancelling is god-awful. xD

I should be a smash debater for this post. Jeez. o_o

Jolteon

there is a difference though, the bolton tournament is actually a national tournament. this is just a ranbat/fest and it's not like you have the same amount of people as london attending, it's nothing compared to a tournament. It's not like he's saying "come to our monthlies"

Kone

Smash Master
The notion is that there are regions i.e. EM, NW, London etc that have regular meetups in terms of playing their local competition. National ones roll around every 6 months (can be more frequent tho). Im just pointing out that they should be earmarked by new players as yourselves as important dates to make. Its nice to see such a healthy community going on and be nice to get it involved into the larger community :)

Also, im not running the bolton tournament. I have however ran the most UK national tourneys (tho not ranbats) and have had significant inputs into the UK community over the last 6 years (tho not so recently).

Ive done enough not to have to go to small get togethers. Also, just dont have the time anymore :( . Downside of getting older :(

The_Rake

Smash Lord
no but you have the stupid long tellah's post-meteor crying scene, the LONG GOLBEZ FLASHBACK, and that dumb cutscene right after the moon where you find out that everyone is magically OK.

Then there's stuff like how much time they had to stop kain taking that last crystal or that stupidly slow golbez's hand scene was when he grabbed the crystal, are you telling me no one could have stopped him then? lol

Also I dont think nostalgia is really a good reason lol as far as facts go I dont think you can say ff4 is better, unless you count the ff4ds remake which actually had mild difficulty.
the tellah scene isn't that long at all, neither is golbez's flashback, theyre nothing compared to half the stuff from later final fantasys (except for the added cutscenes from the ds remake)

there are some stupid parts i agree, i think its ridiculous that over half the cast appeared to commit suiceide, then you find out only 1 of them actually did it.

Don't get me wrong though, as i said before, i love 8, was my first final fantasy and for a long time my favourite, i just prefer 4 now.

Jolteon

the tellah scene isn't that long at all, neither is golbez's flashback, theyre nothing compared to half the stuff from later final fantasys (except for the added cutscenes from the ds remake)

there are some stupid parts i agree, i think its ridiculous that over half the cast appeared to commit suiceide, then you find out only 1 of them actually did it.

Don't get me wrong though, as i said before, i love 8, was my first final fantasy and for a long time my favourite, i just prefer 4 now.
suppose I should have clarified I meant the golbez cutscene from the ds remake >_>

Almas

Smash Lord
Atm yes
but every fest almas is getting better and better:)
I'd like to point out that I ranked higher than Yens last fest. Clearly it was because of my superior skill and mindgames.

I have a pink colour name but I'm not allowed to show it because of moderator rules =*(.

Almas

Smash Lord
Peach. I've been recommended learning Sheik, so I dabble with her, and I enjoy playing Fox a lot but he's not really a character I have an interest in for serious play.

If DK were viable against anyone other than Falco/Fox/Falcon I'd play him. I like Samus, but that's because of Phanna - she's the kind of character you'd have to main and practice a lot to be awesome as.

I'm probably going to come to the next London event unless something happens specifically stopping me from doing it. Whether or not I come to the next EM one is still up in the air. I'm in the middle of exams, but I'm also quite confident about them (on one of them it is likely that I will have to score 50% to get an A overall). It depends if I think I deserve a day of rest at the time. Although I tend to be able to work well while I'm travelling.

Tamoo

Smash Master
Cool Almas, if ur up for it, i wanna get in a load of mms so if u wanna mm my zelda, even if its for small stakes, go for it, i just wanna get matches in with loads of different ppl this tournament

And yeniths, which other of my characters do u wanna mm apart from zelda?
I use marth, jiggs, fox, doc and peach btw

K.Mac

Smash Lord
ALMAS YOU MUST COME TO THE NEXT EM FEST.

You are awesome.

If you do, I'll MM you on Brawl >_> (seriously)

@ Kone - ah, I see. Well, that sucks. :/ anyway thanks for the advice. You've jilted my brain into thinking about trying to come to the Bolton tournament (even if I am destined to get knocked out first round... but that happens a lot to me so it won't matter too much lol).

@ Willz - I forgot to respond to what you said about the Dazzle. x_X WTF is the difference between PAL 60Hz and NTSC 60Hz? **** Americans and their sub-par televisions.. >_>
I need something that I can use to record in 60Hz... something that I can just setup and leave running so I can record matches of Melee and Brawl without having to rely on the 3-minute replay-save thing. :/

Yeniths

East Midlands!
Cool Almas, if ur up for it, i wanna get in a load of mms so if u wanna mm my zelda, even if its for small stakes, go for it, i just wanna get matches in with loads of different ppl this tournament

And yeniths, which other of my characters do u wanna mm apart from zelda?
I use marth, jiggs, fox, doc and peach btw
I'll be up for MM vs you Marth, Fox and Doc...Maybe Peach and Jiggs to but ill see on the day:), i want as many MMs as possible lol.

Kais3000

Smash Cadet
I feel honoured to be a part of Almas's crew :p. Not playing Brawl/Melee for ages and then going to a fest does sound like fun. I'm in provided Phear is down with driving me, Almas and maybe Halo to this.

Tamoo

Smash Master
I'll be up for MM vs you Marth, Fox and Doc...Maybe Peach and Jiggs to but ill see on the day:), i want as many MMs as possible lol.
Sounds like a good set, shall we make each mm for a £1 like our zelda one? or dyou wanna reduce the stakes, im all up for £1 each lol, im only doing this for the experience anyways, winning money is just a bonus :p

The_Rake

Smash Lord
suppose I should have clarified I meant the golbez cutscene from the ds remake >_>
i kinda thought you were, i couldnt remember a golbez flashback in any other
ff4 ds has annoyed me though, i wanna get adamant armor before i beat zeromus the first time but i havnt got it ye and i have optimum conditions.

Tamoo

Smash Master
Ooh man, there's like £4 in this money match, should be good

And judging by my awesome list of money matches, im either gonna be rich after this tournament or very much in the red lol, looks like £11 is up for grabs, may go home with a profit

should be awesome hehe.

Edit: why dont sigs show up anymore :confused:
oh yeah, stupid word limits >.<

Jolteon

i kinda thought you were, i couldnt remember a golbez flashback in any other
ff4 ds has annoyed me though, i wanna get adamant armor before i beat zeromus the first time but i havnt got it ye and i have optimum conditions.
hehe just do it on your third game, doesnt really matter when you do it. x_x

I like it and all but mucking up augments pisses me off, I reset twice because of it. >< The second was because I didn't realise how godly ????'s love was and just used it to max stats on someone without Limit Break. Also the difficulty was good I think in the sense that people don't tank tons of hits, but when you got dualcast rosa it got really easy :x

The_Rake

Smash Lord
hehe just do it on your third game, doesnt really matter when you do it. x_x

I like it and all but mucking up augments pisses me off, I reset twice because of it. >< The second was because I didn't realise how godly ????'s love was and just used it to max stats on someone without Limit Break. Also the difficulty was good I think in the sense that people don't tank tons of hits, but when you got dualcast rosa it got really easy :x
i already have a lot of sirens and treasure hunter so i wanna get 1 now, dont care about gettin loads, just 1 or 2 will suffice

???? love is only immense if you do the whole wifi battle thing which i cant be bothered to do

maxing stats im saving for the 3rd play though, i made a huge mistake of not getting dual cast, i mixed it up with twin cast lol, epic fail

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
You guys still on about FF?

Chrono Trigger & Golden Sun >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FF.
END.

OldGeezer666

Smash Journeyman
Every one of them as great as the last
X-1 and X-2 where shocking imo i hated them

EDIT: in fact i just found the disk to X-2 while typing this strange aye.
im gunna have to play it now since i found the disk
if only i could find tekken 5=[

will i cant believe i still haven't played golden sun yet you speek so highly of it...
i gotta buy it one day

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
Okay I've decided on the price for the fest with Yen and we agreed that it will cost you £4 per tournament (£8 in total) and it will include FREE FOOD AND DRINKS and everyone who came to my last fest knows how amazing the pizza I do for you guys. If anyone has a problem with the price don't come. Everyone will have to pay upon entering my house to avoid wasting time running around. So decide what games you're participating in asap please so I can sort the brackets out and we can get straight to the tournaments and get them over with.

Okay can everyone decide what side tournament they want as well? I will do a side tournament of either low-tier Brawl, low-tier Melee, Doubles Brawl or Doubles Melee. It will most likely cost £1 to enter. But decide which tournament you guys want!

Edit: I'll do a tally =]
Brawl Low-Tier: 4 (Willz, Trio3, Gadokan, Yeniths)
Melee Low-Tier:
Brawl Doubles: 1 (Calzorz)
Melee Doubles:
Brawl Low-Tier Doubles: 1 (Kais)
Melee Low-Tier Doubles:

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Final Fantasy's are ok, i gotta say 3 and 4 are the best for DS lol.

Look up suikoden, its 1000000000000000 times better than Final Fantasy.

Top Bottom