• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Eastern Washington Bi-Weeklies! ~Next Tourney~ [11/17/07]

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Casey, I beat Vampire. Here's my assessment.
Pretty good. Had a story with a fair amount variety, and open ended routes. Good development for stats. Likable characters. Nostalgic Fallout-like dialog choices. I liked the novelty of typing on a computer inside of a game, even though the hacking part could have been more interesting. City design was good, up until Hollywood and Chinatown. Santa Monica had a simple elegance to it that worked great for introducing the player to the game, while Downtown just felt big, like anything could happen. Hollywood was just a bunch of stuff crammed together, with most buildings not having much of a point at all, and Chinatown was just tiny, with nothing to do there, except the main plot story.
Not a solid game, even with the best patches it's still flawed. It is obvious it was rushed, as some parts of the game are just so painfully boring and repetitive, and certain areas are just plain broken. Once an elevator just wouldn't work anymore, so luckily there were vents in the building, and another time there was a barrier in front of a door that just wouldn't move (I looked it up, it's a common bug), so I had to use noclip to get by.

There also is a serious lack of variety in enemies, weapons, and maybe it could've used a longer main story plot. Subquests were fun, but after a while, I felt like I was just running circles, do this, do that, go in this creepy building, da da da, etc. I'm pretty sure I beat them all, or at least, all those that were available through my class/dialog choices. On a final note, playing through as a melee character, this game was way too easy, most bosses died within 5 minutes. One took me a half hour, the one chick in Chinatown. I spent more time just running from A to B in sidequests than I did in boss fights.

I'm confused what to rate it. Since I spent some time writing this, I'll just steal IGN's method of rating.

Presentation: 7.5. The look of the vampires, the detailed faces, the monsters, all cool. At times some of the levels were just bland.
Graphics: 7.0. Hard to say with this one, I don't remember what else game out in 2004 that I can compare this game to. Half Life 2 looked better, but V:tM is using the Source engine. How is that possible?
Sound: 7.5. Repetitive, but ood the first 8 hours. The creepy house song did creepy me outty though.
Gameplay: 8.5 Combat was fun, stealth made the game a little too easy (able to kill a guy while another guy is staring directly at that guy with 0 dexterity). It was fun just running through the world, and the story was good.
Lasting Appeal: 8.0. I'm sure there's plenty of different ways to play through this game, but some parts of the game were just so frustrating, I don't want to right now.
Overall: 8.0. Worth my time. Maybe took 20 hours. Made me think a lot about how games should be made.

artifice

Smash Ace
Anyone for smash today? =x

adam...mm.... I think you critic is a little harsh =p but i know that a lot of things in vampire I liked probably just suited me more than most people. Uh, But i didn't find the game frustrating or tedious at all, cant think back a single time that is was, partly because yes it was a little too easy, but oh well.

more length would of been good, but since its one of my fav. games ever, no matter how long it was I would of liked more. more wepons, woulda been good. and the game was a little rushed, and there were a couple bugs, but considering the company was no longer together to make a patch, and the realease date itself was a little rushed, **** happens.

It realy emeresed me into the world like no other game has, and i found it entertaining and different +fun = like a 9.5 or beter in my book, even with a glitch or two.

uhhh

smash today?

oh yeah ash, i didnt know tell after the aoe game that adam had attacked you as well, sory bout that =p

Kamaji

Smash Ace
I'm up for smash today... My house or somewhere else in spokane works. I dont really want to drive all the way out to cheney, but i guess i could just drive to casey's place and ride with him to cheney if we wanna smash out there.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
adam no smash in spokane.
new rule.
but if we did it in cheney it can be topped off with some aoe3.

casey: maybe i was rather harsh on the frustrating part, as that was only in a couple spots.
one was in the sewers, that felt like it went on way too long. had to go to the mansion, kill some of those guys, kill that one guy, kill some more of those guys from before, 1 hour later, mission over.
there was also a really annoying part in the final mission at china town, with the traps with the guys shooting fire bolts at you.. guh. that boss was awesome though.

oh, and the final boss was a huge let down. HUGE. but the ending was great, and funny.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
casey, nick, ash, you all should get defcon.
it's only 60mb. we can play via internets. pm me for link to file.

artifice

Smash Ace
pm it to me or post it o.0

I looked it up on wikipedia, looks okay, Was made from the same people who made uplink, which was a fun game. I can proly play at work tonight, I start work at 10, also adam give me your msn if your going to be on tonight.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
im on a journey, man.

hey, if anyone would like, we've set up a show at the empyrean this thursday. ya'll should come, 5 bands for 4 dollars is a good deal, there'll be lots of good music, too.

artifice

Smash Ace
shane, can the car with deva, me, and everyone else in it get housing from you plezies?
chip you should see who else is available for housing in the western thread. im pridy sure eggz was adament about capping the people at his house at 14.

sorry adam just doing other stuff tonight, ;x

nick I have a spot in your car right for the dan? =p

Kamaji

Smash Ace
uhm... I have 1 extra spot for the dan after dj pat and carl, and arti already reserved it.

5 band for 4 bucks, huh? does that mean your band is free? :p

Ashtten

Smash Journeyman
Well people why don't we clear up who is going with who?

In my car we will be taking Deva, Brendan, Me, and Brianna. There is one more though it would be kinda cramped... also we have trunk space so do not worry about carrying you stuff in the car.

Top Bottom