• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge-Guarding Tier List?

Nygma

Smash Cadet
Doc King-No offense dude but you know nothing about this game if you put Marth at like 11th or whatever.

Stop posting for a while and read up.

gm jack

Smash Lord
Marth Fsmashing anyone missing the sweet spot on the recovery and edge hogging makes life hell for a lot of recoveries as it is, let alone his offstage game.

Geist

Smash Master
Doc King, I know you're trying to help and all (I'll give you the benifit of the doubt anyways), and that's fine and dandy.
But please realize that false speculations and wrong information is actually more detrimental than no input at all. It's cool that you want to get your voice heard and help out, but do yourself a favor and help yourself first by making sure you actually know what you're talking about.

Just lurk around and read old threads in character forums if you have to.

h!tboxexplo!ter

Smash Ace
Assuming this is edgeguarding involving characters with med+ damage far off the stage (I feel marth is the most dangerous for low % edge game)
1) puff - go can so far out for hits its not even funny, rest is cruel for laggy recoveries, and can stay on everyones trajectory
2) marth- can f up everyones recovery except puff and sometimes sheik (maybe m2 too), decent edgegame, spike range is just a straight death zone, dtilt is QQ vs low recoveries, swords priority just plain ignores any recovery priotity I can think of, he's not even on the stage when he fsmashes at the edge
3) peach- can float off stage vs some of the worse recovery and ruin their day, float is good for mindgames that cause bad time recoveries, turnips can **** manyyy characters, dair>nair at the ledge I feel is only a little worse than what marth can do with fsmash, super disjointed bair, on a minor note fsmash can people off guard ( they hit under the ledge) even if they are weak
4) sheik - bair alone gives her an edge then u add how far she can leave the edge amd still come back with her up b, needles terrirape some recoveries (looking at u spacies and samus), dsmash is kind of bad vs other options honestly but eh guess it can count on a tier list, fair is fast and hits at a good trajectory, nair is goooood no matter how its done, uair is ok too I guess but situational

Then a drop
Sorry falco I sorta thing ur edguard game isn't as solid as others. There are lasers and his spike but its honetly not that hard to come back because a) he can't go far out and b) can send out attacks nearly quick enough for some characters
Fox is closer but I feel there are several recoveries that slip past him but not top 4

Comrade

Smash Journeyman
People forgot that the tipman can end practically anything.
marth
ganon
everyone else

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
Doc King Does Not Know Anything

OK, I made up this list and looked at the characters gimping options. I just want to see if you guys agree with this list or not or if I should make changes to it.

1. Ganon
2. Sheik
3. Pika
4. Puff
5. Mewtwo
6. Fox
7. Yoshi
8. Doc
9. Mario
10. Peach
11. Marf
12. Pichu

High
13. Kirby
14. Y. Link
15. Link
16. Falcon
17. Falco
18. Roy

Middle
19. Bowser
20. Luigi
21. Samus
22. Ice Climbers
23. Ness

Low
24. Mr. G&W
25. DK
26. Zelda
So, I heard from some friends you didin't know anything about the game. Thanks for confirming that doubt. Oh I see you play brawl, makes more sense.

Ganon at top? Fox at 6th.? Math at 11th? Samus at 21? Pikachu above Puff? Are you sure this isn't the tier list for brawl? Even if it is I think you fail horribly at that too.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
G&W has great edge gaurd really like i've said most people have good solid answers to most non-broken recoverys (peach/puff/ maybe m2).

Really only a a few terrible(edge gaurd) charcters stuggle. However I don't main like DK so hard to say he has bad edge gaurd up-B, tilts and bair doesn't seem that solid but it should take care of recoveries.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Peach above Fox and Falco is insane.

There are a lot of recoveries where Peach has some real problems actually killing them and she sucks at transitioning from the edge to the stage. She also cannot take advantage of an invincible ledgehop and has no height so to speak so going offstage vs high recoveries often takes a huge prediction on her part, which then empowers low recoveries to some degree because they gain some value as a mixup.

Fox and Falco definitely beat their own recoveries harder than Peach does. Same with Marth. Sheik too, unless Peach has a stitch or bob-omb. They combo Sheik better at low percents and have better edgeguard loops at high percents.

Falcon is DEFINITELY worse off against the space animals than Peach during recovery. They have better onstage loops, better mobility to catch him before he can edgecancel, Falco's projectile ***** down+B attempts about as hard as turnips if not harder because he can shoot them higher and get Falcon during the startup immediately, and they can both go out pretty freely and Bair him through his Up+B. Plus Fox's Shine, Falco's spike, how you can't tech Fox's Shine... Peach doesn't have anything as good as that vs Falcon. She's still fine vs his recovery but space animals destroy it.

Peach's recovery is similarly better vs herself than it is against space animals because she sucks at jumping high whereas space animals don't. They also have spike moves or semi-spike moves that can instant-death her offstage or put her in a horrible position whereas if Peach hits a Nair or whatever it sends up. Unless Peach pulls a stitch or bob-omb the space animals edgeguard her better than she edgeguards herself.

Space animals edgeguard Puff better because they can abuse ledge invincibility and because of their (Shine) spikes but they suck at edgeguarding Puff just like everyone else.

Out of the top 6 characters space animals edgeguard all of them better than Peach.

unknown522

Some guy
sheik
marth
fox
falco
doc
oooh. So close.

OK, I made up this list and looked at the characters gimping options. I just want to see if you guys agree with this list or not or if I should make changes to it.

1. Ganon
2. Sheik
3. Pika
4. Puff
5. Mewtwo
6. Fox
7. Yoshi
8. Doc
9. Mario
10. Peach
11. Marf
12. Pichu

High
13. Kirby
14. Y. Link
15. Link
16. Falcon
17. Falco
18. Roy

Middle
19. Bowser
20. Luigi
21. Samus
22. Ice Climbers
23. Ness

Low
24. Mr. G&W
25. DK
26. Zelda
lol

Geist

Smash Master
imo gimping ties right into it.
I see gimping as just more effective edgeguarding. I mean if there was a character that had the ability to hit someone from anywhere off-stage, but the trajectory hit them towards the stage, then it isn't good edgeguarding.
Probably a bad analogy but you get the picture.

RuKeN

Smash Journeyman
S Tier (90-10)
Yoshi
Edit: Ness

Top Tier(70/60 - 30/40)
Pichu
Doc

No ranking(0 - 100 this players can't edge-guard)
Jiggs
Marth
Sheik
Falco
Fox

VA

Smash Hero
I think marth is the best. I think he copes with ease in the most diverse range of match ups. But I'm dumb.

Also, edgegaurding spaceis with marth is lol fun.

gm jack

Smash Lord
Not so sure on Marth being top because it can take him a while to recover back to the edge if he misses, which can allow some characters a chance to recover. Sheik can get back to the ledge so quickly it's just plain stupid.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
hmm been thinking.
YLink and Link have pretty good edge games. arrows and bombs and stuff. theyd be near the top. mid-top or something. also puff has a slightly easier time than marth i'd say. but those two are the best by far.

VA

Smash Hero
Not so sure on Marth being top because it can take him a while to recover back to the edge if he misses, which can allow some characters a chance to recover. Sheik can get back to the ledge so quickly it's just plain stupid.
lol, what? since when do all of marths edge guards rely on him having to recover?

the reason I think marth is so good is that by standing on stage he covers such a hideous range of options.

VA

Smash Hero
lol, screwy list.

mine is

Marth

Sheik

Fox
Falco
Puff

Everyone else I don't care

/edit I didn't read armada's post until after I made mine. I did not copy him by saying everyone else I don't care, it's how I felt :p

Doc King

Smash Lord
The best edge guarder either has to be Sheik, Puff, Fox, Doc, Ganon, or Peach. I think one of my improvements I can put on my list is higher G&W to middle or something and put Samus in low tier.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Lack of Bowser in this thread makes me sad.

Fox, Falco and CF are all super easy edgeguards. Quite frankly, what /doesn't/ work?
Sheik is pretty easy. Ledgehop koopaclaw is pretty silly.
Marth isn't easy, but definetely very doable.
Can't do much against Peach
Can't do much against Jigglypuff (But who can?)

Bowser can edgeguard top tiers pretty well, and only a couple of the lower tiers cause any difficulty. While he's not the best edgeguarder, Bowser getting only one mention, and being listed as 19th is pretty silly.

Lack of SAMUS makes me sad

you have ****ing mario and G&W

but not Samus, who is probably one of the best edgeguarders in the game. Her metagame vs. top tiers pretty much revolves around edgeguarding lol

Vts

Smash Champion
IC have good edgeguarding but not as good as puff marth sheik fox falco

they don't have ledgehop sex kick or the same ability to fly out and **** people

sword is better than hammers

they have a lot of tricks for covering multiple options though; they beast vs a lot of low recoveries

and they punish sheik's poof really hard (not as hard as another sheik or puff though)
have u ever seen me edge guard anyone?

i go pretty far out nothing like the top but should be right under those top characters.

UltimateHaxor123

Smash Apprentice
marth is def the best. he has so many options its not funny. jump off stage-> fair, bair, reverse dolphin smash, dair(for the finish), sometimes uair (bounce), side b (falcomist), and he can edgeguard spacies with counter. Let's not forget about fsmash or dtilt, or jab, or ftilt.

jiggs is only inferior to marth because she HAS to go off the stage (most of the time) but its a close 2nd. 5jumps, 'nuff said

sheik's bair is...

i don't know why ppl keep putting spacies at the top. They really aren't that great. fox can shine and thats not always the best option and dsmash(which can be teched). Falco can dair and dsmash which can also be teched.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
^ You're not allowed an opinion anymore.

Space animals have much more than Shine / D-smash / Dair at their disposal and it disturbs me that you think they're that limited.

Top Bottom