• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgeguarding: Whether to chase off the stage or not

Repulse X

Smash Apprentice
WEll as everyone knows, edgeguarding is an important part of the game..

My question to you guys is, when is a generally good time to chase your opponent of the stage after you knock them off, and when is it good to stay on the stage and wait for them to come back?

Usually playing falco, if my opponent has like 40-70ish health then ill chase them off the stage more to finish with either the spike or bair...and if they have alot more health then ill just wait for them to come back and kill them there.

is there a general way to go about deciding this? or is it mostly preference?

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
i would have to say that its highly situational and character based. for example you would almost always chase with metaknight... but you might not be so inclined to as an Ike user.

Ants

Smash Cadet
if they are returning from a point thats higher than the stage itd be better to wait as they can air dodge and continue to go down if u try to go for them.

if they are returning from a point thats alligned with the stage or below then it mite be better to chase them off because if they use an air dodge at that time they will be slightly hindered as their character will continue to fall down for a little while.

tho u definitely would have to judge that with the characters being used....
ur characters abilities to edge guard vs. ur opponents abilities to recover...

Andrew Ott

Smash Journeyman
Edgeguarding is all about predicting and removing your opponent's options. Very situational.

One of the best edgeguards in Melee was the lightshield edgehog, which gave the opponent 2 options: Go for the edge and die, cause you'll get edgehogged, or land on the stage and be hit by a ledgehopped move. Good players got around this by hitting the lightshield with an aerial attack, and in the same way, the guarder would put his shield up as late as possible. It's a recurring cycle.

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
if you think you can hit them off the stage then go off stage...if you think you can't... stay on the stage...simple as that...but it seems your thinking too much from a melee perspective. If your opponent is at low percentage and is decent, he or she will probaly get back on the stage. Most KO's in brawl are just from high percentage.

P.S. I agree with these lines

"Edgeguarding is all about predicting and removing your opponent's options. Very situational"

and

"i would have to say that its highly situational and character based. "

Top Bottom