• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgeguarding with Peach.

Etherlight

Smash Apprentice
Any general edgeguarding tips I should know about Peach? I always seem to do the simple edeghogging but it doesn't always seem to work and I feel as though I can do something better.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
If you've still got your Float left, try floating from the edge and attacking them. Or you could not hold onto the edge and try and knock them down with a Down Smash when they're clinging on. Using Turnips can also gimp their recovery and knock them away from the edge

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
On paper, it looks like Peach is one of the best edge-guarders in the game. Through the simple use of the unique float mechanic, Peach can elegantly drift off the stage off to the side and meet a recovering opponent with a nice fair, nair, bair and even a dair/uair if they're damaged for a star KO.

Fair is a bit tricky to hit with, but as long as you haven't been abusing it - and it actually lands - it is VERY powerful and nice for some early KOs.

Once a damaged opponent is launched off the stage (and I'm hoping someone can tell me around what percentage), a nair or bair can be the safest bet for a kill. With the multiple hitboxes, the nair/bair provide pretty decent accuracy even against an air-dodging opponent. My personal favorite.

Though if you want to be a bit unpredictable, and you're confident in your control of Peach; once an opponent is high in damage you can try for a vertical kill through a dair to uair combo, dair alone if they're around Sudden Death damage, or the always fun dair to nair.

Besides the aerials, the turnips are also ridiculous in hampering foes. Specifically on Final Destination, though I don't know why it wouldn't work anywhere else, there is a mark Peach can stand and simply throw turnips over and over and over on a ledge-hogging opponent. If they're stupid enough to keep clinging to the side once the invincibility is over, you can easily nail them again and again without moving.

Z-dropping is also pretty effective, through it depends on which character recovery your trying to hit, and usually only works if you have the turnip already. Otherwise plucking another one loses you the chance to actually do something.

Etherlight

Smash Apprentice
Is there a float height that I should be in for float edgeguarding? I tried floating at stage level but it never seems to work, or do you have to float very far?

Would turnips work against those who focus their recovery on ledge-grabbers (going from below the ledge though)?

And how would you deal with them once they get back to the stage after a ledge?

yeah, bunch of questions but it'd be great if you could answe them.

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
I <3 Dair to Nair :) a good way to get a kill with the fair at early damage is to launch the other character with a bair or possibly a fsmash then follow them with the fair

@etherlight: space yourself so that you can hit them with turnips while they are hanging on the legde
and i dont think it would matter if they have a tether recovery they would probably still beable to grab the ledge. best way to deal with those characters it to grab the ledge yourself and prevent them from hooking on to it

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
To float at or close to stage level, you jump, and immediatly press down, while holding the jump button.

You could try spiking them of the stage at places like Final Destination, you have to use your down-tilt when they don't have invincibility frames. (Hard for me, I don't know about you though)

If they get back on the stage I do a full jump, float at the full jump level and do a fair. I love doing that. XD

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
On paper, it looks like Peach is one of the best edge-guarders in the game. Through the simple use of the unique float mechanic, Peach can elegantly drift off the stage off to the side and meet a recovering opponent with a nice fair, nair, bair and even a dair/uair if they're damaged for a star KO.

Fair is a bit tricky to hit with, but as long as you haven't been abusing it - and it actually lands - it is VERY powerful and nice for some early KOs.

Once a damaged opponent is launched off the stage (and I'm hoping someone can tell me around what percentage), a nair or bair can be the safest bet for a kill. With the multiple hitboxes, the nair/bair provide pretty decent accuracy even against an air-dodging opponent. My personal favorite.

Though if you want to be a bit unpredictable, and you're confident in your control of Peach; once an opponent is high in damage you can try for a vertical kill through a dair to uair combo, dair alone if they're around Sudden Death damage, or the always fun dair to nair.

Besides the aerials, the turnips are also ridiculous in hampering foes. Specifically on Final Destination, though I don't know why it wouldn't work anywhere else, there is a mark Peach can stand and simply throw turnips over and over and over on a ledge-hogging opponent. If they're stupid enough to keep clinging to the side once the invincibility is over, you can easily nail them again and again without moving.

Z-dropping is also pretty effective, through it depends on which character recovery your trying to hit, and usually only works if you have the turnip already. Otherwise plucking another one loses you the chance to actually do something.
Peach is a decent edgeguarder, but her vertical recovery is so bad that I'm afraid to float out and edgeguard anyone with a decent spike. However, Peach is IMHO indisputably the best edgeHOGGER in the game. Float against a ledge and release right before your opponent hits you and you win.

I've gotten the timing down so well I can gimp Falco's forward-B with it.

Excellence

Smash Champion
I believe the best edgeguard is to first pluck and toss two turnips into the air. Then you want to float so your feet are just inront of the edge. As your opponent tries to recover and gets near, kick the hell out of them! If they try and go over you, they get hit with Turnips and you can use Up Air or Neutral Air to send them back off the edge. Keep repeating. I'm new with Peach, it's my 3rd day using her, but that seems to work nicely.

Taldarin

Smash Cadet
Peach's edgeguarding is the bomb. Seriously, best in the game past jigglypuff. And I don't care what anyone says, turnips are so much better for edgeguarding than the float. Maybe if peach had an aerial meteor smash then I wouldn't say that, but since she doesn't... =P

Seriously, like... 80% of my kills with peach are turnip kills. Time that turnip well, and they either avoid it and get barely out of stage range and edge hogged by me, or they take the hit which bumps them out of stage range and they get edge hogged.

The Peach Bomber also totally rules for anyone that jumps high enough to get parallel with the stage after they get knocked off. I have a dang lot of off-the-edge peach bomb kills too lol.

Also, when they're actually ON the edge, I've found that jumping up while z-dropping in the process(when I think they're going to get up) catches them whether they decided to roll, attack, or jump to get back on the stage. And that typically gives me another opportunity to fair them off again.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I believe the best edgeguard is to first pluck and toss two turnips into the air. Then you want to float so your feet are just inront of the edge. As your opponent tries to recover and gets near, kick the hell out of them! If they try and go over you, they get hit with Turnips and you can use Up Air or Neutral Air to send them back off the edge. Keep repeating. I'm new with Peach, it's my 3rd day using her, but that seems to work nicely.

I think the *safest* edgeguard is to get at a certain angle over the ledge and Dair rapidly when your opponent is holding it. If he attacks, the attack goes under you and he gets daired. If he climbs, same thing. If he jumps, he jumps into the dair. If he rolls, back up and Bair.

However, this does DAMAGE to the opponent but doesn't keep them from getting back on the stage. But it's safe in that it's hard for them to punish you instead.

BurtonEarny

Smash Ace
honestly they couldnt justify giving her a meteor. Shed could float out and spike people... That would be gross. I like the peach bomber. The heavies excpet ike are easy to hit with it and except for dedede they die for sure after about forty percent when off the edge. lighter guys I dair and back air, but me likem sum fair too. you cant go wrong so long as you dont get yourself killed by running out of float too far away or getting hit yourself.

Villi

Smash Lord
Learn the limits of how far you can jump off the ledge and still recover. Peach can full hop off stage and off screen and still come back after a fair. Rising aerials with your double-jump help to keep you from falling during their long cool-downs, then you can just float ASAP by keeping your finger on jump. Just take lots of risks during friendlies; it's totally worth it.

MMurph27

Smash Rookie
I think a lot of this depends on the skill level of your opponent as well. If you feel safe that your opponent won't punish you if you go out for an FAir, then it can be a good tactic. If you think it would be to risky the above tactics are much safer even sometimes won't get you the KO quite as quick.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
has anyone tried to use footstool jumping for edgeguarding?
If you footstool someone it combos into neutral air which ledge spikes them. Trust me, every footstool on a character who has a good recovery should be followed with n-air. It's soooo good. (Otherwise just footstool and grab the ledge) I recently discovered this. I have NO idea why n-air can fit after footstool but it does.

D

Deleted member

run off the stage ff and instantly float, you should be ledge height, this allows you to edgehog if the time comes. after that i use the nair and fair to keep them away from the stage.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Anyone else just fastfall after running off the stage to meet an opponent with an nair? I really like it when I land it. Float instead of nair for mindgames. =D

White-Peach

Smash Ace
(turnip in hand) run off ledge>zdrop>fastfall>float>doublejump rising NAir to catch turnip (and DI back onto stage if you're close enough)

i guess you could glide toss the turnip or something after. The zdrop makes the turnip appear (and fall) in front of her body, and the NAir covers a large space. The combination makes for weird, moving hitboxes that you either go for or switch up depending on the other person's reaction (like letting the turnip drop for people trying to come up from directly underneath, while floating for timed instagrab.)

Its probably best used with someone who is trying to use a tether recovery and is trying to trick you out of invincibility frames, or to use to just add additional hitboxes (and movement) to your standard drop-from-the-ledge-and-float-NAir gimping.

Villi

Smash Lord
For turnip zoning, especially vs Luigis who like to recover low with their down b, I like to glide toss one turnip toward the edge, pluck another one and jump up toss it a teensy bit off the stage so that it'll fall on the person's head after their invincibility has worn off. For Luigis, it'll force them to adjust their spacing which gives you an advantage. For people with tether recoveries, it gives you a chance to gimp them if the turnip falls on their heads while they hang from their tether. For anybody else, it creates a bit of pressure for them to recover quickly because they can't stall in a normal fashion without getting bopped by a turnip.

Top Bottom