• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgehogers

PetaNybble

Smash Cadet
Definition of Cheating: Cheating can be to create an unfair advantage, usually in one's own interest, and often at the expense of others. The term cheating usually refers to the breaking of rules but not laws; activities that are actually illegal are usually referred to as corruption or fraud.

I don't see how edgehogging is under ANY of these parameters.

Lightshade

Smash Ace
Anyone saying that edgehogging is cheating clearly can't fight it, or know what it is, for that matter. They are just jealous of you. Just show them a video of Ken or Azen, hopefully they will understand and change their opinion of it.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
I think the only ppl who would ever complain about it can't do it themselves and are jealous. If anyone really believed that, they really should either stop playing smash or get used to it.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
Anyone saying that edgehogging is cheating clearly can't fight it, or know what it is, for that matter. They are just jealous of you. Just show them a video of Ken or Azen, hopefully they will understand and change their opinion of it.
I was about to post basically the exact same thing u just said, so i'll just second it. :) Darn it!!!!! I can't figure out why this thing keeps double posting!

V E X

Smash Rookie
Definition of Cheating: Cheating can be to create an unfair advantage, usually in one's own interest, and often at the expense of others. The term cheating usually refers to the breaking of rules but not laws; activities that are actually illegal are usually referred to as corruption or fraud.

I don't see how edgehogging is under ANY of these parameters.
EXACTLY, however people will always complain about it, when you knock them off the stage do you let them back? No, no you don't, and thats why they think edgehogging is cheap and/or cheating.

Marthpaladin

Smash Rookie
Edgehogging is part of edgeguarding, which is in the How to Play Video. It said that part of playing the game is to intercept your opponents recovery.

As it has been stated b4, a player is recieves points for doing it, so it was supossed to be part of the game.

What many people need to realize is that there is a difference between annoying and "overpowered/cheap."

Pariah

Smash Apprentice
I don't really see how edgehogging makes a difference, because if you're complaining, it means you've been knocked off the stage (when edgehogging starts), and you need to stop getting knocked off the stage, pretty much in my opinion.

taylorb9113

Smash Cadet
I think edgehogging and edgeguarding are perfectly fair. It's not hard to do, and I won't complain if they do it against me.

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
I don't really see how edgehogging makes a difference, because if you're complaining, it means you've been knocked off the stage (when edgehogging starts), and you need to stop getting knocked off the stage, pretty much in my opinion.
Exactly, it's that person's fault for getting knocked off the stage. It's then your duty to make sure that he doesn't get back to the stage.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I play against a guy that use to say that edgehogging is the gayest thing about smash. The more and more I did it to him, the more frustrated he got. He use to knock people off and go for anyone else on the board then come back if you got back on. Now, he does it all the time to everyone... I need to point that out to him in a match one day.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
When your friend tells you its cheap to edgehog... look them in the eye and tell them not to get smacked off the stage and you won't have to anyways :).

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
I hate edge-hogging. I think edge-hogging is the lazy way for people who can't edge-guard properly to get a KO, but.... since everyone else does it, I do it to.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
My view on edgehogging is pretty simple: Why not?

Give me a good reason not to edgehog. Don't tell me "it's cheap" or "it's for people who are too lazy to edgeguard properly" because that's a load of crap. While you're using that arguement, you may as well go on to say that bringing someone's damage above 100% is cheap and for people who are too lazy to make the effort to kill before that.

Secondly, as countless people in this thread have already pointed out, the game itself gives you bonus points for edgehogging. The same bonus points you get for landing a meteor, stringing attacks together or simply landing kills are also awarded for edgehogging. How can you possibly mistake edgehogging for something "cheap" or "lazy" if people are rewarded for doing it?

Finally, it's not like edgehogging is unbeatable. Sure, there are situations where there's no way around it, but there are also situations where theres no way around death to an fsmash, yet you don't see posts on these boards titled "fsmashes should be banned". Most characters in the game have good ways around edgehogging, from doublejumped aerials (Marth and Sheik's fairs) to moves that stall them in the air (PTPing and the shine) to plain not going for the edge.

Edgehogging is a legit and accepted part of the game. It gives no one character an advantage over another, since all characters can edgehog and get edgehogged (maybe not evenly. For example, Fox is more vulnerable to edgehogging then Pikachu, but characters all have advantages and disadvantages. Vulnerability to edgehogging is one of those variables. If you don't like getting edgehogged, play a character less vulnerable to it).

St. Viers

Smash Champion
But F-smashes are overpowered :p

I remember when my friend first did it to me. I thought it was cheap because he used Marth and I was never able to do it back to him (I never timed it so that He didn't hit me). Then I got over it and started b-airing the hell out of him as he flew off and tried to get back on.

Justin

Smash Apprentice
There is absolutely nothing wrong with edgehogging. I mix in edgeguarding and edgehogging so you never know which approach I'm going to take when it comes to keeping my opponent off the stage. I've said it once and I'll say it again. I do whatever it takes to win. I'd rather win with what some of "you" consider lazy or cheap than not do it at all and risk losing just so you will stop crying. If I get edgehogged...oh well. I come back on my next stock (if I have one) and continue the fight..I don't worry nor care about it. I'm surprised some of you don't just say, "****, why can't you let me get back on the stage? Are you afraid of me or something?". Seriously, I don't get why people whine about edgehogging because you know if it gave you a better and\or more secure chance to win the match, you'd edgehog in a heartbeat.

If you can't stand the heat...get out of the kitchen...or something lame like that.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
it really irritates me when people whine about edgehogging. it's not cheap at all-- it's a tactic. if you don't use it you are only hurting yourself. stop getting knocked off of the board if you are tired of it happening to you.

the_air_up_there7

Smash Ace
Laredo Texas (training mode), offseason :)
it really irritates me when people whine about edgehogging. it's not cheap at all-- it's a tactic. if you don't use it you are only hurting yourself. stop getting knocked off of the board if you are tired of it happening to you.

I ain't tired of this happening to me, cuze the ppl I play usaually never edgehog at all, why? because they say it's "cheap" and who the **** cares if it gives you extra points in the game. I don't think it's cheap and I use it. :) And yeah I hate when marth edgeguards with his stupid fsmash :mad: . Uh oh well :ohwell: .

Uck

Smash Journeyman
This thread really really makes me angry.You will never convince a person who sincerely believes in is own rhetoric.The last thing you want to do is be on the defensive because you will never logically change this type of mindset because its a ridicoulus mindset to begin with enspecially with a video game.

You need to go on the offensive and never ever agree with there viewpoint.Stay calm and laugh at them when you edgehog.If they say its cheap tell them to stop making excuses for losing and get better laugh again.In competition the only honorable thing to do is to be the best competion for your opponent and to shake hands after it.

The mindset no edgehogging is weird.I think it has something to do with relating the word cheap to cheating.Then again schools have been having competions with no scoring for awhile now maybe this is whats creating all of the sissys.Giving that im sure they are forcing the liberal hippy rhetoric on the kids.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
Haha you dont need to get crazy just say something like.Did you see that?You just got edgehogged sucka!

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Do you guys think grabbing the edge so the oppenent won't reach is unfair? why or why not? ppl complain about this whenever I go to tournaments or host one, or even friendly matches.
It's part of the game, and anyone who complains about it is a scrub, and will never improve at smash with their noob mindset. They should accept edgehogging as just another way of killing your opponent and get on with their lives. If it's in the game, and it follows tournament rules, it's fair.

Ronin686

Smash Ace
I hate edge-hogging. I think edge-hogging is the lazy way for people who can't edge-guard properly to get a KO, but.... since everyone else does it, I do it to.
Edge-hogging is part of edge-guarding.

Top Bottom