• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Eeek G&W is yoshis worst matchup.

D

Deleted member

Yes, worse than pika. His bair defeats all of your options, literally u dont have anything on that. Your bairs get beat, ur pivot grabs get beat since they dont have enough range to get him. Combined with massive priority, insane juggling and killing, and speed, u lose. Against pika, u have some options, and imo it isnt too bad of a matchup. I have honestly no idea of what to do, since yoshi doesn't seem to have the ability to do anything to G&W. The only thing i could surmise was be aggresive, it helped me get a little damage on. The problem is that his bair is both aggresive and defensive. Even if he does get hit, its hard to follow up on him. Any advice would be good, because i cant seem to see any openings for yoshi to take advantage of.

Nocher

Smash Rookie
hmm, have you tryed egging him while he expiriences that tinge of lag when he uses bair? also, bet thing i can think of is to keep on changing your strategey throughout, you may alienate him enough to make him slow down on the bairs. also, does yoshi bomb off the ground have enough distance to hit him on the downfall after you leap up from right out of his range? if so, that could be a decent idea for getting him in the air, where if he uses bair again u can just hit him from below, or if he uses dair, just hit him on the lag. that is all i can think of, and these answers are subjective(i don't know if they will work) thats all i have

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
The matchup is indeed in G&W's favor because Yoshi can't approach him from above in fear of his Trampoline and he can't chase him in the air in fear of the KEY!

The only plus is that G&W is light so you can get some quick kills to squeeze by.

tweaker_

Smash Rookie
Well, from my experiences playing against G&W I've picked out a few options for you to try:

1) don't be afraid of chasing him in the air, but just short hop first and wait for his dair before using your uair. usually when I delay this, I pretty much avoid his key everytime. it takes a bit of timing, especially over wifi but you can pull it off

2) dash grabs work pretty well from what I've seen. just be careful of his forward smash in case you miss.

3) abuse the egg bombs and dash attacks whenever you can. usually I tack on an extra 20-30% per stock because of eggs alone.

4) dtilt is useful after his dair landing lag, and I use this to set up ground to air combos

5) remember your air dodge, and just down b if you're afraid of his trampoline.

I'm not sure if all of these will work for you, since I haven't played enough G&Ws to be an expert at beating them, but these few things usually swing the game in my favor.

Sharky

Smash Master
On top of what's already been said, remember that yoshi's shield won't be poked through by GW's bair, unlike everyone else's.

Gindler

Smash Champion
What sharky said, although yoshi gets bashed for his shield it's the only one invincible to be shield stabbed from the dreaded turtle. So if you see the turtle coming shield and retaliate, simple as that. Also play as aggressive as you can, don't worry about the 9 hammer, the chances of that coming up are actually less than 1/9 so just fight you're heart out and be sure to Nair effectively (i've killed at high 90s low 100s with that vs G&W's)

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: If I have been playing this matchup correctly, up air should outrange the key.

I could be wrong, though.

Also, pivot grabbing is no here. Don't waste your time trying to pivot. Just dash grab.

On that note, don't get grabbed. It's not fun.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
funny, I just lost to a tough game and watch at a tourn too =/

~uair cancels out the key after its already out and coming down.

other than that, I have nothing.. I could only get a kill off of him =/ shame shame shame..
guy took second though so I am not too angry ;p.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
:yoshi: If I have been playing this matchup correctly, up air should outrange the key.
It doesn't, not unless you manage to time the Uair to hit him on the side, but that's very risky because he can use DI as he falls too. It's just not in your favor unless you know your opponent well enough.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
LOL, the Yoshi forums are noticing G&W's godliness. Mind you, G&W is definitely top tier material.

I main G&W. Anyhow don't bother shielding his B-air because it'll just destroy your shield, and I don't think it has enough lag for him to be reliably grabbed (I dunno, can you D-tilt him from a shield?). Trust me here, G&W's B-air breaks shields, and it's not fun to deal with if you're on the receiving end. If you shield an N-air (which has uber priority), he may go for a Footstool Jump and D-air you (unblockable), so try to stay away from him in general. The key to doing anything to him is waiting for his aerial attacks to end and punishing him. If I were Yoshi, I'd toss Eggs at him just to keep him distracted since he can't absorb those.

And recover as high as possible. Because Bacon can get really lame on your recovery. Yoshi's recovery is probably one of few G&W can reliably gimp with Bacon. However if you get D-smashed (nonsweetspot mind you), you're probably screwed.

Learn to tech the D-throw because he can D-smash you from it if you don't.

@someone who mentioned it: You have a 1/7 chance of getting a 9 I heard. After getting a 9, you throw two more hammers and you have a 1/7 chance since you can't get the same number within two hammers. And G&W can D-throw into 9 if you don't tech. Watch it at 3:10.

Yeah but anyhow, I guess you're right burntsocks. The more I think about it, my main truly does destroy Yoshi. =O

Oh wait, I mentioned that G&W can FSJ to D-air. Can you FSJ to Down B? Use it if you can.

D

Deleted member

Yes he does. Punishing bair is impossible, especially if they get u in a corner on someplace like bf. Shielding bair doesnt work. it doesnt shield stab but ur shield will just get *****. Down throw is gay, if u get predicted on a tech roll, they can hyphen smash an usmash and kill u at 90% even with DI. His kill moves are rediculous (and almost all of his moves kill). Hes definately top of high or top tier, no question. Im sure some characters can deal wiht him, but yoshi sure as hell cant. So lets see what i've gotten so far:

Dont try to pivot grab
Ummm. Recover high
Uair cancels key after the key has been out for a little.
Try to counter his bair by sheilding (doesnt seem to work if they space well and hit u with the parts the want to)
Alright, for now im learning a new character to counter pick him, cuz hes too good. Also probably for meta knight. Any suggestions?

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Yeah, I use Tlink to counter some characters (like Pikachu and G&W). I doubt they're really counters, but he's my other main, and it's a hell of a lot easier to beat those characters than it is with a Yoshi.

Joeshi

Smash Rookie
Idunno i dont play many G&Ws the ones i have played ive beaten and they usually just spammed his bair alot. I find side step dodging his bair and then hitting him with either a d smash or a few neutral A hits worked well. I mean im not saying the G&W cant destroy Yoshi but i wouldnt say Yoshi has no chance against G&W. It all depends on how skilled the Yoshi player is to be able to find a strategy to win against any character. Eggs work well against him theyre a good distaraction. I also find G&W one of the characters that are easy for me to meteor smash. Like i said however this is just from the G&Ws ive played the ones ive fought were good but i doubt they were amazing.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
Come to NJ weekly and fight ROT8's and Velocitys G&W and say that.. ;P

bigman40

Smash Master
G&W is definitely a hard match-up. If not, THE hardest one around. Since you can't chase them into the air nor can you get a decent approach on them, the main thing you can do against a G&W is spam the eggs until you can force an opening. The key beats the Uair and G&W Bair destroys everything in your arsenal, but eggs.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I recently read that the Uair beats the key if the G&W player does it a little to early, so it does rely on user error rather than having the priority at all times. That Bair annoying even more than yoshi's which is incredible, I still think TL's a worse matchup cause his dair is even worse than the key do to the speed and priority.

Joeshi

Smash Rookie
I agree TL is a tuff match up aswell however i think hes easier than G&W! I was at a tourney recently with Velocity unfortunatly i didnt get to play him. Im sure ill see him again though and hopefully ill get to play a good G&W and get to test my Yoshi. If you have crackerjack aim wit Yoshis eggs you are golden! Eggs are the key! lol So let the eggs rain!

Yoshi King

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoshiKing8
I'm actually willing to venture that Yoshi's hardest matchup is Zelda, due to a number of spacing, priority, attack speed and projectile issues. Zelda is much more a hard counter to Yoshi than Game & Watch is, due to her excellent ground and air games- if you get a G&W on the ground Yoshi has little trouble dealing with him.

dragonruler824

Smash Rookie
I played several good G&W's at the last tourny i was at... ABUSE THE EGG THROW! make him come at you from the ground where he is not that much of a threat... and i wouldn't advise spiking him with f air... best to keep him away with eggs till he gets close... dodge the bair and try to punish... they might get a couple of good shots in if you time the punish wrong tho... and the bacon edge gaurd really hurts if you cant get above it...

Calixto

Smash Apprentice
I really would recommend using the Egg Throw against G&W. Additionally, one tactic I've found to be rather helpful is short hopping toward G&W and bait an aerial. He has pretty decent lag after all his aerials, which should give you some time to land a hit. Go in with the intention to kill early, since he's light.

I would also make the claim that MK is Yoshi's toughest match up, both because it simply is difficult for Yoshi, and also because of the popularity of MK.

Top Bottom