• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Egg Roll goodness (sideB)

Scala

Smash Ace
I have been experimenting with the Egg Roll (sideB) a lot recently and I think it's a very, VERY useful move to use in a fight. I thought it would be nifty if we can come up with a list of things that it does (or doesn't) have priority over since it's pretty random which attacks it does go through and which ones it doesn't.

I don't want to have anybody go into training mode and try egg roll vs every move, just if you would let me know if you use it and you pass through something or have more priority than you thought it should.

Also, full speed rolls only, the slow roll has like no priority :urg:

To kick it off, I remember passing through samus's missiles.

Also, a random question that someone might know the answer to, does the egg roll trade blows with all attacks that don't have fire/energy properties to it? I have a feeling that the egg could take something as strong as DK's punch without hurting you or knocking you back, if that's the case you could approach with egg roll, bait and punish powerful, laggy attacks

Chaco

Never Logs In
Egg roll also has a few interesting properties if you cancel it once you are right at the enemy it lets you slide to behind them open grab if CG'able or a well placed fsmash, or a nice grounded down B.

Also if you use Over B, in the air and land on them you bounce and get two hits.

And if you accidentally use it in the air away from the stage if your op hits you it lets you come out of the egg.

Shiri

Smash Chump
Also, full speed rolls only, the slow roll has like no priority :urg:
:yoshi: The Egg Roll seems this way because it actually has zero priority on the slow roll.

The hitbox for the move comes out only when it's going full speed. It may hit on an aerial bounce, but I'm still not sure about that.

Anyway, to contribute, this move goes through Meta Knight's Side+B and Pit's Side+B.

We can see lots of the more used move that Egg Roll goes through from that one video that came out that pretty much made every Yoshi main drool for this game before it came out in the States or in Europe.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Well I know it cancels a Falcon Punch, so I'd think it can cancel out a DK punch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy5gtD0nD_M

That has some good stuff. I'm pretty sure falco's lasers just break the egg open and hurt you if i remember correctly. And I have been broken out of it by nikita but he has to cancel it so that it lands where you're going to be...

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
i think pikachu's neutral B cancels it
so that would be a situation in where you shouldn't use it lol.

bigman40

Smash Master
I'm still not seeing the amount of usefulness as you guys are. Maybe I'm using it at the wrong times, cause I'm mainly moving at full speed and I always get knocked out of it.

KiwiBear

Smash Rookie
I use it against people that they they can camp Yoshi all day. If anyone has noticed this, Yoshi's Egg Roll seems to have the MOST priority when glowing, and no priority whilst turning, starting up. It can cancel everything, except lasers >_>

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I'm still not seeing the amount of usefulness as you guys are. Maybe I'm using it at the wrong times, cause I'm mainly moving at full speed and I always get knocked out of it.
^ this.

IMO Egg Roll is dirt, expensive dirt cus I payed 50 bucks for a game with dirt in it =P

This thing is only useful if it catches someone by surprise and even then I always think to myself " Why the hell did I do that and not just use an aerial or something?"

.....and when I accidently use it off stage T_T.

The priority really doesn't seem that high and Snakes Nikita is nothing, im pretty sure every move in the game will cause it to lose it's direction allowing you to just go under/over around it >.>

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
^ this.

Even if it has priority, it's slow to start and slow to finish, so the only time you should have a chance to use its priority is when your opponent is bad/terrible.

Now, if Yoshi's side-B was like Jigglypuff's, then we'd be talking.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
^ this.

Even if it has priority, it's slow to start and slow to finish, so the only time you should have a chance to use its priority is when your opponent is bad/terrible.

Now, if Yoshi's side-B was like Jigglypuff's, then we'd be talking.
No we wouldn't, I'd be complaining about how Jigglypuff's is still kinda lame, because it's sparkly 0_O!

Now If Yoshi's >B was like MARTHS! except with feet.

Why Egg Roll if you can N-air, which is better in every way and has more sex appeal and what not?

Scala

Smash Ace
egg roll has it's own special uses. Once you play yoshi for long enough you'll see times when you should use it or something else.

I'll update the OP with everyone's contributions when I'm not feeling lazy

Sharky

Smash Master
^ this.

IMO Egg Roll is dirt, expensive dirt cus I payed 50 bucks for a game with dirt in it =P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRcj6CAhe7s I'm sure he wouldn't mind =P

I'm kinda in the middle here. I makes a nice surprice attack when you're not quite dose enough for an aerial, but as a counter to enemy attacks, I wouldn't use it so much. Maybe against, say, a falcon punch or a charge shot, but certainly not against faster projectiles, or faster attacks in general.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
a full speed egg roll (i forgot what its called, the one where you egg roll the opposite way and slam the stick toward the opponent as soon as it starts) make for a nice surprise approach, maybe more useful at the beginning of a match
i wouldnt use it too often, its predictable

SOVAman

Smash Hero
^it works BUT...

it is very predictable and its also very situational but I use the egg roll in general to surprise my opponent and to KO on light characters like Olimar.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
No we wouldn't, I'd be complaining about how Jigglypuff's is still kinda lame, because it's sparkly 0_O!

Now If Yoshi's >B was like MARTHS! except with feet.

Why Egg Roll if you can N-air, which is better in every way and has more sex appeal and what not?
Sparkly? You are talking about Jiggz neutral-B, not her side-B. The side B is the pound with insane priority and range. It is amazing.

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
Mmmm. Eggrolls are good, get one everytime I get chinese takeout. I don't like the crunchy kind though.

I'm actually quite interested at the results the egg roll gives me. Occasionally, I'll play someone who is ridiculously good, use eggroll, and to my surprise they won't dodge it. These people aren't crappy either, as they can spot dodge like it's second nature, and generally kick my ***. Yet when I use egg roll, they just don't respond in the same way. It's weird. o_o

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
Already said by other people I'm sure but...

I like using egg roll as a surprise attack. With someone like Yoshi, I try to use every move in their arsenal so that I become less predictable. Egg roll is useful because sometimes people will try to spot dodge but either they mess up and they get hit, or I can go to the other side of the stage and try to get an egg or two in. And as mentioned, an egg roll with maximum momentum can be a killing move at very high percentages. I think it's a pretty good move as long as it's not abused.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I think the speed of the egg roll throws people off, it is a little weird. Some people I think try jabbing it thinking it has the garbage priority of the one from melee (I liked it's animation more though, it was like it was thundering through the level instead of just rolling). It is a very decent killing move I've killed an MK once because back then I was a noob and could barely land a killing move besides Uair.

Top Bottom