• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Eight Player Smash Precedent and Ice Climbers

Mechageo

Smash Ace
This thread confirms sound effects related to 8 player smash that are in the 3DS game data.

This thread reveals some textures that are stored in the game data, including this:

I've been thinking about these finds in the context of the Wii U system limitations when it comes to the maximum number of simultaneous connected controllers.

We have a precedent for the Wii U being able to connect with one GamePad and up to three 3DS systems locally without using WiFi. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate only supports offline local play and this is how the systems communicate. I imagine it uses some form of Bluetooth. This can happen while other Pro Controllers and Wii Remotes are synced with the system and have their player selection lights turned on.

If this is true, eight player smash may require a 3DS or Gamepad for players five through 8.

We've heard of two Gamepad support for games, but this interview makes it seem like that's not likely in time for Smash:
“We’re still trying to get as many people as possible to buy the system itself, and that’s where our focus is right now. For the time being, two GamePad gameplay is not within our objectives in the short-term.

From a technical standpoint, I think if we decided to pursue that, technically we would be able to and we can perform system updates that would allow for that. It’s also very interesting from a gameplay perspective idea because there are a lot of possibilities with two GamePads.

But, at the same time, taking that kind of approach would again be a drain on resources and require us to continue to utilize our development resources for that. So then it would become a question of where do we want to devote our resources: Is it to creating regular GamePad games, or creating games centered around two GamePads?”
Based on this information, it seems likely that the 3DS will be used to facilitate eight player smash. With that conclusion in my head, I began thinking about the Ice Climbers cut.

Sakurai said that they were working on the Wii U and that the 3DS processor limitations were responsible for their cut, but I can't help wonder if eight player smash had something to do with this. Perhaps having 16 Ice Climbers in one match caused issues. That would be eight CPU characters and eight players at once!

The Ice Climbers bit is pure speculation, but I can't help feeling like it carries a grain of truth.

What do you think?

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
Yeah. If this is true then it means the was the MODE that made Ice Climbers being cut. If it wasn't for that mode then they could have been in it surely! I wish 3DS version didn't exist. *sigh*

Raido

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. If this is true then it means the was the MODE that made Ice Climbers being cut. If it wasn't for that mode then they could have been in it surely! I wish 3DS version didn't exist. *sigh*
But the 3DS has no 8 player mode, so what you say makes no sense. How can it be the reason if it's not part of the game?

Raido

Smash Apprentice
It was taken out too late in development and it would've taken too long to put Ice Climbers in/back in?
So they create the Ice Climbers and the 8 player mode. They test 8 Ice Climbers and figure out the 3DS can't handle it. They scrap the IC but stay with the 8 player mode, until 1 or 2 years later they scarp that as well and think "Oh well, could've kept the IC in the game...". Sorry but this is a really stupid scenario.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
So they create the Ice Climbers and the 8 player mode. They test 8 Ice Climbers and figure out the 3DS can't handle it. They scrap the IC but stay with the 8 player mode, until 1 or 2 years later they scarp that as well and think "Oh well, could've kept the IC in the game...". Sorry but this is a really stupid scenario.
You expect a man like Sakurai to make sense?

Top Bottom