• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Eldiran's PSAs 'n' Stuff: Newest - Zero 1.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
Keep in mind that all of the characters I mentioned have useful ground and air games. In fact, most if not all characters have a killshot aerial with an exception being maybe sheik and she gets the bonus of having a whole other character to work with.
Sheik has Fair, while not a straight up KO move is definitely a gimp aerial which serves a somewhat similar purpose (killing aerial).

But besides that, I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
I'd take the first part off of Ftilt so that it would be a sort of mid-range poke. Zero has few options there right now, as the Z-Buster or Shield Boomerang is too slow/punishable, and a dash slides him into attack range with few options on the way in.

I also agree with Rykoshet in giving him aerial killmoves and upping his non-dash mobility. Being forced to dash around is extremely frustrating when trying to mix up your approach, even with canceling added. Also, if the only moves with true killing power are on the ground and Zero can't force an opponent to stay there, he's doomed because he can't stay alive long enough for them to work. He can do hit-and-runs pretty well, but unless you try to combo an airdash Nair into Usmash, you'll never take them out.

Cutting his wall-jumps by about 5 and giving him a tiny increase in jump height would also be good, as a sort of movement balance.

PS : recovery is too good
Only under certain conditions. Coming from below, he moves at mostly right angles and is easy to predict. Recovering from walls on solid floor stages is too easy, though.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
All it really takes is standing on a platform and moving left and right to remove all of zero's kill options on you and live to at least 240, 300+ if you're a heavy. He has no viable strings or frame traps, rush down or camping capability to build said damage either.

Call it an experiment, just implement all of my suggestions at once and let people play it for a week, see if the character's overpowered. I'll put straight money on it being balanced. I'd be the first to tell you if something is stronger than it should be.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
If you are taking suggestions then I'd like to suggest Viewtiful Joe. Problem is to get a good Joe you'd need to base it off Link's B moveset and I dunno how all this editing stuff works, can you make someone use another persons specials? If yes then I could easily get a list of moves and how you could make them together (based on what I have seen you and other people do, IE use Character X Animation, use X model, Etc). A master of speeding up / Slowing things down would be pretty unique to me.

Np, keep up the good work :)
Well, I fixed the glitch with Zero jumping out of dash... but can't seem to get it to crash with turning. Out of curiosity, do you use tap jump?

Eldiran a little more feedback on the whole Shield not having much potential as a move modifier.

Why not make it so Down B Equips / un-equips his Z-saber. You could use Tatsunoko vs. Capcom youtube footage for reference for some unarmed moves. It would make more sense than trying to turn that shield into a situational replacement for the dash.

Edit - Just won a normal brawl then went to practice, game froze again. Not sure if its B+ or Zero related but I have not had it crash going to training without Zero, so just letting you know.
I actually considered that intially, but Link's hands when not holding something are so incredibly shrimpy it just looked terrible. I also didn't know there was any precedent for it, so it seemed very un-Zero-like.

As for the crash... I can't say I've ever had such an experience, and as the main tester for this guy, I've been going back and forth from Brawl to Training very often.

You know what's fun with Zero?
His side taunt is reflectable, Absorbable, and bucketable
Yep!

I tried Zero, he feels really weird.
His grab is strange and has no hookshot, but he still has a grapple in his Zair

also i dont really get the side b's

basically when u press down b, zero pulls out a shield and his side-b becomes a boomer throw?
hes a pretty complicated character, but he's really fun to play.

PS : recovery is too good
Thanks! That's basically how the shield works, yeah. I tried my hardest to make Zero unique, so it sounds like I succeeded.

Alright, I keep seeing the reasoning that a move has a single good aspect so it's "meant to lack" the others. ...

In all seriousness, make his fair and up air capable of killing, destroy the lag on his nair, give him some ground mobility in his run and walk to make side B something you WANT to use instead of something you HAVE to use. Add range to his ground kill shots. Give his descending uncharged autocancel properties. Being able to follow up into a 3 damage easily power shielded and punished laggy grounded shot is not something that will overpower the chracter, most people arent gonna risk doing a standing shot because the punishment potential is too high. All of these suggestions, if you put them together, will still not make your vbrawl zero overpowered.
I understand what you're saying, but (as someone who is very conservative when making characters) I think I treat things as having more power, range, and speed than you do. I actually feel Fsmash's range is mediocre more than bad, for example. But -- still, I see the point you're making. And it's a very good way of thinking about move design that I never thought of (at least not so clearly) so thanks for that.

Anyway, I finally got some good testing done with real people lately (not a lot of people to play against here), and I used a rather buffed version of Zero for it. Now that my opponent is becoming accustomed to Zero, I found us doing about evenly.

So basically... yeah, Zero's due for some more buffs.

EDIT:
I'd take the first part off of Ftilt so that it would be a sort of mid-range poke. Zero has few options there right now, as the Z-Buster or Shield Boomerang is too slow/punishable, and a dash slides him into attack range with few options on the way in.
More like a very long range poke... but to be serious-- I think I like the current Ftilt too much to do that. It's not a good poke, but it's very good when used defensively. Also it looks cool and unique.

I also agree with Rykoshet in giving him aerial killmoves and upping his non-dash mobility. Being forced to dash around is extremely frustrating when trying to mix up your approach, even with canceling added. Also, if the only moves with true killing power are on the ground and Zero can't force an opponent to stay there, he's doomed because he can't stay alive long enough for them to work. He can do hit-and-runs pretty well, but unless you try to combo an airdash Nair into Usmash, you'll never take them out.

Cutting his wall-jumps by about 5 and giving him a tiny increase in jump height would also be good, as a sort of movement balance.
I'm stubborn about the non-dash speed because the way it currently is is actually rather true to the games he's in. Aerial killing power is probably going to recieve some improvement, but he would probably not have anything that qualifies as a kill move until quite high percents. As for his smashes, they aren't as impossible to land as you might think. (Though they are still difficult to hit with.)

I did introduce some hard limits on wall-jumps, namely that after jump 5 he has no more double jump. This really damages any stalling potential. Increasing his jump height is a unique consideration though.

Only under certain conditions. Coming from below, he moves at mostly right angles and is easy to predict. Recovering from walls on solid floor stages is too easy, though.
This is very true- Zero's recovery is largely dependent on stage.

Call it an experiment, just implement all of my suggestions at once and let people play it for a week, see if the character's overpowered. I'll put straight money on it being balanced. I'd be the first to tell you if something is stronger than it should be.
Amusingly, I basically just did that and found it to be fine. :p

ChronicleX

Smash Cadet
I actually considered that intially, but Link's hands when not holding something are so incredibly shrimpy it just looked terrible. I also didn't know there was any precedent for it, so it seemed very un-Zero-like.
Having him use his Z-Saber ALL THE TIME is more un-zero like than a minor cosmetic that can be fixed by making him hold something else while not using the saber, example the hookshot (again) but flipped or positioned further up, etc. I'm sure you'll think of something or a new hack development will allow you to fix it down the line.

Also what do you think of the dash suggestion I posted previously (side b on ground = use air attacks instead of dash)? As that other guy had a point, Side B should be a choice and not foced. Another example is to make it even faster than it is now but give it a small cooldown betwen uses of a few seconds. Hell if you went with the Saber + Unarmed idea, you could give the Unarmed Zero this kind of dash for example, and have the with saber one use the current dash. If you consider trying out the idea, I could help coming up with a list of differences (I'm a big fan of Zero).

Other Misc Suggestions.

-Allow UP B to be cancelled into a Downward dash by smashing Down (thus allowing Zero to dash in all 4 directions)
-Have Downsmash not use a jump. Would increase its statergic use (charging it up gives you an extra jump to use).

and 1 question to finish, does UpB / Side B get restored when you are hit in the air. I have not taken the time to notice but if it does not it should, as it would explain why the CPU never seems to be able to recover :chuckle:

Xeial

Smash Cadet
Firstly, Eldiran - Your work continues to impress me and push the limits of PSA. Your creativity and quality-control are a model for future PSA users.

Secondly, for the most part I would agree with an overall buff to kill-power, and possibly a Side-B refresh upon being hit. I've been thinking about the proposed buffs for the Boomerang Shield, and I have some suggestions.

- Decrease the overall start-up/cool-down time on the move, and instate a velocity increase on it's initial throw. This would make the Boomerang Throw>Dash setup more effective.

- Possibly give the shield a reflective capability when thrown. (Like Falco's reflector.) It would be a good supplement to his projectile game and could also be useful for some interesting mix-ups and mindgames.

Overall, those are the only things I can think of for the Boomerang Shield. Next I have an idea for the Buster/Neutral-B.

- Remove any KB/stun on the uncharged shot and allow it to be auto-canceled upon landing. Possibly group the shots closer together to allow for a shot release closer to the ground. Combined with his dash mobility, he may not need such a large buff to his kill-power if he can rack up free damage like Fox.

I've been reading about what people think about the Side-B, and while I can understand a few of the gripes that have been posted, I don't find it to be nearly as limited. In the air, holding back during a dash for varying amounts of time provides a decent range of different distances. Interestingly, it reminds me very much of the different lengths for the Space Animals' Side-B, albeit much more intuitive for control.

Which makes me think...

Would it be possible to add fast-fall capability out of Side-B? What about the ability to jump-cancel during the initial animation? In Brawl+ the momentum capture combined with a jump-canceled Side-B would do wonders for lateral recovery and approaches/interception.

Lastly... I've been doing some pretty hefty play-testing over the past few days... Does anyone else notice the lack of Dash-Dance capability? I'm using the Brawl+ version of Zero with B+ 5.0, no other codes loaded. I also tried reloading all files onto the SD card, hoping that maybe a file wasn't loading correctly, but no difference yet. If this is intentional, then fine. However, to compensate, would it be possible to cancel a grounded Side-B into a second grounded Side-B?

Keep up the great work, bro.

EDIT: Sorry about the wall of text. It's just a few paragraphs, is that so bad?

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
^ uhm tl;dr sorry

I played Zero today and I was amazed by how unique he was, it was like pushing PSA to its limits!
On a side note, I keep getting PWND by level 5 CPU's which is kinda not normal for me.
I think the Up B needs a little bit of work (or I think It's just me sucking lol)
Oh and does SideTaunt have any effects or something?

Xeial

Smash Cadet
He has it. Just hit down or try to execute a fast fall in the middle of the dash. He goes straight down, but keeps momentum.
Ah, I didn't clarify exactly what I meant, sorry.

I was hoping that a Fast-Fall or jump could be used in the opening frames of the move, instead of after a certain amount of time.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
@Rykoshet: nice vid! I can see how you can still lose out even when being very careful and effective.

Having him use his Z-Saber ALL THE TIME is more un-zero like than a minor cosmetic that can be fixed by making him hold something else while not using the saber, example the hookshot (again) but flipped or positioned further up, etc. I'm sure you'll think of something or a new hack development will allow you to fix it down the line.

Also what do you think of the dash suggestion I posted previously (side b on ground = use air attacks instead of dash)? As that other guy had a point, Side B should be a choice and not foced. Another example is to make it even faster than it is now but give it a small cooldown betwen uses of a few seconds. Hell if you went with the Saber + Unarmed idea, you could give the Unarmed Zero this kind of dash for example, and have the with saber one use the current dash. If you consider trying out the idea, I could help coming up with a list of differences (I'm a big fan of Zero).

-Allow UP B to be cancelled into a Downward dash by smashing Down (thus allowing Zero to dash in all 4 directions)
-Have Downsmash not use a jump. Would increase its statergic use (charging it up gives you an extra jump to use).
Your ideas are very creative and interesting. I'm not really interested in devising a way to sheathe his Z-saber though; not when I have to use Link. All his animations would be terribly awkward-looking, aerial ones in particular. Trust me, I tried it. Perhaps when model/animation hacking comes along...

Aerial attacks on the ground would also look rather awkward, excluding rolling with Nair (as the final smash does). Regarding the choice of dashing... if you played the Megaman X games, you'll find that it's really quite essential. It makes the game, really -- if you're not dashing when fighting, you're doing it wrong. As such, I think Zero's dash is fine. The only reason I'd increase run speed is to lessen the shield's drawbacks.

Honestly, Zero fastfalls so insanely fast I couldn't make a reasonable downward dash that's any faster. Downsmash granting an extra jump is intriguing though.

Firstly, Eldiran - Your work continues to impress me and push the limits of PSA. Your creativity and quality-control are a model for future PSA users.

- Decrease the overall start-up/cool-down time on the move, and instate a velocity increase on it's initial throw. This would make the Boomerang Throw>Dash setup more effective.

- Possibly give the shield a reflective capability when thrown. (Like Falco's reflector.) It would be a good supplement to his projectile game and could also be useful for some interesting mix-ups and mindgames.

- Remove any KB/stun on the uncharged shot and allow it to be auto-canceled upon landing. Possibly group the shots closer together to allow for a shot release closer to the ground. Combined with his dash mobility, he may not need such a large buff to his kill-power if he can rack up free damage like Fox.

Would it be possible to add fast-fall capability out of Side-B? What about the ability to jump-cancel during the initial animation? In Brawl+ the momentum capture combined with a jump-canceled Side-B would do wonders for lateral recovery and approaches/interception.

Lastly... I've been doing some pretty hefty play-testing over the past few days... Does anyone else notice the lack of Dash-Dance capability? I'm using the Brawl+ version of Zero with B+ 5.0, no other codes loaded. I also tried reloading all files onto the SD card, hoping that maybe a file wasn't loading correctly, but no difference yet. If this is intentional, then fine. However, to compensate, would it be possible to cancel a grounded Side-B into a second grounded Side-B?

Keep up the great work, bro.

EDIT: Sorry about the wall of text. It's just a few paragraphs, is that so bad?
Thanks! Nah, I've got like a dozen walls of text in this thread. Anyway, I'd love to make the thrown shield a reflector. If anyone knows how to make an Offensive or Special Offensive Collision reflect, I can do it. (Ness/Lucas' bat offensive collision flags don't do it.) Otherwise, I don't think it's possible.

As for editing Zero's buster shots to remove knockback -- I can't; he uses Super Scope shots, which are uneditable.

If you fast-fall immediately out of dash, it actually pops you up a bit, which is an interesting mix-up. You can actually jump out of it instantly.

Thanks for the feedback and ideas!

^ uhm tl;dr sorry

I played Zero today and I was amazed by how unique he was, it was like pushing PSA to its limits!
On a side note, I keep getting PWND by level 5 CPU's which is kinda not normal for me.
I think the Up B needs a little bit of work (or I think It's just me sucking lol)
Oh and does SideTaunt have any effects or something?
Thanks! Side taunt does 1% when the clone explodes.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Ah, I didn't clarify exactly what I meant, sorry.

I was hoping that a Fast-Fall or jump could be used in the opening frames of the move, instead of after a certain amount of time.
You can fast fall immediately after you side B, it's just if you do it TOO quick, you do a CIAD which gives you a vertical boost to be used for spacing, recovery, or whatever you can use CIAD for. :V

Also, you can jump out of grounded Zero Dash asap, but not in air due to a glitch/error, IIRC.

ChronicleX

Smash Cadet
Your ideas are very creative and interesting. I'm not really interested in devising a way to sheathe his Z-saber though; not when I have to use Link. All his animations would be terribly awkward-looking, aerial ones in particular. Trust me, I tried it. Perhaps when model/animation hacking comes along...

Aerial attacks on the ground would also look rather awkward, excluding rolling with Nair (as the final smash does). Regarding the choice of dashing... if you played the Megaman X games, you'll find that it's really quite essential. It makes the game, really -- if you're not dashing when fighting, you're doing it wrong. As such, I think Zero's dash is fine. The only reason I'd increase run speed is to lessen the shield's drawbacks.

Honestly, Zero fastfalls so insanely fast I couldn't make a reasonable downward dash that's any faster. Downsmash granting an extra jump is intriguing though.
Fair enough. Then to expand on his side B on the ground a little further, how about that when you use this dash, you can cancel it into an up or down tilt without loosing momentum. That way the side B can be worthy of being a special, while also making him a bit more Zero like (Zero was never the one to spam the same attack over and over). The air version (minus not getting it back on hit and not being able to "dash jump" like you can on the grond) can be considered a special at least, since he is the only one who can dash properly in the air, not the same for the ground.

Edit - You could also allow him to fire/charge his blaster while dashing (which would be really neat). IE Side dash and keep B held down for its duration to get 1 Blaster charge, release and tap again during dash to fire while dashing.

Edit2 -

Oh and if you are keeping the shield, please make the equip/removal ALOT faster, it takes WAY too long at the moment. It might even look better if it just "appeared" in his hand with a little appear/vanish effect, as thats how the Megaman Universe handles weapons for the most part anyway.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
its link's bair... doesn't really fit with the whole "Zero" character idea.

the dude has a sword, but he's kicking people.... only yoshimitsu can get away with that ****.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
You shut your face, the bair is sexy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMHjsl-geG0#t=1m30s

We stole the hell out of that move due to sexiness.
NO. BAIR IS BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD.

its link's bair... doesn't really fit with the whole "Zero" character idea.

the dude has a sword, but he's kicking people.... only yoshimitsu can get away with that ****.
This is why Link's Bair shouldn't be on Zero.

Character is fully capable of kicking people, hell tvc zero's 2A looks to be zelda's down tilt.
That game puts more emphasis on punches and kicks. This game does not. It puts more emphasis on Zero's canon moves. So no.

You do not pass Go. You do not collect 200$.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Fair enough. Then to expand on his side B on the ground a little further, how about that when you use this dash, you can cancel it into an up or down tilt without loosing momentum. That way the side B can be worthy of being a special, while also making him a bit more Zero like (Zero was never the one to spam the same attack over and over). The air version (minus not getting it back on hit and not being able to "dash jump" like you can on the grond) can be considered a special at least, since he is the only one who can dash properly in the air, not the same for the ground.

Edit -

Oh and if you are keeping the shield, please make the equip/removal ALOT faster, it takes WAY too long at the moment. It might even look better if it just "appeared" in his hand with a little appear/vanish effect, as thats how the Megaman Universe handles weapons for the most part anyway.
Weeell, the tilts' animations wouldn't flow so well being used out of a dash. I'd sooner make new attack options (in the style of upward jab3) than use those. Which is something I might do if I think of cool/reasonable options.

The shield is actually twice as fast to put away than to equip. I may make it thrice as fast.

THAT REMINDS ME. ARE YOU GOING TO USE ANIMATION SWAPPING TO GET RID OF THAT TERRIBAD LOOKING BAIR!?

kthxbai
Aaactually I have plans for Zero's bair. Specifically, I'm making it a single backward kick. Flows, works, and looks much better.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Yo Eld, I'm really happy for you, and I'mma let you finish, but Link's Bair is the worst animation for Zero of all time.

OF ALL TIME.

ChronicleX

Smash Cadet
Weeell, the tilts' animations wouldn't flow so well being used out of a dash. I'd sooner make new attack options (in the style of upward jab3) than use those. Which is something I might do if I think of cool/reasonable options.

The shield is actually twice as fast to put away than to equip. I may make it thrice as fast.

You could also allow him to fire/charge his blaster while dashing (which would be really neat). IE Side dash and keep B held down for its duration to get 1 Blaster charge, release and tap again during dash to fire while dashing. Could even make it so there is a sweet spot where you can get 1 charge and fire, instead of 1 or the other.

As for alternate dash attacks

Forwards - Thrust Saber into foe
Up - A beam saber Shoryuken?
Down - Leg Swipe.

Also the main problem with the shield is the speed of equip as getting rid of it is easy and not a problem (you throw it away). The main problem is equipping of it when you dont want to (like in the air thus killing you).

Xeial

Smash Cadet
Just saying, did anyone else catch this?

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Just saying, did anyone else catch this?
Totally forgot to reply to that. Yeah, Zero doesn't have a dash-dance, which is mostly because the regular Dash animation refused to respond to any kind of Change Action or Change Subaction. So... I kinda basically removed it. It's currently 1 frame long.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Yea. It's because Zero's Initial Dash is only 1 frame long. We made it like that so that players would have no issues with Uptaunt Dash. :V

So basically, it was shorted to stop ****ing with Utaunt Dash incase players used the unrestricted code to map utaunt to like Y/X or something.

FFFFFF NINJA'D **** IT ELD.

Xeial

Smash Cadet
All right, gotcha.

Can't wait for the next version! The new B-Air sounds promising, as does the possible refresh of Side-B when hit.

ChronicleX

Smash Cadet
Totally forgot to reply to that. Yeah, Zero doesn't have a dash-dance, which is mostly because the regular Dash animation refused to respond to any kind of Change Action or Change Subaction. So... I kinda basically removed it. It's currently 1 frame long.
Which is one of the reasons I asked for a "backwards" dash a page or so back, to compensate for his lack of Dash Dance.

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
What Bair are you considering? I'm partial to Samus' if you want to keep the kick, but that kind of contortion would seem odd for Zero.

Also, would you be adding the buffs you tried for the next public version, or are you just going to test them yourself for awhile?

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Which is one of the reasons I asked for a "backwards" dash a page or so back, to compensate for his lack of Dash Dance.
I'm considering that, though I'm not certain it's necessary. (I'll be honest -- I don't dash dance. Is it really that useful, particularly for someone with Zero's speed?)

What Bair are you considering? I'm partial to Samus' if you want to keep the kick, but that kind of contortion would seem odd for Zero.

Also, would you be adding the buffs you tried for the next public version, or are you just going to test them yourself for awhile?
I'm actually sticking with Link's Bair animation, though honestly it looks and behaves almost exactly like Samus'.

I'll be releasing whatever version I'm using (the one with all the buffs) when I decide I've made enough changes to deserve a release.

angelbless

Smash Apprentice
Oh my Zero was awesome... I didnt know this things could be created... Congratulations on all this, however you all do this possible... :)

Ryo242

Smash Ace
Are you planning on utilizing the sound effect replacement for any of Zero? Maybe some new voices or saber swings?

shanus

Smash Hero
I'm considering that, though I'm not certain it's necessary. (I'll be honest -- I don't dash dance. Is it really that useful, particularly for someone with Zero's speed?)

I'm actually sticking with Link's Bair animation, though honestly it looks and behaves almost exactly like Samus'.

I'll be releasing whatever version I'm using (the one with all the buffs) when I decide I've made enough changes to deserve a release.
in Vbrawl its not that useful due to the tripping chance and smaller window, but in both melee and B+ it is an integral part of spacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom