• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Election Day '08: Obama Wins, Old guy doesn't

Who are you voting for in the US Presidential Election?

• Obama Biden

Votes: 204 72.1%
  • McCain Palin

Votes: 55 19.4%
  • Other

Votes: 24 8.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
If anything let's hope obama will be more like Clinton rather than Bush, after all Clinton was a Democratic.

EDIT: Yea, not only did some republicans turn on their own party. but it also had to do with alot of young voters as well as a large portion of hispanics. A for McCain being portrayed as Bush, well unfortunetly even if McCain didn't exactly follow the same principles as Bush does, he was publicly seen together with him and in one commercial he even stated that he voted 90% of the time with Bush, which really made him look bad, and people reactions to that is simple, no 3rd term.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It was Ironic when Obama won the state that McCain was senator in.
If he had the most votes, but didn't get elected in his state, can he be president? Over here if our PM doesn't win his seat, his side can win the election, but he can't be PM.

Darkslash

Smash Master
TBH I dunno what Seat Harper is. To many riding in the Toronto area...

So Obama made how many first? Fist African American President, First president not born in the continent part of the US.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
If he had the most votes, but didn't get elected in his state, can he be president? Over here if our PM doesn't win his seat, his side can win the election, but he can't be PM.
Yeah, but that's a totally different system. Your PM isn't even elected, but appointed by his party, right? And he's still considered a member of the House, right? Not so in our system.

Presidents don't have to be senators, or representatives. A person running for President doesn't even have to hold a government office. Dwight Eisenhower was a general, never held an elected office.

We do have a Speaker of the House, and Majority Leaders, and other important positions within the House and the Senate, but they're not directly related to the President.

Peaches

Smash Lord
You only need the most electoral votes.
Nope, you need 270.

If for instance, a 3rd party came along and took 80 electoral votes (lol, I'd like to see that happen. It hasn't happened for what, 150 years?) then it'd be hard for the other guys to get up to 270.

I believe 270 is 2/3 majority. Anyways, if no one reaches 270 votes (which isn't a problem in a 2 party setup that we have) then no one wins... I don't remember how they settle this because it'll never happen until we get viable 3rd parties. Hopefully that'll happen.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
We have 534 electoral votes, 270 is the majority of those. You do need the majority of electoral votes possible, not just the most of the canidates. If no one has a majority then the house of representatives decides who is president.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
The most popular radio station in the Netherlands is called Radio 538.

But it has NOTHING to do with politics. It was their AM frequency they started out on.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
I think this topic is pretty much done.

GG to those that didn't act like morons!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom