• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Election Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
So yeah, this election has been a doozy. Obama was up and down and all around. And Romney was well...an enigma. But it's almost over and I think Obama's gonna win this.

The majority of the polls show him as the favorite.

An intelligent statistician that accurately predicted that Obama would win in 2008 and the GOP will take the House in 2010, says Obama has a 91% chance of winning.

And Romney doesn't exactly have a strong support system. Most of his voters either wanted someone else or just really hates Obama. And settling isn't exactly a wise thing to do. That and the fact that Gary Johnson is probably leeching more votes off of Romney than so Obama.

Also besides the opinion of "I like his policies better" here's why it would be better for Obama to win:

The (possible) death of SuperPACs. Sure Romney's superPACs were less competent than Obama's, but I doubt Romney is gonna get rid of them if he wins. And while it's possible, they won't go away if Obama wins, at least they have a better chance of going away.

No longer will politicians try to survive only by trying to cater to the ever shrinking white male vote

But anyway, who do think is gonna win and by how much?

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I'm confident Obama will win because anyone who gets on the computer for a few moments can see how incompetent Romney is; as you say, most Romney fans are actually Obama haters, but once they realize that hating Obama =/= preferring Romney, they have no choice but to vote democrat (and some who hate Obama are misinformed, which the internet can change).

Also, for what its worth, he has a lot of the black vote and the vote of people who simply feel more comfortable having someone who is already president stay where he is and keep working on what he has going.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Voted earlier in the week. Went ahead and went with Gary Johnson as my candidate, though it doesn't really mean much in the state of Texas.

I felt pretty bad that I totally forgot about the other votes I would have to make (senators, railroad commish, etc).

And this sums up the battle between Obama and Romney pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX_1B0w7Hzc

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I voted Obama. Romney's views on gay rights, ****, abortion, health care, and of course the tax cuts for the rich is something I never did like. Truth be told, I'd be amazed if Romney wins, given the amount of people who disapprove of him; democrats and republicans alike.

:phone:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Thank you for sharing that theeboredone. <3

D

Deleted member

Can't wait until this election is finally over.

This election has been very close between both Romney and Obama and it's hard to say who'll win, especially since last month.

I honestly don't expect either candidates to do much (which is why I voted for Gary Johnson), but I'd rather Obama win this one since at least his views on gays and women are favorable towards both groups (unlike Romney's) and the economy is on the right track (although I do feel he should have NOT said the economy would recover within his first term knowing how hard the economy was hit).

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I'm definitely hoping that Romney wins as unlikely as it will be. Canada stands to benefit way more from Romney than Obama who doesn't really seem to notice Canada's existence. His plans will likely make things worse for us as well like Obamacare.

I can see Romney handling money well whereas Obama can make promises that end up undelivered because of financial troubles. Betcha he'll change his stance on the pipeline once he is reelected. ;)

Don't get me wrong though. If I were American, I'd vote for Obama too.

D

Deleted member

Who else plans to pay VERY close attention to the election results?

I'll be trying to juggle paying attention to the results, doing homework, and studying once I get home from cashier training (first part last until 7:30 PM CST tonight). Need to go now.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
While electorally, Obama won easily, the populate vote is really close. When you think about it, he barely won some of those battleground states, and it could have easily swung either way.

Speaking of electoral, why do we have that in the first place? Would it be better to move back to a popular vote?

D

Deleted member

Romney actually won the popular vote. Sometime tells me that Hurricane Sandy may have influenced the next four years, as much as it hurts to say it.

Either way, I'm not really looking forward to it and I'm worried about the debt that I'll be inherited from previous generations (and my kids as well if I ever have them).

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Obama won the popular vote.

By like 2 - 3 million

Are we really ignoring California?

D

Deleted member

I saw the result at midnight before all voted were added.

Kal

Smash Champion
There are two main reasons for the electoral vote:

1) Ease of reporting information. It is much easier for the electors to report what their states want than it is to accurately calculate a popular vote. This is less relevant today, however.

2) Protecting citizens from overtly bad choices. If, for example, the popular vote were in favor of a president who was obviously going to run the country into the ground, the electoral college could step in and vote for someone else. Though the Supreme Court has ruled that, being state officials, the states have the right to decide whether the electors even can vote unfaithfully (i.e., vote for a candidate that is not who their state has chosen).

There are other benefits from the Electoral College. For example, should the president-elect die before the electors convene in December, then the electors can choose another candidate (and hopefully make an informed decision). With a popular vote, this would be noticeably harder, though an argument is to be made that we could just promote the Vice President-elect.

Anyway, I'm no political scientist, so people can (and should) openly call me out on anything I've said. Wikipedia does a good job of presenting arguments for and against the Electoral College.

And yes, after Obama won Ohio, his win was basically secured.

Kal

Smash Champion
^ Bull**** reasons, popular vote is better.
I did not mean to suggest that the reasons for the Electoral College necessarily justify its existence. They are just benefits. Obviously, the first reason I stated is not going to suffice anymore, since technology has made it pretty easy to get a very accurate popular vote.

I personally agree that we should use the popular vote over the Electoral College. The most obvious issue with the Electoral College is disenfranchisement: people who aren't able to vote still contribute (by merely living in the state) to the number of electors the state gets. Slavery was probably the most obvious example, where calculating a state's population involved simply adding three-fifths of the slave population to the state's free population. Yet those slaves were unable to vote. So disenfranchising the slaves, which would normally at least not help the anti-abolition crowd, instead does exactly the opposite, and provides them leverage they otherwise would not have.

I was honestly hoping Obama would win the Electoral College, but lose the popular vote. The GOP's response would have been overwhelmingly negative (and I'm sure they would conveniently ignore the 2000 election), and we might have seen the Electoral College abolished in Obama's second term. Though that might be overly hopeful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom