• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elemental strengths/weaknesses, yay or nay?

Shiny Pidgey

Smash Cadet
I think it would be cool if, just within the subset of PT, the pokemon's elemental weaknesses played a role.

Like Squirtle's attacks would deal more damage to charizard, who would deal more damage to Ivysaur, who would deal more damage to squirtle. And in reverse, too. Ivysaur would deal less damage to charizard and charizard would deal less damage to squirtle, etc.

Not effecting pokeball pokemon, or pikachu, etc, just solely when battling PT vs PT.

I think it would create an interesting, more strategic feel.

What do you guys think?

mickeyk90

Smash Apprentice
nay

Imagine a ditto pokemon trainer fight
Both would be prolonging time just by switching back and forth

enough said

Lipucd

Smash Apprentice
Sad to say the element's have just been there for looks. G&W's hammer does nothing "Special" if he hits something that should be "weak" to said element, yet maybe for a event...I could see an event indeed...

As for PT vs. PT in normal battles...Ehh....Ya...Think Ivy vs. Ivy! No ones going to open weakness if they can avoid it...so both plays will mirror match...and if I want that I'll watch a Fox vs. Fox match. =p

Drgnfiv

Smash Rookie
It'd be a nice addition since it would pay homage to the Pokemon series. However, I'm hoping that they don't include elemental strengths and weaknesses. You never know though. We already have a "It's super effective" from PT using his FS.

m0dredus

Hail Hydra
I've talked about this before. But, I'll say it again anyway. It seems the "weakness" system has been implemented under our noses. Think of it, Squirtle, being small and fast, is a natural counter to Charizard. Same with bulky Charizard fighting Ivysaur effectively because the speed difference isn't that big, and Charizard's power makes more of a difference. Same goes for an all-around character (Ivysaur) besting a speedy character (squirtle). It may not be necessarily true when the game comes out, but for now, I think my theory is viable.

Gary

Smash Apprentice
Ooo, I haven't thought of that... yeah, that seems likely. All depends on the power and speed differences.

RavnKing

Smash Rookie
Don't forget that elemental damage was mentioned on the Dojo for Olimar's Pikmin. The red one being immune to fire and doing fire damage is an example. It wouldn't have to be a huge difference to be a nice mechanic. I think someone should do a little research on the possible elemntal damage combinations, for PT and other characters.

tacticslord

Smash Rookie
I've talked about this before. But, I'll say it again anyway. It seems the "weakness" system has been implemented under our noses. Think of it, Squirtle, being small and fast, is a natural counter to Charizard. Same with bulky Charizard fighting Ivysaur effectively because the speed difference isn't that big, and Charizard's power makes more of a difference. Same goes for an all-around character (Ivysaur) besting a speedy character (squirtle). It may not be necessarily true when the game comes out, but for now, I think my theory is viable.
You know, I was actually thinking quite the opposite. Ivysaur seems big on the whole range thing and will probably be fought by keeping opponents away for a while. This means that the big slow charizard is going to have a constant barrage of seeds, leaves, and vines in his face while the quicker faster squirtle will be able to more easily avoid such attacks and get in more of his own during the lag. And while it's true that squirtle seems like a natural counter to charizard, extra work seems to have been put in to make slow powerful characters actually useful. This is most seen in the large amount of range and speed of which the tilt attacks come out as well as more of them having super armor during some of their attacks. If charizard has this during his side B, then I'll be he'll be more than a match for the small turtle considering he only has to hit him a few times for a KO while it might take a while for squirtle to get rid of him. Still I can see it going both ways all of which depending on who has what and how.

Top Bottom