• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I love Elma as much as anyone here, but don't get too confident about any character. She has good chances, yes, but don't become overconfident. There's a very real possibility that we're getting so few newcomers that we're not going to get Elma in base roster.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
So we finally have a character from X making a cameo in Xenoblade 2. Sadly, it's not Elma but still really cool.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
I was just thinking; everybody seems to have settled on around a half dozen being the number of newcomers we can expect. There definitely won't be enough Directs between now and launch to reveal everyone (assuming Sakurai wants to reveal everyone before launch, which I think he may just to avoid another massive leak like last time). So do you think it's possible we could get a reveal at EVO? Other fighting games have done character reveals there, but never Smash.

Granted, I don't think EVO would be the place to reveal a more niche character like Elma, but you never know.

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
While I think her only chance would be if an XCX port or sequel came out and they wanted her as DLC to advertise them, it's a chance regardless. I support her.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Shoulda been boze or HB if we're being honest lmao, both tatsu and lin deserve better
Realistically tho I think a more fitting choice should have been
Lao.

No Prog Ares. No Chimera. Just Lao.

Because of obvious reasons, how overall important he was to the story, and the sequel hook with him at the end of the credits.

And speaking of Prog Ares, this song NEEDS to be in Smash Ultimate:

Last edited:

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
I really hope Elma gets added. For her intro trailer, I can just imagine her coming in with her skell to the rescue of other characters being threatened by Ridley

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I was just thinking; everybody seems to have settled on around a half dozen being the number of newcomers we can expect. There definitely won't be enough Directs between now and launch to reveal everyone (assuming Sakurai wants to reveal everyone before launch, which I think he may just to avoid another massive leak like last time). So do you think it's possible we could get a reveal at EVO? Other fighting games have done character reveals there, but never Smash.

Granted, I don't think EVO would be the place to reveal a more niche character like Elma, but you never know.
I could also see them do “Newcomer Livestreams” where they put a newcomer video live just like with Robin/Lucina (and possibly Shulk). It seems Elma would be perfect for that (And even Rex/Pyra).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I could also see them do “Newcomer Livestreams” where they put a newcomer video live just like with Robin/Lucina (and possibly Shulk). It seems Elma would be perfect for that (And even Rex/Pyra).
Why not both in the same stream? There have been dual reveals before under one condition: both reveals must be from the same series (Charizard/Greninja for Pokémon, and Lucina/Robin for FE). Since Elma and Rex/Pyra are both from the Xenoblade series they could share the spotlight.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
I'm still hopeful for Elma.
Now that Roy's safely returned, her and Isaac are my most wanted by far, and I still think Isaac's might make it.
Hopefully we get something in the next few months.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Re: X’s popularity -

It’s true that it got an underwhelming response in Japan, but what about the West? Last I checked it got tons of positive reviews and praise. How well did it sell in the West (NA and EU) too?

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Re: X’s popularity -

It’s true that it got an underwhelming response in Japan, but what about the West? Last I checked it got tons of positive reviews and praise. How well did it sell in the West (NA and EU) too?
Sadly, the sales data for XCX is incomplete. It sold 200k (digital copies not included) in the USA for the month of December alone. France has about 40k after about two weeks.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Eh, some games didn't really hit their sales potential on the Wii U anyway, so I am sure X did fine enough.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
According to the data we do know, Xenoblade Chronicles X sold at least 400,000 copies, which was much more than Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii sold. This was despite the sales of the console, so the game was considered a major success by Monolith. I would wager that it at least got past the half million mark.

(114,665 Japanese Physical June 2015 + 23,000 digital Japanese May 2015, 40,000 French Sales after 2 weeks, 200,000 United States Copies December 2015, UK 28th in the charts. That's 377,665 by the end of December 2015 not including digital sales except in Japan, nor any sales in the UK, Canada, etc. At the very least it broke 400,000.)

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Why not both in the same stream? There have been dual reveals before under one condition: both reveals must be from the same series (Charizard/Greninja for Pokémon, and Lucina/Robin for FE). Since Elma and Rex/Pyra are both from the Xenoblade series they could share the spotlight.
That’s what I had in mind. And I agree, a dual reveal with Elma and Rex/Pyra would be hype.

Sadly, the sales data for XCX is incomplete. It sold 200k (digital copies not included) in the USA for the month of December alone. France has about 40k after about two weeks.
Well it was on the Wii U, so it obviously didn’t do that well since it was a niche series on a dying console. But it did well in terms of it being on the Wii U.

This also makes me hope for an X port and why the devs are also interested in an X sequel. It can have so much to success on the Switch.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
! ! ! ! !

They apparently found Elma's name hidden in the game's code. Whether she is a Blade or not remains to be seen.

I REALLY HOPE THIS IS TRUE!

EDIT: I just read that she is potentially an enemy's Blade? NO NO NO NO NO

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
! ! ! ! !

They apparently found Elma's name hidden in the game's code. Whether she is a Blade or not remains to be seen.

Source please? And again
That isn't a problem, maybe you have to defeat her in order to gain her.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Source please? And again
That isn't a problem, maybe you have to defeat her in order to gain her.
This came from the Xenoblade Subreddit Discord channel...by the same team who datamined the story DLC a couple months ago.

Elma blade.png

Elma blade 2.png

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
There's basically details for a female, twin ring female Blade tied to the challenge mode in the game's code whose blade arts use lots of multi-hit attacks, so people are speculating it's Elma. The precedent is Shulk and Fiora were introduced as Challenge Mode-related Blades as well. Considering that XBX Nopon NPCs appear in the "This Year's Heropon" challenge alongside XB1 and 2 Nopon, and the game already has plenty of fanservice in the form of Saga and Blade 1 characters being Blades, it seems likely that Elma would get in as well. We'd see a Xenogears cameo if Square Enix was willing to play ball, lol. At least we get to see Tanaka's art style in 3d with a shading style that makes it work.
The real question is will her reveal be tied to anything else? They might not get Caitlin Glass back because she's Texas-based and the recording is done in England, but I think if Elma was in Smash they'd probably record the Blade lines and her Smash lines at the same session. If she's in I don't think they'd miss the chance to reveal her Smash appearance alongside her Blade cameo.

Here's hoping.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
They might not get Caitlin Glass back because she's Texas-based and the recording is done in England, but I think if Elma was in Smash they'd probably record the Blade lines and her Smash lines at the same session. If she's in I don't think they'd miss the chance to reveal her Smash appearance alongside her Blade cameo.
Wait, but if this does end up happening than the Elma that'll be in Smash won't be voiced by Caitlin Glass? Not sure how I feel about that, as I think Caitlin did a great job voicing Elma

Last edited:

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Wait, but if this does end up happening than the Elma that'll be in Smash won't be voiced by Caitlin Glass? Not sure how I feel about that, as I think Caitlin did a great job voicing Elma
I wouldn't be too worried. It would obviously be preferable if we could get Caitlin, but Nintendo has been pretty good about making sure characters sound consistant when they're forced to switch actors. Like when Ali Hillis was too busy to come do Palutena for Smash 4, and they managed to get a friend of hers that sounds exactly like her, or when Alexis Tipton took over as Lucina.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
There's basically details for a female, twin ring female Blade tied to the challenge mode in the game's code whose blade arts use lots of multi-hit attacks, so people are speculating it's Elma. The precedent is Shulk and Fiora were introduced as Challenge Mode-related Blades as well. Considering that XBX Nopon NPCs appear in the "This Year's Heropon" challenge alongside XB1 and 2 Nopon, and the game already has plenty of fanservice in the form of Saga and Blade 1 characters being Blades, it seems likely that Elma would get in as well. We'd see a Xenogears cameo if Square Enix was willing to play ball, lol. At least we get to see Tanaka's art style in 3d with a shading style that makes it work.
The real question is will her reveal be tied to anything else? They might not get Caitlin Glass back because she's Texas-based and the recording is done in England, but I think if Elma was in Smash they'd probably record the Blade lines and her Smash lines at the same session. If she's in I don't think they'd miss the chance to reveal her Smash appearance alongside her Blade cameo.

Here's hoping.
I mean if they're doing all this for the sake of fanservice you'd think they'd go out of their way to bring in the original voice actor right? Wast tatsu voiced? and if so who voiced him?

RandomAce

Smash Champion
! ! ! ! !

I predicted that just yesterday!

I really hope you can get to use her as your blade if you defeat her. We can have the whole Xenoblade crew in one game!

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I was like for Elma was going to be reveal in smash ultimate because Sakurai did buy a gun because Elma is one the characters that use a gun in Xenoblade X maybe it hints Elma for smash hope not assist trophy she so unique.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
I definitely support Elma - bought a used copy of XCX at Gamestop about a month ago and have been playing it on and off since. I'd be kind of surprised if she or Rex/Pyra didn't make it in.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Considering that Bayonetta's inclusion proves that guns are now allowed in Smash Brothers helps Elma's chances tremendously. And welcome to the Elma support group.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
There will be 2 updates before the next big update (1.6.0)

-1.5.1: Light katana Blade
-1.5.2: Fire bitball Blade & Elma

Does anyone know how often the DLC is updated? I'm guessing we'll get Elma in August, maybe?

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice

Does anyone know how often the DLC is updated? I'm guessing we'll get Elma in August, maybe?
I honestly don't care how she's put into XC2. Friendly Blade or enemy Blade, I'll just be glad to see her again.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’m so excited!!

Just imagine - Elma revealed as a DLC Blade, AND Rex, Pyra and Elma in Smash in the same direct. It couldn’t be more perfect!

D

Deleted member

Do we know what element Elma is? I'm assuming light but you never know. Someone else said she'd have the Twin Rings moveset, which would be kind of weird to use on Nia or 4 since I just cannot envision Elma with a heal art. Maybe they'd change it to some kind of Blood Sacrifice-esque attack where she fills the Blade Special meter at the cost of some health? That's way more of an alteration than anything they've done before but if she did get a heal art that'd be great for her viability. Either way I'm psyched since this past week with XC2 has been glorious with Shulk and Fiora, but now there's a chance we get Elma too? I'm already giddy just thinking about it!

And yes, they do usually do monthly updates. iirc New Game+ was in March, Poppibuster/T-elos were in late April, and even though they skipped May we just got a big update last week so I think we'd see this one in late July or early August as the last update before the Torna DLC drops on September 14th.

Edit: I somehow managed to forget July exists.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Do we know what element Elma is? I'm assuming light but you never know. Someone else said she'd have the Twin Rings moveset, which would be kind of weird to use on Nia or 4 since I just cannot envision Elma with a heal art. Maybe they'd change it to some kind of Blood Sacrifice-esque attack where she fills the Blade Special meter at the cost of some health? That's way more of an alteration than anything they've done before but if she did get a heal art that'd be great for her viability. Either way I'm psyched since this past week with XC2 has been glorious with Shulk and Fiora, but now there's a chance we get Elma too? I'm already giddy just thinking about it!
Also, what appearance would she take on? Her default Mimeosome appearance, or her true form at the end of chapter 12? Seeing as how Fiora is in her Homs form as opposed to her more spoilerific (and subsequently iconic) cyborg form.

D

Deleted member

Also, what appearance would she take on? Her default Mimeosome appearance, or her true form at the end of chapter 12? Seeing as how Fiora is in her Homs form as opposed to her more spoilerific (and subsequently iconic) cyborg form.
If it's only one she'd be in her mimeosome form since it's more recognizable, but I think we'd actually get both. I'd cite spoilers for Fiora, but since X2 is a thing, a game that will almost certainly go into Elma's backstory and the fact that she's already seen in her true form around random Blade operatives in X's epilogue, her true form will probably have to be made public knowledge anyway. Monolith's fanservice has been on point recently with the ever requested Disguised Pyra costume (besides the fact that it's adorable it solves literally every issue I have with her design so I'm never taking it off), Shulk + Fiora, and the Heropon challenge battle. By pressing Y on Pyra in the Driver/Blade overview you can make her change to Mythra, which is how I'd assume they'd pull of Elma's costume change unless they tied it to an Aux core like the ones in the latest update, but those weren't meant to be an option to begin with unlike what they'd do with Elma. And it's not like Fiora can change between Homs and cyborg at will.

Last edited by a moderator:

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
I can just imagine her final smash. The iconic cutscene suiting up in your Skell for the first time. yesssss
I think her true form would be an alternate costume in Smash. Sakurai has never really cared for spoilers

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Wow, this is really good news.
I think I'm gonna hold out on playing that part of the update until we get the X port on the Switch.
Hope it's announced around the same time.

Top Bottom