• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EPIC KIRBY DITTO FFA BATTLE OF DEATH: MATCHUP CHART v3 EDTION

Hey everyone, I’m Dan, and in absence of our great overlord Kewkky, I will be leading Kirby's character panel for the BBR Match-Up Chart v3! The thread detailing panel leaders, as well as other various information about the project, can be found here.

The current panelists for this panel are:
Dan
(empty - this could be you!)

We are limited to five panelists for this project, and are looking for active and knowledgeable members of the character community to help fill our remaining openings. If you would like to join the panel for this character, please make a post demonstrating your interest in this thread, along with what would make you a desirable panelist. Keep in mind that debating skills are important for all panel members, and those with poor behavior will be ejected from the project if complaints arise.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding this panel or its activities, feel free to post them in this thread. You may also PM me or Ishieymoro if you would rather speak to one of us privately. Panelist selections will be finalized in a week or two, at which point we will begin discussing which match-ups to change in the panelist subforum.

Labernash

Smash Lord
I am interested! I would like to be a panelist. I have pretty good Match-Up knowledge, as well as good debating skills. And I use good grammar.

:phone:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Would like to give it a go. Props, Danny.

I have decent a knowledge and would like to go further on by joining this.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Raptor with that pocket Kirby! :laugh:

I'd like to give this a shot! I've done some good match-up experimenting along with some dedicated experience. I'm not where I want to be but seeing matches through and through with only Kirby then I'd say I have some good inputs given a broad amount of match-ups. As far as active knowledgable Kirbies go, I don't know where they went :( Anyway, I'd nominate T!Mmy as well, for his frame knowledge and level headed thinking. I'd nominate falln as too. I'm sure he'll be able to put in some good thought for Kirby in competative play. I'd call out Kappy because reading his ideas and reasons were always really interesting, but he's disappeared, too. :(

falln

Smash Ace
my matchup perceptions are pretty different from popular opinion and i didn't like the process last time for resolving # disagreements so i'll pass

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
Might as well try, I post my opinions on MUs somewhat often in the Kirby social thread, so might as well actually post them in an MU discussion thread.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
my matchup perceptions are pretty different from popular opinion and i didn't like the process last time for resolving # disagreements so i'll pass
I'm like... 95%+ positive that we won't resolve disagreements the same way as last time. Because nobody wants to deal with that lol. Just sayin', if that's your only reason for passing I'd reconsider :)

:059:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I will help if asked to help, but I echo the same sentiments as Falln. It seems that opinion that goes against the norm is balked rather than praised, even if it comes from a credible and sound source.

I would like to request that the process of discussion be presented here for us to look over before anyone jumps in to volunteer their time to it. That would answer important questions ahead of time, such as the above about how disagreements are resolved.

Triple R

Smash Lord
I lurk every day, but that's what I like to do lol.

I probably wouldn't be that active in the matchup discussion. I'd be down if you really really needed people to fill in the spots. Otherwise choose people who plan to be really active and are excited about it.

I was hoping that I could make this a 6 member panel since I'm more oriented at organizing and leading panels, not discussing match-ups. I can contact Kappy directly and see if he'll join. He was in the group last time, his assistance would be valuable.

As for your last post Timmy, I'll badger Ish some more so he'll tell us how match-ups are gonna be done.

I would like to request that the process of discussion be presented here for us to look over before anyone jumps in to volunteer their time to it. That would answer important questions ahead of time, such as the above about how disagreements are resolved.
So a lot of this is going to be similar to last time. You weren't there last time, so I'll explain it for you.

Each character has a panel, and that panel decides what they collectively think the MU ratio is for each character (by themselves). Once that's done, BBR leadership will find which ratios have a discrepancy (ex. Kirby's think Falco is 0, but Falcos think Kirby is +1). They'll give each discrepancy its own thread and have the two panels discuss the match-up and produce a ratio under a certain deadline. If the two panels are able to reach a conclusion, then good. If they can produce a write-up, even better.

What happened last year though was that not all panels were able to reach a verdict (neither side budged/not enough participation/etc.). MUs that suffered this fate had the discussion passed on to a last resort panel, where people that were considered to have a good enough understanding of each character were gathered to decide the MUs that could not be decided.

The aim is to avoid this at all costs because that **** sucks. Panels will probably have to vote democratically or think of some other way to settle things if it simply cannot be decided any other way.

TL;DR- It's like your everyday MU Discussions but with hand-selected members and you're forced to actually agree on a ratio.

Ideally I would like it if all the old members came back for another round of this since I know through history that they'll do well, but no matter what I'm going to have to add some fresh meat.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Again, We can help out on this. We've discussed about kirby in different matchup thread, including wario, who is now a slightly even match-up for us (Many were at -1 and 0, yet concluded as 0 in the end).

If there's a person willing to help out on the kirby MU though, I might suggest C.J.

GIMB

Smash Rookie
I can help on Kirby matchups. I'm knowledgeable on many of the matchups.

Deven3000

MikeKirby Sucks
Me and Mike are always talking about Kirby's MU's at my smashfests so this would just make it more official lol.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Deven and I are always talking about and sharing match-up knowledge. Just the other day we spent 3 hours talking about nothing else but Kirby's match-ups! He's played and held smashfests that has held very well known people. He's just so under the radar. :laugh:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I can see how the accuracy of such an endeavor can be a tremendous challenge. It's not so much gathering the data and presenting a collective body of knowledge that's difficult as it is getting everyone to come to a consensus over minor details.

I think a project like this could be fun and even insightful to someone interested in match-up theory. I, however, feel that I might not mesh well with an entire panel of other players who are tossing opinions around at each other - that kind of project wouldn't be something I would find desirable. I would like to help in some capacity, though. I think maybe some sort of role as mediator would be a lot of fun. I would love to help people come to decisions and cooperate more than jump into the fray myself.

Labernash

Smash Lord
Sounds good enough for me!! I'm well versed in the Match-ups for Kirby; write ups are easy for me too.

I can see how the accuracy of such an endeavor can be a tremendous challenge. It's not so much gathering the data and presenting a collective body of knowledge that's difficult as it is getting everyone to come to a consensus over minor details.

I think a project like this could be fun and even insightful to someone interested in match-up theory. I, however, feel that I might not mesh well with an entire panel of other players who are tossing opinions around at each other - that kind of project wouldn't be something I would find desirable. I would like to help in some capacity, though. I think maybe some sort of role as mediator would be a lot of fun. I would love to help people come to decisions and cooperate more than jump into the fray myself.
Can't be stealing my job man. :mad:
If you don't want in then that's fair.

Rizner

Smash Ace
If you need more people I'd be interested in this. While I'm not well versed in all matchups, if there aren't others better qualified I do think I could help.

Experience with Kirby: Mostly Tampa smash-fests and been to a few tournaments out in Arizona.

I picked the team for the MU chart. You can see it here. Please remember that if you weren't chosen, it's because you suck but don't swallow, and I only pick Kirbys who do both I took a quality over quantity approach, only picking the top Kirby players who volunteered. Thank you all for showing interest in the project, the support is very appreciated. Here's hoping the MU Chart doesn't explode into millions of pieces this time around. *raises drink*

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
Why isn't t1mmy on the list? IMO he's one of the best Kirby players who posts on these boards, he has mutliple wins over t0mmy (his MK, but still) who is a nationally known player, I THINK t1mmy's also ranked in Oregon too. Did he ask not to be on it or something? 2:30 AM, don't feel like looking through this thread. XD

Also...

I CALL FOR A SPOT ON THE LIST IF I BEAT MIKEKIRBY IN OUR $50 MM AT APEX!

...Which...

Probably won't happen... XD

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
The list looks pretty good, I think you made some good decisions with your choices Dan.

@Kawaii Poyo
Thanks for the kind words, but I'm taking a pass on the position since it's not my cup of tea. I feel like the players chosen will be able to work together well enough to do an exemplary job.

Btw, it's hard NOT to be ranked in Oregon. XD
This is why t0mmy and I have traveled the nation over playing in tournaments across the country.

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
I'm sure getting ranked in Oregon is harder than MD/VA at least. I'm 9th and did like... Nothing last season. I beat TC1 (who was ranked 8th last season, now 10th I believe) and... That's it. The rest were people I was easily expected to beat. IMO I did pretty poorly last season, so when I saw I was on PR, it was a WTFish moment for me. XD

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'm sure getting ranked in Oregon is harder than MD/VA at least.
I have no clue, but I guess it depends. Most rankings list the top 10 players, so you have to look at the ratio of 'good' players in comparison to 10 spots. I would say Oregon has about 7 'good' players that show up to tournaments consistently, so that leaves the bottom 3 spots open for 'easy' rankings.

Come to NY t!MmY!!
What, again? XD
Let's work on getting the TSA out of the stations first and then we can discuss travel arrangements.

I feel like this thread is getting side-tracked, now. >_>

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
MD/VA has like... No good players right now (except maybe Seagull he's getting better and NEO when he's on a day where he beats Dabuz. June's amazing but he quit. =/) but other than that, MD/VA can't make any notable placements at nationals, our highest recently was 25th at both Apex 2012 and SKTAR. =/

Also t1mmy, are you going to Apex? Just meet him there if he is MikeKirby. XD

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I suppose that's subjective, but it's usually a good idea to proclaim who is 'better' than to proclaim who is worse. There's no merit in being better than someone who is bad, after all.

@Kawaii Poyo
I would love to go to Apex but travel across the nation is a very trying experience... at least when traveling via bus. It's like sitting upright constantly for a week while confined to very cramped conditions. :\

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Funny story, I found out not too long after getting back home that I almost died on my way to MLG Columbus. Okay, I guess that wasn't a very funny story but I at least find it amusing to this very day.

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
You almost died on your way to MLG Columbus... But didn't know it until after? Was there a car crash or something in the highway you took and you just missed it and didn't know until you read about the crash later or something?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
It wasn't something as quick and painless as a car crash, unfortunately.

It was the second or third day of bus travel when I started feeling pains in my stomach and I began to get very cold. I'm the type of person who takes pain and stuff quietly so I decided to tough it out. Besides, I was stuck on a Greyhound bus for at least a few more days so I couldn't seek medical assistance even if I wanted to.

Fortunately we made a stop in Indianapolis at Count's place where I got to lie down under a blanket. The pain in my stomach was quite excruciating and I couldn't even keep down water. Even though I didn't sleep a wink that night I was feeling a little better by the time we caught our bus the next morning. I still couldn't eat anything, but by that night I was able to take small sips of water again.

When we finally made it to Columbus we stayed at Sneaytako's place. I was really weak since I had very little water/sleep and no food and I told him I wasn't feeling very well. My memory is a bit fuzzy around this time, but I remember telling him that I thought I had eaten some natto* that had gone bad. The look on his face told me that it was more serious than I had thought. He told me "You can die from that."

*natto is an uncooked, fermented soy product.

I thought he was just using hyperbole, but apparently it's true. After pushing myself through playing Smash the next couple days, I took the looong bus ride back home. I think it was at least a couple days of sleep before I got around to looking up what type of food poisoning you can get from natto. Apparently the food poisoning you get from uncooked, fermented foods is botulism.

Now you can find a lot of info on the internet - I found out that botulism used to have a 50% mortality rate before modern medical care but it is now reduced to about 7% with modern hospitalization - but there was no mention of what your chances of dying from botulism are in the back of a Greyhound bus. :\

I like to think that Count and Sneakytaco might have saved my life. :) Count gave me water and a couch to lie down on; Sneakytaco gave me Japanese medicine (miso soup).

I'm also surprised at how well t0mmy and I played in MLG (t0mmy especially since he got hit with botulism poisoning the very day of MLG). I remember we would be found on the floor between matches trying to recover our energy. XD

That story was a bit long, but it certainly was a memorable trip.

tl;dr

Top Bottom