• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Epic Mickey

BBQTV

Smash Master
that would have been fun but forgotten disney characters rising against mickey may not be all bad

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Why does the core like Okami so much?

It bombed at retail, had subpar combat motion controls on the wii, and wasn't very good at staying consistently interesting to the end. It was also fairly niche, relying on tons of Japanese folklore that fails to make an impression on any non-japanese audience. Any game like Okami would fail to gain mainstream approval.
This starts out bad, because I'm not a hardcore gamer. I'm just a gamer. You're a gamer, that grandma who plays her Wii every Saturday evening is a gamer, Mew2King is a gamer, and your soccer mom neighbor is a gamer. Get rid of that silly notion of a hardcore/casual divide.

Secondly, I liked Okami because it was fun. I don't care if it didn't do good at retail - It was a really, really fun game. Just saying that I wish this game would take after it, seeing as they're using painting. A game with Disney attached to it will not sell bad, given it's advertised a bit. I also played Okami on the PS2, and have never touched the Wii version.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
This starts out bad, because I'm not a hardcore gamer. I'm just a gamer. You're a gamer, that grandma who plays her Wii every Saturday evening is a gamer, Mew2King is a gamer, and your soccer mom neighbor is a gamer. Get rid of that silly notion of a hardcore/casual divide.

Secondly, I liked Okami because it was fun. I don't care if it didn't do good at retail - It was a really, really fun game. Just saying that I wish this game would take after it, seeing as they're using painting. A game with Disney attached to it will not sell bad, given it's advertised a bit. I also played Okami on the PS2, and have never touched the Wii version.
Yes we are all gamers, but you are kidding yourself if you think their isn't a divide between those who want simple fun games and those who want advances in how games were previously. And M2K a gamer like everyone? The guy freaking makes factual stat lists for so many games. Weight lists, speed lists, fall speed lists, reaction to "X" lists, etc.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master

I don't like the word "hardcore," nor do I use it. I do use the word "core," because it describes a certain group of people - the part fo the fanbase that contributes the most to system software sales. Having more than douple the number of games than the average wii attach rate, I consider myself a core gamer. The same goes for the average Xbox 360 owner - the attach rate is above 8, which indicates that a large number of the Xbox 360 owners are "core," as a large number own at least 8 games. However, unlike the steriotype of a hardcore, I dislike most console FPS's and complex controls and do not find many games on the 360 I would enjoy. Thus, I am core, but not hardcore.

I have played the wii version of okami, meaning the controls for the paintbrush were good but I was stuck with using rosaries because I didn't like the controls of the other weapon types. And I hold nothing against it. However, any game that is made to be like Okami will never catch on. The art style is novelty, and is not fundamentally better than more typical art styles after the novelty wears off. The game demands a strong knowledge of Japanese culture from which it attempts to make players nostalgic. It was quirky and inaccessible, and games like Okami will never have sequels because they too will be quirky and inaccessible.

(EDIT: Although, if there is a word to describe fans of Okami, it might be hardcore. There were only a couple hundred thousand copies of the game sold, and it was critically acclaimed. It is a typical true hardcore game, even in that it flopped on the wii in spite of the many compliments it received from its fanbase.)

Darkslash

Smash Master
Painting?!
painting?!

That is just frustrating.
Painting...there goes my hopes for this game =/
How is this frustrating by the way. I'm actually surprised, and I'm going to welcome the painting/Drawing aspect. Why? ITS DISNEY. A company built up on animation.

Plus its going back to its roots. Oswald the rabbit vs Mickey Mouse.

Actually I'm was thinking that Oswald some how kills Mickey and or his friends, takes the color out, and makes this hellish nightmare as king. His twisted ideal of a black and white world, where he and not mickey is king

BBQTV

Smash Master
i think its a future were mickey becomes a tyrant and makes the disney characters his slave and they rebel. what would walt say if he saw this?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
How is this frustrating by the way. I'm actually surprised, and I'm going to welcome the painting/Drawing aspect. Why? ITS DISNEY. A company built up on animation.

Plus its going back to its roots. Oswald the rabbit vs Mickey Mouse.

Actually I'm was thinking that Oswald some how kills Mickey and or his friends, takes the color out, and makes this hellish nightmare as king. His twisted ideal of a black and white world, where he and not mickey is king
I got he impression you play as mickey, so I doubt he is getting killed off

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
There really isn't enough information to make any assumptions about what this game will be like. It could be an RTS, considering the lack of detail we have recieved so far on how the painting aspect works.

Although I first thought of Drawn to Life when I heard about painting.

Darkslash

Smash Master
i think its a future were mickey becomes a tyrant and makes the disney characters his slave and they rebel. what would walt say if he saw this?
The story CVG describes had better be the real story. "We've also been told that it'll be based around very old and/or forgotten Disney characters who are out to get their revenge on Mickey," according to the site, "presumably because they're jealous of all his fame and fortune." Lending credence to this storyline is the fact that Oswald the Lucky Rabbit can be seen on the rocket in the above artwork.
Its Walt Disney's first kids going to kill the kid that made them obscure in Disney history.

There really isn't enough information to make any assumptions about what this game will be like. It could be an RTS, considering the lack of detail we have recieved so far on how the painting aspect works.
Today, CVG has posted some info from an anonymous source about the design of the game, which makes it sound kind of Okami-like, in that player interact with levels by painting directly onto them with the Wii Remote. "This 'painting your way' involves you drawing, etching and erasing whole or parts of levels as you go." Unsurprisingly, given the reliance on the pointer, CVG says the game is a Wii exclusive.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Today, CVG has posted some info from an anonymous source about the design of the game, which makes it sound kind of Okami-like, in that player interact with levels by painting directly onto them with the Wii Remote. "This 'painting your way' involves you drawing, etching and erasing whole or parts of levels as you go." Unsurprisingly, given the reliance on the pointer, CVG says the game is a Wii exclusive.
Exactly - it sounds like an RTS to me.

Maybe the better example would be lemmings. It sounds like you dramatically alter levels to help ground troops succeed. At least, that's what it sounded like to me.

Actually, a game that's one part Drawn to Life, one part lemmings, and one part RTS could be an interesting - but possibly niche - game.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
I didn't think of it that way.

I'm a little concerned that it won't have much universal appeal. Disney is known for being nice, G-rated, and colorful while this looks quite like hell.
Well the "Core" story of kh is pretty dark.

But the so called story of "epic mickey" Sounds amazing

As for the story, we've also been told that it'll be based around very old and/or forgotten Disney characters who are out to get their revenge on Mickey, presumably because they're jealous of all his fame and fortune.

If that is the actual story and they stay true to the concept art this may very well be contender for goty!

Also as much as i love the concept art so far it completely shocks me how disney would allow this but wouldn't allow SE to have their chars fight. As some may know dissidia was originally going to be a KH fighter but disney wouldn't allow their chars to fight each other. IM SO MAD!!!! I def would prefer a kh dissidia over a FF dissidia. I could of finally got my axel vs riku.

When there were rumors about Warren Specter creating a "Mario-killer" starring Mickey Mouse, I expected something like Magical Quest in 3D. Not this.

Still the concept art is amazing. Here's hoping mickey is just as or even more badass in this game then he is in kingdom hearts!

This could either be THE best thing or THE worst thing Disney has ever funded.

Looks good so far, though.

More epic then anything in KH and im a KH groupie.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Still the concept art is amazing. Here's hoping mickey is just as or even more badass in this game then he is in kingdom hearts!

that looks awesome
I don't know what that looks like.

Darth Vader Mickey meets the stairway to nowhere painting? Donald reminds me of Cloud from final fantasy VII.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I could be worse. You should see the crossover-fanfictions. They're just Nightmare Fuel: High Octane!
I don't think that it's a good sign when you're immediately comparing a game to aweful fanfictions using only concept art.

Now mind you, I love the idea of crossover fiction. In fact, one day I would love to see someone do a successful published parody of all the different cultural icons, ranging from Superman and Star Wars to Mickey Mouse and Winnie the Pooh. I have just never seen it done well.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm so ridiculously excited about this. It's like the Majora's Mask of the Disney-verse: pitting the main, unchanged character against an opposite, darker world.

I love love love love love this.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I got extremely excited when I looked at the picture of zombie Goofy or w/e. For some reason it was kinda creepy to think about. A possible nightmarish/hellish disney world? Then I started wondering if this would be some sort of adventure game. Started getting excited then...

I read that this game centers around "painting"...

WE DONT WANT PAINTINGS!!! WE WANT TO RIP SOME DISNEY ZOMBIES APART WITH SOME AK47's!!!:mad: (ok maybe not the last part) :urg:

/rant

Spire

III
BRoomer
I got extremely excited when I looked at the picture of zombie Goofy or w/e. For some reason it was kinda creepy to think about. A possible nightmarish/hellish disney world? Then I started wondering if this would be some sort of adventure game. Started getting excited then...

I read that this game centers around "painting"...

WE DONT WANT PAINTINGS!!! WE WANT TO RIP SOME DISNEY ZOMBIES APART WITH SOME AK47's!!!:mad: (ok maybe not the last part) :urg:

/rant
I love painting.

Again, this is and will be a bizarrely awesome game. 15/10

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559

As for the story, we've also been told that it'll be based around very old and/or forgotten Disney characters who are out to get their revenge on Mickey, presumably because they're jealous of all his fame and fortune.

If that is the actual story and they stay true to the concept art this may very well be contender for goty!
Sorry for the double post but I just wanted to add that this game is WAAAAAY too early in development to even be thinking about GotY.

The story and art may end up being great, but there are just too many other factors that go into considering if a game is GotY worthy or not (the most important being the game play itself, which we are far from seeing at this point in time).

I'm interested in seeing how this game turns out though, so I'm gonna keep an eye out on it for sure.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
Wow, I never expected to see something like this for Mickey Mouse. The concept art is amazing.

This could turn out to be an interesting development.

day-day

Smash Ace
Well the "Core" story of kh is pretty dark.

Also as much as i love the concept art so far it completely shocks me how disney would allow this but wouldn't allow SE to have their chars fight. As some may know dissidia was originally going to be a KH fighter but disney wouldn't allow their chars to fight each other. IM SO MAD!!!! I def would prefer a kh dissidia over a FF dissidia. I could of finally got my axel vs riku.

When there were rumors about Warren Specter creating a "Mario-killer" starring Mickey Mouse, I expected something like Magical Quest in 3D. Not this.

Boy does Donald have a score to settle with Mickey. Something must have been happening at King Mickey's castle

BBQTV

Smash Master
well mickey asked for some money didn't pay it back and donald got pissed

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Just found out about it. At first I was scared... Actually, I still am scared, but at the same time, I'm intrigued by the idea. I can't wait to hear more, when more info comes.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Has anyone seen the picture of the large boat with the destroyed Disney World on it? I don't think I've seen it in this thread but it's got the Epcot Globe all fractured with missing pieces and a bunch of other Disney World landmarks (possibly Disney Land as well but I've never been so I wouldn't recognize them.)

I was really creepy.

Oh wait it's a game about painting with your Wii remote...I think I'll pass.

Top Bottom