• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Epita Smash Arena 3 - April 11&12, 2009 - Paris, France - Melee !

Tero.

Smash Champion
Poilon and I went to the meeting with Cycom this evening.
To be honest, I was surprised, and in a good way. Cycom seems to have improved a lot their way of hosting LAN and tournaments, and I must say that for the first time since I announced this tournament, I'm pretty confident we can do something good.
I'm way too tired to add updates and everything in this post now, so I'll just post it when I'll wake up tomorrow.

If you don't know what to do while you wait... register on Cycom's website if you didn't. It's absolutely mandatory in order to attend the tournament !
Wow, sounds great.
This is going to be ****.

Oh and don't forget to
register on Cycom's website if you didn't. It's absolutely mandatory in order to attend the tournament !

porc

Smash Journeyman
Slhoka's report :

As I said, I had a meeting with Cycom and Poilon yesterday, and here are a few updates about ESA3.

First, what we’ll have to play !
We’ll have at least 32 setups, which will allow the tournament to be run pretty quickly.
And for those who fear about ESA2 syndrome, you’ll be relieved to know that all TVs will be CRT, we won’t have flatscreens. No lag this time.

Some general things about the tournament :

I planned the tournament for 128 players. To be honest I don’t think we’ll have that much players but we’ll have enough to handle that many people, and a few more.
Assuming we have 128 players :
The singles tournament will start with 16 pools of 8 players. Top 4 goes to a 64-man bracket.
Doubles tournament will be similar : 16 pools of 4 teams, top 2 goes to 32-team bracket.

Planning :

Friday :

The venue will open at 21h. Don’t come earlier if you don’t want to wait outside.
You’ll be able to freeplay as much as you want during Friday night, nothing is planned, but I may organize a few little tournaments for fun. Just do whatever you want, but we’ll have to get up early, so don’t play too much if you don’t want to sleep during singles.
However, we won’t take care of your stuff on friday night, so keep them with you.
One or maybe two rooms will be at your disposal so you can rest.

Saturday :

7h30 : We wake everyone up ! You will take all your stuff, and gather in Epita’s entry hall.
8h00 : Registration start. We take the setups you bring (details about that somewhere below in this post. Just scroll down). As soon as you are registered and everything, you can go freeplay until registration is over..
10h00 : Registration is over. We gather everyone somewhere (probably in front of Epita like last year, assuming the wheather is good), and we make a little speech about general rules and tournament rules. And maybe some other stuff, we’ll see what we’ll have to say. Then, pools are announced, and the tournament starts.
10h30 : Pools start.
12h30 : Pause for lunch.
14h00 : Pools continue.
15h30 : Pools should be over.
16h00 : Singles bracket begins.
19h00 : Diner break. Singles should already be at the quarters finals, both winners and loosers brackets and then put in standby.
20h30 : Regionals (or any related crew tournaments, we'll discuss it according to the number of foreigners present).
23h00 : End of the day, you may either do some freeplay during the whole night or go to bed, or do whatever you want, it's up to you

Sunday :

9h00 : We wake you up.
10h30 : Pools for the Teams tournament start
11h30 : End of Pools, Teams bracket should be starting.
12h30 : Lunch Break.
13h30 : Teams bracket keeps going.
16h00 : End of the Teams bracket. Singles bracket gets back on tracks.
19h00 : Theoric end of Singles bracket!
19h30 : Reward ceremony.
21h at max : ESA3 is over, get out !

Some explanations about this schedule:
Splitting the singles bracket in two might be shocking you, but the tournament is going to last very long. Indeed, if pools are done quick enough, I plan to start the bracket with best of 5, at least for the singles. But it may only happens if everything is going fine. The main advantage is keeping the finals for the end (next after the Teams bracket) so it may have the greatest ambiance ever lasting for a moment =D.
Why are we having tiny pools for the teams tournament? And why should we do the teams tournament on sunday and not on saturday? In fact, the pools will allow teams to play at least 3 differents matches before getting eliminated, in the Bracket 1/4 of the teams will be eliminated in 2 matches. And it's happening on Sunday so people may have some times to watch other players matches and do some freeplay.
This schedule may change depending on how smoothly the tournaments will be run.

About the rules:

Singles:
  • No items.
  • 4 stocks limit.
  • Time limit: 7 minutes.
  • Allowed stages: Final Destination, Dreamland 64, Pokémon Stadium, Yoshi Story, and Fountain of dreams are allowed in the Random stage selection. Battlefield, Jungle Kongo 64 are allowed for counterpicking.
  • Pools will be held in best of 3.
  • Pools results are there to qualify you and to choose who you're going to fight in the bracket.
  • Bracket will be a Double-elimination one.
  • Most part of the bracket will be held in best of 5. The best of 3 tours and the best of 7 tours will be depending on how smoothly the tournaments will be run and will be known by all of you to avoid any errors.
  • Both of the players have to choose their respective characters at the same time. A referee may be asked.
  • The first stage will be random, and will feature one of the stages enumerated above.
  • Once the first match is done, the looser has to choose the next stage, then the winner has to choose his character and finally the looser chooses his character.
  • DSR enabled (the looser cannot select the last stage that granted him victory).
  • PSR enabled (you have to be hasty when deciding your character and the stage).
  • Wobbling is forbidden.
  • Stage banning is currently discussed and will be decided by a poll.

Teams:
  • No items.
  • 4 stocks limit.
  • Time limit: 7 minutes.
  • Friendly Fire enabled.
  • Allowed stages: Final Destination, Dreamland 64, Pokémon Stadium, Yoshi Story, and Battle field are allowed in the Random stage selection. Jungle Kongo 64 is allowed for counterpicking.
  • Pools will be held in best of 3.
  • Pools results are there to qualify you and to choose who you're going to fight.
  • Bracket will be a Double-elimination one.
  • Most part of the bracket will be held in best of 5. The best of 3 tours and the best of 7 tours will be depending on how smoothly the tournaments will be run and will be known by all of you to avoid any errors.
  • Both of the teams have to choose their respective characters at the same time. A referee may be asked.
  • The first stage will be random, and will feature one of the stages enumerated above.
  • Once the first match is done, the loosers' team has to choose the next stage, then the winners' team has to choose their characters and finally the loosers' team chooses their characters.
  • DSR enabled (the looser cannot select the last stage that granted him victory).
  • PSR enabled (you have to be hasty when deciding your characters and the stage).
  • Wobbling is forbidden
  • Stage banning is currently discussed and will be decided by a poll

Crews :

Crews' rules will be depending on the number of foreigners present.
As for everything else, rules are pretty much the same as the singles rules with one difference : Every match will be played on random stages.

Food:

Cycom will hold a stand where you will be able to buy foods and drinks.
But you can also bring your own food, it's up to you.

Entrance Fee:

The admission charge is set to 30 euros. It includes the 2 days, your participation to both tournaments and may as well includes your admission to crews if you are chosen. You can freeplay as much as you want. And of course, you get to be able to sleep in the school for friday's night and saturday's night.
The counterpart is that Cycom has decided to allow only one admission charge. It means you have to pay 30 euros no matter what you wanted to do (staying for one day, participating in only one tournament). It may looks expensive, but it's annoying to create a system with different admission charges.

Cash Prize :

At least 15 out of the 30 euros will be given back to the winners as rewards. This is only theory. In fact more than the half may be given back, but it depends on the TV's prices bought by Cycom.

Stuff/Personal belongings security:

Once you're registered (on Saturday morning), you'll be sent to a place where you will have to give the equipement you brought. It will be taged with your name and its serial number to avoid confusions. Then it will be installed in the tournaments rooms and duck taped to the tables so that it won't move.
After that, you'll be shown the locker room, where you'll give all of your stuff, which will also be taged. This means that when you'll enter the tournaments room, you'll only carry your controller and maybe some money to buy foods.
We won't allow you to take your bags with you to avoid stealings.
Locker room will be reachable regularly, and watched, to be sure you only take your stuff.
On sunday, process will be reversed, and your stuff will be given back to you for your departure. Please note that we will need your setups until 18-19h. Exceptions will be made for those who have to leave early.

This should answer to most of your questions. I'm sure I forgot some things, but feel free to ask whatever you want, and I'll try to answer it (probably on monday 'cause I'll be out for the week end). I'll edit the first post later.

In the meantime, don't forget to register on Cycom's website !

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Nice that you´ll allow Kongo Jungle 64, hopefully Armada gets his revenge against Amsah on that stage since last time on RoS4 ^_^

strawhats

Smash Master
Cant wait to see what unfolds at this tourney.

Patiently waits for vids 2 weeks in advance :laugh:

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Soooooooo, here are some news.

Housing :

Qlex's place :
  1. Marte
  2. Daisuki
  3. Ksta
  4. M
  5. Peyudosmith
  6. Aniolas
  7. Armada
  8. Cash Mooney
  9. Amsah
  10. Adam
  11. Faab
  12. Remen
  13. Zgetto
  14. Odaril (A Frenchie from the South of France, for those who'd wonder)

Slhoka's place :
  1. Dahean
  2. Over (?)
  3. Tero
  4. Yomi
  5. Matux
  6. Makkura
  7. Ice

Doraki's place :
  1. Ryuker

These lists are for Sunday evening only. For those who'll stay a bit longer, I couldn't find a combination where I could fit everyone in an house, but hopefully I'll come up with something like that within a few days.
They may change a bit, too, but I'll avoid it if I can. I'll send a PM to all of you with the adress of you host, how to reach his house and how to contact him.

I updated the first post with some informations which were in my last post (edit : which was actually posted by porc)

And as always, to finish my post :
Register on Cycom's website ! If you aren't on this list, you won't be able to enter the tournament.

For instance, here's a short list of players who said they'd be likely to come but aren't in the list :

Amsah
Adam
Remen
Over
Matux
Pamaro
K12 ?
kJab ?

Admit it, it would be pretty dumb to come in Paris and not be able to enter the tournament. So register ! And tell your friends to do so if they intend to come !

Edit : Am I stupid or can't I add a poll in the first post without the help of a mod ?

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
yaaaaay awesome! sunday's evening at qlex! nice slhoka ^^

btw, k-12 registered yesterday on cycom and he told me he's 99% coming too

Slhoka

Smash Lord
what about pools? 9 days left to the tournament
I can't do pools if all attendants aren't registered.
Let me explain : let's assume I create the pools today. Adam, Amsah, Remen, Qlex, Agony and Over aren't registered, even though they are supposed to come. I have two possibilities :
  • I do not include them in the seeding. However, if they show up, I can't include them in the pools without screwing up my whole seeding.
  • I do include them. However, if they don't show up, it screws up the whole seeding.

Therefore, I won't announce pools before the inscriptions are closed (that is, on Thursday the 9th, midnight). I means the pools should appear on Thursday, since I can be sure that no more people will register.
That's the reason why I tell everyone to register on Cycom's list.

And anyway, I fail to understand why many people need to know their pool way before the tournament. I mean, don't tell me you're gonna search each opponent's nickname on youtube and try to see what his/her strenghts or weaknesses are, and train in order counter them.

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
I won't go finally since I'm saving money for other things like super lion, but I wish good luck to every Spanish player, I hope Spain wins doubles again ^^

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
man i wouldve loved to come to this now, but its too late to book plane tickets, i cant find coach tickets and etc

next week is a UK tourney as well ~_~

Slhoka

Smash Lord
yeah Doraki's place is awesome believe me
Actually, he won't house you at his parent's place, but in his small appartment in Paris.
What's good : It's within Paris, really close from the venue.
What's bad : it's smaller, but well, it will be ok ;)

I'll send PM's to everyone who's housed by someone this evening.

captain smashie01

Smash Journeyman
just lurking, and i approve of this brakets split thing

it usually happens like that anway so having it planned out and accomodated for in advance is a good thing

Slhoka

Smash Lord
I just noticed you don't need to have the way to the place where you'll be housed, since on Friday, you need to go directly at the venue (not earlier than 9 pm, though, sorry about that).
The way to the venue is written in the first post.
If you're coming from a place not mentionned in the first post, use www.ratp.fr to find an itinerary. It's really useful to find which way you should take using public transports.

I also added my phone number in the first post, in cas you need to contact me.
I'm available pretty much all the time but on the most important day, that is to say Friday. You won't be able to reach me this day from 8 am to 6:30 pm since I'll be taking an exam. I'll find someone else who's available on this day, just in case.

I also got precisions about cash prizes. Cycom decided not to add anything to the 15€ out of 30 goind to the cass prize. They'll use the rest to buy TVs (CRT), and keep what's left for them.

And finally, I'd like to remind everyone that registrations will be closed in two days. If you haven't registered on Cycom's ESA3 player list (see 1st post) or haven't told me directly that you'll attend*, you have until thursday, midnight to register.

*You can contact me through e-mail, PM, msn, aim, phone, or homing pigeon. Guess that will be enough.

Edit :
just lurking, and i approve of this brakets split thing

it usually happens like that anway so having it planned out and accomodated for in advance is a good thing
Weeeeeeeell... actually, I'm thinkingabout changing that. Because according to my calculations, saturday tournament matches would be over pretty early, while sunday would be a really busy day.
I'm not really sure at the moment, I'll keep you updated about that.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
Can anybody near Qlex's house take the 6 of for like 5 hours until Qlex gets back from school? We get to Paris at about 11 AM by bus, and we really don't want to wait 5 hours somewhere doing nothing x_x

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Can anybody near Qlex's house the 6 for like 5 hours until Qlex gets back from school? We get to Paris at about 11 AM by bus, and we really don't want to wait 5 hours somewhere doing nothing x_x
Maybe you could visit Paris ?
I guess you don't come in Paris only to play video games :embarrass

Oh well.
I'll ask.

alucard.ec

Smash Apprentice
Good luck Spain also the documental I did about epita II was broadcasted already I´m gonna try to upload it soon..

Also where i can find the seeds?

Slhoka

Smash Lord
120 players, and registrations are closed ! We won't accept any more player, unless he has a good reason (like he's coming from far and just found cheap tickets today).

Good luck Spain also the documental I did about epita II was broadcasted already I´m gonna try to upload it soon..
Yay ! I was wondering about that a few days ago =p

Also where i can find the seeds?
I just finished the pools. I'm gonna review it with Poilon today, and I should post them this evening.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Can we pay the fee at the door, or is paypal the only option?
You can pay it at the door. Just try to have the exact amount if you can, because it's a pain to give change to everyone, and it slows down the registrations.

K12 : I'll do what I can. You'll be housed on sunday evening for sure. But til the 16th, I really have no idea at the moment.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Important notice !
Like last year, Cycom decided to pull out administrative papers at the last moment.

If you have reached age of of majority, you only have to fill this paper.

If you are underage, your parents or whoever is taking care of you needs to sign this one.
(in addition to the first one).

For those who aren't underage but can't obtain a signature from their parents, don't worry, I'll see with cycom to solve this problem. But those who can, please make it, it will make things waaaaaaay easier.

Those who aren't underage will be able to fill the paper by them at the venue, but if you can do it before coming, to it, it will save some time.

Thanks a lot.

I'll post pools tonight.

Edit : It's ok, the problem for underage players is solved. But if you can have it signed, please do it !

PS : Amsah, call me ASAP.

Sei Shin Casios

Smash Cadet
i donno, my brother wanted to ask shloka if its possible but he didn't told me the answer. i just send him a message and tell you what he said as soon as possible (if he did not switched his mobile off, he is always dong that.. arghs xD).
if there is a livestream i guess it will be at yomi-no-kuni/yumes account, same as at smack.

*edit: no livestream this time ;_; but yomi placed secound in his pool xD

Top Bottom