• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Equipment Directory

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I can't contribute myself, unfortunately! It might be that this topic doesn't make a huge amount of headway until the game releases in the west, since there doesn't seem to be huge interest in equipment in general.

EDIT: OP UPDATED
I guess I would've thought that more Japanese players would cover this kind of topic.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
I guess I would've thought that more Japanese players would cover this kind of topic.
It's weird, a lot of people on these boards seemed to place an immediate stigma on equipment. Even on Twitch streams, I see a lot of players just ignoring it; might be that there's just too much of a language barrier for some people.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's weird, a lot of people on these boards seemed to place an immediate stigma on equipment. Even on Twitch streams, I see a lot of players just ignoring it; might be that there's just too much of a language barrier for some people.
The translations are probably one of the problems if some of the equipment names are not accurate.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I just wanted to make sure all of my information on how custom equipment works is correct. Can anyone confirm this?

1.) Every character can equip badges, but the more powerful badges the player can not use as many of at the same time. (or something like that?)

2.) Each character can only equip one item for each section which are Attack, Defense, and Speed. For example, DK can only have one Banana, one Necktie, and one Mushroom.

Does that mean that any character can have three of their specific items and then as many badges as they can hold? Or would it be possible for an Attack Badge to take up DK's banana slot? I'm really confused. :(

Last edited:

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
I just wanted to make sure all of my information on how custom equipment works is correct. Can anyone confirm this?

1.) Every character can equip badges, but the more powerful badges the player can not use as many of at the same time. (or something like that?)

2.) Each character can only equip one item for each section which are Attack, Defense, and Speed. For example, DK can only have one Banana, one Necktie, and one Mushroom.

Does that mean that any character can have three of their specific items and then as many badges as they can hold? Or would it be possible for an Attack Badge to take up DK's banana slot? I'm really confused. :(
For the first one, I'm not sure. I don't have the game yet unfortunately. @ fractalWizard fractalWizard , can you shed any light on this?
For the second one, I think in Smash Run, characters can equip a bunch of stuff, but in character creation they can only equip one each of their three main equipment types.

Also, HUGE update. Massive list of effects added to post #2

fractalWizard

Smash Rookie
You have a maximum of 3 equipment slots. You can put anything you can equip put in that slot there, pure and simple.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You have a maximum of 3 equipment slots. You can put anything you can equip put in that slot there, pure and simple.
I think he's more asking if you're only allowed to use one equipment part that boosts a certain stat. For example, if you equip the Power Gloves, you can't equip another attack boosting equipment part.

RCyclone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rcyclone
3DS FC
0490-7017-9432
Switch FC
3291-1218-6623
I think he's more asking if you're only allowed to use one equipment part that boosts a certain stat. For example, if you equip the Power Gloves, you can't equip another attack boosting equipment part.
In the nintendo stream last week they said you can choose to stack one type of item to make a super powerful character in one area and super weak in the other two areas, the choice is yours and effects on items stack as well.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Can't help but wonder what equipment types Game and Watch can use, seeing as he doesn't have any visible clothing (Unless you count the helmet he dons during his Dash attack), and only has a single known equippable item type associated with his series/character (Torches).

The options for everyone else in the cast are pretty obvious.

On a side note, I'm starting to think that any piece of equipment is capable of having any ability at random, and that it's just a matter of luck whether or not you get it.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Can't help but wonder what equipment types Game and Watch can use, seeing as he doesn't have any visible clothing (Unless you count the helmet he dons during his Dash attack), and only has a single equippable item type associated with his series/character (Torches).

Mr. Game & Watch can use Torch, Battery, and Chip equipment parts. You can refer to the Microsoft Excel table for a list of equipment types that each character can utilize.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Can't help but wonder what equipment types Game and Watch can use, seeing as he doesn't have any visible clothing (Unless you count the helmet he dons during his Dash attack), and only has a single known equippable item type associated with his series/character (Torches).

On a side note, I'm starting to think that any piece of equipment is capable of having any ability at random, and that it's just a matter of luck whether or not you get it.
Yeah, any piece of equipment can have an ability. There might be some abilities that only appear on certain types, though.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
The Japanese wiki I've been referencing is claiming that it's indeed possible for any equipment type to have any ability.

Each type also has three ability-free versions that only provide a stat increase/decrease.

Time to make an OP Wario with 25% more air speed, 25% less damage while airborne, and 15% more air damage.

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
I been working on the different ratios depending on gear types. I don't have the game until October 3rd so all my numbers are based on the equipment in the lists provided in this thread so far. There seems to be a case where the game adds 1 point randomly either positive or negative that throws the ratio off slightly. It is always 1 point so nothing to freak out over but it is worth noting. Probably something to do with decimals.

• Equipment without additional bonus: High: 2.0, Low: 1.5

Exceptions due to rounding: High: 2.17~, Low: 1.44~
Equipment qualities: High + stats with average - stats (stats depend on item tier)

Highest:
Worn Shoes: +13 speed, -6 attack
Ratio: 2.17
All items with max amount are 2.0 with the exception that some items have +1 point extra.
Example:
+12 attack, -6 defense = 2.0

+13 attack, -6 defense = 2.1

Lowest:
Super Attack Badge: +39 attack, -27 defense
Ratio: 1.44
All items with weakest amount are 1.5 with the exception that some items have -1 point extra.
Example:
+39 attack, -26 defense = 1.5

+39 attack, -27 defense = 1.4

• Equipment with strong bonus: High: 0.4, Low: 0.2
Exceptions due to rounding: High: 0.43~, Low: 0.19~
Equipment qualities: low + stats with high - stats and strong bonus effect. (stats depend on item tier)

Highest:
Attack Badge of Auto Healing: +13 attack, -33 defense
Additional bonus: Heal 2% every 3 seconds.
Ratio: 0.39

All items with max amount are 0.4 with the exception that some items have +1 point extra.
Example:
+13 attack, -33 defense = 0.39

+14 attack, -33 defense = 0.42

Lowest:
Attack Badge of Critical Hit: +7 attack, -40 defense
Additional bonus: 20% chance of critical hit.
Ratio: 0.18

All items with weakest amount are 0.2 with the exception that some items have -1 point extra.
Example:
+10 attack, -50 defense = 0.2

+10 attack, -51 defense = 0.196

• Equipment with starting item bonus: High: 1.5, Low: 0.7
Exceptions due to rounding: High: 1.58~, Low: 0.68~
Equipment qualities: Average + stats with average - stats and a starting item. (stats depend on item tier)

Highest:
Tome of Fire Flower Posession: +19 attack, -12 defense
Additional bonus: Start out with a Fire Flower.
Ratio: 1.58

All items with max amount are 1.5 with the exception that some items have +1 point extra.
Example:
+19 attack, -12 defense = 1.58

+18 attack, -12 defense = 1.5

Lowest:
Speed Badge of Home-run Bat Posession: +20 speed, -29 attack
Additional bonus: Start out with a Home-run Bat.
Ratio: 0.69

All items with weakest amount are 0.7 with the exception that some items have -1 point extra.
Example:
+20 speed, -28 attack = 0.71

+20 speed, -29 attack = 0.69

• Equipment with "Increased damage done by" bonus: High: 1.5, Low: 1.0
Exceptions due to rounding: High: 1.54~, Low: 0.98~
Equipment qualities: High + stats with High - stats and increased damage of items. (stats depend on item tier)

Highest:
Throwing Item Blaster: +41 attack, -29 defense
Additional bonus: Increases damage done by throwing items.
Ratio: 1.41

All items with max amount are 1.5 with the exception that some items have +1 point extra.
Example:
+42 attack, -28 defense = 1.5

+43 attack, -28 defense = 1.54

Lowest:
Throwing Item Dress: +43 defense, -36 speed
Ratio: 1.19

All items with weakest amount are 1.0 with the exception that some items have -1 point extra.
Example:
+43 defense, -43 speed = 1.0

+43 defense, -44 speed = 0.98

Last edited:

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
I been working on the different ratios depending on gear types. I don't have the game until October 3rd so all my numbers are based on the equipment in the lists provided in this thread so far. There seems to be a case where the game adds 1 point randomly either positive or negative that throws the ratio off slightly. It is always 1 point so nothing to freak out over but it is worth noting. Probably something to do with decimals.

• Equipment without additional bonus: High: 2.0, Low: 1.5

Exceptions due to rounding: High: 2.17~, Low: 1.44~
Equipment qualities: High + stats with average - stats (stats depend on item tier)

Highest:
Worn Shoes: +13 speed, -6 attack
Ratio: 2.17
All items with max amount are 2.0 with the exception that some items have +1 point extra.
Example:
+12 attack, -6 defense = 2.0

+13 attack, -6 defense = 2.1

Lowest:
Super Attack Badge: +39 attack, -27 defense
Ratio: 1.44
All items with weakest amount are 1.5 with the exception that some items have -1 point extra.
Example:
+39 attack, -26 defense = 1.5

+39 attack, -27 defense = 1.4

• Equipment with strong bonus: High: 0.4, Low: 0.2
Exceptions due to rounding: High: 0.43~, Low: 0.19~
Equipment qualities: low + stats with high - stats and strong bonus effect. (stats depend on item tier)

Highest:
Attack Badge of Auto Healing: +13 attack, -33 defense
Additional bonus: Heal 2% every 3 seconds.
Ratio: 0.39

All items with max amount are 0.4 with the exception that some items have +1 point extra.
Example:
+13 attack, -33 defense = 0.39

+14 attack, -33 defense = 0.42

Lowest:
Attack Badge of Critical Hit: +7 attack, -40 defense
Additional bonus: 20% chance of critical hit.
Ratio: 0.18

All items with weakest amount are 0.2 with the exception that some items have -1 point extra.
Example:
+10 attack, -50 defense = 0.2

+10 attack, -51 defense = 0.196

• Equipment with starting item bonus: High: 1.5, Low: 0.7
Exceptions due to rounding: High: 1.58~, Low: 0.68~
Equipment qualities: Average + stats with average - stats and a starting item. (stats depend on item tier)

Highest:
Tome of Fire Flower Posession: +19 attack, -12 defense
Additional bonus: Start out with a Fire Flower.
Ratio: 1.58

Example:
+19 attack, -12 defense = 1.58

+18 attack, -12 defense = 1.5

Lowest:
Speed Badge of Home-run Bat Posession: +20 speed, -29 attack
Additional bonus: Start out with a Home-run Bat.
Ratio: 0.69

All items with weakest amount are 0.7 with the exception that some items have -1 point extra.
Example:
+20 speed, -28 attack = 0.71

+20 speed, -29 attack = 0.69

• Equipment with "Increased damage done by" bonus: High: 1.5, Low: 1.0
Exceptions due to rounding: High: 1.54~, Low: 0.98~
Equipment qualities: High + stats with High - stats and increased damage of items. (stats depend on item tier)

Highest:
Throwing Item Blaster: +41 attack, -29 defense
Ratio: 1.41

Example:
+42 attack, -28 defense = 1.5

+43 attack, -28 defense = 1.54

Lowest:
Throwing Item Dress: +43 defense, -36 speed
Ratio: 1.19

All items with weakest amount are 1.0 with the exception that some items have -1 point extra.
Example:
+43 defense, -43 speed = 1.0

+43 defense, -44 speed = 0.98
This is really solid work! Thanks a bunch! I was planning on doing this myself, but I haven't found the time.
It looks like there might be three tiers of bonuses then (four including hindering ones), that's really good to know. As soon as I get time, I'll update the table on post #2.

There's a Super Bodysuit (+60, -42) on the list, which has a ratio of 1.43. I don't think those numbers can come from a ratio of 1.5, no matter how it's rounded. Can anybody confirm this item actually exists, because it falls outside normal parameters?

There's also a pattern regarding the actual stat increases as well; equipment with strong bonuses can have the poorest stats irrespective of ratio, whereas equipment with hindering bonuses all have stats in the upper range (55-59).

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
This is really solid work! Thanks a bunch! I was planning on doing this myself, but I haven't found the time.
It looks like there might be three tiers of bonuses then (four including hindering ones), that's really good to know. As soon as I get time, I'll update the table on post #2.

There's a Super Bodysuit (+60, -42) on the list, which has a ratio of 1.43. I don't think those numbers can come from a ratio of 1.5, no matter how it's rounded. Can anybody confirm this item actually exists, because it falls outside normal parameters?

There's also a pattern regarding the actual stat increases as well; equipment with strong bonuses can have the poorest stats irrespective of ratio, whereas equipment with hindering bonuses all have stats in the upper range (55-59).
I only listed the highest and lowest possible numbers for each set. The equipment ratio can fall anywhere between those actual numbers. the 1.43 (+60, -42) would be a very good item because it is only 2 points from being a perfect 1.5 (+60, -40).

Last edited:

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
I only listed the highest and lowest possible numbers for each set. The equipment ratio can fall anywhere between those actual numbers. the 1.43 (+60, -42) would be a very good item because it is only 2 points from being a perfect 1.5 (+60, -40).
Surely 2.0 would be preferable (+60, -30)? 1.43 is the worst possible! The item in question has no ability, so it should fall in the 1.5 to 2.0 range.

Last edited:

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
Woops you are right. I was thinking of a different section where 1.5 was the max amount instead of the minimum. That item does seem to be off some. This is why I thought the game randomly adds 1 point to either the positive or negative stat because +60, -41 would be 1.46 which rounds up to 1.5 and flows with what I have so far in my post earlier. +60, -40 is 1.5 exactly though so I'm not sure why +60, -42 would exist if it was something to do with decimals. I am starting to think there is just a set pool of numbers based on the tier that randomly get chosen when you get the equipment. The game does not decide the ratio to give you, instead it picks 2 random numbers from the list and puts them together. It is impossible to keep the ratio the same for each number so this throws some off more than others.

Example:
Positive: 75,74,73,72,71,70,69,68,67,66,65
Negative: 47,46,45,44,43,42,41,40,39,38,37

The max possible item for this example would be +75, -37. Ratio= 2.0
You could get any of the numbers though so you may end up with something like this: +65, -47. Ratio= 1.4. This is an extreme case of bad luck where the game gave you the worst numbers possible in both spots. If you mimic this by going to the next numbers in the list + lowest, - highest the ratio will keep changing.

+ 2nd lowest, - 2nd highest:
+66, -46. Ratio= 1.43

+ 3rd lowest, - 3rd highest:
+67, -45. Ratio= 1.49 which rounds to 1.5

I do think that equipment has a set min and max ratio for each type and tier but some numbers break the ratio slightly due to rounding and such. This is a very small number usually 1 or 2 points max. You will notice the equipment listed in the same tiers so far have very similar numbers for both positive and negative effects so the difference between 2.0 and 1.5 could be something as small as 3-5 points if the equipment is low tier.

Edit:
Badges have these possible numbers:
Positive: 21,20,19,18,17,16,15
Negative: 14,13,12,11,10,9,8
Seems like Badges have 7 different numbers that can be picked from random based on what is listed so far. The maximum ratio for Badges is 2.6 and the minimum ratio is 1.0.

Super Badges have these possible numbers:
Positive: 42,41,40,39,38,37,36,35,34,33,32,31,30,29,28,27,26
Negative: 28,27,26,25,24,23,22,21,20,19,18,17,16,15
Seems like Super Badges have more numbers that can be picked from random based on what is listed so far. The maximum ratio for Super Badges is 2.8 and the minimum ratio is 0.9.

Rare Badges have these possible numbers: (not finished yet)
Positive: 54,53,52,51,50,49,48,47,46,45
Negative: 31,30,29,28,27
Rare Badges would fall somewhere around 3.0 for max and 0.8 for min. There is only two listed atm so I will hold off on this tier for now.

Possible that the higher tier the equipment the more numbers in the pool? This may max out at 20 for higher tiers but we won't know for sure until more info is added to the list. Thanks for all the equipment listed so far everyone!

Last edited:

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
Types and subtypes

Equipment is divided into three main types:
  • Attack; which raises Attack and lower Defense
  • Defense; which raises Defense and lowers Speed
  • Speed; which raises Speed and lowers Attack
Within these, there are several subtypes which determine who can equip it. For instance, the Attack subtype Sword can only be equipped by characters who wield a sword (Marth, Meta-Knight etc.).
Here is one big mistake:
There is a fourth type: Weight.

Every piece of equipment can contain a change in weight. Therefore making your character lighter or heavier and either easier or harder to KO. This changes the look at the attributes, since weight is another imporant balance element.
I saw the same equipment par, where one part had much better attributes then the other, but was balanced to a negative change in Weight. Therefore should equipment always listed with three numbers:
Increasing Attribute / Decreasing Attribute / Change in Weight
For examble +22/-12/-2

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The weight limit only applies to Smash Run. It basically affects how many high leveled powers the fighter can have equipped for that game mode.

Defense equipment can help increase the weight limit. Whereas, speed equipment can hinder the weight limit. Attack equipment doesn't affect the weight limit.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
I have noticed characters feeling heavier with equipment on in Smash Run. I might have to test that more. Since I have the game now, this thread is going to get super-comprehensive. Hold onto yr hats.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The weight limit only applies to Smash Run. It basically affects how many high leveled powers the fighter can have equipped for that game mode.

Defense equipment can help increase the weight limit. Whereas, speed equipment can hinder the weight limit. Attack equipment doesn't affect the weight limit.
I believe the weight limit is changed directly by the speed stat, so the various equipment doesn't have separate weight stats from speed.

Hunterjet

Smash Rookie
I'm reviving this thread bad, but I've been missing 7 bonus effects for equipment for like a month now so I have to ask: has anyone found a game mode or something where NEGATIVE bonus effects are more common? I'm missing stuff like antileap and anchor jump and I'm really getting sick of playing through classic 9.0, getting the best custom drops on the roulette and finishing with 20 repeated items every single time.

Top Bottom