• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ergonomics of the Gamecube Controller; Concepts Added

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I want my controller to have lasers.
But that might just be me.
...No one can deny that thatd be sweet though....

Overload

Smash Lord
I hate the D-pad. It's not that easy to use. I know you don't need it for many games, but I'd really like it for the Mega Man Collection. Mega Man just doesn't feel right with an analog stick.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
Everything right in the world happened when it was made, so nothing changes. Although my hands always hurt after playing Falcon.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
I'm remodeling the shell in Alias Automotive and going to print the shell

I haven't researched how to print my own circuit board, so I have no idea how manageable the task would be but if I could then a lot of possibilities would open up.

This is really for a smash player, it's hard to think of something to change because the game as been out for so long but somethings I was thinking of were the following...

- taking away octagon shell around the left analog stick, (and removing the spring, but that is a normal mod)

- making the x and y button into one

- bigger b button

- a "up directional" based d-pad, as taunts are its only function

- making the handles more like the 360 contoller

- a dip around the z button for those who play with the "claw" handling

- bigger c stick

S l o X

Smash Champion
I like having x and y separate, some people actually use them for separate things and are already used to using them separately. I like getting rid of the octagon shell though, its really annoying. C stick is fine, I guess its all opinion though...IMO its fine as it is (again).

Biggest problem for me is the octagon shell and thats really no biggy.
If I had one wish for the change of GC controllers it would only be that they released more colors. Oh god how I wish I could get a green or red controller ): (without doing it myself)

Kantō

Smash Champion
the GC controller is the best controller out of any controller ever! i guess the snes controller is pretty cool too.

AlexoftheAura

yaylatias.gif
NNID
AlexoftheAura
I think somebody needs to get to work on adding cupholders to the GC controllers, I'm tired of forgetting where I put my drink while playing.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Nothing. The GC controller was PERFECT imo. At least a big step up from the oh so terrible N64 controller.

Maybe if this were about the Dreamcast controller.

n88

Smash Lord
Second one looks alright, although I can't see an L-Trigger.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
having it laid out so that the path between 'b' and x/y button is unobstructed would be pretty sick. No accidental pressing of A on the way to B.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Having one big button replacing X and Y seems like it could cause problems. Repeated pressing on one half of the button can't be good.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
Having one big button replacing X and Y seems like it could cause problems. Repeated pressing on one half of the button can't be good.
i don't see the issue, could you explain it a little more?

they have the same function in smash as you already know, i would think this would only help

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Fusing them together seems like it could cause structural issues or usage issues. If you constructed it so that if you pressed on the topmost section of the button, would you make it so that the entire button would depress? That may make the button slightly harder and/or slower to depress.

If you constructed it so only a portion of the button depresses, you would need two or more sensors for the different sections, and repeated use might cause the button to become slightly lopsided.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
what if instead of actually making them one button, i just divided it with a curve so they are practically touching, but 2 separate buttons?

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
A curve? Like a small gap?

On another note, a change I would like to see would be a reduction in the distance required to press the L and R triggers.

Kantō

Smash Champion
i actually likethe first concept peice. one button for jump would be sweet, but would leave fewer options for custamizing in brawl.

Rian

Smash Cadet
i wish the wavebirds were good.
They are :)!

Cool concept drawing by the way. Although the x+y button is a bad idea imho. They may serve the same function in Melee, but we all have our preferences. Why not keep the Y button then, and stick it a little closer to the B-button. That way everyone would have to jump with Y and have the closest distance to B :)!

But in all honestly the GC-controller is awesome, with the exception of the Z-button, with some moves I just tend to press the button in a finger hurting way....

Rian

Smash Cadet
wavebirds+ Wii= bad
Maybe It's an NTSC issue, cause here the setup works fine. In theory it should even be faster than a controller by wire (the difference however is completely insignificant). Can do almost all of Fox's tech-stuff with my Wavebird.

What problems do you actually have?

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
I think there should be another 'Z' button on the left.
I wouldn't use it but, I do believe some would.

.45ACP

Smash Rookie
I wish that I didn't have to pull so far distance in L and R triggers. As a shooter, I love guns with short, crisp trigger pulls and hate the long, soft, mushy trigger pulls that the gamecube's L and R buttons have (for you shooters out there: think tuned Springfield 1911 trigger vs. Beretta M9 trigger). I like the PS2 controller better; also, PS2 has buttons that are crisp and have very short travel yet are still pressure sensitive. I wish the Gamecube controller was like that.

NeoAkira

Smash Apprentice
Maybe It's an NTSC issue, cause here the setup works fine. In theory it should even be faster than a controller by wire (the difference however is completely insignificant). Can do almost all of Fox's tech-stuff with my Wavebird.

What problems do you actually have?
That's incorrect. In theory, the wired controller should be faster. And it is, in actuality.

Jonas

Smash Champion
I don't really like the shoulder buttons. After extensive play, my index fingers tend to get a bit sore. For instance, I was playing Beyond Good & Evil the other day. In that game, you never get anywhere if you don't hold R to run (or boost if you're in a vehicle) and it was just murder on the right index finer :laugh:

I think it's because I bend my fingers so that my fingertips depress the buttons, so my fingers can't really relax. This is because there is not enough room for my fingers because of the big chunck of plastic between the buttons.

NeoAkira

Smash Apprentice
I don't really like the shoulder buttons. After extensive play, my index fingers tend to get a bit sore. For instance, I was playing Beyond Good & Evil the other day. In that game, you never get anywhere if you don't hold R to run (or boost if you're in a vehicle) and it was just murder on the right index finer :laugh:

I think it's because I bend my fingers so that my fingertips depress the buttons, so my fingers can't really relax. This is because there is not enough room for my fingers because of the big chunck of plastic between the buttons.
I have this exact same problem. I think if the shoulder buttons were slightly raised and needed to be depressed a little less, it might fix that problem.

Also, I think sinking in the A button by like 2-3mm would be pretty cool as it would allow easier access to the X&Y buttons from the B button. But that's just personal preference, I'm sure a lot of people love it the way it is now.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
One thing that had been discussed before is making the L&R triggers; buttons.
Personally, I am against this because I like the current set-up with the controller but, I can see why it would feel more natural with a less amount of pressure needed to input & smaller trigger size.

Rian

Smash Cadet
That's incorrect. In theory, the wired controller should be faster. And it is, in actuality.
So electric current is faster then radio waves, which travel at the speed of light? Not to mention the fact that the waves go directly to the receiver instead of going through the wire which has in most cases is a longer route.

NeoAkira

Smash Apprentice
So electric current is faster then radio waves, which travel at the speed of light? Not to mention the fact that the waves go directly to the receiver instead of going through the wire which has in most cases is a longer route.
It's not the electric current that's faster. It's the fact that the signal technology in the wavebird, between converting your inputs to a radio signal, sending it, recieving it, and converting it back to a readable format for the system, takes more time than a wired controller which is a direct input.

I'm not saying all wireless technology is slower, I'm just saying the specific wireless technology used in the wavebird is unable to surpass wired speeds.

Top Bottom