• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evert Yoshi's Island

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I don't know about you, but I really hate Yoshi's Island.

Having an epic match on a stage with smiley flowers, rainbows, and some happy music isn't my cup of tea. I don't like having my fights on a stage where Ghandi would like to visit. Yoshi's Island is also a neutral stage, meaning this stage is going to show up more than often.

I was talking to my friend the other night, and I was telling him how Yoshi's Island should be texture hacked. He then had this idea, that it would be *amazing*, if we everted Yoshi's Island.

For those of you who don't know, there is a game called Eversion. My friend described it well. (video near the bottom)

[01:44] rayku: like, you start out all happy and ****
[01:44] rayku: and then, as you evert, it gets you closer and closer to Hell
[01:44] BBQ: ooh cool
[01:44] BBQ: that would be -awesome- with yoshi's story
[01:44] rayku: those devil monsters used to be happy-go-lucky ***s happily walking around
[01:44] rayku: Yeah. That's what I was thinking.
[01:44] BBQ: the season changes :3
[01:45] rayku: and the music changes, too
[01:45] BBQ: yyyyeaaah
[01:45] rayku: like, the music starts all happy and ****
[01:45] rayku: and as you get closer, it gets creepier. Eventually it just becomes a heartbeat
[01:45] rayku: but yeah, the season change could be eversion

Here's a video of the game, Eversion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRE0nLrmyk0

So, if you haven't already figured out, my idea is to apply Eversion to the season changes of Yoshi's Island. It'll start off all smiley flowers, and cycle through and get more hellish as each season changes.

I need someone or a group of people to take on the project. I already told another friend of mine and he said he liked the idea so much that he would take the time to learn how to texture hack. This sounded kinda unreliable to me, so I want to ask the already-pro texture hackers. I have no experience myself so I am out of the question.

Edit:
almost forgot: we also need some cool music as the season changes, so if someone can look into that then thanks. If it comes down to it, we can just pick a Brawl song that fits the majority of the seasons.

~PK~

Smash Cadet
That Eversion game scared the crap out of me. @_@ ...Those hands. D:

But yes, this would be quite cool if this is actually possible.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
That video would so frustrating to watch.
I'm literally screaming at the screen, GOOOOOOOOOOOO!
since he kept standing there doing nothing

BBQ°

Smash Champion
That video would so frustrating to watch.
I'm literally screaming at the screen, GOOOOOOOOOOOO!
since he kept standing there doing nothing
hehe, he had to wait for the eversion because some blocks won't break on certain transformations.

auroreon

Smash Ace
OH TEH NOES!!! You can't do that to Yoshi's Island! Think of all the poor, sweet, innocent little Yoshis... =(

Rudra

Smash Ace
I must say...that video actually troubled me somehow...

Awesome.

Anyways, I like the concept, as it'd be a pretty freaky twist for Yoshi's Island. Is it possible to texture hack stages though?

OH TEH NOES!!! You can't do that to Yoshi's Island! Think of all the poor, sweet, innocent little Yoshis... =(
Give them Eversion textures and they'll fit right in...=3

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
F*** YEAH EVERSION!!

I do character texture hacks, so I know the basics. this might be a bit harder though, especially knowing which are the parts that switch. the music might be a problem as well...maybe the original eversion music and it switches normally as long as you dont pause (like the ice climbers stage)

I also vote on making the characters as well! jiggs could fit the hero, kirby for the baddies, and peach for the princess...both forms!

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Hold up, it is possible to texture hack stages, right?
Yes but unlike characters there's no automated program to texture hack stages. So you have to hex things manually, which is why you see fewer stages being created.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Yes but unlike characters there's no automated program to texture hack stages. So you have to hex things manually, which is why you see fewer stages being created.
Oh wow. I guess this is one of those projects for the future, but I hope this idea doesn't get forgotten. I still want someone a little more advanced to look into this now to see what can be done.

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
Actually, Ashtage was released two days ago. Maybe I should post it here.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Unfortunately, this would be extremely hard to do. Do do this, we must have about 4 textures for the stage. From there, we must create a code that times the swapping of textures IN A STAGE, so that this would actually work. In short, this is unrealistic.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Unfortunately, this would be extremely hard to do. Do do this, we must have about 4 textures for the stage. From there, we must create a code that times the swapping of textures IN A STAGE, so that this would actually work. In short, this is unrealistic.
hmmm....
I've seen more than 4 texture-hacked stages, so this definitely isn't impractical since there are only 4 seasons. Also, if I recall correctly, Delfino Plaza has been texture hacked and the stage changes constantly.

Find me ASHtage then we can wing it from there.

I'm going to use the same mentality that has gotten me this far in life; we'll make something mediocre but totally passable.

**** YEAH SEAKING. :012:

/this is actually semi-serious.

EDIT: ASHtage here - http://www.multiverseworks.com/garycxjkrandomstuff/ashtage_complete.rar

Thank Gary everyone. Thank him.
I think if we start off small and create edits along the way then we can get this done. I had to remove the hacks from my Wii because I'm sending it in for repair since some ***** knocked it it down and now the power button is broken. Now that I my Wii is out of commission, I won't be able to help or anything for a while.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
hmmm....
I've seen more than 4 texture-hacked stages, so this definitely isn't impractical since there are only 4 seasons. Also, if I recall correctly, Delfino Plaza has been texture hacked and the stage changes constantly.

Is there a vid of this anywhere? I have never heard of that.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
I can't imagine something like this being TOO much difficult than normally modifying a stage, just with more textures. You wouldn't have to program anything as YI already changes seasons. You'd just change the textures of the various seasons... like the snow becomes blood or something. Or whatever. The only problem is if certain textures stay the same for the four seasons... like the Support Ghost probably only has one editable texture and thus would be stuck with that one "form." I'm not sure how much of a problem those things would cause.

But then again, I don't even hack textures, so maybe I'm completely off. And though I dislike your reasoning behind the hack, this hack sounds like a great idea. :p

Top Bottom