• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A "Everyone Look At Me!" The Marth Video Critique Thread.

I.B

Smash Lord
ref code: Mi2

When you're marth teamed with a sheik, you will need to be leading the team. for one, sheik's aerial mobility is crap, so she can't really approach the other team. also you have to realize that your sword covers a lot of space. if your ally goes in first and you go in second for coverage, you have to be pretty **** accurate because you don't want to be comboing your teammate.

as far as the teamwork went, you guys worked together really well. One thing i would suggest when playing vs peach, don't try to edgeguard her. In singles you have nothing else to spend your time on, so your best bet is to at least try. In doubles, its a waste of time. Go 2v1 her partner while she is floating back to the stage. The only time i say edge guard her is when she has to use her upb or is recovering below the stage.

edit:
watching second game now, advice coming in a second

Watch your teams zoning. you hit your partner ninetynine times. Give them space. Talk with your partner beforehand, establish things like

If you get a grab, throw him to me
You lead, i'll cover your back
If i'm at the edge, i'm fine as long as i'm not being edge hogged

ect, ect...

TBH it looked like KK got scared and went into carry mode and instead of playing like a team he just tried to throw down as much woop-*** as he could.

Were you guys a throw together team or do you team with him often?
Half-and-half to be honest.

Thanks though.

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
People still choose to play Marth in teams?!? IB make sure you go to Pound 4, and if not Ill get GMoney to drive up to Canada sometime.

Edit-Fsmash at everychance you get...great move. POF "get him off stage" or "do this because its awesome" is the best advice ever

I.B

Smash Lord
Yea man I'm going 100% for sure. We gotta play.

I'm still working on Fox in teams:). But my Marth is better so I have to switch to him if I gotta win.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Edit-Fsmash at everychance you get...great move. POF "get him off stage" or "do this because its awesome" is the best advice ever
I personally hate when I hear broad advice like that....I guess that's just me though. If someone said to me, "fsmash when _____ does ______" and was more specific I'd be like, "Ok, sounds good." When I hear that its like "WTF is that supposed to mean?" It's sooooo broad.

Edit:

I really find Marth to be at least 5th or 6th best in teams. Jigs, Fox, Peach, Sheik, Falco, and I think possibly Ganon and Falcon are all better than Marth.

Ganon is extremely hard to kill
difficult to edge guard due to the time it takes for him to get back to the ledge
saves his partner nicely w up b
very powerful and can score kills quickly
can punish opponents nicely if teammate gets grab with fsmash or fair.

than I would say Samus, Doc,...then Link.

Marth is not BAD in teams...he's just not top tier potential in teams.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I think a lot of people just fail to figure out what they're doing wrong and attribute it to simple things like tech skill or something or they default to asking for help, getting only an isolated solution and not really addressing the main problem of their own mentality.

But whatever =P

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
People still choose to play Marth in teams?!? IB make sure you go to Pound 4, and if not Ill get GMoney to drive up to Canada sometime.

When we played at RoM I was teaming with a Marth >_>

TresChikon

Smash Lord
I think a lot of people just fail to figure out what they're doing wrong and attribute it to simple things like tech skill or something or they default to asking for help, getting only an isolated solution and not really addressing the main problem of their own mentality.

But whatever =P
It's merely a human process that we've been conditioned to where infantile rationalization is the only solution to anything that is even remotely close to being uncomfortable. Hence, said isolated solution will only create a false sense of stability and nothing more in their own mentality.

But whatever =P

P. O. F.

Smash Ace

But whatever =P
I like your new sig. Mad pretty.

EDIT-I meant Avatar.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
my view of teams is that its about teamwork and not specific characters. most characters are better in teams because the gay **** that wrecks them in singles can't be done when you have someone watching your back. Of course, fox/falco + sheik/peach/puff/fox/falco is really good. I think marth is worse in teams because sometimes in order to hit the other team you must hit your teammate too, or at least put out your sword in a place they want to be.

I use marth in teams cause my other characters are horrible and i can actually pull off crazy things with marth in teams.

i'll post some teams vids here soon.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Thanks P.O.F. =D I found it on Google 'cause I was tired of confusing other people with myself.

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
Lol I know KK. If I can get in my mind that my character sucks then it makes losing feel a bit better. I **** on Marth alot and I actually dnt mind him in teams but only if Im teaming with Fox.

I actually went all Marth in teams at RoM so Ill get those matches up for you guys to look at. Niko I couldnt even find you at RoM homie, we shouldve played cuz all the Marths in tristate moved/quit. Whats the next tourny youll be at?

Niko45

Smash Master
Lol I know KK. If I can get in my mind that my character sucks then it makes losing feel a bit better. I **** on Marth alot and I actually dnt mind him in teams but only if Im teaming with Fox.

I actually went all Marth in teams at RoM so Ill get those matches up for you guys to look at. Niko I couldnt even find you at RoM homie, we shouldve played cuz all the Marths in tristate moved/quit. Whats the next tourny youll be at?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=246861 - Evidently Hazz is coming, so def come thru if possible. Besides that i'll probably be at the next No Johns.

As for ROM, every time I looked up you were over with all the cool kids by the laptops. Honestly if I'd seen you actually on a TV, I woulda called triple next on that **** or something. Good looks tho, hopefully we play sometime soon.

Dart

Smash Lord
ref code: fail1

sup dart.

watched first one vs atma and the one vs andale. A piece of advice that vro gave me after TIMS3, everytime you want to fsmash, dtilt instead. It works in every [ground] situation that fsmash works, but with no risk of being punished if they shield or if you wiff.

Also, try to be in the air more. Retreat fairs and nairs and dtilt/ftilt/utilt if they try to punish the lag. When you're looking to (for lack of a better word) approach, use spaced dtilt or grab if you're on the ground, or a low aerial. If you hit a shield with an low aerial, you can either dash dance behind them (if you're close) or dash dance away (if you're middle range) before they can grab you (obviously if you hit it with your tip, they can't grab you anyways).
You've seen Vro's marth right? well not to say his advice doesn't work, but we're better off asking here. thanks though it did help alot! i know the peach matchup now, i just wish i could have gone back in time to fight Tink now. I would have won.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Peach matchup- f throw to dash attack to stuff

pluck turnip? dash attack

In the air-space fair and then either fsmash or Dair depending on DI.

Thoughts? lol.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
more like space nair fair and dtilt. you should always be far enough away that you can run->dtilt/fsmash her if she tries to pull a turnip. she shouldnt really ever get hits on you.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
more like space nair fair and dtilt. you should always be far enough away that you can run->dtilt/fsmash her if she tries to pull a turnip. she shouldnt really ever get hits on you.
I know. I'm just making a joke.

I'm going to be uploading vids soon. Not too many recent vids of my marth.

except these two:

http://www.youtube.com/user/yourstillwithme

I know what I did wrong in both match ups pretty well. Some of the options I made near the ledge were....epic fail. Ahhh. I think i'll also upload stuff where I lose. Its much easier to critique losses than wins. More room for improvement. Duh. lol.

Just thought i'd give you guys a general idea of how my Marth looks.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
how do u critique a marth? Uptilt more? Fsmash more? Dash dance/ edge grab or grab more? lol

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
If you don't know that I'm everywhere, then you really aren't around here much.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
yea forgot a bit about name changing. oh btw, i've never seen u play at all.

tbo = to be honest

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
i dunno what tbo means.

On Topic, POF ill take a look at your vids in a bit.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
POF ill take a look at your vids in a bit.
Not necessary man. I don't exactly want to use those as improvement videos because i win easily in those matches and I think matches where I lose are much better vids to use.

If you wish to comment on them though, feel free. :)

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I like this idea, so I'm going to stick this.

Please direct people here for future reference, cause having 20 "OMG HELP ME" threads is wack.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
you look ilke you just throw out alot of moves to edgeguard. which isnt smart.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
you look ilke you just throw out alot of moves to edgeguard. which isnt smart.
I try to mix up my edge game because I feel that is very important. Any player can react to any given situation if they see that same constant edge guard. They can tech it, prepare ahead of time for the proper DI, bait the attack, or just avoid it all together.

Marth has so many options while edge guarding its ridiculous.

jab
neu B
f tilt
d tilt
counter
reverse up B in dropzone
fair in dropzone
dair from ledge hop or drop zone last stock
f smash

I'm significantly better than the player I was playing, though he is improving drastically since I first started playing him. Plus, thats a huge reason why I asked not to critique it exactly....I'm just baiting him to the ledge so I can have fun and do goofy edge guards. :psycho:

Niko45

Smash Master
Top Bottom