• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A "Everyone Look At Me!" The Marth Video Critique Thread.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Ref code: 12KIR4

I'm just gonna give a few tips that might help you out:

1. Less fsmash on stage. When I say less, i mean none except for a choice few situations
a. You comboed into it
b. They are in a high lag move
c. There are a few ways to mix fsmash into an edge trap, but thats a bit more advanced and would promote some of your bad habits.
2. Improve your mobility. There are many many times when you are just standing there doing nothing or spamming a single move repeatedly. After every attack you do, try to re-space yourself immediately. If you hit him, you want to follow it up or move into better position to follow up. If you miss him, you want to be moving out of the way of any of his follow ups.
3. A lot less rolling. Learn to love WD out of shield and fair out of shield. Also, you have to learn how to fair and nair through projectiles instead of rolling.
4. Get more efficient combos. Instead of rising uair, use utilt. The only time i suggest using uair is when they are a ways above you, SH and do a uair as you land and then utilt after that. Also, fair combos into anything you want. Fair->fair->fair->fair->dash dance->grab->fthrow->fair->fair->fair->fair->FSMASH
5. I didn't get to see much of your edge guarding, but i did see you try to jump off with a dair once. I disapprove of offstage dairs highly. Get a dtilt or fsmash in and then edgehog. Hit it and forget it.

:)

edit- Sometimes you gotta know how to flail your sword around. For example, watch this improv combo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QO0lf_HQrg#t=12s

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Yeah. A lot of the 'advanced' techniques can be a real pain against him. For some reason, if I stay shield, or WD towards or away from projectiles, I always seem to get hit by his **** heat seeking bombs x.x. But like I said, that's old. I'll try to record a few more later today after finals if I can get some good vids. I've DEFINITELY started using tilts a LOT more since then if I recall right. WD i'm working on, but it's frustrating, because it tends to think Im airdodging straight to the left or right, instead of down OR it'll send me straight down -.-

I believe I've cut down on the fsmash greatly. I knew it was a weakness, and I've been trying to weed it out...Would definitely help if I could gain a lot more control over WD...then I could rely on a few WD fsmashes....

I mostly stand there because if I try to approach him, he spams boomerang n bomb like nobody's business. He ABUSES projectiles ever since I told him link's projectiles were good...He went from mostly up close to mostly far away...And same with sheik. I suggested new characters, threw sheik out as he's a LoZ nut....all of a sudden he goes from 'fun, enjoyable fight even if we dont improve much' to 'wow he's ****** me with gay *** combos and my DI doesnt seem to work how the hell am I still winning?' But I think I may have improved on it since then. I DO know that jab stops projectiles. I try to do it, but I can never seem to WD backwards when I need to gain some space x.x.

I'm also working on SH Nairs. I also seem to either miss them completely, or it doesn't register....or it hits em once, i hit the ground n get some lag cause the lcancel didnt work or didnt register, and oop, he gets to have his way with me x.x. He has an EXTREME love for rolling, and tbh; I know there's a way to counter it, and I know the pros can...but I can't seem to get a peg on him....And I didn't know I could nair items without takin damage :O. The reason I try not to fair items is because usually...if its a bomb, ive got a boomerang incoming by that point that I can never seem to dodge...or if its a bomb incoming, i get hit by the explosion even if I shield....

I only recently learned that I could WD out of shield, so I've been practicing that but it probably won't get picked up easily till after normal WD xD. I'm also gonna have to start trying to attack OoS. Issue is, I always try to jump OoS, but he just keeps up a CONSTANT stream of attacks with Link's jabs x.x....

Yeah, I'm gonna be trying to cut back on the going into the air. I've been trying to use dtilt a bit more, but like I said, I cant WD easily, and I can't seem to stop fast enough when running. And if I walk, he knows its coming...My issue is, even when Im seemingly just bout stopped...he can suddenly do dash attack when I was trying to do dtilt or fair....Also...How does his dsmash n fsmash have a farther range than any of my attacks? He did dsmash once, and we proceeded to watch as he hit me from a bowser bodylength away or so...maybe closer to 2 :/....
----
Thanks for the critique. Helped solidify what I figured, and dare I say it helped me remember or learn 1 or 2 things....
I'll try to have some newer vids up later, if you're willing to critique those for me I'd be much obliged....My main issue is his constant stream of gay tilt combos from sheik and his never....ending...rolling...and boomering....and bombs....
EDIT: Sorry for the long response. Just wanted to explain a few of those issues ^^;... Also...How do folks manage to go from dash to crouch n dtilt in half a second flat? I've been noticing recently that I try to pull off uthrow combos or fast tilts against him or other characters, and NONE of them fall as slow or go as high as when I do low or high % throws....plus, i swear, compared to some of the marth vids Ive seen....they pull off combos with purely ground moves and for some reason...I have lag they don't seem to have >.>....
(Sorry just...really curious >.>. Tryin to make sure there's nothing Im missing or that Im understanding EVERYTHING. I can never get any uthrow cg off of link or sheik or even when HE tried fox, and I can't for the life of me figure out what....)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
All of marth's ground moves have IASA (interrupt as soon as) frames. This means on that frame you can do just about anything (most useful is dashing IMO). The only thing you can't do to interrupt is shield.

For example, here is dtilt's frame data:

D Tilt

Total: 49
Hit: 7-9
IASA: 20

This means the sword hits on frame 7 until frame 9. If you wait for the full animation, it'll take 49 frames. 60 frames is a full second, so 49 is kinda a lot. Thats 40 frames after the sword hits until the move ends.

You can cancel the dtilt with another dtilt, a dash, a jump, or anything else you want (but shield) on frame 20 or any time after that. Thats more than 50% of the lag that you shave off.

You just have to learn (by feel, not the numbers) when the lag ends on every move and when you can act again.

Niko45

Smash Master
A good starting point is to learn to do a late fair or nair with the l cancel and try to dash as soon as you possibly can. This will help you push your speed to the next level.

For projectiles you need WD OoS or it's going to just be awkward. Shield the boomerang, WD forward into shield again, shield the bomb, then either WD at him again, roll if he dash attacks, or fair OOS if the spacing is correct.

Vs Sheik you need to basically not challenge her when she is tilting your shield. Roll away, WD OoS away. Don't let her just approach you with tilts - keep her out with spaced fair and dtilt.

BC AL

Smash Journeyman
ref: SpaciesSuck

Not bad at all.

Main things: Recovery/Ledge hopping, OOS, Approach

Recovery - EVERY Marth has to break the habit of wasting their side B's when they are not in danger. You need to realize that you can DI way better than you are right now. Even tho you are DIing almost (not all) hits, understand that you are not DIing at the right angle. Picture a clock. For survival DI you want to be DIing at the 11 or 1 on the joystick depending on which way you are getting hit. Your DI right now is at 10 and 2. Once you make this adjustment, edgeguarding you becomes nearly impossible. This means that any move with a decently elevated knockback trajectory (ex: spacies bair) should be allowing you to survive ON STAGE without using ANY side B's. Don't waste them. You get 3 very useful ones, so save them. They will help you to force him off the ledge while you hover or deter him from trying to come off and bair you.

OOS - You are shieldgrabbing way way too much and it's getting you killed. A tip in general - go back and scroll through vids of yourself and closely examine every time you are killed. Determine what killed you and how you can prevent that in the future. Against falco, you will see that more than once you are shield grabbing absolutely hopelessly (like, facing the wrong way) and he just fsmashes you to oblivion.

In general work on your OOS command to really take your movement and approach game to the next level. Vs. Falco you need to be able to Fair OOS crisply to defend against his approach. You can also WD back OOS if you have room behind you (recommended). Your WDs OOS are limited and choppy, but at least your doing it, that means its only a matter of time before you really implement it. In conjunction with this, it's really important to learn how to anticipate and time Falco's lasers as they come at you and hit your shield. This will open up tons of options for you and you won't even need those shield grabs you're dependent on now that you shouldn't even be getting.

Approach - Again, good command of movement OOS helps here because you can start approaching with shield. This is very good against spacies, particularly Falco, where you can run up and shield an incoming laser, then react appropriately to whatever spacing you've created. In general tho, I see you being decently patient but not baiting much. Work on Fair/Nair to instant dash away. This will help open up more DD grabs for you. Right now it looks like you're guessing he's going to full hop nair (with fox) and doing a pre-emptive full hop fair. Then in other situations you are just running around nairing kinda randomly, hoping to catch him (which also shouldn't be working, but is). Nair/Fair in place - dash backwards.

Couple of edgeguarding notes:

-I know it is seen so so commonly, but you shouldn't often be following up the counter with a drop down fair or reverse up B. Foxes will often fall so far away that all you need is a ledgehog (like the one where you kinda freaked out and got killed), which also means that if you fair them you are not going to be able to make it back. Camera zoom can make this tricky to judge. In general, after a counter I like to immediately get on the edge and see what they've done. You should also remember that if he DIs the counter up he can side B to the ledge (but NOT the stage), so committing to going off stage is risky. Get on the ledge and ledgehog or come off with bair. If he tries to up B from directly below you, ledgehop dair OR justs ledgehop and counter again to see what he does. You can try to fair him into the stage, but if he techs it your edgeguard is blown.
Thanks alot for the feedback!
ya i agree my DI is terrible :p
i just noticed that, like u said, a simple edge hog would ve got me that kill when i was edgeguarding Fox! gahhh im soo stupid
anyways thanks alot again :)

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Cool. I have noticed that IASA....That explains why I was able to chain dtilt, diagonally right downward tilt, ftilt, dash attack, and fairs together so quickly with Falcon one time...xD I did it when I was in the zone. My friend got PISSED lol cause he was winning, and he responded with 'Everytime I get you close, you manage to pull this bullsh*t out of your ***, or you finally start playing seriously!' I kind of sandbag but that's only when Im warming up or bored >.>....TBH, me n him have been trying for WEEKS to replicate it, but I know it hasn't felt right....To his credit though; I DO pull sh*t out of my ***....like a 3 or 4 stock come back on him....as Dr Mario or Ganondorf >:3. Thank you both, and I shall post some more videos if I can get some tomorrow, or maybe tonight. He didnt come over, n i conked out till just bout 6, so tryin to get ahold of him x.x....

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Wooot! I shall probably read it on my wii, unless u dont finish or post it until near the time my mom gets off her laptop (anywhere from 1 to 3 am EST xD) But I shall be waiting. n since i conked out earlier n im bored, ill be playing melee n legend of lagaia :3...

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
12KIR4.

Let's look at the second game against your friend's Link.

0:03 - You grab and uthrow. You input an utilt but he double jumps over it. Well, first of all, if you're going to try an uthrow -> utilt combo, learn the timing. By this I mean learn the soonest possible moment when you can utilt. I'm not saying he couldn't have jumped out of your utilt anyway; it just appeared that your utilt happened later than it possibly could have.

Instead of uthrow, I would suggest that you fthrow Link at lower percents, especially since the ledge was directly in front of you. At very low percents you can fthrow -> regrab Link. At medium low percents, you can fthrow -> dtilt or fthrow -> fsmash depending on their DI.

0:05 - Whether you intended to or not, you managed to ftilt his boomerang. Marth's shield is pretty small, so in general you're better off conserving it when you have better options. Rangs and bombs can be tilted an jabbed away with good timing. It's useful to be able to do this proficiently. It's also handy to be able to grab bombs in midair.

You then approached him with a dash attack, which connected because he was in the middle of pulling out a bomb. He might have assumed the boomerang was going to hit you, and so he thought that he would have time to pull that bomb. But you punish him with a dash attack and follow it up with an ftilt. The ftilt stuns him long enough to, probably, screw up some of his button inputs. As a result, he is left standing there, and you strike with a tippered fsmash.

0:10 - For some reason, the Link opts to bomb recover, even though he could have just grappled the ledge or simply up-b'ed from that distance. Now you jump up and try to spike him as he up-b's. You don't space the dair very well, unfortunately. Your dair misses, and you get hit by Link's up-b.

When I think Link will recover with his up-b from directly below the stage, I wavedash (or you can just jump backwards; whatever works better for you) onto the edge. Then I time my ledgehop dair so that it connects as I'm rising. I land on the stage, Link get's spiked to his death. It's all cool. You've probably seen pros like Mew2King do this before. It's very effective, as long as you have the timing down.

0:17 You go for an fsmash but it narrowly whiffs. Link manages to jump over it, somehow. He hits you with a nair.

Now here is the first point in the video where you can start to pick up on your friend's habits. As soon as he hits you with the nair, he rolls behind you. You respond to this ... by rolling the other direction. Okay - so now you're in a neutral position. He's on one side of the stage; you're on the other. You both stare each other down for half a second, then Link remembers he has projectiles. He fires his bow and you intercept it with a jab. He follows up his projectile with a dash attack, which clanks with your second jab. Notice what happened here. He fired a projectile, then he rushed in to attack you directly. Take note of this pattern!

When he sees that the dash attack didn't succeed as well as he had hoped ... what does he do? He rolls behind you. And your response? You roll away from him again. Position essentially resets.

0:24 - You throw out an fsmash, rather randomly, and Link ... rolls behind you. He punishes your laggy move with an utilt juggle, but you manage to regain your feet by descending with a fair, which catches him in the middle of his own missed fair.

You attempt to follow up the fair with a dash attack. He wisely tech rolls to get away from your new attack, and he immediately throws a rang. But you dash attack a second time to follow his tech roll and it connects before his boomerang happens. You keep the pressure on him and get a grab. You choose to uthrow. It sends him up way high. You try to follow his DI with a full jumped uair but you miss. You eat a boomerang. The reason why you missed is because he double jumped to the right and you didn't really stay under him. Link has a lot of air maneuverability. Sometimes you just have to dash after him to catch up when he's above you. It'll open up more windows for you than if you just stay put after you uthrow.

0:40 - VERY good decision to fthrow him at the edge. He makes a poor recover decision, and you time the punishing fsmash excellently. It gets you a kill. In general, getting someone off the stage with Marth is essentially the same thing as killing them (assuming they aren't Jiggs). In your mind, you should always be thinking about this, because if you play your cards right, you can edgeguard them for a stock everytime. ^_^

0:45 - Okay. You run away while he respawns with invincibility. That's a legitimate tactic. Then you jump and double jump over him. I guess you were still worried about getting hit while he had the advantage on you in the sense that he was still invincible, possibly. Fortunately, you were at least kind of tricky with how you double jumped, making it seem like you were going to land and then jumping while he futilely dsmashed where he thought you were going to be.

0:49 - I don't know why you up-b'ed. He was in the middle of an airdodge and couldn't hurt you. But I guess you were trying to take advantage of the speed of Marth's up-b at close range. For the most part, it's not a good idea to up-b randomly on FD, because there are no platforms for you to land on and therefore you're vulnerable for longer. But this time you don't get punished, so it's all good.

0:51 - After landing from your up-b, you roll away from his utilt. Nothing to criticize there. After rolling you dash dance for a couple of iterations. He jumps over you with a bair and then you jump away from him.

I'll tell you what you did wrong here. As soon as you started dash dancing, you should have been thinking "I'm waiting him to make a bad move. If he rolls towards me, I grab him. If he shoots a projectile, I shield it. If he dash attacks, I shield it and shield grab (or dash dance away and run back in and grab him)."

But in that moment he jumps over you with a bair that misses entirely. Your immediate response should have been to SH and uair or fair depending on the rhythm of your dash dance. At the very least, you should have recognized that he was in the air with limited options. Instead you just jumped away from him and limited your own options to bairing.

Not a huge deal. But it's absolutely crucial that you pay attention to the actions of your opponent and position yourself to punish mistakes.

0:54 - After rolling away, you space a couple ftilts nicely. Whenever you are doing any kind of spacing, be sure to pay attention to how your opponent gets around the obstacles you're throwing out. Notice that he rolls in toward you here. You dtilt several times, and he spotdodges them all and then manages to get away with a roll behind you.

Remember what Sveet was telling you about the dtilt. It's a very fast poke which allows you to do multiple things at the same time. While poking away at Link, you should have been thinking "I wonder what he'll do to escape my pressure. Will he roll? Will he continue spotdodging? If so, I can just time a grab so that it gets him as soon as his spotdodge ends." And then you should have read that roll and grabbed him. Oh well. :ohwell:

0:58 - You jump up and this time you notice that he's rolled directly in front of you. You punish this severely by locking him down with an fair, then catching him with an utilt -> tippered fsmash to set up for a potential edgeguard.

1:04 - He goes for the bomb recovery again! Seriously, you should just start grabbing the edge and bairing when he does that. It's easy as pie. Just grab edge -> hold away to let go of the ledge -> jump -> cstick toward him for a bair -> recover with reverse up-b. Instead you let him back on the stage.

1:07 - You go for a dash attack as he's lying on the ground. He rolls away and tries to grab you. ^_^

You're patient, dash dance offensively to check his options, and grab him out of his spotdodge. You uthrow. Then you throw out an uair to force him to double jump. He does so and descends with a dair. You fall back and allow him to land in front of you in dair lag, prepped for an fsmash which you deliver. That ends up being the stock due to sloppy recovery.

1:19 - Looks like a missed wavedash. Got you dsmashed. No big deal though.

1:24 - You jump into a bomb and get a little reckless. You use your double jump to come down with a fair, which gets you shield grabbed and thrown into the air. You fall down with bair -> shield, but Link is prepared and grabs you for a dthrow utilt auto combo.

It's very important that you l-cancel your aerials. You gain immense mobility that way. The first time, when your fair got shield grabbed, you could have l-cancelled the fair and then run through his shield. Then he would have missed his grab entirely. Same thing when you baired and then felt pressured enough to shield. There was enough space between you and Link for you to not have to worry about too much. You could have l-cancelled that bair and then short hopped straight up. The grab would have missed, due to you being in the air, and he would have been left open. When you l-cancel, you have very little lag, so you don't have to feel like you're in a bad situation necessarily everytime you land from an aerial.

1:34 - He pressures you with projectiles and eventually lands a bomb, which sets up for an fsmash to send you offstage. You do a good job of recovering this time. However, at 1:45 he dash attacks and pushes you off the stage via your shield. You panic and up-b too early, and you get fsmashed in the face.

Try not to get scared every time you're off the stage. Just remain calm and sweetspot that edge. ^_^

1:50 - You respawn and read his roll. Free fsmash! Woohoo!

1:57 - You dthrow, wait, and fsmash. By waiting you give him time to tech and spotdodge. Always time your fsmashes such that they hit immediately after the tech's invincibility frames end, but before he can do anything. Or just fsmash after he spot dodges. One or the other.

2:03 - You score an utilt -> fsmash combo to get Link offstage. You go for a spike again but he airdodges. 0_0

Whenever someone recovers high, they're going to either fall to the stage with an aerial or airdodge. You can wait for both and punish!

2:09 - Nice read on the roll.

2:14 - Link charges a dsmash and you run right into it! XD

Whenever someone charges a smash attack, just wavedash close enough to them that your fsmash will hit after they release theirs. Then wait, I repeat: wait until they release the smash. It should be pretty easy to time your fsmash. ^_^

Everyone punishes charged smashes differently. But I find waiting for the move to finish the least risky. A lot of people just run into the smashes because they're impatient.

2:30 - Link charged an fsmash, and you jumped right onto it. This situation is trickier because you were already in the air. You might have been able to counter it. I don't know. A lot of your options were covered in that situation. I probably would have just airdodged behind him to be 100% safe. Any other shenanigans might've still gotten you hit. X_x

2:33 - The projectiles pressure seems to be working on you. Someone already mentioned it, but wavedash out of shield is beastly in this match-up. You can literally approach him with your shield. Just dash dance until he throws the bomb. Immediately run towards him and shield the boomerang -> wavedash out of shield -> fsmash.

You mentioned in one of your posts that you have trouble stopping when you're in a dash. There are actually 4 effective ways to stop yourself in a dash (or gain control over your character mid-dash).

1. Click L or R while running to stop and shield instantly.
2. Hold down to crouch in place.
3. Jump. If you hold back you'll jump straight up instead of forward.
4. Wavedash.

They all have their uses.

2:48 - You fair and shield. Why shield? I guess you held the button too long after l-cancelling. If you had successfully l-cancelled, you could have followed up that fair with an nair or something equally devastating.

Part 2.

0:01 - Your friend up-b'ed in the air again. 0_0

I'm assuming he knows the move is stronger on the ground, right? It's also slightly safer.

0:09 - Okay. I can't overlook this any more. This is like the 4th time in the same match you've full jump daired and missed. Don't go for those spikes. They look cool but they're not likely to work when your opponent has that many options. Just wait for him to airdodge and fsmash him again. Sweet and simple. >_>

0:13 - Why dash dance? He's charging an fsmash. You could just space an fsmash guaranteed. I guess you expected the second hit of the fsmash. Mindgames? Haha.

Anyway, you got punished for your belated dash attack by a dthrow -> utilt for the kill. Yikes!

0:24 - The reason why the fsmash seemed to teleport and hit you is because when you faired, your hurtbox got extended enough for you to get hit. Anyway, stop jumping into smash attacks. >_<

0:43 - Instead of up-b'ing, you could have just let yourself drop and grabbed the edge. Never go on the stage with an aerial or any kind of move when you could just grab the edge. People will always wait for you to land on the stage and then punish you. The edge gives you invincibility frames and no lag from landing. Pretty obvious why it's the better choice.

0:47 - You get dsmashed straight up. You quickly use your jump. OMG! Don't do that! You let yourself take more damage from being in the "bubble". Plus, you used your jump, which limited your options as you landed. You ended up airdodging into a bomb -> fsmash and died.

Never use your double jump unnecessarily. That cuts your options at least in half!

1:05 - Why did you shield when he landed in front of you. You could have hit him with literally any move! Instead you allowed him to roll behind you again and get away from a dangerous situation.

1:09 - Try to avoid fairing when it's not going to hit.

1:14 - Nice edgeguard to wrap it up.

In summary, work on your edgeguarding. Don't go for flashy KOs like dairs when fsmash is 10000X more likely to work. Wait for your opponent to roll / spotdodge / airdodge. Being patient pays! Don't waste your double jump. And ... work on your tech skill. It will be very useful to you.

Hope this helps. Happy smashing!

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
0:05 - Hah! Didn't even notice that, despite how many times I've watched it. Yeah, I definitely play through instinct and feel in games...I suppose that's why Marth seems to fit me so well ^^;...Falcon I love playing, but Brawl's Wolf feels so clunky now :(....Btw, I knew bout the jabbin...didn't know ftilt was also a good choice, which brings me to my question; Which is better? Or is it situational on whether I should use ftilt or jab?

0:10 - Yeah. He keeps getting rusty with the timing, so he occasionally tries to practice it in the middle of a game. And yes, that was a bad dair. I've tried to not jump so much at edge games...so that's not much of a problem. I plan to get the WD trick down, but I've still gotta figure out how I want to do WD (Ya know, analog jump n wd with L/R n down, or jump with x/y n do it with down n L/R...) And I have seen that. I've been practicing it without hanging on the edge, but I definitely plan to try to hang onto the edge as well...

0:17 - Yeah, we have a ton of occurrences where we'll do an attack, and it'll narrowly hit...or in Link's dsmash case, hit me from A BOWSER BODY AND A HALF OF SPACE AWAY x.x.

0:24 - Yeah, I still had a bit of the newbish 'fsmash' habit in me then. It's MOSTLY gone now ^^; And I forgot that I always had a few 'sit there n wait' moments each game back then xD. But it was bout a month ago, so I should hope it's down significantly. Plus there are times where it won't respond to me flicking the stick to run or attack or w/e, so it won't register. Some of those 'sit there for too long' moments are that. But that's probably just a mix of 9 year old controller and not having the timing down just right yet.

0:40 - This I know, and I've only improved since then :3. Thanks to my controller tending to do a dair rather than a fair, I've learned some very nasty spots where people will still spike to their deaths, or hit the ground & bounce up before continuing back down away from the stage and towards their doom ^^.

0:45 - I'm VERY good at that sort of trick ^^. Doubly so with using DB as an added jump and fake out tactic. I believe it's done a few times in this video or at least one of them...

0:49 - The speed and knock back. Unfortunately, I forgot he was low on % ^^;....At least, I hope that was the reason xD

0:51 - I believe I was still getting used to DD back then. There were a LOT of times where I'd accidentally jump instead of continuing the DD, and instead of a sh, it'd be a full blown jump...Usually that situation doesn't happen much anymore...or if it does, i try to make sure it's a SH or at the least I'm covered (sometimes in situations where he's below and behind me, I'll use a DB to turn myself around for a fair in case he decides to rush or throw projectiles...) I also am trying to use Bair more. I keep forgetting how fast and dangerous it really is ^^;

0:54 - Nah, I hit him with the first dtilt. But beyond that....he dodged them T_T. And yesh, I've been trying to use dtilt for combos with grabs n such. However, my issue is a lot of times I'll try to grab or shield, and it'll do the opposite (IE I just powershieled something. I'm right next to him, I perss grab n it quick shields...again...and again....and again....speaking of which, what causes that? I've noticed plenty of times where my character will just keep shielding instead of grabbing x.x)

1:04 - Yesh. He tries not to do it so close to the stage now, because I've stopped trying to spike it so much lol....I just start punishing it with a fair or SB. And I've seen that combo plenty of times. Rest assured, when he comes later today, I will be trying to practice the bair reverse DS combo. I know what it is, I've seen it in action, I know the moves required, I've even done the reverse against CPU's...All that's left is to use it against him (AKA the human factor) Problem is, he mostly plays his annoying *** Sheik atm T_T

1:07 - Yeah he does that occasionally lol. ESPECIALLY with Mario's spike when he's just screwin 'round xD. Speaking of screwing around, he's actually been tryin out Marth for fun. It's actually very fun. If I can get him to read this, I could finally have that fun, challenging marth ditto I always wanted xD....(If I could just get him to stop abusing fair like he does with sheik T_T)

1:19 - Yep. I think I may have JUST started trying to actively use WD in fights back then.

1:24 - Yeah. Problem is I still have major issues with the timing in the heat of some times. I won't lie. I tend to hold it or press it too early or too late x.x

1:34 - Not so much panic as a misjudged distance x.x. I still need practice with sweetspotting the edge with DS. Occasionally I nail it, or I do a decent job...sometimes Im a lil short n he either hits me accidently or I fall...or I go too high...like so ^^;

1:50 - Yeah. That's one of the few patterns I HAVE pick up on that he does lol. See, I have an issue with pattern picking up. I just don't bother looking in a fight...I just....do. ^^;. I always say I'm like the Dark Knight Joker in that respect. I don't plan, I just do. And when things go my way...sometimes I just dunno what to do next (IE standing still or screwing up or getting bored :p)

1:57 - Actually, this is something I just realized I have MAJOR issues that I need to fix (Like...I realized this a day or 2 ago...)....I need to work on my timing to beat techs. I actually didn't know when they started becoming vulnerable until I read a bit more on the smash wiki. Now that I know, I'm just waiting for his *** to come over so we can play n I can try to do all these nice lil goodies ^^.

2:03 - Not always. I've seen some folks use that n then fall to the edge n grab it. I'm one of em :p. But I WILL try to keep that in mind ^^.

2:14 - Actually if I recall right, that was one of those times where I was either trying to time it to go right after the attack...or I had tried to sh fair n it didnt register the jump...so.... :/ N yeah, I know bout the whole beating it thing. Only problem is getting close enough. For some reason, me n my friend have noticed Link's dsmash seems to have varying sized hitboxes. I once got hit by his smash with a bowser's body space of size, maybe 1 n 1/2, of space between me n his back side n BOOM, I got tipped n sent flying. I always run into it because I'm trying to get the timing down to either hit right before it comes out, or right after, and try to start a combo....usually the hope is a ken combo, but not always my aim.

2:30 - I think I tried to fair it, but it didn't register the fair. Again, I REALLY need to get a new controller. Even if this WAS my spare...it's still 9 years old ^^; lol

2:33 - Yesh. And that is one of my main things I will attempt to gain some control over if I can this long 5 day weekend ^^. Believe me, the thought of ME pulling off THAT combo against, especially if it tips....OOOOH it just makes me giddy lol.

1. The shield one I know, but it's not very offensive in my opinion. More of a fake out before approaching with say....a dd into grab or shfair or some such....Course thats my opinion.
2. The crouch one I've TRIED a few times, and I KNOW it's what I want....but everytime I try, it seems like my guy keeps on running :/. I'll give it another few tries though. Maybe It didn't register the down, or maybe I was screwin somethin up...Because I REALLY wanna be able to do the dash into dtilt combo....
3. Jump is a given. But I was mostly referring to breaking dash without jumping. IE the combos where u instantly go from dashing to half way through your dtilt xD.
4. Working on the WD ^^.
And yesh, they DO all have their uses. However, I was looking for the crouch/dtilt one....which I should hope is #2. So thanks.

2:48 - Yeah. I said it earlier; I tend to hold L/R too long. It's one of those 'death grip' things I need to work on PREVENTING ^^; hehe....

-----------
Part 2
-----------
0:01 - He actually learned (and I, unfortunately, was on the receiving end with NO f*cking clue...) that it's his best edgeguard...So I would assume so. Back then, he just loved pausing, or at least watching, Link get off the 'final slash' of his Whirlwind.

0:09 - Yeah, I've tried to lay off that. I try to make sure It's more likely to succeed now. Like I said, that's almost a month old fight, and if I can, I'll have some newer ones (of probably link AND sheik...although hes rusty with link probably) up later tonight....

0:13 - Because for some reason, whenever we compete for Fsmashes....his fsmash always seems to have a farther reach than mine :/....Although it could just be poor spacing. I will definitely keep that in mind n be checking. Overall, we keep noticing a lot of weird instances where my attack hit boxes don't quite stretch to their full height, or his link will suddenly be holding a master sword equivalent of Sephiroth's Masamune -.-

0:24 - Well, occasionally I'll figure that out. But I kinda realized that there. And yesh, I tried to cut down on that considerably when I realized how much I was trying to beat the timing...and failing ^^; lol.

0:43 - Oh most definitely. I was just hoping he'd spam a quite 1-2 and miss his second, or that my Up-b would connect with his hitbox before his fsmash hit me. It might've worked if I had done a reverse Up-B, but alas, the plan backfired...Course, didnt even know what reversed Up-b for marth was/did back then so....

0:47 - Yes I know, but I was trying to get out of the helpless state faster. That's actually one of the things I was curious about. How do people break out of helpless so quickly without accidentally wasting a jump? O.o.

1:05 - Alas, one of those 'delayed response' situations...Plus I thought he was already preparing an attack xD.

1:09 - I do. I just went for it, in case he went for a quick 1-2, since as far as I can remember, I think my reasoning was, back then, that my attack would've registered first....

1:14 - Thank you.

Yeah, I've definitely improved my edge game since that vid....Hell, I've improved in just bout every way since then ^^. Which is GOOD xD. Being patient does play...I thought I was very patient in that game....at least at parts >.> XD. I try not to waste the doublejump, but the only way I know to get out of helpless quickly is to wobble, and unfortunately I always seem to accidently use my jump :/....And tech skill I am definitely working on.
-------------
BTW I had a few questions.
1. We've noticed occurrences where we NEVER used our double jump...but we don't have it when we fall, or it won't work until it's too late. And I mean, we're not tumbling through the air...we're just falling in our , and it won't jump....Any noted reason of this, or any possible explanations? I know occasionally we DO use our jump n don't realize or forget, or we'll touch the ground or edge, get hit off, and we don't have our jump back but...it's rather frustrating :/....
2. Occasionally I notice times where I'll jump off the ground...and it'll do the midair jump animation off of the ground, thus limiting me to one jump....sometimes multiple attempts in a row...any reason why? :/
3. Who CAN Marth chain grab? Because I can never chain my friend's link or sheik....hell, even when he tried fox, he went flying higher than pro players did, and usually his fox was at looow % (talkin 10-20% max is what im thinkin of....sometimes, even 0%)
=================
Thanks for the critique guys. I really think it'll help...I hope it does at least xD. I may have some more videos up within 16-24 hours, if any of ya are willing to critique my improved play ^^....

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
0:54 - Nah, I hit him with the first dtilt. But beyond that....he dodged them T_T. And yesh, I've been trying to use dtilt for combos with grabs n such. However, my issue is a lot of times I'll try to grab or shield, and it'll do the opposite (IE I just powershieled something. I'm right next to him, I perss grab n it quick shields...again...and again....and again....speaking of which, what causes that? I've noticed plenty of times where my character will just keep shielding instead of grabbing x.x)
If you press (and hold) Z while in the lag from another move, you'll light shield as soon as the lag from that move ends. I don't know why, but Z registers as shield if you hold it while your character is ending another animation.

-------------
BTW I had a few questions.
1. We've noticed occurrences where we NEVER used our double jump...but we don't have it when we fall, or it won't work until it's too late. And I mean, we're not tumbling through the air...we're just falling in our , and it won't jump....Any noted reason of this, or any possible explanations? I know occasionally we DO use our jump n don't realize or forget, or we'll touch the ground or edge, get hit off, and we don't have our jump back but...it's rather frustrating :/....
2. Occasionally I notice times where I'll jump off the ground...and it'll do the midair jump animation off of the ground, thus limiting me to one jump....sometimes multiple attempts in a row...any reason why? :/
3. Who CAN Marth chain grab? Because I can never chain my friend's link or sheik....hell, even when he tried fox, he went flying higher than pro players did, and usually his fox was at looow % (talkin 10-20% max is what im thinkin of....sometimes, even 0%)
=================
Thanks for the critique guys. I really think it'll help...I hope it does at least xD. I may have some more videos up within 16-24 hours, if any of ya are willing to critique my improved play ^^....
1. Sometimes you can use your double jump accidentally while trying to DI. Also, you can sometimes get hit immediately after you double jump, such that your character doesn't get to actually jump, but the double jump will be used up all the same. Also, if you are in hit stun (for example, when you get stage spiked), you will be unable to do anything for a certain amount of time, depending on how great the stun is.
2. Maybe you're pressing jump twice really quickly? I don't know the answer to this.
3. Marth can only chaingrab Fox and Falco with his uthrow.

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Really? Cause I kind of did it to a CPU Ganon, but it may have been escape-able...Okay, so what % can he CG them, and why is it my friend always went flying really high whenever I uthrow him even at low to mid % (well...really high in comparison to all the examples I see of it being successful)

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
A lot of things work on CPUs that don't work on humans. *giggles*

Chain grabs on spacies are easiest to do on FD (where they're guaranteed).

You can start chain grabbing Fox at 0% till about 27%. At that point he can shine out with no DI, so you have to pivot grab -> uthrow -> utilt -> regrab -> uthrow -> utilt / aerial / fsmash, depending on DI. I wouldn't worry about mastering that for now though, unless you want a challenge.

If you uthrow Falco at 0%, you cannot regrab him if he DIs behind you. So it's best to just fthrow and quickly regrab him before he can react. It's not guaranteed, but it's good enough. Then you start with the uthrows. The chaingrab goes till like 30% on Falco, I think. Then you just utilt to nonsense combos.

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Well what I meant was I tried throwing my friend, and I believe he was under 27%....round 10% and 0% are 2 of the attempt 'sets'...I'd throw him...and he'd go high enough that by the time he comes back down near me, he has regained control....Yet, in vids I see of succesful CG's, he seems to only have 3-4 cm of space on the vid/screen between the characters....Just a lil confused by all that :/. (I don't suppose this board has a live IRC chat or something like many of the brawl boards do, eh? ^^;)
EDIT: My friend when he screwed round on fox I mean....

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
No IRC chat, but most of us have AIM.

btw will be editing with a few critiques after i finish the next zelda temple :p

refcode-Tipsy1

i know i win in this one but i'd like to know what i'm doing wrong so i can get a more satisfactory win.
Me vs Anthony (Sheik) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow-GQtkaQKs

i've only played this pika so i wanna know exactly what advice you have against the character in general.
Me vs Samurai (Pikachu) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1dDKdSvJO8&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC9qWRIe2Hk&feature=channel

Me vs Nude (Falcon) he isn't sandbagging as hard in this one, tell me what you think. i felt kind of sloppy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CdVqVQDKt8&feature=channel

Me vs Tomacawk (Falcon/Fox) he's pretty good he SD'd a helluva lot. oh and fox tips please. pun intended
vs sheik:

To edgeguard, your bread and butter should be grabbing the edge->semi-early roll->tipper fsmash. When she starts going for distance into the stage mix in grab edge->jump off bair or grab edge->ledgehop nair.

I can't stress how important accuracy is in this match-up. If you ever wiff an attack you lose all advantages you have gained and likely have put yourself into bad position.

In this match-up i would rarely try to call her out on fthrow->fsmash, and i suggest using fsmash as sparingly as possible.

I did like how you started grabbing her out of her ledge rolls.

When comboing, tech chasing is good, but uthrow is as good or better. Once she is above 15% or so, uthrow and follow it up. Most people jump to avoid the utilt, so you can usually fullhop fair her to simultaneously take her jump and start a decent combo. Sheik has very bad horizonal movement, which keeps her in your fair combos longer than most other characters. Abuse this things together and you will do well.

From a grab at 0% i would dthrow tech chase until ~10% or until i get good stage position. On DL i like to get center stage before i uthrow, but on other stages i prefer the platforms for obvious reasons.

vs pikachu

You kinda wrecked samauri and i don't have much pikachu experience so i'll just give some general advice from what i saw...

When you get a fthrow and they don't DI away, fsmash. In marth dittos i used to regrab if they didn't DI correctly, but i realized at any time a fsmash is better in every way. Just take what they give you.

Overall my strat vs pikachu is abuse his lack of range and space nairs and fairs all over the place.

vs falcon

Again, you kinda ***** nude so i'll just give you a few tips from what i saw.

Always be wary of platforms vs falcon. Both of you can combo each other very well if the other is above you, so try to stay grounded. You can CC his nair, but you can't CC if you jump.

Falcon is sort of like sheik. If you wiff, you're in danger and you have to play safe and smart. Stick with retreating auto canceled nairs and retreating fairs OoS. If he gets grab happy, don't hesitate to roll a little bit to gain some advantages.

You really don't want to be trapped with your back to the edge and same goes for him. Your best position is at the inside edge of a platform with him on the opposite side of the platform with his back to the edge. If you don't have that, you want to be dash dancing under a platform with him controlling the opposite side of the stage.

When you get a grab, dthrow. Don't even bother uthrowing unless he is 40%+ or 15%+ with a platform above you or you will just get a mediocre tech chase.

When you need to approach, be cautious. sh dair goes above and beats both your dtilt and your dash attack. Because of his speed, dtilt approaches are fairly useless. dash attack is useful if you can catch him dashing away before he gets the chance to jump.

Vid for vs tomacawk wasn't linked, so if you want it critiqued send me the link.

going to bed now. were traveling up north a little ways to a smashfest tomorrow. maybe we will record and i can toss up a few videos.

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
I have significantly improved...however, my friend broke his controller....He has slightly anger issues. For instnae, my Dr. Mario went from being down a life with his sheik at 2 lives 0% to 1 life and I only took bout 30%....thats when he broke it. So uh...when things dont go as expected, he can really go crazy on it. Controller lasted like a month or so....and yet his other one lasted since the release of the game cube so I dunno :/...Also claimed he will 'never play this game again'. Im sure its just the whole 'im pissed at him winning so much' rage but...new vids against human players could take some time....maybe i should sandbag more in my games....I always seem to destroy people to the extent they refuse to play with me...like my brother n MtG XD

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Well, when I've been practicing Dr. Mario as more than just 'for the lulz' for just barely a week or 2, and I beat his Sheik that he's been practicing in a comp sense for a month or 2, maybe 3 now...Well...lol.
My issue isnt just Melee, but games in general. My bro has known about magic the gathering and has been playing on n off for yeaaaars (since he was a freshman in high school, and hes almost 26 now). I watched him play a little, looked at his cards, and tried to join him when I was real young, but as with his attempts to get me into the old World of Darkness Werewolf the Apocolypse...I just couldnt wrap my head round it. We both get back into it (or rather, him back into it and me into it for real) in 06 or 07 (A little before or after they first released the Cold snap series) and for the most part, he beat me on account of experience and more cards or I tied on account of beginners luck..Now, I can beat him with any of my 4 main decks, and he dislikes playing because 'we always have the same cards' and 'theres no one else to play', but I suspect it has to at least deal a little with my constantly whooping him now....All in all, thats generally how it goes for most things. Someone will have been playing it for years. Either I will but not as seriously, or I havent been into as long or at all....Ill get into it or start practicing, and whoop, inside of 3 to 6 months Im tying with, or whooping, your sorry ***....usually ^^;. Just once Id like to play with a friend who breaks that pattern...x.x

Niko45

Smash Master
Sveet:

Vs Marth:

Stay on the ground. Generally the Marth that stays below the other Marth wins the ditto. You're jumping, full hopping even, a lot I guess out of nervousness in situations where he has you outspaced near the ledge or coming off a kill where he is chasing you with invincibility frames. Whatever he gets you with on the ground is going to be much less crippling than eating 3 fairs and an fsmash so just make a conscious effort to stay grounded. Just wavedashing in and OOS, rolling, and mixing in platform wavelands makes it pretty difficult to catch you. You're generally attempting too many aerials in this matchup from bad positioning. This is one of those rare matchups where fair is not your friend on approach. It doesn't keep marth out. DD and look for grabs, dtilts, or shield to bait an fsmash. Once you get an initial hit then go for the aerials, which string together absurdly well. I notice right now fthrow fsmash is working on him (not really against you, though, good job). Once he starts catching on you should start up throwing because it can be quite a task for marth just to get back down to the ground. There's too much predictable fsmash on stage too.

Vs Fox:

You're getting snagged on platforms. It looks like your waveland/platform game needs a lot of work. Try to get your movements down sharply on them and this will also help you avoid getting hit while he's chasing you with invincibility. You're going for some really questionable rising dairs OOS, which are really not going to pay you off even if they connect. I would be wavedashing OOS to safety and resetting in those spots. In general it seems that you need to work on staying grounded and really camping those grabs. Nair in place to a retreating dash dance over and over until they do something wrong or you feel they're hypnotized enough that a running dtilt will connect. Be more patient when recovering. Fox will get off the ledge for you sometimes, don't just automatically up B to stage.

Generally, work on your platform game to improve your overall movement and make a conscious effort to stay grounded. Recognize when you are out of position and focus on getting yourself to safety. Like, don't try to fall on your opponent with dair when you are trying to get back to the ground. Use an air dodge, do something tricky, and get yourself back to a neutral position. Fight the instinct to attack from a vulnerable position as it will only make things worse.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
The match up VS Fox is basically the campiest match up Marth has. Don't approach Fox. It's a horrible idea. Always have him approach you or commit to going "pew pew" and then rush in on him. Hes so much faster than you that he can just easily escape your approach and go, "lol, i'm the best character. time to do u throw to crap or shine you." Make him make the first move, get the grab, don't mess up on tech chases or opportunities for follow ups, and when he gets off stage don't ever let him come back.

That's basically that whole match up. Don't mess up when hes off stage, (I always say to myself, "Expect the illusion but BE READY for the upB." ) make him make the first move, grab him, make him pay for getting grabbed. Never nair in the match up unless its to punish a trigger happy spot dodger, rarely bair, and only fsmash if its for an edge guard or in a combo.

Thats how I fight Fox.

Against yourself Niko really covered this nicely. STAY ON THE GROUND until you land a solid hit to follow up in the air or you get a grab and u throw him. Uthrow to strings of u tilts, uairs, fairs, whatever works really nicely at early percents. I usually like to see if they know how to DI out of the F throw Fsmash crap near the ledge and if they do then work from the u throw. See how the Marth reacts to you edge hogging while they recover, what they do from the f throw near the ledge, etc. and punish that accordingly.

Marth dittos are stupid but D tilt, f tilt, and grabs are your best options. Dont fsmash or aerial randomly on stage because you're asking to get *****. Wavedashing to help your spacing IMO is really nice in this match up as well because it keeps Marth in front of you as opposed to limiting your options to bair or grab. W/ wavedashing in and out you can f or d tilt, grab, punish spot dodging w nair, and keep marths strength (opponents in front of him) active.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
^ i completely disagree. The matchup vs fox is all about keeping him in your tipper length. If he is outside, he has advantage. Gotta keep him locked down, take stage control, and force him off. And wtf you taking about never using nair or bair? Thats stupid.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
nair is only good to follow up, never an initial approach. Even then, fair combos better and links better. Nair is a finisher and marth has better finishers VS Fox (F tilt, fsmash, d tilt, dair)

I personally find Marths nair to be one of his worst aerials.

Bair is good if they are fire foxing above you onto the stage.

Dart

Smash Lord
nair is only good to follow up, never an initial approach. Even then, fair combos better and links better. Nair is a finisher and marth has better finishers VS Fox (F tilt, fsmash, d tilt, dair)

I personally find Marths nair to be one of his worst aerials.

Bair is good if they are fire foxing above you onto the stage.
marth has some of the best aerials in the game, so thats not really a big deal tbh. Nair is good for crossing them up when you ledgehop and getting them offstage. so it has its uses too.:laugh:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
nair is one of the safest moves on the stage, covering you for longer than any other move with pretty good range, and it auto cancels even if you shffl it at the fastest rate. Its also one of the safest moves on a shield because of the range of coverage and the lack of lag on the ground.

as for follow ups, marth is one of the best tech chasers in the game. You will either hit them off the stage into an edgeguard or they will land on the stage and get techchased into a grab.

edit: how to space a nair on a shield http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1kCd9WnJeI#t=26s

Niko45

Smash Master
Totally agree that nair is amazing. Most of Marths moves have really quick hitboxes and leave him lagging with no hitbox covering him, giving fox big windows to punish. Nair is fantastic for covering yourself and 4 frames of lag is great. Pretty sure you can space fastfallen nairs on shields as well. Normally I'd rather follow up with fairs because they can lead to fsmash or dair. Offstage nair hits are easy to DI meaning you won't have the greatest edgeguarding opportunity.

Retroking2000

Smash Master
i remember when i played marth dittos alot my friend just kept dashing behind me for grabs

uptilt completely closes that option.

maybe its the NTSC style but in marth mirrors we just following anything leading to upairs.
just to force the jump .

also one thing is that i notice is that you tend to prelong your combos where you could have just fsmash and then proceeded with the ledgeguard.

when it came to ledgeguarding i dont think you make use for the invincibility .

you should try jumping back cstick fairs. to close options.

wavedash dtilt is excellent on shield .

other than that great marth =D

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Tai, I watched a couple games. Retroking makes a good point about you choosing to extend combos rather than cut the merriment short with a timely finisher. Once, on FD, you fthrew Forward off the stage and then dash attacked, which resulted in him being put back on solid ground. I think in that situation you could have just fsmashed, possibly taking his double jump in the process and, in any case, setting up for a relatively easy edgeguard.

To do well against good players, you have to just play really really gay. Imagine you're Mew2king and channel that level of homosexual Marth energy into your game. I can see that helping you do better.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
haha thanks for the help guys

yeah, killing early has always been my achilles heel. it's something i need to work on.

i probably also need to work on staying grounded a little better and trying to trap/space him kinda like he does to me alot. it's actually something i've been thinking about before this weekend.

i think i just have to be a little more patient but still really mindful of what he's doing. i also need to become more familiar with all my approaching and retreating options and how they're useful in which situation.

Niko45

Smash Master
TAI, 2 major things:

1) I'm cringing watching you miss tech chases off fthrow/dthrow on stage. Unless you are throwing off stage, you should up throw. Marth has a hell of a time getting back down. He's gonna eat damage if you follow him well, and it's much harder for him to regain momentum after up throw than a throw that he can tech and escape.

2) ur getting killed on the ledge. He's waiting for the waveland or ledgehop aerial with dtilt and fair. Just use Marth's regular stand up to get up safely out of that range, then see what he does. Rolling inward is nice for flipping the momentum if he tries to rush you for a grab or something. Even if you roll inward and get grabbed or something it's not as bad as getting smacked back off stage from the ledge. Just focus on being tricky and evasive from that position and not so much on attacking him.

Edit: Another ledge option is to jump from the ledge and hold away immediately. From his position this could bait him to jump and try to fair you while you hold back and just fastfall back onto the ledge. If he falls for it you should then be able to waveland or aerial up from the ledge with him out of position.

You can also ledge stall high (unsafely) to mess with him. At his spacing he won't be able to reach you but it could bait him to do something. Ledge stalling low is not fooling anybody, he's just going to wait for you to come up and dtilt because marth is so slow coming up that it's obvious when it's happening.

You also have a lot of CC grab and up tilt opportunities that you're missing or not going for.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Edit: Another ledge option is to jump from the ledge and hold away immediately. From his position this could bait him to jump and try to fair you while you hold back and just fastfall back onto the ledge. If he falls for it you should then be able to waveland or aerial up from the ledge with him out of position.
what exactly do you mean by this?

like, jumping on the stage but holding back so you just grab the edge again?

Niko45

Smash Master
Just pressing jump while on the edge as opposed to letting go of ledge > double jump. If you hold back immediately after pressing jump, the jump will launch you high just over the ledge instead of inward to like the middle of the side platform. The idea is to bait him to try to fair you thinking you're coming inward, then you either fast fall underneath him or fastfall back to the ledge and then come up underneath him. It's the same kinda mindgame Ganons will try from the ledge against Marth.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Just pressing jump while on the edge as opposed to letting go of ledge > double jump. If you hold back immediately after pressing jump, the jump will launch you high just over the ledge instead of inward to like the middle of the side platform. The idea is to bait him to try to fair you thinking you're coming inward, then you either fast fall underneath him or fastfall back to the ledge and then come up underneath him. It's the same kinda mindgame Ganons will try from the ledge against Marth.
OHHH the actual ledge jump

yeah, i do that sometimes, but it's something i don't actively do as part of my game.

i'll keep that in mind, dude.

thanks for the other tips too.

Top Bottom