• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Everyone needs to change their RDB file.

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
We should have done this years ago, I will no longer play with idiots who haven't changed their RDB files to the much newer (but old as hell) RDB file from PJ64's website. Only way to prove that you have the new RDB file is to get rid of the "!" at the end of your rom so it looks like "Super Smash Bros. (U)" after refreshing your ROM LIST.

It doesn't take much work for everyone to do it.

EDIT: I will edit the instructions on the first post:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.pj64-emu.com/downloads/project64/updates/ Go here

Download "RDB & GameFAQ v1.6.016" file

Stick it in your PJ64k folder.

Refresh rom list.

It lags less.

Have fun.

Get Good.

EDIT: Because you all need your hands held to do simple instructions, make sure after you download the file you UNZIP it and extract the RDB file out before you place it into your PJ64k file.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DMoogle

A$
Good job posting a link, or instructions, or the advantages of it, anything that hasn't already been posted. Very helpful.

DMoogle

A$
I don't need my hands held to do simple instructions, I was just commenting, with a sarcastic tone, that the OP was pointless. A lot of people have said to get the new file, but this is the first time I've seen a link posted.

Also, when I first went to the PJ64 homepage, I thought that it wasn't very well laid out, but that's because NoScript was blocking the navigation bar, which (until I enabled it again) made it rather difficult to find the "Downloads" section.

One other thing: I don't lag (unless I'm torrenting or my ISP is being screwy, with is rare), I just lag out. Hopefully this will fix that, but I doubt it.

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
Post in this thread if you agree with me! Change your RDB files! Lets get this over with.

The other RDB file someone made that keeps the "!" is not a good idea, since it doesn't offer proof that EVERYONE in the game has the new RDB file.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I'll change as soon as people change. I've tried going it with the new file, but I can't get a game. Now, maybe the reason for that is that everyone has adopted my "will change when people change" attitude, but it's really no fun waiting for half an hour for someone with the right rdb to drop in, and I really don't have a problem with the old one; I don't normally lag either way. I suspect that my case is representative of a good many others, and I'll continue trying the new RDB every once in a while, but I'm not hopeful.

malva00

Smash Master
With the new RDB my browser's speed has improved tremendously, and Gammelnorsk's picture loaded faster than normal. Good test

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
The new RDB file will auto take away the [!] from the Super Smash Bros. rom.
Everyone should make a copy of your current pj64k folder, and put the new RDB file in the new copy. That way you can play with the old and the new.

Edit: You have to refresh the rom directory for it to be auto-set to "Super Smash Bros. (U)"

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
The new RDB file will auto take away the [!] from the Super Smash Bros. rom.
Everyone should make a copy of your current pj64k folder, and put the new RDB file in the new copy. That way you can play with the old and the new.

Edit: You have to refresh the rom directory for it to be auto-set to "Super Smash Bros. (U)"
Why would you want this? Just have one PJ64k folder with the new RDB file and use that. The point of this thread is to motivate people to switch over so we don't have to deal with this constant lag and get people up to date with the times. The RDB File is OLD and we should have switched a very long time ago, probably before you even played ssb64 with us online.

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
So you can still play with the people who haven't changed yet; and not worry about waiting so long for a game because people have the, "I won't change until everyone else does" attitude.

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
New RDB file is a proof that people still have poor pc and lag while playing PJ64K
That doesn't even mean anything what are you talking about?

The new RDB file benefits all your illegal N64 games. There is absolutely no point in not having this file.

EDIT: If anything, it proves that most people who play smash online are fools who don't keep up to date on anything and most of them don't even know the specs of their own computer.

sMoke4jointz

Smash Rookie
i'll switch if u get rid of that ****ty MUPEN emulator

actually, people shouldnt switch until isai gets rid of mupen

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
That doesn't even mean anything what are you talking about?

The new RDB file benefits all your illegal N64 games. There is absolutely no point in not having this file.

EDIT: If anything, it proves that most people who play smash online are fools who don't keep up to date on anything and most of them don't even know the specs of their own computer.

Well, go ahead and use it. But I don't see the point in using something that ''benefits'' me only by reducing a non-existing lag, that I should be having?

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
"If it's not broken why fix it", seems to be the attitude here, but for the people who do want the new file, it's no good saying: I'll change when everyone else does, because if everyone else thinks like that we'll never advance onto other things that can really benefit the playing experience in the future.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I think for the most part, ciaza explained it perfectly. Not many people have a problem with the current one, so there is no need to change it.

You don't know how to read either. :(
Sorry, I have trouble reading. Can someone tell me what this says? :p lol jk :)

Dash Fox, you've posted the link, given reasons, etc. Now let us decide individually whether we want to switch or not. Many people don't, so no point forcing them to. People have the right to choose which file they want to use.

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
It'd be kind of selfish to not do it, just because yourself doesn't need it. It benefits other players. Not everyone can have a super computer or super connection, unless you'd like to supply it for them with your finance.

Sensei

Smash Lord
Why not just use PJ64k v1.6? Come to think of it, why haven't we done that a long time ago? Everybody uses v1.4 or something. I think there was a reason, but I forgot it if there was one. Mupen sucks on my cpu, at least when I try to p2p on it.

DMoogle

A$
Why not just use PJ64k v1.6? Come to think of it, why haven't we done that a long time ago? Everybody uses v1.4 or something. I think there was a reason, but I forgot it if there was one. Mupen sucks on my cpu, at least when I try to p2p on it.
There is a reason: it was never developed past past v0.13 core 1.4.

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
I want proofs. Everyone says it runs faster, smoother and better, but I didn't see any proofs of that. You can say watever you want about that file, but when I see it for myself I'll change. In my case changing woudn't affect anything on MY cpu since I run it at 60 fps. So video proofs?

Make WOTG use it and see it if helps his awfull speed of playing. o_O

malva00

Smash Master
lol agony loves posting in this topic

*waits for next post*

those were some good teams I had yesterday in Universe didn't DS once in LAN. more people should play on LAN

Battlecow

Play to Win
see now the way i see it, it's a choice between playing and making a moral stand. I've been sitting in G64 for 15 minutes now, and the place is packed, but not one person has the RDB file or is willing to get it. theres noone in universe so...
yeah

DMoogle

A$
I upgraded, and I seem to lag out just as often as I did before, and I don't notice any "smoother" gameplay. Not sure how it can get smoother than a consistently 60fps though...

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman
I was looking into the rdb file and I don't think it's a simple removal of the [!] in the file name
There's other settings in there that seem to have been changed. I'm just trying to clear up some confusion there might be with people questioning the new rdb file.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I followed WotG's advice and copied my p64k folder, and put the rbd file in the new one, since some of my friends upgraded but some didn't, and I wanted the option of playing with both.

Overall I didn't notcie much difference, but then again I might have lagged out when not using it, so you never know.

malva00

Smash Master
From my experience the RDB has nothing to do with helping DS rate or LAG out rate or "smoothing" out the gameplay. All it does in my experience is take away the lag that some people have when the match first starts or when going from screen to screen.

Years ago I noticed it took away the lag I have when the match first starts, so I would wait for people to come into my game, start the game, and point out the lag that happens at the start of the match. When it lagged, I gave them the RDB, and then we tried again and pointed out how the lag was gone, and they could see it too. Others came in and didn't have any lag at the start of the match, so I said they didn't need it. But then people refreshed their rom list sooner or later (I would tell them not to) and then there were a lot of confused people lol so they prob downloaded pj64k again or something.

Everything else is coming from other people. I think tommy said the game feels smoother. Who knows what others have claimed.

Top Bottom