• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO RULESET ANNOUNCED. The ruleset has been updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aesir

Smash Master
Ya know, IIRC, Korean DJ won the Brawl tournament (Nintendo's I think) that had items on. I'm sure pros will go, dominate, and place, but it doesn't mean they'll enjoy it as much ^_^'' I think most people agree that SWF users will likely take the highest places in Evo.
Thats because we're good at OUR game, and know the inner workings of OUR game.

Which is more then I can say for a good portion of them..>_>

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
No competitive smash player would use those rules. Lolol. And I have already gotten used to the casual elitists. I just straight up tell them they are a bunch of ***s or they suck. Sure thats being a ****, but they don't realize how much damage they do to smash.

BOYCOTT EVO NOW.

Obviously competitive smashers will still have their skill with them. But its not enough to overcome a smash ball, thrown star rod/baseball bat or explosive.

srry for the swearing. I love you.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Keep the flaming/swearing down. I don't want to actually be forced to issue infractions :/

RDK

Smash Hero
The only reason I'd go now is just to see the looks on the faces of those idiots from SRK when they realize their analysis and weeks of hard work on Brawl have been wasted. It's funny that they think they can jump right over us and appeal to the MLG bigwigs about how Brawl should be played.

frankisvital

Smash Journeyman
This complaining is almost as ******** as the rules. If you don't want to use the ruleset, then don't go to the tournaments that use them. Judging by this thread alone, it's unlikely it'll even succeed, and, if it does, it's not like there won't be tournaments using the traditional rules.

It seems we're going to witness a schism in the Brawl community... It really is sad, you know? The best part about these forums (despite all the constant flaming, *****ing and common idiocy) is the interaction between new players and the more experienced and accomplished ones. Most new players aren't ********, and can and do learn from the vast resources here. Even if they take those skills back to an "unofficial" arena, it's still great that we as a community are able to learn and grow so well simply by interacting with each other. Unfortunately, the insensitivity and stubbornness present on both sides is most likely going to tear this nice little arrangement apart, and we'll all be worse for it.

BlackYoshi7

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully their attendance is horrible and they just drop Brawl from their lineup if this is how they are going to set rules. Smash Balls? Are you serious? Have you seen what the Landmaster does? And also XD at allowing stages with walls and walk off edges. Do they even know that D3 has an infinite chain grab against a ton of characters that can just walk someone off a stage, or just infinitely grab them against a wall for 999 damage? Or are they too busy chasing after hammers and smash balls to notice?

If you guys want to show your distaste for the ruleset, don't go. It's that easy to make that **** go away.

S2

Smash Lord
The ruleset is a crack up. But someone really ought to tell them that April Fool's was last month.

On a serious note...

I'll agree with SamuraiPanda that good players will still show up. That's what happened with GS's tournament, it was dominated by SWF members who were very public in complaining that it was not run well (bad ruleset). Where there is money and prizes, there are good players - even if there is complaining over how the tournament is being run.

The tournament organizers for EVO will probably listen more if the top placing players outright acknowledge that the ruleset is stupid and imbalanced.

As much as I hate to say it, the worst thing that could happen is if Smash is a total distaster at EVO. That just tells the organizers that it's not worth hosting Smash at all. As a community we should hold out hope that they'll adopt traditional tournament rules in future years - the last thing we want is for Brawl to be dropped completely from a major venue.

We want to see Smash's competitive scene thriving and growing, EVO's rules might suck... but at least this is getting us exposure at a major venue. Just hold out hope that next year the ruleset is a little more catered to the normally agreed upon ruleset.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
I smell johns. Lots of em.

If anyone does go to these, can someone record the johns as match highlights?

Im sure we at least appreciate this, and it's getting brawl a little more 'out there', but really, if you're going to do something, do it right or dont do it at all. I guess i sort of assumed it was a joke thread at the whole items thing :ohwell:

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
They're obviously a bunch of idiots. Did you guys read the thread in which they discussed the rules? They had problems deciding whether or not to ban Spear Pillar. Seriously, Spear Pillar! Let's see if they did ban it in the end...

Glaring idiocies in the ruleset:
* 1st stage being a custom stage. What kind of morons are these? Custom content that affects the game is always banned! They're supposedly Competitive gamers, they should know this.
* "Excessive stalling is not prohibited" ... "and can be enforced by a tournament director only. This will result in a loss of the match.". I'm sorry, what? It's not prohibited, but the tourney organizers might feel like going "Hey, I don't like that!" and you'll lose?
* "Abusing terrain to not engage the enemy" - Do they mean camping? I surely hope not since they're supposedly Competitively players, they should know that camping is a legit, if not annoying, tactic.
* 2 Stock, 3 Min timer, 3/5 Games, I'm sorry, what? Two stock? With 1 minute and 30 seconds per stock?! Half the games will time out because of camping/bad players who are just bad at ending games fast!
* Items on medium spawn - I'll say "No" to begin with and then reserve further judgment once I've looked through the items list.
* Sudden Death will decide the outcome of the game. - Sudden Death will most probably decide the outcome of several sets since you're gonna have time outs most of the time! Why not use the most used rule? The one with the least % wins, just like in any other fighting game?
* Items that should not be allowed: Mr. Saturn, Unira, Food, Smash Ball, Hammer, Golden Hammer, Motion-Sensor Bomb (the Motion-Sensor Bomb can latch onto edges, preventing edge-recovery without setting them off... free damage even if you tech it for survival).
* Wow, they did ban Spear Pillar in the end. They were too stupid to ban 75m, for instances, though. Idiots the whole bunch of them.

EVO are obviously a bunch of n00bs with absolutely no insight into Competitive Smash. I saw AlphaZealot post over there, they obviously chose not to listen to him as I doubt Alpha would think 2 stocks, 3 min is a good idea.

You dont understand that EVO isnt a noob organization, they will go where the competition does, if not this year, then next year.
They're obviously n00b when it comes to Smash. Why didn't they just ask reliable Smashers with insight into how the rules should be instead of letting just anyone on SRK vote on how the rules should be. Either they're all idiots or they chose these rules because they just want a lot of money and they think these rules will attract the most random Casual players.

These rules are a joke. It's gonna be interesting to see if any notable Smashers turn up to this.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
This ruleset is bad i agree, but the organization is big and will probably change their ruleset to fit competitive needs. Just spam them with hate mail and death threats to their families.

Aesir

Smash Master
This ruleset is bad i agree, but the organization is big and will probably change their ruleset to fit competitive needs. Just spam them with hate mail and death threats to their families.
No because they think our community is a joke and since we don't as they put it embrace the scientific method. we're stupid.

Btw it doesn't take the scientific method to realize slamming your head against concrete is a bad idea. <_<

If they only listen to us things would be better but ya know I guess it's to much to ask that they look past their inflated egos for more then 5 seconds.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, that's all I have to say. Good luck with EVO's rep now.
EVO has been a joke for a long time. EVO is run by SRK, known far and wide for scrubbiness, whininess, *******dness and stupidity. Sure, they have good people in there, too, but if you think Smashboards is bad at the moment, you ain't seen nothing yet.

And take a moment to let this sink in:
These supposedly Competitive Players had problems deciding on whether to ban Spear Pillar. Suffice to say, they aren't very smart.

You just lost the game.
A lot of people <3 me. I'm just that hot.

WarioGas

Smash Rookie
One reason I like items is because they give variety to the game itself, otherwise you're looking at stale gameplay. I went to the prerelease tournament in Gamestop and even though I've played SB and Melee, I still lost. I'm not tripping over it but I had a blast at the same time. I liked seeing what could happen, and there were some interesting ones too (like getting the Smash Ball, but falling into a pit for instance XD). I'm not from SDK, I just joined here recently but I just like the items because it gives variety. Items are also meant to be used to give some leverage where needed and bring in the great finish. I've never seen some items as being broken but once I see one, maybe I'll change my stance on items then.

Ornj

Smash Journeyman
what i think is funny is that they come from street fighter, a pure item-less fighter, and they have random exploding capsules okayed,

not 1 to steryotype, but i agree with yuna

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
EVO has been a joke for a long time. EVO is run by SRK, known far and wide for scrubbiness, whininess, *******dness and stupidity. Sure, they have good people in there, too, but if you think Smashboards is bad at the moment, you ain't seen nothing yet.
Didn't know that much about EVO, really. Well, this should eliminate any kind of redemption they could have.

And take a moment to let this sink in:
These supposedly Competitive Players had problems deciding on whether to ban Spear Pillar. Suffice to say, they aren't very smart.
No dude. The stage flipping around and reversin' itself n stuf allowz fer epic mind gaemz. Most competitive stage, imo.

/sarcasm

A lot of people <3 me. I'm just that hot.
Riiiiiiiiiight.

some guy's location said:
Inside of a piniata, so plz get me out
I'll go get the chainsaw.

Ornj

Smash Journeyman
truthfully ppl should just boycott it

i think smashboards could could probly host sumthing to rival EVO

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
I can see the final now....

Yoshi vs. DK at 75m.

The game runs out of time because the entire match Yoshi was egg-camping. In sudden death, DK grabs a Golden Hammer but gets hit by one of Classic DK's springs. Tourney over.

I'm not even a competitive player but this is funny stuff, plus the reactions are hillarious XD Just don't play by those rules and play in different tourneys because EVO's tourneys are gonna be a laughing stock.
In a good way, tourneys will end because of the Summit's fish. Trust me.

Aesir

Smash Master
not surprised, when they ran melee it was last minute if it wasn't last minute they would have made their own rule set.

Isn't that a bit dumb? disregard a thriving communitys 5 years of hard work? I lost respect for them after that lol.

acv

Smash Journeyman
did the OP just stated that is the correct way to play smash?i have attended local tournaments where they have been playing wrong ZOMG

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
^ In the future? I've been saying since October 31st that the fish was gonna be God-Tier...now he finally has his shot...

I think the crabs in Mario Bros have Top-Tier taken, checkpoint in Green Hill Zone for Bottom-Tier.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Landmaster = win lol, cuz it's only two stocks, so just take out one stock and then lift them off the stage. Game over.

Either they ban landmaster or increase the stock count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom