• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO South Results!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velox

Smash Ace
Why its easier just to go marth and space your self ya know ics and their lack of range can't really do **** about it.
Spacing isn't the only thing that will keep you from getting grabed.

You could get mindgamed into a grab.

You could get desynched into a grab.

Your finger could slip and randomly f-smash in the wrong direction and get grabed.

The Climbers could tech chase into an infinite (lol ouch).

The Climbers could edge guard into an infinite.

Etc.

I feel the flaw with King's don't get grabed logic (apart from the fact that he's a Jigglypuff players), is that I think he is just going under the logic that "if you don't mess up, you won't get grabed." That's wrong. You could get mindgamed or desynched or something (like tech chased), all of which are practically unavoidable unless you're somehow highly immune to the opponent's games.

I'm not going to argue about it though, whatever you guys think I guess...

To keep this post relavent:

I had fun at EVO South, one of the most fun tournaments I've been to even though the actual tourney sucked, and I got Rob$ second round in single elim... ...

KrazyKirbyKid is amazing, he beat Valley guy/Smiles/G@BE/Rob$ and did some damage to Wobbles. Too good. I loved the crowd that formed around him :p

Wobbles was a cool dude, he has no reason not to do what isn't banned. That's the bottom line.

I had fun housing with JF/ARC/Hylian, good stuff.

But I think what really made the trip though was the Thriller... heh, fun ride Cesar and G@BE, lot better than that last San Antonio trip for me...

To the people wondering about the videos, I saw people recording KrazyKirbyKid's matches (in perticular Wobbles vs. KKK), but that's it. Perhaps if you could somehow contact him, he could hook you up with the vids. I've no idea who the people were or where the videos went. Oh, and lol @ KKK (KirbyKid is a black smasher if u didn't know :p).

To all of those who didn't go because they didn't register, I didn't register either, but still got in ;) You should have come! There were tons of write ins!

Oh, and finally, a HOUSTON player got 4th place! Heh, good job Xzalla!

Aesir

Smash Master
Spacing isn't the only thing that will keep you from getting grabed.

Your finger could slip and randomly f-smash in the wrong direction and get grabed.

I don't think I said it was, I said all you really have to do is space your self. and again mindgamed into a grab? yea you lost creditability with that.

edit: yeah gonna stop posting about this now cause I don't wanna piss off omni. =(

I feel asleep

Smash Apprentice

Etc.
well, if you get mindgamed into a grab, you just failed at noticing the mindgame, therefor your "mental mind" is weak. :p

Desyncing is usually a noticable technique, sure, it is hard to avoid sometiems, but not impossible.

if your finger slips, thats a mistake on your part...thats like saying "ii dropped my controller!" as a john to make up for your mistake....no johns.

tech chase into wobl...mean, but effective, and again, if he was good enough to call your tech and grabbed you, GJ to the IC player.

and i don't even know what "edge guard into infinite" means, is it "edge guarding them untill the opprotune moment to grab and then proceed to infinite"? or "edgeguarding and letting em get back on the stage then grabbing them to infinite" or "combo them while edgeguarding and then getting a grab at the end of it leading to the infinite"? in either case, DI and mind games on recovery prevent this from happening in most cases.

it was funny, at a few of the "lesser" AZ tournaments, they banned the infinite unless the other player agreed it was ok....i was the only one that let Wobbles do it to me ^_^ and it was still a relatively close match....Wobbles still won. and is a better smasher than I. and no, it's not because of the infinite, if he uses it or not, our matches are very similar in outcome (usually him winning by 1 or 2 stocks ^_^) and if i fell into it, i did'nt get mad at him for doing it, i felt bad that i fell into it. and learned from the experience.
instead of saying "BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN" can't we just learn a way around it?

anyhoo here's looking to your return to AZ Wobbles...whenever that may be.

Jake13

Smash Lord
Ok, you wanna know how to not get wobbled? Pause the game bewbs.

Anywho, relevancy.... um, Congrats Xzalla, reppin' Houston fo'sho' Texas what it do/other Screwston slang etc.

G@BE

Smash Lord
I don't think I said it was, I said all you really have to do is space your self. and again mind gamed into a grab? yea you lost creditability with that.

edit: yeah gonna stop posting about this now cause I don't wanna piss off omni. =(
How did he lose creditability now?

felix45

Smash Lord
There is 1 major part of the infinate you are all leaving out (those whining about it at least).

Nana has to be there when popo grabs. This, IMO, is the hardest part of it all. I tried to pick up ICs because I loved the idea of a free stock off if I can pull it off at least once a match.

So I go over to my friends house to vs his falco and get ***** by lasers. consistantly I was getting desynchs forced on me, so when I got a grab on him, generally nana was no where near me so he could get out of the grab before nana is even got near me. Now you may call me out and say I just suck and cant do it, but then you would just be proving all the more that it does take more skill than you give it credit for. If you dont believe me go into training right now, practice doing the infinate, then play a human (preferably not someone that will get shield grabed easily aka anyone decent at the game) and tell me how easy it is to infinate.

The key to beating the infinate then is the forced desynch which isn't hard to do. Meaning after that, so long as you know how to beat the infinate, the rest is up to your own skill level.

In the end I'd say the infinate is no worse than any chain grab. In both cases you are getting a lot of percent on your opponent with a simple grab. Chain grab is no harder than the infinate either. Only problem with both is being able to grab your opponent in the first place and knowing when they can get out (believe it or not infinates aren't 100% foolproof, often if you dont get the timing right on the ftilt they can get out fairly easily)

Tapion013

Smash Lord
This is still being debated in this topic? wow... anyway I read this and had to say something..

believe it or not infinates aren't 100% foolproof, often if you dont get the timing right on the ftilt they can get out fairly easily)
Difficulty in a technique has no impact on the effectiveness because no matter how difficult it may be (and wobbling IS NOT difficult) people will be able to do it, and do it every time.

As for your ice climbers, people who play as ice climbers learn techniques through experience of keeping nana close to pull off chain grabs and the wobbling. The reason it seemed so hard to you is that you are not used to, or do not know these techniques. You picked up a new character and expected to be able to pull it off with a little bit of training mode practice... won't happen with any character, even with regular combos because you need experience to react to DI properly.

Edit: I didn't notice this

In the end I'd say the infinate is no worse than any chain grab
There's a rather large difference there... chain grab = damage. Infinite = KO. BIG difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom