• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evolution

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Aesir- Why don't you do science now?

Everyone else- I can understand that given replication, error can occur. My question was how cell replication came about, and why it's a universal trait in all cells.

Another thing I don't understand is natural selection. Offspring have random mutations, and the favourable ones survive. But then how do they ensure the next generation get those traits, if it's just as random, wouldn't they get a whole different batch of mutations?

The other thing is, wouldn't the changes from one gen to another be so minute that they wouldn't matter in determining who survives?

Soz for all the questions.

:phone:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Replication and repodruction came about in general because anything that was incapable of it died.

Basically abiogenesis could've happened a billion times before it actually took hold and we would never know the difference because they were incapable of reproducing.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Yes but that assumes the ability to evolve adaptions. I'm asking where this ability came from, and why it's universal to all organisms.

It just seems like an adaption that itself would have needed to evolve.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Fairsies.

So do you guys think that humans will ever evolve out of religion? Or is the current movement towards scientific thinking the start of that evolution.

Same goes for not being able to have casual sex without artifical contraceptives. I want to know if you guys think that we'll ever evolve the ability to do that, or if the development of contraception itself is the evolution.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
So do you guys think that humans will ever evolve out of religion? Or is the current movement towards scientific thinking the start of that evolution.

Same goes for not being able to have casual sex without artifical contraceptives. I want to know if you guys think that we'll ever evolve the ability to do that, or if the development of contraception itself is the evolution.
1. For starters, the answer to this question may not be related to evolution. This is where Dawkin's concept of the meme comes into play. It would be akin to a mutation that gets introduced into the gene pool (meme pool) and then gets passed down to descendants with high fidelity (like a ghost story/legend), but it would not be biological in nature. It would only be very analogous to evolution. Also, I can't think of any selective pressures that favor atheism over religion. If anything, it is the other way around. Remember, for an evolutionary reason, there needs to be a difference in reproductive fitness and this trait needs to be heritable. This means that one trait contributes to more children over the other (this includes traits that increase health so the individual can have more offspring, but this would not be in effect after reproductive maturity). Memes are somewhat "heritable" since they can be passed down through storytelling, but this is not really evolution.

Then there is the question of what allows these stories to "stick" and will that trait be selected against in the future. I would guess not, but that doesn't mean that we can't eliminate the stories without eliminating the mechanism. If the problem is a child's blind acceptance of the authority of their parent's, then we can create a more atheistic society simply by educating the parents (schooling is not an evolutionary process). This would decrease the number of children being indoctrinated without effecting their genetic predisposition for accepting it to begin with. It's almost like "monkey see, monkey do" when it comes to children. If we can educate the adults, the children never learn bad habits to begin with. Note: this deals with only one hypothesis for the prevalence of religion.

2. People can and do have casual sex without artificial contraceptives, so I don't know what you are asking. Are you asking whether we will get to a point where everyone will only not use contraceptives unless they are trying to conceive? If so, it depends on how much we effort we expend on educating our kids. Its not really a question regarding evolution. Unless people who "planned" (this is a very short simplification of a very complicated set of traits) left more offspring, there is no selection process in play. This is to say, I very much doubt it.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Religion does aid procreation because a lot of the older religions encouraged sex without contraception, so religious couples often have lots of children.

How do people have casual sex without artifical contraceptives? Sounds like something I should have already known.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
LOL I think Dre. is asking if humans will ever evolve in such a way as, for instance, the Male can "choose" whether or not he's shooting blanks.

The answer is probably no, but I wouldn't put it past science. Eventually I perceive science to allow for humans to control much of their biology through mechanical means (we already have hearing aids, artificial organs, etc.) It's not a far stretch to imagine we eventually have wet-wired brains with removable media, or in this case, a button on the back of our frontal lobe that turns sperm on or off.

And Dre. people are able to have sex without contraception by using the "pull-out" method. Unless you want to tit-for-tat and consider THAT contraception, but ... it's not really. Contraception involves the physical blocking of agents to prevent pregnancy, either by catching the load, or interfering with the female reproductive cycle. True, this method is not 100 percent, but no form of birth control, contraceptive or otherwise, is 100 percent - except for total abstinence.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I wouldn't consider the pull out an adaption, because you have lesser animals who don't need to pull out to do it casually.

Also, I learned something that's relatively devastating for creationism, but I can't remember the specifics. I taped the show though, so I'll post it once I watch it again.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
I wouldn't consider the pull out an adaption, because you have lesser animals who don't need to pull out to do it casually.
You gotta remember that there are so many different ways of doing things. Evolution is like that. There several different kinds of eye, skin, skeleton etc. They're all adaptations in their own way I guess.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Another thing that I can't get past is that all ecosystems currently seem to be perfectly balanced (unless humans interfere). Every creature seems to have adaptions for its role, and the ecosystems always seem to flourish unless invaded by humans.

I have trouble comprehending how that could have come about by chance, and the idea that these aren't balanced systems, and that they still require evolution.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Another thing that I can't get past is that all ecosystems currently seem to be perfectly balanced (unless humans interfere). Every creature seems to have adaptions for its role, and the ecosystems always seem to flourish unless invaded by humans.
What do you mean all ecosystems are perfectly balanced?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Current ecosystems seem to sustain themselves and function well without having any species go extinct. All the species seem to have a niche role, so specific that if you remove one species, or drastically reduce or increase its population the system stops functioning properly. Not to mention that all species have basically the perfect adaptions for their niche roles in sustaining the system.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Current ecosystems seem to sustain themselves and function well without having any species go extinct.
Well, the estimated extinction rate (prior to human influence) would be about 3-30 species a year. If we take your second observation, this would mean that ecosystems don't handle extinctions very well. Anyway, we don't know the number of species that go extinct every year. We simply wouldn't when most species go extinct because we aren't even close to identifying a large percentage of them. I suspect that you are only taking a look at the most notable species that tend to be bigger mammals, but they represent only a tiny fraction of the animal kingdom. This would explain why if they went extinct that it would have little effect on the rest of the ecosystem; they would be at the top of the food chain. Also, when most species go extinct, the niche tends to be occupied by another species unless the extinct species was the only source of food, in which case there would be a co-extinction. It's not like predators care about the reproductive compatibility of their prey; meat is meat.
All the species seem to have a niche role, so specific that if you remove one species, or drastically reduce or increase its population the system stops functioning properly.
You seem to be implying that an ecosystem is a machine that we can call one state of affairs functioning and the other state of affairs broken. However, nature doesn't not have an intended purpose. For example, if wolves decrease in population, then the deer population increases. If the deer population decreases, then their food supply decreases. This leads to a massive decrease in the deer population to lower than original levels (such die offs are fairly common). These are simply fluctuations in the system and are fairly common. For some species, these are regulated by government agencies when determining the number of hunting permits to administer, how many animals each hunter can take, etc.
Not to mention that all species have basically the perfect adaptions for their niche roles in sustaining the system.
What do you expect them to have? Do you expect animals living in arid environments to be suited for the rain forest? Do you expect animals living in the arctic to be adapted to live in the desert? No, they got that way because they excelled at competing for resources in those environments. If there was little competition, then they would fill that niche as well, they simply wouldn't need to have the same tools as they would if they were in a different environment. This is the path that flightless birds take. It's simply a matter of fit the niche or die, the same concept as the anthropic principle.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Bigger animals do only represent a small fraction of animals, as 97% of animals are invertebrates, but often they represent a significant aspect of their ecosystem.

In a world of chance of randomness, it seems highly probable that many of the bigger animals would go extinct, or at least have imblanaces in an ecosystem due to a random adaption of a species.

For example, if a herbivore evolved an adaption that made extremely succesfull at avoiding predators. The lack of predation would make population numbers increase, meaning they would eventually exhaust their source of food, which then has various consequences for the entire ecosystem.

Except something like this doesn't seem to have happened in any current ecosystem, which strikes me as odd given how many ecosystems there are and how random the process is meant to be.

It seems that in every ecosystem, there always appears to be a perfect balance between a predator's and prey's adaptions, so that the populations of both are kept in numbers that do not then imbalance the rest of the ecosystem. I find it hard to comprehend how this could have come about by mindless evolution.

As for an ecosystem being balanced or imbalanced, that can probably be defined in a non-arbitrary way. Fluctuations in certain populations affect the ecosystem as a whole, and what I would call an imbalance is when the fluctuation or adaption of one population begins to affect organisms in the system that are not its direct predator or prey. Humans introducing alien species into ecosystems are good examples of this occuring.

My point is that this balance is retained everywhere where there has been no human interference. That balance is so delicate that not even the removal or addition of a species, but the removal or addition of an adaption of a particular species can imbalance the whole ecosystem.

I know it sounds simple-minded, but I have trouble comprehending how that could come about mindlessly. It appears far too specific and delicate.

As for the last point about animals and adaptions, it refers to my previous point. My problem isn't that they have adaptions that suit their environment, it's that those adaptions are complete or perfect for their role in their ecosystem.

Those adaptions may not be perfect in terms of their own interests. They may not be able to avoid predators 100% of the time, or catch prey at that rate, but these adaptions are perfect for their role in their ecosystem. So much so that any slight changes can imbalance the entire ecosystem.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
In a world of chance of randomness, it seems highly probable that many of the bigger animals would go extinct, or at least have imbalances in an ecosystem due to a random adaption of a species.
If you ever study chaotic systems, you find that there are some equations that converge onto a single point. This point may be different for different "seeds," which in this case would be the population size. An example would be a starting seed from 0-599 would converge onto a population size of 0, while a seed of 600-2000 (upper limit due to carrying capacity) would converge to a population size of 1000. So, in a case like this, we would call 1,000 the equilibrium. When at equilibrium, the population can be reduced by 40% and it will naturally return to equilibrium. Under this hypothetical, when the species goes under 600 individuals, the population would be doomed to extinction without an intervention. Low population, lower competition for food, lower death rate due to starvation, population climbs. High population, low competition for food, higher death rate due to starvation, population decreases. Between the low and high would be an equilibrium. So when small events push the population away from the equilibrium, the forces at play would push back.

Of course, this is a very simplified boil down example with much more than one variable to consider, but it is not a "random" process; it is a chaotic system, which means that it is indeterminate so it is random to the observer. The variables are stochastic, but they encompass so many events that the law of large numbers comes into play. It would be like saying that the birth rate of the U.S. is random. For each individual, it is hit or miss, but the populations birth rate is much more stable from year to year. There are little forces that influence this number, but none so much that it would make us go extinct.

Also, this would be like asking about economics. How does economics work? When the price is low, doesn't that make everyone want to buy the product and then we will quickly exhaust that resource? Why doesn't this make everyone spend their money on that product and make all the other industries go out of business? Won't the company that has the best product put the others out of business? How do the suppliers know how much to produce? Isn't it amazing that supply and demand would converge on an equilibrium? This is such a delicate system and it is always so balanced, except when human intervention imposes price floors and ceilings and artificially deflates the prices of some products. Well then, it must have been the intelligent invisible hand of God. Or not.
For example, if a herbivore evolved an adaption that made extremely successful at avoiding predators. The lack of predation would make population numbers increase, meaning they would eventually exhaust their source of food, which then has various consequences for the entire ecosystem.
Adaptions tend to be incremental. I don't know of any examples to the contrary. We have seen when certain species' numbers increase, it doesn't come with the effect of the extinction of that species due to exhausting its food source. Also, even if they were severely successful at evading predators, this would simply decrease the predator's numbers to a new equilibrium. Also note that the predators that survive would be the most apt at catching the prey. This would just fluctuate the equilibrium of the populations. Again, even if they went extinct, since we are talking about animals at the top of the food chain, this would be of little consequence to the rest of the ecosystem.
My point is that this balance is retained everywhere where there has been no human interference. That balance is so delicate that not even the removal or addition of a species, but the removal or addition of an adaption of a particular species can imbalance the whole ecosystem.
I'm still not sure what you mean by balance. You've acknowledged that populations fluctuate greatly and extinctions occur every year, yet this is seen as a delicate balance? What do you expect to see under evolution? Why? The only example you've given of entire ecosystems being devastated by a single species is when humans introduce a foreign species, but this is the act of transgressing a geological island, which would be physically impossible otherwise. Can you come up with a concrete examples of a mutation that has led to the imbalance of an entire ecosystem? What about the natural extinction of a species? As noted, species go extinct every year, and to my knowledge, they haven't been cited as the cause for ecosystem deterioration.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I explained what imbalance is, it's when the fluctuation of one species ends up affecting other species that are not their direct predators or prey. The imbalance would be when these impacts are so severe and widespread that the ecosystem stops functioning the way it used to.

And why would I need to provide an example of a mutation imbalancing an ecosystem when my whole point is that it never happens, despite the fact it should be theoretically occuring all the time?

As for the equilibrium, if a species evolves a significant adaption that descreases the population of another species, the time it would take the send that species under the equiblibrium line would be far less than the millions of years it would take for the species to evolve the necessay counter-adaption.

And as for the herbivore that develops an adaption to avoid predators, I wasn't saying that exhausting its food source may necessarily send it into extinction, but it could do so for a competitor for that food source.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
And why would I need to provide an example of a mutation imbalancing an ecosystem when my whole point is that it never happens, despite the fact it should be theoretically occurring all the time?
Please explain. I simply don't see the reason for this. The only part that would apply is that such changes in populations would effect third party animals, such as squirrels that would feed on the acorns that Deer eat, but such populations wouldn't be monitored and they would rebound when the food source increases when the deer die off. I don't see any reason why we should expect the ecosystem to go into any sort of a downward spiral.
That balance is so delicate that not even the removal or addition of a species, but the removal or addition of an adaption of a particular species can imbalance the whole ecosystem.
So your whole point is that mutations never imbalance ecosystems, yet you say that the removal or addition of an adaptation (which is the result of mutations) of a particular species can imbalance the entire ecosystem. Which is it? Do mutations cause dramatic changes to ecosystem or not? If they don't, how do you know that they can?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
It should be theoretically happening all the time because in a chaotic mindless system, adaptions and counter-adaptions wouldn't always be balancing themselves out, and you wouldn't have ecosystems so delicate that the removal or introduction of a species can imblance the entire thing.

My point is that the ecosystems appear too balanced, intricate and delicate to be the result of mindless chaos.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
There are three points equal distance from each other. You stand in the middle of them and randomly choose one of the points. You calculate how far away it is and then walk half the distance towards it. You put a dot where you are standing. You repeat this process repeatedly. Congratulations, you have just drawn Sierpinski's Triangle. Simple rules based on chance sometimes draw elaborate yet seemingly complex figures. Don't presume to know what a chaotic system will result in. Actually show it.

A predator that gets a mutation that enhances its ability to hunt will put a greater selection pressure on that prey. This means that the lower percentiles will be preyed on and the upper percentiles will breed. This is like taking the cream of the crop and breeding them. You get a "better" species as specified by the selection criteria. With this cow, the selection criteria is based on muscle, so you get beefy cows. We have done this artificially with many species with the similar results. These same selection forces that we use in artificial selection are present in nature. In the predator case, the selection criteria is evasion. This means that nature is picking the best evaders and breeding them. I still don't see the mystery here.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
That's because you're assuming the predatory adaption is fallible enough that a decent portion of the prey will be able to evade it.

The point is that a predatory adaption could be lethal enough that the amount of prey killed beats up the reproduction of the surviving prey, especially when you consider that the counter-adaption would probably take millions of years.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
That's because you're assuming the predatory adaption is fallible enough that a decent portion of the prey will be able to evade it.
That's because evolution is an incremental process. Mutations simply don't change species overnight. This is why when you introduce a predator that has gone through the selection process into an ecosystem with very little competition you get the poor results. However, when they start on relatively equal playing field, the two populations force each other to get better. The predators select the prey to evade better. The next generation of prey then select the best hunters and so on until you get a species that is very good at hunting and a species that is very good at evading. The bell curve for each population moves slighter more to be more fit in each iteration as the bottom portion is eliminated. This is the result of incremental improvements, not one mutation that makes a species become an apex predator.

If you took the end product of the predator and matched it with the starting point of the prey, there would be a co-extinction if the prey is its only source of food. If you took the end product of the prey and matched it with the starting point of the predator, the predator would go extinct if the prey was its only source of food. This is why you get the results you do when you introduce a foreign species. The distributions of the populations are too far apart.
The point is that a predatory adaption could be lethal enough that the amount of prey killed beats up the reproduction of the surviving prey, especially when you consider that the counter-adaption would probably take millions of years.
I can't think of a single mutation that would qualify here. It might not be possible. Can you give an example? Even complex chemical systems used are developed incrementally going from irritants to poisons so its not like that would even happen randomly. Even if it did, it would be a rare event that would cause some of its food sources to go extinct. So what? We don't see this happening because such mutations don't occur, so whats the point?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Got some more questions-

Why do certain species die when they procreate? Sexual reproduction has been around millions of years, and the first organisms to do it didn't die straight after, so the death was an evolution.

Now I can't think of how that would be beneficial. What it is beneficial for, however, is sustaining the balance of the ecosystem by regulating the population of the species.

Note that the majority of species the die normally mate in enormous numbers. They also tend to migrate away from their usual habitat to mate.

This makes it hard for me to accept evolution because these adaptions seem more intended to regulate the population rather than advance the self progression of the species. These species are often so high in number that multiple generations existing simultaneously would overpopulate and imbalance the ecosystem. The fact that these traits were supposedly evolved as well makes it harder for me to accept evolution.

Also, how could something like camouflage evolve mindlessly? This is different from evolving an appartus to attain a particular food source. I can understand the evolution of something like the Gharial. The Gharial hunts fish without using its limbs, so the Gharials with more illongated jaws will be more successful. So the ones with the illongated jaws survive, and pass the illongated jaw genes on and eventually the jaw becomes perfect for hunting fish.

I can understand how that sort of evolution can came about mindlessly. Camouflage is a completely different story. Note I'm talking specifically about organisms who can change their colour at will, not organisms such as praying mantises who have a set colour. To evolve camouflage, something would have to consciously knowledge it's being predated, and then attempt to evolve it as a defence mechanism. This isn't a case of a portion of the organism having a slightly more adapted apparatus, and then these organisms being more likely to survive as a result.

Even if camouflage wasn't consciously acknowledged, it would make taken millions of years for camouflage to have had any effect on survivability, so even then I don't see how it could survived, or why you don't see many of the camouflaged species without the ability to camouflage.

Then there's also the question of why predators don't have access to this sort of camouflage. If it was mindless, it's not like it could be acknowledged which organisms were predators and which were prey, there'd be no distinction. You can't say 'most predators don't need it' because if it's mindless they would still evolve things they don't need, just not things which are detrimental, and camouflage in no way would be detrimental.

In fact, camouflage would help them catch prey. This goes back to my original point. If already successful predators had developed camouflage, their success rate would be too high, diminishing the population of the prey and thus imbalancing the ecosystem.

Soz for the rant but it's really bothering me. I want to accept evolution but I can't put this stuff behind me.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Some of these concerns go away when you remember that state of any animal today is not "the end result of millions of years of evolution" but rather "In the middle or even in the beginning of an even longer period evolution."

Just because we've had a few billion years doesn't mean every imperfection will be wrinkled out. Maybe it takes many more billions of years to do that. We're still in an intermediate stage.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Can anyone help me... A creationist sent me tons of information about how scientists and creationists have the same evidence but see it differently...I know it's all bogus but he won't listen to my point of view unless I debunk this "evidence he sent me." Do any of you believe in this?

In this case, my point about the interpretation of the evidence being different between people with a Christian (creationist) world view and a naturalistic (molecules to man) evolutionary view (it is not between religious and non-religious--even some evolutionists are religious; for example, theistic evolutionists) could apply to most anything. For example, the evidence for a young earth where methods of radiometric dating failed on rocks of known age, or gave conflicting results, geochronologists claim that one or more of the assumptions were invalid in this case. But then it should be acceptable to question these assumptions whenever a "date" contradicts the biblical time frame. If the facts do not support the premise (whether it be the premise of uniformity--that the earth is billions of years old, or the premise of a catastrophic, world-restructuring global flood) , the premise is abandoned; yet, when evolutionists obtain results not consistent with the evolutionary time frame, do they abandon the premise of their cherished evolutionary paradigm? You bet your sweet bibby, they don’t. Instead, they reject and discard radiometric dating results not consistent with the evolutionary time frame . If evolutionists can do this, then scientists who believe in a young earth should have the same right at least to question the assumptions whenever a “date” contradicts a biblical time frame.

Read the information I gave (via references above) on the assumptions of the Geological Column and Radiometric Dating. There are many examples where these dating methods give "dates" that are wrong for rocks of known historical age. One example is a rock from a dacite lava dome at Mount St. Helens volcano. Although we know the rock was formed in 1986, the rock was dated by the potassium-argon (K-Ar) method as 0.35 plus or minus 0.05million years old. Another example is K-Ar "dating" of five andesite lava flows from Mt. Ngauruhoe in New Zealand. The "dates" ranged from less than 0.27 to 3.5 million years--but one lava flow occurred in 1949, three in 1954 and one in 1975. What happened was the excess radiogenic argon (40 Ar*)from the magma (molten rock)was retained in the rock when it solidified. The secular scientific literature also lists many examples of excess radiogenic argon (40Ar*) causing "dates" of millions of years in rocks of known history. This excess appears to have come from the upper mantle, below the earth's crust. This is consistent with a young earth--the argon had too little time to escape.

Question: If excess radiogenic argon (40AR*) can cause exaggerated dates for rocks of known age, then why should we trust the method for rocks of unknown age? Another problem is the conflicting dates between different methods. If two methods disagree, then at least one of them must be wrong. For example, in Australia, some wood was buried by a basalt lava flow, as can be seen from the charring. The wood was "dated" by radiocarbon (14C) analysis at about 45,000 years old, but the basalt was "dated" by the K-Ar method at c.45 million years old. Other fossil wood from the upper Permian rock layers has been found with carbon 14 still present. Detectable carbon 14 would have all disintegrated if the wood was really older than 50,000 years, let alone the 250 million years that evolutionists assign to these upper Permian rock layers. According to the Bible's chronology, great age cannot be the true cause of the observed isotope ratios. Anomalies like the above are good supporting evidence ( See conclusions of research on radiometric and carbon-14 dating by Dr. Paul Giem in his book, "Scientific Theology", La Sierra University Press, 1997). In the words of atheistic evolutionist W.B. Provine: "Most of what I learned of the field in graduate (1964-1968) school is either wrong or significantly changed." Creationists understand the limitations of these dating methods better than evolutionists who claim that they can use certain present processes to "prove" that the earth is billions of years old. In reality, all age-dating methods, including those which point to a young earth, rely on non-provable assumptions. John Woodmorappe has just published a detailed study demonstrating the fallacy of radiometric "dating", including the "high-tech" isochron method: The Mythology of Modern Dating Methods (El Cajon, CA: Institute for Creation Research, 1999). Evolutionist William Stansfield, Ph.D., California Polytech State, has stated: "It is obvious that radiometric techniques may not be the absolute dating methods that they are claimed to be. Age estimates on a given geological stratum by different radiometric methods are often quite different (sometimes by hundreds of millions of years). There is no absolutely reliable long-term radiological 'clock'."Evolutionist Frederick B. Jueneman candidly summarizes the situation: "The age of our globe is presently thought to be some 4.5 billion years, based on radio-decay rates of uranium and thorium. Such 'confirmation' may be short lived, as nature is not to be discovered quite so easily. There has been in recent years the horrible realization that radio-decay rates are not as constant as previously thought, nor are they immune to environmental influences. And this could mean that the atomic clocks are reset during some global disaster, and events which brought the Mesozoic to a close may not be 65 million years ago, but rather, within the age and memory of man."

Evidence from geology.Erosion of continents: Continents are being eroded so rapidly that they should have been worn away completely over billions of years. The problem is more acute in mountainous regions, and there are huge plains with hardly any erosion. Some scientists try to address the continental wearing problem by positing that uplift balances the erosion. But this fails to explain the existence of erosion surfaces that are “dated” as very ancient. Moreover, uniformitarian explanations of slow and gradual deposition/erosion over millions of years fail to offer a reasonable explanation for such important geological features and formations as the Tibetan Plateau (thousands of feet thick and over three miles high above sea level), the incredible lava Columbia Plateau in northwestern United States (approximately 200,000 square miles) and the flat, featureless Colorado Plateau. They do not explain the rise of mountain chains several times faster than erosion; yet, they contain much “ancient” sedimentary rock. Evolutionists allow enough time to erode the continents many times over; yet, they are nearly everywhere covered with sediments--evidence that they were shaped by a lot of water over a little time, not a little water over a lot of time.

Vast thickness of sedimentary rocks (used as evidence for vast age) could conceivably be produced by a little water over a long period of time, or a lot of water over short periods of time. Different biases can result in different interpretations of the same data, in this case, the rock layers. It is a philosophical decision, not a scientific one, to prefer the former interpretation (a little water over millions/billions of years). Because sedimentation occurs slowly, it is assumed it always did in the past, but that is not necessarily true. For example, witness the tremendous geological work done in minutes or hours by local floods (never mind a catastrophic earth-restructuring global flood) in New Orleans and other recent local catastrophic phenomena (tsunami that hit India and Sri Lanka).

What about the Mount St. Helens explosion (May 18, 1980) that devastated 400 square kilometers of forest in six minutes and washed over 1 million logs into Spirit Lake, resulting in an organic deposit of peat with essentially the same make-up and geometry as coal--consisting mostly of tree bark and decayed woody materials, and containing volcanic ash at the bottom of the lake. Also, it created a vertical sediment pile up to 600 feet thick which, within five years had hardened into rock and the right conditions for rapid petrificationof wood--ground water from rapid melting and descent of the mountain’s glacier percolating through hot volcanic ash, which typically is full of silica--a process which was thought to require millions of years to form. What about flat features or formations? Kangaroo Island in southern Australia is about 87 miles (140 km long) and 37 (60 km ) wide and is extremely flat. But it is “dated” at over 160 million years old, based on the fossil content and radiometric daying. Yet, one would expect that exposure to 160 million years of rain would result would result in some sort of channelization of the landscape, but there is very little.

There are precise and well defined boundaries that always exist between geological strata in real life. If the theory of evolution (uniformitarianism) is correct, certainly one would expect a gradual blending of one layer into the next, but this often is not the case. What we often see in the geologic record is one rock stratum abruptly and immediately overlying another, with no soils between (because these 'missing" soils never existed in the first place) and frequently two formations of totally different rock types (ie. the dark-coloured Hermit shale beneath the Coconino sandstone in the Grand Canyon), lying one on top of the other with a "knife-edge' bedding plane between them (again no soil layers). This speaks against the passage of long periods of time between their depositions, regardless of their index fossils. If anything, they speak either of continuous, rapid deposition with perhaps a near-instantaneous shift in current direction and sediment load, or of rapid deposition of the Coconino after an episode of "sheet erosion," due to massive volumes of water flowing rapidly at equal depth over a wide area--in short, a earth-shattering, earth-restructuring flood on the scale of the genesis flood.

The amount of salt in the sea. Salt is pouring into the sea much faster than it is escaping. The sea is not nearly salty enough for this to have been happening for billions of years. Even granting generous assumptions to evolutionists, the seas could not be more than 62 million years old--far younger than the billions of years believed by evolutionists. Again, this indicates a maximum age, not the actual age. Geologist, physicist, and pioneer of radiation therapy, John Joly (1857-1933), estimated that the oceans were 80-90 million years old at the most. But this was far too young for evolutionists to accept. More recently, the geologist Dr. Steve Austin and physicist Dr. Russell Humphreys analyzed figures from secular geoscience sources for the quantity of sodium (Na’) in the ocean, and its input and output rates. The slower the input and faster the output, the older the calculated age of the ocean would be. Every kilogram of seawater contains about 10.8 grams of dissolved sodium. (Na’). This means that there is about 14,700 million million tons of Na’ in the ocean. Austin and Humphreys calculated that about 457 million tons of sodium enter the sea every year and 122 million tons of sodium leave the sea every year. The maximum possible amount, even if the most generous assumptions about sodium loss rate are granted to evolutionists, is 206 million tons/year. Granting the most generous assumptions to evolutionists, Austin and Humphreys calculated that the ocean must be less than 62 million years. It’s important to stress that this is not the actual age, but a maximum age. That is the evidence is consistent with any age up to 62 million years, including the biblical age of about 6,000 years. This calculation assumes the lowest plausible input rates and the fastest plausible output rates , sustained throughout geologic time. Another assumption favourable to long-agers is that there was no dissolved salt to start with. If we assume more realistic conditions in the past (the sea had some salt content when it was created, so that saltwater fish could live comfortably in it, and the Genesis global flood would have dissolved large amounts of sodium from land rocks, then this would further reduce the maximum age.

Missing “Old” Supernova Remnants (SNRs). A supernova is an explosion of a massive star--the explosion is so bright that it briefly outshines the rest of the galaxy. The supernova remnants (SNRs) should keep expanding for hundreds of thousands of years, according to the physical equations. Yet there are no very old, widely expanded (Stage 3) SNRs , and a few moderately old (Stage 2) ones in our galaxy, the Milky Way, or in its satellite galaxies, the Magellanic Clouds. This is just what we would expect if the galaxies had not existed long enough for wide SNR expansion (Dr. J. Sarfati, “Exploding Stars Point to a Young Universe: Where Are All the Supernova Remnants?” Creation 19 (3): 46-48 (June-Aug. 1997) Also read pages 346-347 of “Refuting Compromise” by J. Sarfati.

The Presence and Age of Comets in our Solar System. Comets lose so much mass every time they pass near the sun in their orbit that they should have evaporated after billions of years . Instead, evolutionists have proposed ad hoc sources to replenish the comet supply. But observations of the region of the proposed Kuiper Belt fail to confirm it as a cometary source. And there is a total absence of observational evidence for the Oort Cloud, among other scientific difficulties for both notions. Astronomer Hugh Ross published explanation that comets have an interstellar origin was discredited by secular astronomers long ago.

Recession Rate of the Moon.The moon is slowly receding from earth at about 4 cm (i½ inches) per year, and at the rate would have been greater in the past. But even if the moon had started receding from being in contact with the earth, it would have taken only 1.37 billion years to reach its present distance. This gives a maximum possible age of the moon--not the actual age. This is far too young for evolution (and much younger than the radiometric “dates” assigned to moon rocks).

Dinosaur Blood Cells and Hemoglobin. Red blood cells and haemoglobin have been found in some (unfossilized!) dinosaur (T-rex) bone. Recently (April 29, 2007), the Discovery Channel special science documentary appropriately entitled T-Rex, New Science, New Beast disclosed on the basis of a report in 2005 that shocked the scientific community how Dr. Mary Schweitzer at Montana State University’s lab uncovered soft-fibrous connective tissue, branching blood vessels, osteocytes (bone cells), as well as visible red blood cells and positive immunological evidence of the blood protein haemoglobin in a no fossilized portion of a femur (thigh bone) from a Tyrannosaurus rex believed to be 68 million years old. Of course, to claim that bone could remain intact for millions of years without being fossilized (mineralized) stretches credibility beyond the limit. Dr. David Menton, who holds a Ph.D in cell biology from Brown University, wrote at that time it “certainly taxes one’s imagination to believe that soft tissue and cells could remain so relatively fresh in appearance for the tens of millions of years of supposed evolutionary history. “ This would be a tall order, even if they were kept frozen in liquid nitrogen in a lab. But such is the stifling effect of the evolutionary dogma that scientists can be blinded to the clear implications of their own data. Accordingly, when a co-worker, a professional pathologist, first noticed blood cells in T-rex bone under the microscope, Dr. Schweitzer’s startled reaction was to question the evidence, not the dominant long-age paradigm, quote, “It was exactly like looking at a slice of modern bone. But, of course, I couldn’t believe it..the bones, after all, are 65 million years old. How could blood cells survive for millions of years ?” Of course, the obvious, sensible, logical answer based on the scientific evidence is that they couldn’t. Her boss, famous paleontologist “Dinosaur” Jack Horner insisted that Dr. Schweitzer prove they were not red blood cells, but to date she and her team have been able to do so. In fact, she has since found similar soft tissue in several other dinosaur specimens! At the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) held in St. Louis, Missouri in 2006, as recorded by National Geographic, she explained that “traditional ideas of how fossils form do not allow for the preservation of soft, perishable organic tissue,” though she will not re-think her view that dinosaurs are 65 million years old. She states, “we felt comfortable claiming that these dinosaur tissues contained heme,; however, haemoglobin is more than just heme--there are peptide chains as well. And other proteins contain heme units, for example, cytochromes, which are found in all living organisms including microbes. So to rule out contamination, Schweitzer sent samples to an expert immunologist, who injected extract from the T-rex bones into rats. The rats’ immune system generated antibodies, which showed that it was homing in on some protein fragments. Heme itself is too small to produce an immune response. Then the rats’ blood was filtered to leave only the antibodies , forming an antiserum. This was shown to bond to haemoglobin from modern creatures, including birds, crocodiles, and mammals. A control sample, that is, rat serum extracted from before they were injected with T-rex substances did not bond to the modern haemoglobin. This means that there is enough of the hemoglobin protein in the T-rex structures for the rats’ immune system to develop antibodies specific to haemoglobin. Such a specific response shows that there must have been a substantial amount of the haemoglobin protein remaining in the T-rex bone. Hemoglobin would not be the only well-preserved protein from dinosaur fossils or fossils of the same assumed age.

The protein osteocalcin has been identified in hadrosaur (duck-billed dinosaur) bones from Alberta, Canada (Muyzer et al., Geology 20:871-874 (1992). This is a protein specific to bones, so cannot be due to contamination from outside microbes. And ligaments have been found in fossils “dated” to the same evolutionary “age” as the dinosaurs. Mud Springs on the edge of the “market town” of Wootton Bassett, near Swindon, Wiltshire, England, are “pumping up” fossils that are supposed to be 165 million years old. Dr. Neville Hollingworth, paelontologist with the Natural Environmental research Council in Swindon, noted: “There are the shells of bivalves which still have their original organic ligaments and yet they are millions of years old” (M. Nuttall, “Mud Springs a Surprise after 165 Million Years,” Times, London, p.7 (May 2, 1996). A more rational scientific conclusion based on the evidence to Schweitzer’s question about how blood cells could possibly survive 65 million years is: “I can see the blood cells and detect the chemical and magnetic signatures--in the present! Also, protein and DNA can be seen to break down so fast that they couldn’t survive for more than a few tens of thousands of years. So how could they possibly be 65 million years old.”. Also, DNA from 28 different families of trees, herbs, and mosses, as well as the wolly mammoth and other extinct mammals, has been found in the frozen sediments of Siberia, “dated” up to 400,000 years old (see Willerslev E. and Hansen, AJ..et al., Diverse plant and animal genetic records from Holocene and Pleistocene sediments, Science 300 (5620): 791-795, 2003. And under sterile laboratory operating procedures, dormant bacteria have been revived from within salt crystals said to have been formed 250 million years ago (see Vreeland, R.H.., Rosenzweig, W.D., Powers, D. W.., Isolation of a 250 million-year-old halo tolerant bacterium from a primary salt crystal, Nature 407 (6806): 897-900, 2000). So how do we explain this apparent contradiction--that biological molecules like DNA are much too fragile to remain intact beyond some thousands of years, yet entire cells (complete with DNA) have been revived after millions of years--if no contamination from/by living organisms have occurred? Experts say there shouldn’t even be any DNA remaining after 100,000 years, let alone the entire intact machinery (entire cells complete with DNA) which make up a living organism. This evidence flies in the face of the imagined evolutionary (millions-of-years) history, but is perfectly compatible with the age derived from the Bible of the earth’s sediments during or after the global Flood about 4,500 years ago (about 6000 years.

I could give many more examples.Well, all science is tentative because we do not have all the data, especially when dealing with the past. This is true for both creationists and evolutionists, but the creationist is in very good stead when it comes to the evidence and should be optimistic about the future.

Catch-22 situation: It is interesting that Teaching About Evolution, an educator’s guidebook published by the National Academy of Sciences claims that the proposals of creation have been examined and found unsupportable, then they claim that the “basic proposals of creation science are not subject to test and verification." So how could its proposals have been examined (tested!) if they are not subject to test and verification?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Some of these concerns go away when you remember that state of any animal today is not "the end result of millions of years of evolution" but rather "In the middle or even in the beginning of an even longer period evolution."

Just because we've had a few billion years doesn't mean every imperfection will be wrinkled out. Maybe it takes many more billions of years to do that. We're still in an intermediate stage.
This has nothing to do with what I'm saying. It makes no sense to say ogranisms evolved the ability to die after reproduction and the camouflage question has nothing to do with the imperfections of current evolution.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play
Bob, does he/she have sources for any of this junk? I guarantee most of it is garbage that can't be substantiated and the rest is cherry picking information that is questionable. The former is not really excusable, but it happens all the time. The latter is basically like doubting gravity because something that measured it was off, therefore gravity should be tossed out the window.

Oh, and by the way, there exists a ridiculous amount more evidence for evolution than there has ever been for gravity. I'm 100% sure that your friend did not try to educate himself thoroughly on the subject, but rather just read sources which cast unnecessary doubt where it almost doesn't exist.

As for the last point in the post, creationism or any form of it (Intelligent Design) is not testable. Period. If your friend does not believe so, then please ask him to provide a single, falsifiable test that can be repeated by others. That's the point that those people are making. In order for a theory to be considered scientific, and in my mind, acceptable at all, it has to be falsifiable. It has to be able to be proven wrong.

All of this is really basic stuff.

-blazed

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Soz Blade, but the 'creationists are uneducated and are all disingenious' card doesn't work here because the argument is coming from someone who is scientifically informed.

You can't have that attitude towards scientifically informed arguments.

Saying that it's disingenious without proving it is a cop out.

And you talk as if the default position should be that the universe isn't designed, which it isn't. The default position is uncertainty, there's an equal burden of proof to show that the universe isn't designed.

One argument for ID is the sheer improbability of this universe coming about. Also, a lot of anti ID arguments are incredibly bad. Like hilariously bad. One of the most amusing things in God and ID debates is watching otherwise intelligent atheists trying to explain how the universe could be this way out of design.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play
Soz Blade, but the 'creationists are uneducated and are all disingenious' card doesn't work here because the argument is coming from someone who is scientifically informed.
I asked for sources for evidence, that's really where my argument ends. I don't really care about his obvious lack of education on the subject. You can be uneducated and still be right, which is why I asked for sources. I can dispute sources. I'm not going to dispute every claim put forth. Plenty of people make radical claims all the time and I'm not going to waste my time refuting every one of them.

You can't have that attitude towards scientifically informed arguments.
I disagree that the arguments presented showed to be "scientifically informed". Informed about a few points doesn't imply he/she is informed about the entire subject. And there's plenty of portions which show a misunderstanding of the subject. But like I said, I'm not going to go through mountains of text just because this person claims them to be true.

Saying that it's disingenious without proving it is a cop out.
Look up burden of proof. It's not on me to disprove every claim provided, it's up to the person making the claim to provide the proof. This isn't complicated.

And you talk as if the default position should be that the universe isn't designed, which it isn't. The default position is uncertainty, there's an equal burden of proof to show that the universe isn't designed.
You're straw-manning my argument. I do not care about whether or not the universe is designed. This thread, last time I checked, was titled evolution, which is the only point I'm debating about. The young earth theory fits in, but that's about as far as it goes. Start a thread about the origin of the universe if you like.

One argument for ID is the sheer improbability of this universe coming about. Also, a lot of anti ID arguments are incredibly bad. Like hilariously bad. One of the most amusing things in God and ID debates is watching otherwise intelligent atheists trying to explain how the universe could be this way out of design.
I'm not playing this game with you Dre. I don't care about awful arguments. I care about evidence and falsifiable, repeatable tests. That's what I asked for in my post and you did not provide one.

-blazed

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
One argument for ID is the sheer improbability of this universe coming about.
Has it ever occurred to anyone that maybe the odds -are- that great that something like the universe could have happened? And that the only reason why it seems so "obvious" that it did (i.e. the perception is that it's commonplace) is because WE'RE ****ING IN IT!?!

Just sayin'

@Bob, he makes some fair points, but I question the validity of his sources. Not because I've got my evolution-blinders on. But because the "evidence" he shows as counter-points to evolution theory are somewhat unreliable (and dogmatic as it were).

Argon dating throwing false data... so what? If you piss in someone's milk and tell them to drink it and they say it tastes bad, does that mean that all milk tastes bad? To that person, probably! I know they'd be afraid to drink it in the future at any rate. The reason why radiometric dating is so well liked is because way more often than not, it's accurate.

Salt content of the seas... have we any idea why the sea is the way it is? If we go by the studies that "calculate" the seas can't be more than 65 mil years old, and yet they're older than that, then obviously the sea-salt ratio mathematics is not a reliable way to determine the age of the sea! Duh... it also means that there's more to what's going on IN the sea, than what's been observed so far. I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation for the way salt behaves and its ratios over time.

"Wet" dinosaur remains that weren't fossilized but somehow survived intact millions of years... yeah! A real mystery. One that tells me something's been missed in the translation...

In the March 2005 issue of Science, the paleontologist Mary Higby Schweitzer and her team announced the discovery of flexible material resembling actual soft tissue inside a 68-million-year-old Tyrannosaurus rex leg bone from the Hell Creek Formation in Montana. After recovery, the tissue was rehydrated by the science team.

When the fossilized bone was treated over several weeks to remove mineral content from the fossilized bone-marrow cavity (a process called demineralization), Schweitzer found evidence of intact structures such as blood vessels, bone matrix, and connective tissue (bone fibers). Scrutiny under the microscope further revealed that the putative dinosaur soft tissue had retained fine structures (microstructures) even at the cellular level. The exact nature and composition of this material, and the implications of Schweitzer's discovery, are not yet clear; study and interpretation of the material is ongoing.
-source

So yeah, the bone was a fossil... it just so happens to have been a unique fossil that had some properties you may not expect. And the implications that are still being study are of course, what cause this fossil to be different than others. But it in no way means that dinosaurs aren't as old as we think they are.

SO basically, this guy who sounds like so many others, has done -some- research, but it basically boils down to finding loosely corroborating "evidence" for his assertions, and when you dissect some of these sources, you find that they're either taken out of context, misrepresented, or just plain unrelated.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Thanks for the responses and I'll definitely try to find out the sources...a lot of it seems unrealistic...I remember reading from somewhere that red blood cells in dinosaur bones is a complete myth that hasn't been proven by science...I think the "creation scientists" (even the definition is an oxymoron), are just making **** up and are too afraid to show their findings to real scientists....

@Dre:

Would say "I don't know" is a metaphysical assumption...

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
No, I mean, it's not as if he didn't use some citation. He gives book titles and pages, etc in some of his findings. And there is substantiation of the t-rex bone. But as I said it's a twist on the actual truth. The bone was a fossil, just a different kind than you'd normally find (not even one of a kind, I don't think, but rare, sure). They had to artificially re-hydrate it in order to make extractions.

On a tangent I think it'd make a great video game premise this whole lets inject old dino DNA into living creatures to see what happens. Unless they already thought of that and I just haven't played it yet.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Sucumbio- There isn't anything we don't know with regards to the question of the probability of the universe coming about mindlessly. If you think new discoveries in physics will shed new light on the question then you don't understand the nature of the question.

The question is how multiple parties such as space, time etc. could exist, why they exist in the specific forms that they do, why they existed over other things.

The simple potential for any type of existence, including space and time, needs to be explained.

Physical activity has nothing to do with it because the question is how the conditions for physical activity came about.

I asked for sources for evidence, that's really where my argument ends. I don't really care about his obvious lack of education on the subject. You can be uneducated and still be right, which is why I asked for sources. I can dispute sources. I'm not going to dispute every claim put forth. Plenty of people make radical claims all the time and I'm not going to waste my time refuting every one of them.

Plenty of people here who talk about evolution don't provide references.

I disagree that the arguments presented showed to be "scientifically informed". Informed about a few points doesn't imply he/she is informed about the entire subject. And there's plenty of portions which show a misunderstanding of the subject. But like I said, I'm not going to go through mountains of text just because this person claims them to be true.

Look up burden of proof. It's not on me to disprove every claim provided, it's up to the person making the claim to provide the proof. This isn't complicated.

Except that you claimed it was all disingenious without proving it. The BoP is on you to prove your claim that it is disingenious.

You're straw-manning my argument. I do not care about whether or not the universe is designed. This thread, last time I checked, was titled evolution, which is the only point I'm debating about. The young earth theory fits in, but that's about as far as it goes. Start a thread about the origin of the universe if you like.

I'm not playing this game with you Dre. I don't care about awful arguments. I care about evidence and falsifiable, repeatable tests. That's what I asked for in my post and you did not provide one.

-blazed
Asking for falsifiable evidence is silly because the whole point is that the the first cause is outside of the universe. Your demand is designed to make it impossible to be satisfied by the ID side.

Besides, showing how fine-tuned the universe is is repeatable.

You're acting as if the atheist has no BoP to show that it isn't designed, when uncertainty should be the default position.

Saying it is designed and it isn't designed are equally positive claims.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
@Dre:
Athiesm isn't a positive claim it's a lack of belief. You seem to think a lack of belief requires the same burden of proof as a belief. I found some pretty interesting information I think you should look at:

- has to do with the difference between what you believe and what you think you know. For any particular god that you can imagine, a "theist" is one who has a belief in that god. In contrast, an "atheist" is one who does not have a belief in the god. A "gnostic" is one who knows about the existence of god and an "agnostic" is one who thinks that god is unknowable.

Notice that the terms "atheist" and "agnostic", by these definitions, are not mutually exclusive. You could be an agnostic atheist, meaning you don't think that the existence of gods is knowable, but you don't choose to believe in one without further proof. Many people assume that atheists believe that gods can be proved not to exist, but this isn't strictly true and there is no proper word to describe this. You could call such a person an "untheist", perhaps. Or, you could just call such a person a "gnostic atheist", one who doesn't believe in a god and thinks that his non-belief can be proved.

So there are four possible ways one could be.

1. Agnostic-Theist: believes god exists, but the existence of a god is unknowable
2. Gnostic-Theist: believes in a god for which he claims knowledge
3. Agnostic-Atheist: does not believe god exists, but it can't be proved
4. Gnostic-Atheist: believes it can be proved that god does not exist

Case 3 is sometimes referred to as "weak atheism" and case 4 is sometimes referred to as "strong atheism". Only strong atheism positively asserts that there are no gods.

Finally, it should be pointed out that when a person is asked about their beliefs and replies that they are agnostic, they are avoiding the question and answering a different one. Someone who can't positively say he/she believes in a god is an atheist.

- This assumption is rooted in the elementary logical fallacy that two opposite things--belief and disbelief--are actually the same thing. A basic tenet of logic is that anyone making a positive claim bears the burden of proof for that claim. For example, in a court of law the lawyers for the prosecution bear the burden of proof, because they are making the positive claim that the defendant has committed a crime.

To take a skeptical position regarding an extraordinary claim for which one has not been provided with compelling evidence is not an act of faith; it is simple common sense. Here is an analogous situation: supposedly, as a Christian, you do not believe in the Roman or Aztec gods. Is it just as much an "act of faith" on your part not to believe in those gods as it was for the Romans and Aztecs to believe in them? If a man walks up to you and says he has an invisible magic elf sitting on his head, do you automatically believe his claim? If not, is it an "act of faith" on your part not to? Or are you simply responding to the claim with common sense and skepticism because the man has failed to provide you with adequate evidence for his elf? Choosing not to believe in something when you have no reason to believe in that thing is not an act of faith, it is just the smart thing to do.

Finally, one can turn to the Bible's definition of faith--the "substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen"--to see that this is a definition that excludes disbelief. So if you still don't agree with us that atheism is not a faith, then check your Bibles.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I've heard that all before.

Believing a designer isn't necessary means you believe the universe was capable of coming about on its own. That's a positive claim.

And atheism doesn't make any positive empirical propositions, but it makes positive metaphysical propositions, it's just that people aren't educated in mp so they don't realise it.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
I've heard that all before.

Believing a designer isn't necessary means you believe the universe was capable of coming about on its own. That's a positive claim.

And atheism doesn't make any positive empirical propositions, but it makes positive metaphysical propositions, it's just that people aren't educated in mp so they don't realise it.

The problem with your logic is that you seem to think that an intelligent mind had to of created everything, if not than the universe appeared by itself...

Athiests (atleast agnostic athiests) are saying we don't know who or what started the universe, or if it came to be by itself, we aren't sure. We just don't believe in a designer because there's no evidence to prove it yet. We are open to any possible solutions we aren't claiming the universe started by itself, we just don't and don't make any assumptions. We just don't know.

Athiesm isn't saying we lack belief in a desginer so the universe started by itself, we don't know if a who or what started the universe...or if it needs something to start it in the first place...

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm a philosopher of religion, I've heard all this before. You don't need to repeat it.

I know what your position is.

If you demand empirical evidence for a designer, then you believe that a designer isn't metaphysically necessary, in that you believe that it's possible the universe could have come about without one. That doesn't mean that you know for sure it came about without one, but it means you find it logically possible, otherwise you'd believe in a designer.

Theists such as myself don't require empirical evidence because we believe God is metaphysically necessary. I don't need empirical evidence that you have parents, because I know that by necessity,given your existence, I know your parents must have existed at some point before you did.

Now simply believing God is not metaphysically necessary (again, which is what you're doing if you require empirical evidence for his existence) is a metaphysically positive proposition.

This has a lot of implications in your metaphysics, but people aren't educated in mp so they're not aware of it. I could go more into it, and explain the mp propositions you're assuming, but that takes too long and I've done it too many times.

Top Bottom