• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EX Brawl Codeset BETA (Now Taking Community Suggestions)

ratts

Smash Apprentice
I do, when more lines are available I'll probably just combine the plussery set with EX and get the best of both worlds :D

ratts

Smash Apprentice
you still can, it just has a more full character selection screen, so you don't have to hold L or anything.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
the character select screen doesn't prohibit character switches, it merely offers an easier way to switch between characters w/o having to click on them or hold L

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I think i've got the unrestricted button mapping down. I'm not sure i'll add it yet. I'll have to contact some higher ups in the community on their opinion of having unrestricted controls in tournament. I don't think it'll be an issue though, since you'll be forced to not use those controls on wiis not running EX Brawl.
Both this code, and "pick any color," seem to me they potentially influence game play.

One factor of the game is the fact of certain things being allowed to be input, and certain inputs being constrained to occur in a certain way. We don't allow people to use turbo controllers. We certainly wouldn't allow players to use macros (for, say, DAC). Why is that? We must believe controls are a part of the game.

Similarly, while being able to pick any costume for teams match would make sense, the fact is that picking the very same color, for the very fact of those "mindgames" you might get - the change to the experience of noticing which player is which - is a change to the game.

The way I understand your "no gameplay modding" principle, it is imperative to avoid anything which is even suspiciously gameplay-influencing.

Also, the thing with the character chip going back to Samus from ZSS seems fixable. It may not be. Can I see commented code (or is all of this just found through pure experimentation?) See, if the code works by checking what character you ended the game with, then going back to a point on the CS screen, you can change ZSS to point to the icon you created. But if the game gets you to ZSS "through" having picked Samus - even with the appearance of having distinguished that on the custom CS screen - and the game just remembers from the time when you picked your character, then this is likely not fixable.

Not unless you have the expertise to rebuild the ZSS selection from the ground up.

Actually, I think you can answer this question with a simple test: When you put the chip on ZSS, do you still get that long load time going to Stage Select? Or does it preload Zamus? I mean I highly douibt it preloads Zamus without work done on the coders' part, but if he/they could get the game to do that, he could probably "fix" this.

.... wait, though... isn't this also a gameplay change? After a ZSS match, returning and pressing start right away plays you a game as Samus (after another inflated load time, though).

With the Random character icon, if *I* were writing that code, I'd have made it just pick a random icon on the screen and move the chip there. If that's what Nintendo people did, you're likely out of luck. If they wrote it to randomize a number and then pick based on that number, then (a) they have horrible style as programmers and should kill themselves :mad: and (b) you could fix this, by making the range larger and fixing the stats to have appropriate ratios.
If they made it randomly pick a representation of the character, then go to that character's icon, you should be good, too.

I'm not clear on what the problem right now is, though. What is the functionality of the random icon as-is?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
the button mapping code is still being considered.

The color changing code doesn't allow you to play as a red costume on the green team, and there's already a way to select the same character color in brawl (via changing it to a teams game and back w/ varying open/ closed character boxes), the code just makes it easier to do.

The ZSS Icon thing does actually preload the ZSS model, as any replays will stall for a second at the beginning, and the icon returning to samus isn't gameplay affecting because it only makes a change on the CSS.

nevershootme

Smash Master
the current issue with the provided CSS code on the 1st post is that at a certain point in time, players can't pick IC's, pit, and snake. even if you exit the game and back to the press start screen, the glitch is still there. overall, there's a problem with the code :)

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
the button mapping code is still being considered.

The color changing code doesn't allow you to play as a red costume on the green team, and there's already a way to select the same character color in brawl (via changing it to a teams game and back w/ varying open/ closed character boxes), the code just makes it easier to do.
That's fair.

The ZSS Icon thing does actually preload the ZSS model, as any replays will stall for a second at the beginning, and the icon returning to samus isn't gameplay affecting because it only makes a change on the CSS.
But you ruled out changing the default setting for tap jump. It "only" makes a change on the controller configuration screen.

To continue though, if the code so far gets ZSS preloaded, I'm certain there's a way to make the chip go back to her.
To figure it out, you've got to see in what ways you can change the chip behaviour for any other character.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
The tap jump issue (which I actually didn't respond to) shouldn't be included because most people (or at least a sizeable %) don't use tap jump off, so there'd be only favoritism to make it default to that. With that in mind, if you want it to default that way on your system because it's more convenient for you, by all means add it. It shouldn't, however, be included in the official codeset because it's just preference.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
lol. well i guess when u post like that you automatically win.

Anyway i guess im on my own on this debate so i'll stop!
Actually, I agree with you 100%.

Also, I think that these codes shouldn't add up to over 200. In my opinion, Brawl+ is better. IDK how anyone doesn't like Brawl+.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
this codeset is for making vBrawl look more bad a**. that's it.
its not in any way attempting to imitate Brawl+.

my original CSS code I posted supposedly makes the pokés individual, meaning no PT (wild). that's what the giga and company code was for.
I dunno if you guys prefer to switch the wild pokés for starting with that poké as PT. i guess it affects gameplay, seeing as wild pokés have infinite stamina and don't switch on death or down-b.

I dunno why, but the freezing glitch happens to me every so often as well...in fact, it freezes the last 2 rows, incluiding random. Im guessing its some sort of messed up glitch where if you don't choose a character down there, you can't use them. I main ROB, so i rarely experience it...

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
I think i've got the unrestricted button mapping down. I'm not sure i'll add it yet. I'll have to contact some higher ups in the community on their opinion of having unrestricted controls in tournament. I don't think it'll be an issue though, since you'll be forced to not use those controls on wiis not running EX Brawl.

The CSS does NOT run the independent pokemon engine, so when you pick like, "Squirtle" you just get PT starting as squirtle. Would that other code still be needed?
Couldn't you theoretically add the independent pokemon code into EX brawl and simply not allow people to play these "bonus characters" in tournament? Or do you want to make sure this is 100% tournament viable no questions asked ever ever ever? Just a thought.

GREAT job with this though, as this weekend I was planning on doing the exact same thing with my giant mess of codes lying around ^_^

this codeset is for making vBrawl look more bad a**. that's it.
its not in any way attempting to imitate Brawl+.

my original CSS code I posted supposedly makes the pokés individual, meaning no PT (wild). that's what the giga and company code was for.
I dunno if you guys prefer to switch the wild pokés for starting with that poké as PT. i guess it affects gameplay, seeing as wild pokés have infinite stamina and don't switch on death or down-b.
Hey do you know if it is possible to have all the regular characters (PT regular, Samus/ZSS split, Sheik/Zelda split as well + the rest of the standard cast) all on the select screen normally, however on the far right side you could have a "bonus characters" section with giga bowser, wild pokemon, and sword ganon? You could reskin a random character box to say bonus characters and place it above them on the right. Just an idea? I think it would be B.A. Then it would still work in tournaments as all the regular characters are CLEARLY organized away from the hacked ones, and no one can whine about being tricked into fighting wild squirtle or whatever bullcrap people would come up with.

IF SOMEONE CODED THIS FOR ME I WOULD LOVE YOU FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
I'll have to see if the bonus characters have icons...if I get free time, I'll see what I can do...

II Bolt II

WS|Tournament Organizer
NNID
NintenBoLT
3DS FC
0748-2431-1255
I'm about to sound like a complete scrub.

I had a buddy of mine recently put the homebrew channel on my wii and I downloaded everything I needed (EXBrawl.Zip) and now I need help.

Could anyone give me a step-by-step guideline on what I should do, what folders I should put it in? I have alot of these folders already from the homebrew installation (apps, private, etc.) and I'm don't want to overwrite anything and ruin the applications.

EDIT: So I tried overwriting everything and Gecko loads up but there is not option to load title? I created a backup of everything I had previously on my SD card so I'm going to put all that back until I get a response from someone.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
A lot of the wiis in this past tournament here had this codeset. It was awesome maining outset Toon Link ;). Good job with the codeset Scotu! I approve

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
this is a good alternative for those who don't necissarily like B+. i'll definitly save the file to my comp along with the B+ code.

II Bolt II

WS|Tournament Organizer
NNID
NintenBoLT
3DS FC
0748-2431-1255
Ahhhhhh I CAN't get my Gecko to load up Brawl! It just doesnt give me the option... Help!

II Bolt II

WS|Tournament Organizer
NNID
NintenBoLT
3DS FC
0748-2431-1255
I didn't mess with any Notepad? I just copied straight from SCOTU's link, downloaded the Zip, overwrote my previous stuff, and nothing works?

Homebrew works fine, GeckoOS loads up, but as soon as it gets to the blue/black screen there is no option to load the game, and I can't even menu from my wiimote. I don't know if it locks up or what.. but I can't figure it out, and nobody has ever run into this problem?

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I didn't mess with any Notepad? I just copied straight from SCOTU's link, downloaded the Zip, overwrote my previous stuff, and nothing works?

Homebrew works fine, GeckoOS loads up, but as soon as it gets to the blue/black screen there is no option to load the game, and I can't even menu from my wiimote. I don't know if it locks up or what.. but I can't figure it out, and nobody has ever run into this problem?
Are you're Gamecube memory cards removed from the system?

II Bolt II

WS|Tournament Organizer
NNID
NintenBoLT
3DS FC
0748-2431-1255
Ah okay well that's probably it. Thanks. :) If I have any more issues, I'll be sure to be back. :p

SCOTU

Smash Hero
For some reason, my 3rd party GC mem card works fine in the slot when homebrew's running, although, every other instance i've seen of a gc mem card makes it fail. weird.

I think you should update the codeset with a modified CSS code in order to fix the ZSS switching to Samus after every match issue.
I've currently got a new version in the works. I've made a version that does fix that issue and it's sitting on my computer, but i'm gonna update it a bit with the new texture codes i think within the next week, make a few more tweaks, and re-upload a full, non-Beta version.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Has this been updated at all? (Bump'age)

Two bugs I've noticed

1. ZSS bug mentioned above
2. Whenever I load Training Mode the game freezes =/ (Not a big deal I know)

Edit: Question: 'Custom Textures (Directory structure pre-made)'
How do I load those? Will there be more in the udpated version?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
i've got the ZSS thing fixed already. I haven't heard about the training mode thing, i'll check that out when i get back to my wii. Currently there are no custom textures included (as that would all be a personal preference thing), but i have it all set up to the point where you can drag/drop textures (assuming they're named correctly) and they'd work.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Ok cool, I don't know anything about Custom Textures. So I'll leave that alone for now, but it would be cool if a few were thrown in there ;).

Edit: I have the same question as Bolt below me.

II Bolt II

WS|Tournament Organizer
NNID
NintenBoLT
3DS FC
0748-2431-1255
Well it definitely was the memory cards. Thanks for the heads up guys.

Also, I've got it up and running, and I've downloaded all the textures that I currently want, but how do I apply them? You mentioned a drag and drop sorta deal.. could you explain further?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
just put them (named appropriately. i.e. FitYoshi01.pcs) into the appropriate folders I've already set up under SD:\private\wii\app\RSBE\pf\(character name)

II Bolt II

WS|Tournament Organizer
NNID
NintenBoLT
3DS FC
0748-2431-1255
just put them (named appropriately. i.e. FitYoshi01.pcs) into the appropriate folders I've already set up under SD:\private\wii\app\RSBE\pf\(character name)
I'm assuming the appropriate name would be Fit"character name"Number?

What about the Pac's? Do I rename them the same as well?

II Bolt II

WS|Tournament Organizer
NNID
NintenBoLT
3DS FC
0748-2431-1255
should be named the same as the pcs, except with a different extension (should be .pac lol)
Alright Final question. The Image files.. how should they be named? Every download I do has a different name setup?

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
for some reason sometimes i cant pick the characters on the bottom of the screen, like ic's, snake. It doesnt always happen but when it does its like wth

Top Bottom