• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Exploding Field Glitch. It ain't just for Ganondorf anymore.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
So, I'm assuming you guys already know what the exploding filed glitch is... you know, where ganondorf uses volcano kick to set off the exploding blocks on green greens in order to cause a PERMANENT hitbox where the bomb blocks used to be.

Well, today, I was brawling with Pyrogamer, when, we set off an exploding field... the thing is, it was at the top of the stage, and niether of us was Ganondorf. He was King Dedede and I was Zelda.

Unfortunately, nither one of us can figure out what set it off by looking at the replay, and neither one of us has the means to upload it onto the internet. I sent the replay to Omnigamer... maybe he'll be able to find out what happened and/or upload the video.

But, regardless, the point remains that the exploding field glitch looks like it's non character specific... or at least, is able to be caused by some charcters OTHER than ganondorf.

If it turns out any charcter has the potential to accidentally set it off mid match, would it be enough to Ban geen greens? or would the match just be declared a draw and forced to be restarted?

Or... will we eventually find out what the heck makes it happen?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsLO6umj4Os
^VIDEO^ ^VIDEO^ ^VIDEO^ ^VIDEO^ ^VIDEO^ ^VIDEO^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQG9TEiGjKo
^Original Glitch, found by Omnigamer and my roomies^

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
the thing is... I saw nothing in that area set of a bomb ... could have been Din's Farore's wind, a waddle dee or DDD's inhale or spit up... but nothing else crossed even close to that area.

Crow!

Smash Lord
Volcano kick's startup time and DDD's inhale have some very similar glithy effects because their wind counts as a 0%, very quickly repeating attack. Here's a quote from the Advanced Technique and Glitch guide thread:

- Perma-Explosion (Snake/DeDeDe)
Have Snake set a proximity mine, then have DeDeDe walk near its trigger radius and Inhale. The Inhale should trigger the prox mine, and as long as the Inhale is held, the explosion animation and hitbox will remain on the screen. The explosion disappears if (1) DeDeDe stops Inhaling voluntarily, (2) DeDeDe is hit out of the Inhale, or (3) somebody touches the explosion's hitbox. Another multiple-explosion effect can be triggered by releasing Squirtle's Water-Gun or Mario's FLUDD next to the mine, but the effect ends when the water stream ends.
The original thread (which I wasn't able to find..) also mentions Ganondorf's utilt's startup.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
not the same though... these bombs explosions stayed on the screen even after they hit someone.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Well, banning Green Greens altogether is a little extreme, and would really only happen if it was an easy glitch to set off.

Does the glitch itself slow down the game in any way, or does it just set up an explosion hitbox and leave the rest of the game flowing normally?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
What exactly do you mean nothing came close to the area? The bomb just exploded & the hitbox stayed there? It sounds like it was caused by Dedede's inhale. If this is easy to exploit & strategies develop around this, then I can see Green Greens being banned.
Stage specific strategies...are not grounds for a ban. It just makes it a better stage for some characters (which is the entire point of counterpicking). Such an exploit is actually something we should encourage, provided it does not creat an overwhelming advantage (like running in circles on hyrule).

Now if it causes the game to slow down, or crashes it, then that's pretty much auto ban.

chckn

Smash Ace
Stage specific strategies...are not grounds for a ban. It just makes it a better stage for some characters (which is the entire point of counterpicking). Such an exploit is actually something we should encourage, provided it does not creat an overwhelming advantage (like running in circles on hyrule).

Now if it causes the game to slow down, or crashes it, then that's pretty much auto ban.
I would imagine that having a permanent hitbox would slow down/alter the match signifantly. And there is no way you can call a match a draw and replay it just because the glitch was activated, thats just silly. Depending on how easilly this glitch can be set off/exploited I can see green greens being banned easilly.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Well, I haven't tested the glitch myself, but if it's anything like Snake's mine glitch (just lay a mine with snake and have someone use inhale on it), then it shouldn't slow down the game at all.

Like I said, if it does slow down the game, then the stage will be banned. But if it doesn't, then I really see no reason to ban it. Hell, I could imagine millions of strategic uses for this if someone could perfect this glitch (or at least do it on purpose).

@Tehbo49-Yeah, I agree with you. I probably wouldn't be using the glitch much myself (I main Sonic), but as long as it's not completely broken and unbeatable, I'm fine with it.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
In melee Green Green's gave jigglypuff an instant grab - rest combo if she was on the blocks, and it wasn't banned. I doubt that it would be banned in brawl just because some characters can abuse the level to kill.

IR.O.B.edC.Falcon

Smash Apprentice
Glitch doesn't slow down the game, but the hitbox is really big. it's as big or bigger than when all the block are there. Also, if it was a din's fire that set it off, might it be attacks with fire properties that start it up?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
In melee Green Green's gave jigglypuff an instant grab - rest combo if she was on the blocks, and it wasn't banned. I doubt that it would be banned in brawl just because some characters can abuse the level to kill.
that's just a stage based combo... not at all the same as this... this essentially sets up a permemnant hitbox that is not only massive but is also VERY powerful, does not suffer decay, an cannot be forced to dissapear.

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
I had it happen to me with snake v DK, c4 is what caused it I think. Also fox v falco have no idea what happened there

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
It seems FAR too random to be able to exploit it, especially since we have NO idea how to cause it, but if we ever find out how, then we'll need to immediately ban the stage or, at least, the tactic.

But, if the glitch occurs durring tournie play accidentally, what would happen?

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
This happened to me when I started using Din's Fire and directing it to the bomb blocks, just do it for some time and it will happen. ;)

Muahaha and Green Greens is Zelda's Counterpick isn't it? :p

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I think I've done this while playing samus, but I don't remember the details x_ _ _x;
Honestly, if there was a way to consistently pull this off that turns out to be easy/quick, I can see this getting abused. It's like an extra defense as you sling off projectiles.

CStrife187

Smash Journeyman
It seems FAR too random to be able to exploit it, especially since we have NO idea how to cause it, but if we ever find out how, then we'll need to immediately ban the stage or, at least, the tactic.

But, if the glitch occurs durring tournie play accidentally, what would happen?
Why would we have to immediately ban it? It sounds like it would make playing Green Greens more interesting, and it would only benefit the player who was more knowledgeable. If you know about the glitch, then you shouldn't be surprised when somebody uses it against you.

don't be so banhappy.

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
I think it has to do with fire based moves cause all ppl that have been mentioned to do it have fire based moves.

Ganon - utilt
Zelda - Din's Fire
Fox - Fire Fox
Falco - Fire Bird
Snake - C4

THat is my theory, I can't test it now cause I am on a road trip and we are leaving now, so can others test it for comformation?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Why would we have to immediately ban it? It sounds like it would make playing Green Greens more interesting, and it would only benefit the player who was more knowledgeable. If you know about the glitch, then you shouldn't be surprised when somebody uses it against you.

don't be so banhappy.

do you even undertsand the glitch? if you did, I can't see how you could defend it.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I have also hard this occur with none of the characters shown in videos thus far. I can't recall exactly who, i think it was IC.

Just a guess: I would assume this is caused by improper placement of the blocks, possible getting destroy when another one is trying to spawn above it (like stable blocks blowing up before falling blocks begin to fall) idk. (UN -[ /s] it seems the falling block theory might be correct, see below)

EDIT: FOUND IT. In the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsLO6umj4Os watch at exactly time 0:52 Notice before then there is only ONE bomb block resting in the little hole. When zelda releases her Din's Fire it explodes very very close to the bomb block. So close in fact it looks to explode the bomb block. HOWEVER, a few split seconds later we see that block remains. This is what's causing it. I'm guessing it's some sort of phantom hit on the bomb block (or glancing blow, w/e). (Actually its the new bomb block falling from above.

Also note that before this, Zelda gets hit into the "glitch explosion area" from DDD's Up-B, so the glitch hasn't activated yet.

EDIT2: Second vid of proof of my theory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHfhKD8yCjw @ time 0:14. Again we see the blocks explode EXCEPT one of them.... somehow. This immediately triggers the fire glitch, which was not produce by any fire moves.

EDIT3: I watched all three videos again and I found something they all had in common. Right before the explosion of the bomb block that initiates the glitch, there is always a block falling from above it. In some cases the bomb block explodes but doesn't go away.

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace
Looks like Whispy Woods Wind blowing hit that Din's Fire hitting that bomb block, making that glitch happen. I think...(awkwardly worded sentence). The post above me makes more sense.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
I notice that at 0:44, Zelda hits the "block" and you can see her trajectory changing to straight up for those few frames.
Is that important in any way?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I have also hard this occur with none of the characters shown in videos thus far. I can't recall exactly who, i think it was IC.

Just a guess: I would assume this is caused by improper placement of the blocks, possible getting destroy when another one is trying to spawn above it (like stable blocks blowing up before falling blocks begin to fall) idk. (UN -[ /s] it seems the falling block theory might be correct, see below)

EDIT: FOUND IT. In the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsLO6umj4Os watch at exactly time 0:52 Notice before then there is only ONE bomb block resting in the little hole. When zelda releases her Din's Fire it explodes very very close to the bomb block. So close in fact it looks to explode the bomb block. HOWEVER, a few split seconds later we see that block remains. This is what's causing it. I'm guessing it's some sort of phantom hit on the bomb block (or glancing blow, w/e). (Actually its the new bomb block falling from above.

Also note that before this, Zelda gets hit into the "glitch explosion area" from DDD's Up-B, so the glitch hasn't activated yet.

EDIT2: Second vid of proof of my theory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHfhKD8yCjw @ time 0:14. Again we see the blocks explode EXCEPT one of them.... somehow. This immediately triggers the fire glitch, which was not produce by any fire moves.

EDIT3: I watched all three videos again and I found something they all had in common. Right before the explosion of the bomb block that initiates the glitch, there is always a block falling from above it. In some cases the bomb block explodes but doesn't go away.
OMG I LOVE YOU

that's absolutely right... that block exploded... but is still there.... I still have no idea how to activate it... but I see it

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
OMG I LOVE YOU

that's absolutely right... that block exploded... but is still there.... I still have no idea how to activate it... but I see it
Err... as much as I think Zac's theory makes sense, and is at the very least on the right track...

That's not necessarily the same block. When your Din's Fire makes the block explode, you can see (barely) in the top right corner of the screen, another block falling on top of it.

It's very possible that Din's Fire made the block explode, and then another bomb block fell and took it's place while the camera didn't have it in frame, creating the illusion that it's the same block.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I think I've figured out how to trigger the glitch.

If a block is falling onto a bomb block and you destroy the bomb block before it reaches it, then the glitch will be triggered. I'm not sure where the hitbox will be, but it seems that the hitbox will be wherever the falling block was at the time that the bomb block exploded.

If that's right, then this glitch can be amazingly useful.

XienZo

Smash Lord
At the end, DDD destroys all the blocks and then super DDD jumps through the area but gets no damage....

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I think I've figured out how to trigger the glitch.

If a block is falling onto a bomb block and you destroy the bomb block before it reaches it, then the glitch will be triggered. I'm not sure where the hitbox will be, but it seems that the hitbox will be wherever the falling block was at the time that the bomb block exploded.

If that's right, then this glitch can be amazingly useful.
I thought this was true too, tested it, not true. This glitch still needs a bit more work. Not sure exactly what's cause it.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Has anyone tried it with Captain Falcon's kick?

If it works with him, it's a property of the move, not the character. Ergo, moves with similar properties should have the same effect.

Top Bottom